Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-30-2005, 12:39 PM   #1  

Question New gym member need some info please!!

I'm more of the aerobics type myself but my mum just joined a new gym and she was wondering what all the different machines are and what they do. She will get someone to show her before she uses them but she's the kind of person who likes to have some idea what's going on before she does stuff. Personally I'm happy to look dumb but mum isn't so keen. If anyone knows a good site or just has some general advice I would be really grateful!

Dill
dilleight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:14 PM   #2  

There are two sites I'd recommend: www.stumptuous.com/weights.html and www.exrx.net.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

I'm no expert, but I do use the machines at my gym.
They are usually grouped according to muscle groups. For instance, the machines that work your back muscles are in one area, while the machines that work your chest are in a different area.
Usually each machine has a sign on it that explains which muscles it works and how to use it. But, I'm glad that she'll get some direction, because it can be very overwhelming at first, and she needs to know how to adjust each machine for her height. Plus, she'll learn how to use the machine properly for good results and to avoid injury.
Good Luck!

Last edited by marny; 05-05-2005 at 09:25 PM. Reason: checking new signature line
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:08 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Funnigrrl you beat me to the sites I was going to recommend, those two sites are awesome....... Dill it's a very good idea that your mother get instruction and training on the machines......
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #5  

Thanks guys!
dilleight is offline   Reply With Quote