Old 05-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #1  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

Default The Pact #3

We are 3 (sometimes 4) women who met in the “Buddy Up Forum” last summer (2004).
Originally we made a pact to lift weights, eat right, lose weight, and to support each other wile doing this. We’re still trying to learn how to eat well and exercise regularly.

We don't follow the exact same food and exercise programs, but we all want to eat more balanced and healthier.
We are very friendly and welcome anybody who wants to join us in the pact to lift weights, eat right and lose weight!

2005 - It's a new year and a chance to continue with our pact and take a step closer to our goals. Please feel free to join us in the new year with our new resolve.
mette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:54 AM   #2  
maintaining

Default First post!

Hope everybody had nice weekends. I started the new thread, the old one was getting too long.

Ang, I don’t want a job where I sit on my a** all day either – but it does seem likely that I’ll end up sitting down a lot. Do you guys have something else you’d rather be doing? A dream job? Ang, you want to be a farmer full time, perhaps?
I loved The Great Gatsby, even if it’s years and years since I read it. I have a soft spot for bittersweet and tragic tales. I had to stop reading Stephen King after Pet Cemetery; it scared me so badly that I had to sleep with the lights on! Heh… And now that I think about it: Gerald’s Game with the woman handcuffed to the bed, was very scary too. And Misery. And some of his short stories. Yeah. I don’t read Stephen King anymore…

I think my protein sources basically are the same as before: low fat dairy (cheese, cottage cheese, milk, yogurt), low fat fish (tuna, cod fish), salmon (but a lot of fat = lots of calories), eggs and egg whites, beans, and protein shakes/bars.
For dinner today I’m having omelet with cheese, onions and peppers, and fresh strawberries for dessert.

I’m down another pound and have reached the one-seventies! I was down to about 183 six years ago, but now that I’m moving below that - I’m moving into territory I haven’t been in more than 10 years. And it’s nice to get closer to goal, nice to see that I’ll probably actually reach goal too.

Have a nice Monday everybody!
Old 05-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #3  
maintaining

Cool

Yeah - I just wanted to post and bump the Pact #3 thread up on the forum page, so that it was above the #2 thread!
Don't mind me.
Just carry on...
Old 05-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #4  

Morning ladies.

I think I am all caught up with reading the past messages and such.
So, heres my post weekend update:

Got my results back on Sat. Nothing beyond the mild dysplasia was present, and she removed the areas of concern at that appt. So, from this point, back to normal check ups every 6 months - then if I am clear for a few years, back to once a year.

The difference between MFD and WW - is that MyFoodDiary tracks calories eaten versus calories burned. So they put you at between 1300-1600 Net Calories as the weight loss zone. You enter your foods in and it tracks all that for you, as well as tracking where your calories come from. So, you can look and go, my god 80% of my calories are from fat! That's not good. I am aiming for like 50% carbs, then 30% protein and 20% fats. You get smilies for meeting daily goals, and frownies if you are doing something that should be looked into.

WW basically is a resticted calorie diet also, but uses a point system. They give you a formula for figuring your points and such, that revolves around calories, fat and fiber. So I could have, essentially, a 600 calorie day, but if it was high in fat, be WAY over my point values. While it is healthier to eat balanced, 600 calories a day, regardless of what kind, is not enough to keep your body out of starvation mode.

Doing the point system this past week, and adding in how much exercise I burned calories with. Every single day gave me a 'too few calories consumed' frownie, ranging anywhere from 600 - 1200 net calories.

I like the meetings and encouragement from WW, but I think their point system doesn't count for enough variance in people. Dunno.

So this weekend was great. I had softball practice (first of the year) and am so sore. I also weeded the garden and took a bike ride. Sat. night I went out with my friends. (I ama bear, and thus have not gone out since like last fall) Anyway, they all dropped their jaw and one of them just kept hovering over me with a wide grin about how tiny I looked. I certainly don't FEEL tiny yet, so it was a good jolt to the head for me, ya know a 'Hey you, you're doing good'.

I am technically, 16.6lbs away from my goal weight now, and it is getting slow. (Or it could be slow because WW has me consuming too little and the body slowed down because of it) -but the end is definitely in sight.

I still haven't secured horseback riding lessons. I wish there were someplace closer to me- That'd make it so much easier.

Anyway. That's where things are for me. Oh, and I couldn't STAND The Great Gatsby hahaha.
lilwolfe006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:46 AM   #5  
Persistent and Stubborn

I was out of the office yesterday and have a visitor today and tomorrow but I'm around and will try to post soon. Have great Tuesdays!

mette - thanks for starting the new thread.
shyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:51 PM   #6  
maintaining

Renee – I’m fascinated that you manage to ‘consume too few calories’!
I must admit it’s a problem I’ve never had: My struggle is definitely to eat less.
What is going on with you since you’re not eating enough? Don’t you like the food on your plan? Are you afraid to stop losing weight if you eat more? Or do you feel satisfied on few calories?

Every time I eat less than 1500 calories I feel weak and drained of energy, and I’ll often notice being tired before I notice being hungry. It’s a bit weird. I eat 5 meals a day now, which means I try to eat every 3 hours. It keeps me from getting hungry and weak.

Yes, the end is in sight. I have about 16lbs left too, but I chose the goal weight because it gives me a nice round number (-80lbs in total), so I’ll have to see what happens when I get closer – right now I have no idea where I’ll end up. I have to see what it looks and feel like.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:27 PM   #7  

Hey mette

I dunno how it happens. Like I said, I am using this food tracker calorie counter thing. Today for example. I ate a total of 28.5 "Points" on Weight Watchers. For my weight, I am allowed 20. I exericsed for an hour at their 'moderate' level which, at my weight, earns me 4Activity points that I can, and did eat. I also used 4.5 of my weekly Flex Points (35 points to use wherever and whenever you want) All that said and done, the calorie counter said I consumed 1300 calories. But my exercise monitor said I burnt 450. So that leaves me at 850 net calories - IE TOO FEW AGAIN! It's really throwing my head for a loop.

I know that you need 1200 calories or more to stay out of starvation mode, but it doesn't seem like Weight Watchers works for that. I am going to post on the forums here and see what people suggest.

The thing is, I eat plenty. This morning, I had two Sausage Burritos from McDonalds. Have a salad from their for lunch. And an ice cream cone as a treat. Dinner was 1/2 cups brown rice, 1 cup stir fry veggies with 1oz steak. Then, a peanut butter granola bar and a brownie for dessert.

Weight Watchers figures points based on calorie, fiber and fat. So, those 2 burritoes counted for 14 points!!!! But had only 580 total calories....

We'll see. I think I might lose more weight if I wasn't always so deprived calorie wise.
Speaking of weight. Yesterday I was up 2/10th of a pound at weigh-in, which is really really minute and pointless to worry about. But I do think I'd lose better if I had this all figured out.

Well, to bed for me. Tomorrow is our first softball game!
Old 05-11-2005, 12:56 PM   #8  
Persistent and Stubborn

Default I found a couple of minutes.

Warm weather has finally arrived!

I am so tired of sitting in my office. The nice weather gives me a chance to get out and walk at lunch. I would rather be doing a mix of farming (full time farming is impractical on a small scale and large scale isn't the same) and I have been talking to bf about buying houses, fixing them and selling them. It would get me moving and I love to see progress on things. I haven't given up on it. I can't see being at this job for too long.

mette - S. King does have a number of books that are adventure and not scary but I know a lot of people get turned off if they read his horror and aren't fans of that genre. I'm way behind in my S. King reading. I'm just finishing last month's book club book and the next one is in a week or two. Yikes! Honestly, I am not looking forward to reading the Great Gatsby. I had to read it a long time ago and don't remember loving it.

Congratulations mette on getting into the one-seventies. Reaching new weights is exciting. As an adult the lowest I ever got was about 172. I can't believe I have gained 30 pounds in 2 years. New topic...

Renee - MyFoodDiary sounds great. I'll have to go check that out. Where do you get your calorie counts from?

I know it might seem like a waste, but what about going to WW meetings for the support but not following the plan? When I went there were no questions about my points for the week so I could have been doing anything. You could also look into other support groups for eating, Renee, if you want the encouragement.

Renee - good luck at your softball game. Let us know what position you play. I used to play softball and miss it. Next year I'm thinking of joining the town co-ed league.

I'm off for my lunchtime walk. Take care.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #9  

Hey ladies, I think I got the WW forum into a tizzy with my post about points vs. calories!! Woops. People tend to read stuff and take everything literally and negatively. Ah well. That's why you guys are so great.

I am going to try WW this week and see what happens. Another bad week of breaking even or some minimal loss and I will try just following calories instead of points. So far, of the last 10 weeks. The times I have lost the most weight have been the weeks I complain of 'completely blowing it, pigging out and splurging' - which really sorta helps the cause for the idea WW is not giving me enough.

I went to a base metabolic rate site, and figured in loosely what I do, and it gave me 2700 calories for my day to day activity. Weight Watchers, at 20pts, is giving you a 1100 calorie consumption day. (If you dont use your freebies)

Why does this stuff have to be so confusing and complicated?

As for softball, the temperature is currently 48 degrees, with a NNE wind at 20mph to give a windchill of 39. Yay softball. >.< I may be playing second base tonight. Or right field. Which I hate. I am so bad at judging pop ups.

It is a friends co-ed league, so its not all competitive, but I hate when I miss a catch!

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow after I freeze my fingers off.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #10  

Well despite my efforts, we WON our softball game. I missed a fly ball and I over ran third to get tagged out even after beating the throw. Dumb me!

Everyone was fawning over my weight loss though so I felt really good about that!

I feel like I have a done a bad on here. I have gotten really defensive about the WW points vs calories argument after someone started basically slamming me with I'm right, WW is right, you are wrong. I hate when people, (who the diet is working for) go off on people who it doesn't work for and automatically claim they are being wrong about it.

I honestly don't think that, even if the cardio machines are wrong, that I am eating enough calories to cover for the amount I burn off.

I think I will find a place that does that resting metabolic rate test thing and get the real results and go from there. WW is nice and healthy, but at the lower levels, I think it's sorta goofy. Or no, not really. If you are ACTIVE. Like an hour of cardio 6x a week active, I don't think the point system can keep up. Sigh.

Now I am all crabby.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #11  
Persistent and Stubborn

I just love having Fridays off. Unfortunately it meant no internet for the weekend because I couldn't get my computer to work at home.

I was so happy that the rain held off this weekend enough for me to get lots of time out in my yard. I don't know how much I accomplished and it wasn't really cardio, but I had a great time. I LOVE THE OUTDOORS!

I finally got to the store and bought a new pair of pants that are another size bigger. As much as I hated having to do it and spending way to much money on something so simple, I am much more comfortable today.

Renee - did anything useful come out of the forum discussion on points vs. calories? How many calories do you think you should consume each day? Where do you get your caloric information from (if it nots something in a package with a nutrition label)? I'm sorry the people in the other forum weren't more helpful. It is too bad when people can't be supportive and realize there are huge differences between people. I would agree with you that WW doesn't seem to be working well enough for you. At this point you are probably into good habits and have an idea of what you should be eating and how much. With all of your exercise I would think you are the best judge of what you need. Not eating enough is definitely detrimental to weight loss.

I hope you are all having better weather than me. Renee - has it improved since your softball game? I had a few nice days but then it went back to 50s. I can't blame my lack of exercise on the weather, but it sure doesn't help. Congratulations Renee on winning your softball game! Did you feel any different playing after the weight loss?

What did you ladies do over the weekend?
Old 05-16-2005, 03:34 PM   #12  

Hey there Ang - good to see you! Now all we need is a mette!

Glad you had nice weather Ang, isn't it such a boost to the spirits? I love the outdoors too. Our weather here can't decide which way to go. One day 80, the next 50, back and forth and back and forth.

With the softball, yeah, it did feel different. I didn't feel like people from the other team would call me 'that big girl' - and my base running was sooo confident it turned over confident! Hee, oh well. I'll remember that for next time.

As for the calorie counter, I am using a pay site called myfooddiary.com and it has a searchable list of foods and stuff, even dishes at restaurants. It's $9 a month and I am not sure I will use it forever. My plan is, that tonight, if I am not down a pound or better at Weight Watchers, to forget points this week and see how I do by counting ONLY calories in vs calories spent.

It's such a damn formula. Sigh, but I am keeping with it at least. I imagine last year I might have said, 'forget this, I quit, get a hamburger' - and now my quitting is only to quit and go to a different way of monitoring my food choices and health issues.

Don't fret too much about the pants hon, try to forget about numbers and just base it on 'this fits, this doesn't. This makes me look and FEEL good vs, this makes me look blah.' You'll get there. Summer is sure to help!

Hugs and good luck ladies.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:22 PM   #13  
Persistent and Stubborn

Renee - it's getting to the point where nice weather here means it doesn't rain. I do want the steady 70s though. It is very motivating though when the sun is out.

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember some comments when I played softball about my running being slow. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the weight I was carrying. Now that the first game is behind you, the restof the season should be awesome. Do you have any new softball goals for this year?

Good luck tonight. I have a tough time counting calories because I don't want to weigh things and a lot of the food I make is a little of this and a little of that so it's not easy to determine what's really in it. I got precooked tofu at Whole Foods today for lunch and have no idea how many calories were in it or even if it was healthy. I am amazed at the differences in you since I met you here. You seem to have really turned things around. Hopefully I can take some of that and get inspired.

Tonight is grocery shopping and errands after work. I should go running but after sitting and working all day it never seems to happen. It used to so I'm not sure what is wrong. I just always come up with an excuse. I had errands at lunch so I didn't even walk today.

Enjoy your evenings!
Old 05-17-2005, 09:49 AM   #14  

Welp, everytime I say WW doesn't work and I am going to change things up, it works. I was down 1.6 this week, which is wholly acceptable in my books for weight loss. The only notable thing I did different was to make sure I eat flex points every day, rather than save them for treats.

We'll see how this week goes too.

Just a quick check in for right now. *phew*
Old 05-17-2005, 10:20 AM   #15  
Persistent and Stubborn

Congratulations Renee. I think 1.6 pounds in a week is awesome, particularly when you don't really have that much left to lose. It seems like your 'modifications' of WW work well for you. Keep up the good work.

Last night it was so late when I got home that I didn't get a chance to do anything outside. I brought stuff to run at lunch time. I hope I don't lose the motivation to go. I've got to start somewhere. Losing this much weight (again) just seems so big. I can't seem to break it down into little goals or steps.

mette - you out there?