Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Doin' It The Old Fashioned Way #18

New thread!!!

For newbies, this is a great group of women who are losing weight through simple calorie counting and exercise. No fad diets, pills, etc. Come join the fun!
Aphil
Old 05-02-2005, 09:35 AM   #2  

Morning ladies,

I thought I would get the new thread up before I took the time for an actual lengthy post.
I have really been trying to get back into the swing of things after the hectic couple of months I had. This week I have actually went to some garage sales, read a full novel, and took a little break from how hectic things have been for me lately. Now...having had a week "off", I realize I need more WORK. Luckily, I just got an email for a small costume job-so it looks like I have something to do.
I do have things to do, dance rehearsals, etc. but I was SOOOO busy there for a while that now with a little free time-I feel like I need to be doing something more. The workaholic gene is a curse.
The costume that I won in the costume cabaret I should have pictures of soon. They are being developed and put onto cd. That peformance was really fun-although I was terrified!

We went to a birthday party for DH's niece yesterday, and I avoided the cake and ice cream like the plague. I was pretty happy about that, especially since DH's uncle works for a well known ice cream company-and they had about 17 flavors of ice cream there.

Holly-you are in my thoughts, dear. I am thinking of you and your issues at home right now. If you need anything at all, even just a friendly ear-let me know.

Aphil
Old 05-02-2005, 12:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 212/144/130

Hi Ladies

Holly~I can understand what you are going through. It is hard sometimes to work things out. It is like my DH and I have been trying to get on the same page again but can never get there. No one is doing anything wrong we just get on each others nerves. I think it is just a speed bump in this life time commitment. It is hard to keep a marriage going, you just have to weather through the pits falls. Sometimes it can be "slowly" going down hill and before you know it a few years have passed, then it can take a few years to get things back in place mentally and physically? I don't know you well....but I have a feeling we all go through these things at different time. We are here for weight loss support but I think by now we've gotten to know one another enough to lend an ear when someone is having personal issues

Jaklyn~ Great story and I know you are on cloud 9!

Lori~I am so proud of you....Keeping to your weight loss program and quitting smoking! You are turning into a butterfly........You have taken a divorce and used it to recreate your self and your life and I am so happy to see you shinning again!

I am just on I have been in the 150's for so long now. I have been feeling good but only having a 1/2 lb loss in a month.....well yesterday afternoon and again this morning I am at 149.4 !!! After being a 212 lbs I can not remember a time when I was in the 140's ! My tummy actually leaped when I seen that 149.....I got off and moved the scale and got back on just to make sure! I went shopping this weekend and bought some new summer stuff. Me and my DD went by our self. I noticed all the stuff I grabbed was too big and normally I'll have some fit and most be too tight! I was like, "are they making clothes bigger since I came last time"? But it was 3-4 different name brands. I measured too and lost 1/2 inch in my hips, 1/2 inch in my chest , 1/4 inch in my upper tummy and was the same in legs and arms....But like I said before all my weight is in my tummy and hips.
I can not believe I have gone from a size 20 to a 9/10 now
24.4 lbs to go!

Amy did you ever weight your self! It has been months.....

Have a great week girls and we can all do it...."one day at a time"!

Amie
Old 05-02-2005, 01:07 PM   #4  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoses
Sometimes it can be "slowly" going down hill and before you know it a few years have passed, then it can take a few years to get things back in place mentally and physically? I don't know you well....but I have a feeling we all go through these things at different time.
Very wise words...and so nice to have friends here. It makes me teary-eyed to know you all are here for me

amie, what a beatiful thing to say to Lori - comparing her to a butterfly - you guys are tight!

aphil, wow, you are always working on something, so it must feel like "downtime" to you when you don't have a specific project. You accomplish more in a week than I probably do in 6 months don't get burned out! (i know, easy for me to say )

and congrats on staying away from that ice cream! You are so disciplined. I must have told you all at some point that my husband used to work for Ben & Jerry's. Employees can take home three pints of ice cream a day, that's one of the "benefits". A benefit that leads to big hips and thighs!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're having such a late spring, our trees still haven't leafed out yet. The buds are there, and we had alot of rain in the past couple weeks, so all we need is some sun and warmth!!! Thursday might get to 55-60, that would feel great with some sun.

I have found the best way for me to chose my most challenging workout tapes....are the ones I avoid the ones that make me pop a sweat and groan and wish it were over! But when I feel it the next day, I know it's working
Old 05-02-2005, 01:10 PM   #5  
Biker Chick!

Thumbs up

-and amie - to you for reaching the 140's, and a size 9/10!!!! that is so wonderful!!! I'm sharing in your joy
Old 05-02-2005, 01:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 212/144/130

Thank you Holly and I am so glad I found this site and that we can all be here for each other........
Old 05-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #7  

Hi Everyone,

Amie~ Thank You so much for what you said to me in your last post, it brought tears to my eyes It was beautiful, really. It meant alot to me! THANK YOU!! I am trying, it is sad that it took a divorce for me to open my eyes but it helped in more ways than 1! I am happier now then I have ever been. I also am so proud of you. You have done a GREAT job loosing all your weight! You look great and I am so happy for you for hitting the 140's..(told ya you'd pass me )

Holly~ I to am thinking of you. I am sorry that you are going through this but I also agree with Amie that we all go through hard times and it does take a while to get back on track and find one another again. Communication is the key! My ex-husband and I had NONE!! Now we are divorced and it really took a toll on me and the kids. I have you in my thoughts and prayers that things turn around for you soon! Keep your chin up and remember we are all here for you! (and if you really need me I can drive to you )

Amy~ glad to hear that you got a mini vaca for yourself!(you needed it ) And I ,like Amie, are curious as to when you will be weighing yourself As they say "Inquiring minds want to know" And good for you for staying out of the cake and 17 FLAVORS OF ICE CREAM, my word, now THAT is disapline (and ALOT of ice cream)

Well I have done good staying OP, I went out and bought a Tae Bo dvd, we'll see how that goes I will be trying it tonight. My DS wants to try it with me so this should make for an interesting evening We'll probably end up knocking each other out The smoking is going good! I am just taking it one day at a time! This coming weekend is finally suppose to be nice out, up near 70 and sunny..(after a week+ of rain everyday and heavy at times, alot of flooding going on around here) so I am thinking of going and climbing a mountain, hehe, I miss hiking and I want to go sooooo bad, so sunday it will be a day of hiking!!
Oh I bought my wedding dress, I am very excited about it. What a great deal at 70 bucks I love it though, it is simple but elegant to! It has spegetti straps and an open back with 2 ties so I need to crack down on the workouts!! Will be ALOT of swimming going on this summer and next to
I know I am not getting married until Aug of 06' but I dont like to wait till last minute! Like Larry the Cable Guy says "Git-R-Done" I'm sorry that is stupid but he cracks me up

Well you all have a great week!

Lori
Old 05-02-2005, 10:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 217/217/156

Height: 5'4"

Default Rough day but good OP

Hi y'all,
Aphil, thanks for the new thread, good idea. I wish I had a busy spirit like yours. I'm the kind who wakes up forgetting why. I need a list like you'd give a little kid - unless I'm under pressure for something.

It was great to stop by and see all the love here. I got a terrible stomach ache around 11pm last night and was feeling generally lousy all day. Tried to eat as little as possible, still feeling bloaty. Plus I didn't get enough sleep as usual. I'm paying more actual attention to the calories - which I was doing more mentally before. Now I'm keeping track.

I finally noticed that by scrolling down i can read and respond to posts - I was wondering how you were doing that .

Holly - I'm thinking about you also, didn't quite know what to say. But others have expressed my feelings. I'm here too.
Amie - Incredible about the 140's. I will feel the same at 209! The digital scale has its bad points - I tend to look at the last 3 numbers, so I can have myself thinking I'm 138.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:26 AM   #9  

Morning everyone!

Lisi-My "busy spirit" can sometimes be a curse. I am also an extreme perfectionist so I have to really watch myself, sometimes. I get it honestly from my father and my late paternal grandmother-the two most talented people I have ever met. My father is a male version of me. He has taught himself to make/do just about anything-He built his own house (stunningly gorgeous I might add!) and my stepmother's office, does landscaping, carves intricate sculptures of wizards, people, etc. out of chunks of wood, is an outstanding cook, and even does automobile body work. I remember when I was a child and he had a car that he redone himself for car shows and he sat for hours and etched a picture of the car into the glass of the back window. When my younger brother was a teenager, he rebuilt a truck for him and chopped the truck top off into a convertible. He is just an amazingly talented man. My late grandmother was exactly the same-everything she touched turned to gold.
I admit that it becomes a curse because we always "have" to be doing something. To my knowledge we all have/had trouble sleeping, trouble sitting around not "doing" something. It is very hard for me to do things like lay out in the sun by the pool, sit and play a board game, or anything where I feel like I am not doing anything "productive". I hold extremely hgh standards for myself as well in everything that I do...so it is a double edged sword. I am not really "energetic" in personality...I am really more of a serious and "loner" type. My husband is the free spirit-and it is a good thing because he "makes" me have fun now and then! He keeps me from "stressing out" 100% of my life.

Lori-great deal on the wedding dress!!! You are going to look great!!! My SIL came up to me this past weekend and informed me that we need to start trying on dresses for her wedding next year and get that planning in order. Now I have more motivation!!! It is my "perfectionist" coming out again-because I must look better than every other woman in the wedding party.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:01 AM   #10  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil
Now I have more motivation!!! It is my "perfectionist" coming out again-because I must look better than every other woman in the wedding party.
and you WILL!!!

what an amazingly talented family you are! I am just agog (means mouth hangin' open ) at what you described your dad as doing. Wow!

good morning ladies! I forgot to mention your wedding dress Lori, that is a marvelous bargain, and how smart of you to give yourself all this time to slowly but surely reach your goal! and what a SWEET thing for you to offer, to even come see me in person if I needed it...that is just outstanding of you!

on the home front, I am just taking it one day at a time, and I am making sure I am doing everything that I should...I mean, I am trying to make the first moves in greeting when home from work, offering to make dinner or being the one to offer to clean up; asking how was work, how are things...it would be very VERY easy for me to think "why should I be the first, when he never does" but that just is counter-productive from the get-go...at least I can tell myself that I am doing my best (shrug)

Is it too anal to start a journal, of noting when he does things that I think are wrong? I can imagine it being seen by a spouse as super-picky, but otherwise, honestly, who can remember from day to day when your spouse didn't say thank-you for something nice you did for them, or grunted when you asked how their day was...

I had a great workout today, did 35 minutes of aerobics that were pronounced breathing-hard and sweaty as my exertion level, plus a few minutes of that tapes ab workout, then Gilad's 15 minute ab workout. Yesterday was aerobics plus Gilad's hips, thighs and buns. Ouch! Isn't it too kewl to find out there are muscles in our butts, not just squish

Still cloudy and cool out, chance of showers. I heard on the news that we have had 10 days of rain out of 12! bleh.

Lisi, how is your tummy? hope you were feeling better soon.

hello to everyone else!
Old 05-03-2005, 12:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/217/156

Height: 5'4"

Holly -
I'm feeling a bit better, really was the pits last night. Might even attempt a walk.
About the journal- I've had thoughts of doing that to record my mother's dreadful comments. But I don't. IMHO a resentment journal leads to festering and remembering all the negatives. If you're going to keep a record, then make it of the good things. Can you get in touch with the parts of you he fell in love with and bring that back to the foreground? Also, you can pray for his happiness. For 30 days.
Fortunately (or UN) my DH is VERY verbal. And some years ago he mentioned some parts of me that were annoying him. So I started being more like the woman he loves, upbeat, more positive, generally happy. (and boy, I'll really be happy when I lose some more weight.) He proposed to me in India after we had dated only 5 months. It was a romantic adventure. But then he put on the brakes and we didn't marry for 4 years. It's been nearly 13 years since we met.
It's been a lot of stress. He is an Aircraft Engineer and takes jobs on contract. So we go where the jobs are. Since we married on Long Island in 1997, we have "lived" in St. Augustine, Savannah, Wichita, Montreal, Maryland, Seattle, Wichita some more, and now Savannah again. We have owned the house in Wichita since 1998. And I had never been anywhere except New Mexico when we met.
Change the subject.
Later.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:19 PM   #12  

Lisi-I know what you mean. I tend to focus on the negative and really "hold grudges" with people. Sometimes for years. I can see someone who I went to high school with, even elementary school-and I will immediately think of a rude comment they made, or something they did that hurt my feelings-when we were all children! I do the same thing with my MIL-really badly. I think all the time about all the negative things she has done to me...the most foremost in my mind was when I was pregnant with Raiden, and she emailed Jason and told him not to let ME name him Raiden, because it was a "sissy name" and just went on and on about it to him behind my back. And the fact that she is attached at the hip to Jason's ex-and watches her children, helps her paint her house-and so forth. (Jason and I have been together about 8 years-and she just can't let go of this ex for some reason.) Things like that I really dwell on. I know it is not healthy-a journal for me would be a catastrophe as well. I do 100% agree that maybe trying to keep a positive journal would be a very good exercise instead. Maybe I should do the same. Try to focus on the good.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:30 PM   #13  

Howdy Chickies,,,

It has been such a long time since I have posted here. I read all the time, but get so overwhelmed at the posts that I cant seem to catch up.

Thing are doing well here. My little grandson and my daughter were here visiting me a few weeks ago. It was a blast.

Auntie Debbie brought Alexander up to visit while Mommy and Daddy went on a cruise.

It was his first visit here and my daughters second visit.
We had such a great time. I miss them so much. If I could figure out how to post pics I would post a few.

I am still up and down with my weight its always a struggle.

Ok,, time to get to bed...

Big hello's to all the old and the new !!!!!!!

Ciao for now

Nancy
Old 05-04-2005, 03:26 AM   #14  

I made a chocolate cake today ..... I promised my daughter I would make one this week for her dolly's birthday. And I only ate 2 little pieces, and stayed in my calories. I am so proud of myself. The amazing thing is a cake usually only lasts a day in the house, but my DH is out of the house for a while... And OVER HALF the cake is still there! I am NOT the cake hog! I always got the blame for the cake being gone. I was filled with doubt, were those pieces really that much bigger than I thought? Even with gramma watching the kids (she let's them get away with anything ) OVER HALF left. Now I know the truth sneaky sneaky husband. Now I have to get throught tomorrow with that darn thing looking at me all day. I just have to keep telling myself, I like being skinny more than cake. Bad cake... BAD BAD cake. I will not listen to you bad cake la la la la la la I'm not listening.

OK, not really on topic... but I had to get that off my chest.

And I stayed in my calories... Yay me!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:09 AM   #15  

Minuet-take a piece of paper and write "Bad, Bad, Cake" on it...and tape it to the outside of the cake container/aluminum foil/whatever is covering the cake. Make it a reminder.

Nancy- Don't worry about keeping up with all of the posts. Maybe that comment will be my incentive for starting new threads for us more often. Just jump on in when you can.

Today is a bit of a busy day. I have a small sewing job to do over the course of this week, and I have a dance private lesson this evening. My workout today is strength training...so I am trying to decide which video I want to do.

I am having a hard time this week dealing with temptation...it is that time of the month and I have been wanting chocolate and for some strange reason a frozen Sara Lee carrot cake-but I have not went to the store and picked one up. I hate feeling that way though!!! Hopefully in a day or two it will pass.

Aphil
Closed Thread