Old 05-01-2005, 08:24 PM   #1  

Default How many of you tried WW

How many of you tried WW before LAWL? I am currently a WW member & just not real pleased with my results and the group thing just isn't doing it for me.

Have you had more or less success on LAWL?

I lost 66 pounds about 10 years ago on a weight loss program that counted portions and calories, and had one on one counceling called Form U 3 (which to my knowledge is no longer around) or I'd go back, LAWL sounds a lot like this program.

A little about me....I am 5'3", 223 lbs and 45 yrs. I just had my first grandbaby and would really like to get rid of this weight & have the energy to play and live a longer life.

Please feel free to tell me like it is........ I'd really appreciate knowing how you really feel about the plan, is the money worth it? Heaven knows I've spent a bundle on WW with very little results.

Thank you for your help.
Joyce
Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:53 AM   #2  

I hope I did not put anyone off by the way I worded the above thread.....

I would mainly like to know the difference between the two plans and a little more about the LAWL plan. Is it balanced, do you count calories or portions, etc.? Do you have to buy their food?

I'm really considering joining based on what I've read here on this site and would really like to hear from people doing the plan before I go into the center and have someone trying to sell it to me.

Any thoughts or comments would really be appreciated.
Joyce
Old 05-02-2005, 08:06 AM   #3  
234/165.8/160

Good morning,

I tried WW several years ago and lost about 35lbs, but never really learned to eat properly or at least not well balanced. I'd used most of points on starchy stuff and then kind of starve myself. Needless to say, the weight came back and another 10lbs. Further, I didn't really care for the group atmosphere or the regular meetings, it got to be too much of a headache.

I've really enjoyed LAWL and feel as though this is a plan I can stick to forever. I don't really feel as though I'm dieting, but have really changed my eating lifestyle. I choose healthier options now, even when i slip off plan a little bit, it's a homemade starwberry shortcake with extra fat free cool whip and an 80 calorie shortcake and strawberries sweetened with splenda. Beofre it would have been a bag of M&Ms or a pint of Ben and Jerry's (or both). I like this plan because it emphasizes fresh fruits and vegetables, I've gotten away from relying on boxed meals for dinner (i.e., mac and cheese, boxed rices or noodles) and now steam fresh vegetables almost nightly.

I've lost nearly 60 lbs (another 20 or so to go) and feel great. I couldn't imagine going back to way things used to be. It was a lot of work at first to make sure I always had fresh produce and meats, but now it's just part of the routine.

Hope this helps,
Jen
auditgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:53 AM   #4  

Joyce: I've had success with WW before they got into all the point stuff. That diet worked for me and I've found that LAWL's plan is very similar to the old WW plan. Jan 2004 I started WW and in 3 full months on the point system I lost 12 lbs. Very frustrating to me. At the first part of April 2004 I started with LA. I'm a little over 5 lbs from my goal weight and I'm very happy with the results. LA has taught me great new eatting habits and how to make much better choices. Good luck.

Sy
SyracuseNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #5  

Thank you for your responses.

Jen - 60 lbs that is AWESOME! Your description of WW describes how I feel right now. I've been going for 16 weeks and have lost 5 lbs. I feel that I'm not learning how to make the right food choices. The group that I'm in is a minimum of 50 people sometimes more so you really don't get any personal help from the leader.

Sy - Great job on your success as well. Is the LAWL calorie counting or food exchanges or a combination of both? I liked the old WW system better as well. I don't feel that I am eating a balanced diet with the points. There is really no way to do that unless you combine it with the food exchange system. Then I feel like I'm on two different plans...

Thank you both for sharing. I think I'll stop by today at lunch and check it out. I appreciate your help.

Have a great day..
Joyce
Old 05-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #6  

Hi Joyce!

The LAWL program is exchanged based - so many Proteins, starches, etc. . . the number of portions and size of portions change depending on how much weight you want to lose and how far you are from goal.

The cost of the program is generally all up front - and it includes the weight loss weeks (based on 2 pounds/week) and 6 weeks of stabilization and 52 weeks of maintainence - so for someone like me, the total number of weeks started out at 100. But I figured that in WW, maintainence was free, but the weekly meetings were higher.

Then there is the cost of their lite bars - which are incorporated into the daily calories - you can buy them at bulk rate prices, but they are generally not lower than 20$/week. They also have various other snacks that you can buy. There is a rebate (50%) available during maintainence, but you are only eligable if you purchase the lites.

Alot of the plan depends on how strong your sales resistence is - they also have a full range of dietary supplements - including vitamins, fat blockers, carb blockers, Omega 3's and calcium . . .You do not have to buy any of these.

If you have specific questions please post back!

Julie
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 11:26 PM   #7  

I too, have tried WW and have had the same problem, I tended to eat all the startchy stuff or the bad stuff and then use my flex points, I had a hard time controlling it. I have had more sucess with this and I do feel I am eating more balanced, it is different and it has gotten me away from eating my favorite in a crunch meal: macaroni and cheese. It is pricey, but I think it is worth it. Also, it is more of an exchange type of thing.
haylo921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:39 AM   #8  

Thank you all so much for your responses. I've been reading everyone's posts and seeing everyone's success. You'll are doing great.

I couldn't get lose from work yesterday to go into the center. I'm going to try again today.

I look forward to coming here for support and getting to know you all. Have a great day!

Joyce
Old 05-04-2005, 09:02 AM   #9  

I too tried Weight Watchers, and hated it! I literally always felt like I was starving...and with LAWL I don't feel that way at all. I feel that I am being taught better portion sizing, and what foods are right for my body. WW is a waste of money, and time IMO.
Irishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote