Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-05-2005, 11:44 AM   #1  

Default Thyroid.

I have a thyroid disorder which slows down my metabolism. It is part of the reason why I am as heavy as I am. I hope that I will be able to get to my goal weight even though I have this problem.

Does anyone else have a thyroid disorder like me?
freakshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:04 PM   #2  
Meg

Hi Freakshow! I'm hypothyroid (low thyroid) - is that the kind of disorder you have? If so, once your medication dosage is adjusted correctly, your thyroid problems shouldn't keep you from reaching your goal weight.

I used to blame my obesity on being hypothyroid, but then I woke up and realized that it was really because I ate too many calories and didn't exercise. Once I changed my eating and started exercising every day, the weight came off fast (122 pounds in a little less than a year). So yes, it sure is possible to lose weight despite thyroid problems!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:14 PM   #3  

Hello.

And yes, hypothyroid. It runs in my family. I'm not trying to blame all of my weight problems on that. It has to do with my poor eating habits as well, but it does put a big bump in the road. Thank you for your kind words.

Also, is that you in your avatar?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:24 PM   #4  

I also have hypothyroidism. I have been on medication for about 20 years. I can tell when I need to have my medication adjusted because of the way I feel. Dr. told me that it will be harder for me to lose weight because of it, but is shouldn't keep me from it.

Meg, I love the picture of you. It's such an inspiration!
Roxymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:28 PM   #5  
Meg

Yep, that's me standing in one leg of my size 22 pants.

No, it doesn't sound like you're blaming your weight on your thyroid ... but that was MY excuse for years, so I was completely surprised when it turned out not to be true!

I'm hoping that you find your hypothyroidism to be less of a 'bump in the road' than you think.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:34 PM   #6  

Wow, yeah. That picture is an inspiration. I'm in a size 24/26 right now. I can't even shop in the stores I want to.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:50 PM   #7  
Vegan Fat Chick

Thank you guys for starting this thread. I am hypo and it runs in my family. I sometimes feel like my medication will never be right. Every time I go they change the dosage...its been like this for the last 4 years (when I started gaining)
I definitely have had that feeling that I will never lose due to this but your post was really inspiring. I cut and pasted it and set a reminder to get in for another blood test I'm glad I'm not alone.
vggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:48 PM   #8  
Meg

My TSH levels are checked every six months and there's often a change in my Levoxyl RX based on the results. About six weeks after a change, I get my TSH checked again to make sure it's back in the normal range. I don't think it's unusual to have your dose changed frequently because your doctor probably wants to keep your TSH in the correct range. Sometimes it takes a bit of tweaking.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:57 AM   #9  

I actually had graves disease, and the doctor performed a radioactive iodine treatment which destroyed my thyroid. Now I'm on levoxyl. I gained a lot of weight after the treatment, it was 5 years ago, and I'm still working it off. I also have type I diabetes, so everything I do has to be carefully monitored. Vggi, I know what you are saying about your medication. My numbers are always changing. It seems like I'm on a different dose every six months. At least I've had diabetes for longer and am able to control that pretty well.

Good luck with dieting, don't lose faith and neither will I.
beckajw is offline   Reply With Quote