Old 05-01-2005, 10:22 PM   #1  

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again #708

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have a bi-weekly 2x2 Challenge.
Our goal is to lose 2 lbs in 2 weeks.
We have a long term goal of losing 300+ lbs within our 300+ group in 2005.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!
Angela_aka_Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hello!

Such a busy weekend. At least it kept me from moping around and eating!

Friday was BBQ night at the horsebarn. It was a tad bit chilly but it was fun to sit around a fire. We took turkey Italian sausages instead of hot dogs and had light tortilla chips with salsa. If we're going to BBQ every Friday night, I can't be eating hot dogs and full fat chips all summer. I had veggies but forgot to take them. I also picked up a box of Snack Wells Black Forst devils food cookies. Wow, those were good.

Saturday was housecleaning in the morning. We had boat launching since the sun was shining and there wasn't much wind. But it was still too chilly to be on the water. The spot we have this year is going to be great for DH since he is having back issues. I got in an hour horseback riding before rushing home to get ready for dinner out with my brother and his fiance.

Here is why you should never order drinks when having dinner out. We went to a Greek restaurant for dinner. I tried a Mango martini. Wow, it was good. So I had three more over the course of two hours. DH had about the same in drinks too (we were not driving). Since I felt bad for not taking time to get dessert for afterwards, I said to put it to go on our ticket. That must have been the martinis. Our bill came to $142 for just the two of us. OMG! WTF! We're still stunned. Guess I'll be making those at home and taking my own jug. Not that I drink much anyway but GEEEZ. I'll be eating at home for quite a while after that.

Church was great this morning. Our ladies group is doing a "Getting a Grip" study and we discussed the things that we fill are out of control in our lives. I love this new group. It is turning into a great support group. Then the Associate Pastor gave an awesome sermon on "waiting for God" which addressed anxiety and frustration in dealing with what life smacks us with. It was all very comforting considering all the issues that DH and I are going through.

This afternoon was Spanky and my first Showmanship class. This was the first time for him to work in an arena with other horses. I have to trot beside him so I better get my big butt moving with the exercycle and trotting the dog on our walk. It was fun. Good exercise and good fun.

I just walked the dog so he's happy.

Whew. Time to watch Desperate Housewives that I barely remembered to record and then off to bed.

Angelal - Good to see you back with us. Wow, 2005 has been a tough year so far for several ladies I know. When I first read your goals, I read it as a goal of 1.5 minutes, 2.10 minutes, and 3.15 minutes and thought what weird time goals. I must have been bleary-eyed. How'd you do?

Catherine - It is so amazing to see those calorie stats. I'm so happy that you are finally moving off your plateau.

Leanne - I'm sorry to see that you're going through tough times. This should be a great time for you with all that you've accomplished over the last few months. Go for what you feel is best for your family and for you. Good job for getting back at the exercise.

Felicia - I'm not sure that I've welcomed you to the group. Welcome! Good job on doing the WATP!

Dogpal & Futurediva - Welcome to the group too!!

Lilion - Did anyone answer you about the WATP tapes? They are by Leslie Sansone and you can find them at Wal-Mart or Sam's Club. Yes, you do marching in place with side steps or other step moves along with arms movements. She usually has simple moves but they are good workouts.

Jennifer - 1.5 miles of WATP is pretty darn good! Keep at it and you'll make the 2 mile soon.

Audrey - Welcome to the group!!

Thin - How was the expo? Walk 'til you drop? I'll have to check out and see if they have one in the KC area. Sounds fun.

Okay, I need to relax and get in the mindset for work tomorrow.

Goodnight all!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:58 AM   #3  
You and Me in 2003

Hi ladies
Boy there are a lot of new faces around here. I see a few I know.
Things have been hectic here at work and at home. Needless to say I have fallen off the wagon big time I am back over 200. I put on a pair of jeans Sat and could barely zip them. I have to do something.

This Sat is my son's wedding. They are having it at a beautiful home in Canton. I can't beleive my baby is getting married. His fiancee is so sweet. I love her.

Work is crazy. They have changed my work hours so I am there in the afternoons when they are real busy.

My brother is in jail for a year. I guess tahts the best place for him.

The weather here is crazy we are having to use the heater.

I will try to be here more often I really need your help.

Has anybody heard from Tina? Wonder how she is.
Grannie39074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:10 AM   #4  
It's gotta be the glasses

Height: 5'8"

Well, I've been so busy attempting to write while I'm on the computer I've barely had time for much else while I'm on it. Since it's Monday, I wanted to do at least a quick check-in here. I've lost another pound as of this morning, which is surprising after the way I spent my weekend eating so much pizza. But I don't drink regular soda anymore, I don't order anything with a lot of fat when I eat out, and I'm making sure I'm eating fruits and veggies. And I'm still sticking to lifting weights every morning, so perhaps those are all contributing factors. Then again, maybe I'd have lost more if I hadn't splurged. But I'm not gonna dwell on it; what's done is done. It's time to get back on track.

Hope everyone is doing well! I'll try to be back soon.

Last edited by esmaraude; 05-02-2005 at 10:12 AM.
esmaraude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 11:24 AM   #5  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

Terri: Yeah, drinks at a dinner are a killer..in 2 ways. Each of your mango martinis was probably $7-8 each...multiply that by 8 and right there you're looking at roughly $60 without food...add to that another $6-7 for dessert and whammo. Plus alcohol purchases get taxed separately...and as I learned from my birthday weekend, it's weight that does not just drop right off. But you had fun at the time and it's not a habit...which is good...so there ya go!

Sounds like everyone had their fair share of excitement over the weekend. Yesterday we were running around non-stop...BF was late getting to my house, then lunch, then a stop at Borders to buy birthday presents for his dad, then a stop at the comic book store, then home for just long enough to wrap presents....then to his parent's house for dinner, which was interesting in and of itself. BF's mom and one of her friends both do HOW so that made for interesting conversation. After dinner, we then went to my friend's house for a quick Shiva call and then out for the night, where we ran into an old friend of ours who in the 2 months since we lsat saw him has developed such painful sciatica and a compressed disc that he is hobbling around with a cane. I THINK I convinced him that he needs real physical therapy (not just a few shots of whiskey) and that a physical therapist and orthopedist can help him learn to manage the pain...and that if he didn't drink for a little while it wouldn't be the end of the world. Some people are so stubborn.

Anyhoo...my office manager left this morning for her week-long cruise, so hopefully the office won't fall apart in her absence.

Happy Monday
JuleeCeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:22 PM   #6  

Smile

Good Morning Ladies!

And what a morning it has been!!! From the moment I got up - late - to trying to get ready for work, to running in the door five minutes late! My first hearing had a woman who just would not SHUT UP no matter how many times I told her to wait to be called or even threatened to bar her from the proceeding. You just have less control in an over-the-phone hearing. My second hearing wasn't much better! The third, apparently, isn't going to show up at all. Frankly, this pleases me...I'm done!

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who splurged on the weekend. Saturday's BBQ was a diet killer. I took chicken breasts, fruit and ff potato chips and STILL ate TWO 1/4 lb hot dogs, deviled eggs and dessert! I suppose I shouldn't feel too bad...I skipped the potato salad and if I hadn't had a chicken breast I would have probably had pork steak along with those two hot dogs. Yesterday I had a very low-point day though, and drank plenty of water and worked in the yard...so I probably will be okay. I've learned that one day off isn't so bad, just so long as I don't make a habit of it.

When my DH bought our scale, he called me from the store and said: "The highest they go is either 300 or 330." I, of course, acted very insulted that he dared to think I was that big...(I was 328) . He didn't know what I weighed, but knew I weighed more than he, but I told him there was a lot of pounds between 285 and 330! He brought home the new scale...that only weighed to 300. So I've been going to the Dr. office to weigh ever since.

Now that I can weigh on our home scale I like to get on it just because it doesn't say ERR! So Friday I hopped on and it said 298.5. Sunday it said 299.5. This morning it said 297.5. I'm going to try very hard to stay off it now until I weigh on Friday. I've always said that you shouldn't weigh every day because the fluctuations can confuse and depress you and I'm sticking to that. I'm still going to use the Dr. scales for my "official" weight. But it sure is nice to see numbers instead of ERR, no matter what those numbers are.

I hope you ladies all have a good, OP day...and that mine finally calms down!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Good morning all. It is such a pleasure to have people to talk to that know some of what I go through.

Determined: Yes drinks eating out will surprise you of the cost! I am happy for you to be thinking about taking turkey dogs instead of the normal ones to your bar b q. It is something that I am so new at this weight loss that I don't think I would have thought of let alone do. I am too afraid to call attention to myself. I can tell that this forum will give me strength to be me and do what I need to do without what other people think of me.

Hello Grannie and Esmaraude I am looking forward to getting to know you all!

Julee: did your friend's foot happen to be numb in his bad leg? I am having lots of problems with a hurt sciatic (sp) muscle in my left leg and my foot is kind of tingly and numb like it is asleep or something. It is kind of scarry but It is getting better the more I rest it. I am going to swim today so I hope that will be a help to it.

Lilion: Your post made me feel so not alone. I weigh a whole bunch more than any of you so I can relate to the ERR on the scale. I have to weigh at the Dr's and I am praying literally for the day that my scale doesn't have err on it. I will probably spend the whole day on it when that happens. My Husband knows how much I weigh because I felt like I was keeping a big secret from him at one point and I told him. So, when the day happens that my scale doesn't read err, I will call him into see it too!

Everyone have a wonderful day. I am so excited to talk with you.
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #8  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

I'm home from NC. Tired, sunburned and ready to face the scale tomorrow AM.

I'm off to catch up on 10 days worth of posts. Back later
j-ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:49 PM   #9  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Dogpal-be careful about substituting turkey or chicken dogs. They can often have just as many calories and fat. I use tofu dogs or healthy choice dogs. Whatever you do, DO NOT BE AFRAID OF BEING HUMILIATED. Obesity kills more of us than humiliation ever will. If anyone looks like they are going to look funny at you, tell them with a completely straight face that a report came out this week linking regular hotdogs to cancer. You are fortunate that your doctor's scale can weigh you. He has to send me to the rehab center at the hospital to weigh for him. His scale only goes up to 350, and the hospital's goes up to 550. When I was heavier than that, I had to use the meat market scale, or the truck scale at the recycling center. The recycling center printed me out a nice ticket. I found it was only humiliating when the number went up. When it started going down, everyone that worked there cheered. My vet had a scale for horses that I could have used, but I would have had to get in this sling that looked a little too much like the one they use on beached whales. I didn't need any Moby Dick jokes.

For motivational Monday: The average weight of Americans increased 10 pounds from 1990 to 2000. That caused the airline industry in America to spend $275 million to burn 350 million more gallons of aviation fuel in just the year 2000 alone to carry our additional weight skyward. That extra fuel being burned caused an environmental impact of 3.8 million tons of extra carbon dioxide being released into our atmosphere. Two commuter plane crashes in the last 10 years have been accredited to the plane being overweight because of underestimating the weight of passengers.

For those who do not fly, Chrysler, Ford, and GM spent $11 billion on health care costs for their workers in 2004. Internal documents blame health care costs for "lifestyle" illnesses such as smoking and obesity as hurting their competitive edge against foreign manufacturers, such as Japan, which incurs far lower health care costs for their eimployees. The USDA reports that American companies pay as much as $61 billion in direct health care costs and another $56 billion in indirect costs due to lost employee productivity and premature death due to obesity.

For today, I want to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:03 PM   #10  

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippievanlady
Chrysler, Ford, and GM spent $11 billion on health care costs for their workers in 2004. Internal documents blame health care costs for "lifestyle" illnesses such as smoking and obesity as hurting their competitive edge against foreign manufacturers, such as Japan, which incurs far lower health care costs for their eimployees. The USDA reports that American companies pay as much as $61 billion in direct health care costs and another $56 billion in indirect costs due to lost employee productivity and premature death due to obesity.
And while most employers and insruance companies pay thier health care costs, they don't pay for smoking cessation patches or pills or weight loss programs. Not trying to start a whole big deal here...but that just seems to make poor buisiness sense for the insurance companies and corporations.

Then again, even if it were available, I don't know that I would have stopped smoking sooner or lost weight sooner. People do things when they are ready, regardless of who's paying for it.

The day has been okay. I ate OP, except that I promised to buy ice cream for the clerical staff last week on Assistant's day and today the had me pay up...so I ordered some for myself. At least I ordered the low-fat. I'll figure the points and add them to my day, so I'll be okay, just may eat salad for dinner!

I hope everyone's had a good day. It's always good to read Catherine's posts...they make me think!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 333/220/185

Height: 5'10

Hey Ladies,
How Is Everyone? It Seems As If Everyone Had A Full Weekend!
Inclueing Me! Didn't Get A Chance To Post, But I Did Some Journing And Boy Did It Help! I Was Able To Side Step A Full Blown Binge :d Its Amazeing That The Simple Act Of Writeing Helps You To Look At Things More Objectively, And That Is A Good Thing.
Welcome To The Newcomers, You Are Going To "love" It Here!
Guys, When Do We Weigh For The Challenge
Got To Run, Got Some Smoked Meat On, Cooking Some Fresh Collard Greens!
Audrey
P.s Keep Your Eyes On The Prize!!!!
detroitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:14 PM   #12  

Hey all, I'm here two days in a row. Whooppee!

I've been trying to read but still feel too backlogged to really catch up.

Terri, BBQing sounded like fun over the weekend.

Hope everyone is staying OP. I wish I had some motivational Monday words. But right now you all are about the only motivational tool I've got. Thanks for being here, each and every one of you.
Angela_aka_Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #13  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi All! I know I'm way behind and owe messages to alot of you and just don't have the time for it tonight.

Mary: Good to see you back. I hope you'll make us a habit again.

Angela: Good to see you too. [[[hugs]]] for the lousy month you've had. Did they ever decide if your friend's death was due to foul play, or would you rather not talk about it?

Dogpal: Welcome!

Welcome also to anyone else I've missed.

The weekend was full for me as well. We had a hotel shop to do on Saturday night. It was the worst mattress we'd ever tried to sleep on. Woke up at 5 AM only to have to wait until 7 AM to check out the breakfast bar before we could check out and go home and get some sleep.

I was also a "showgirl" this weekend. Had a trailer check to do for "XXX State of the Union". It was entertaining. Very action packed. Very unbelieveable! Ice Cube is not Vin Diesel, but it was pretty good.

Sunday I had some easy department stores to do and then the paperwork for the Saturday stuff. Had mom over for dinner. I cooked a roast of beef in the crock pot that turned out real good.

Today I had a lunch job and took #1 Son. I enjoy his company and know that I will not have those opportunities forever.

The guys are watching Chronicles of Riddick so I'm in here handling emails and paperwork and chatting with you all.

Barbg: I'm interested in chat if you set another one up. I'm just not very reliable for times, so your best bet is to probably just pick a time that's best for you and then post it here and see who shows up.

Alrighty ladies, I think I will say ado for another evening. See you all later. Love ya bunches!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:18 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 340/240/155

Height: 5'3"

Cool Bored

Well, it's almost over.
I'm talking about my school for this semester, and I've got three classes to finish up. One of is Microsoft Project which is an online class, also of which I have to confess, I started late and now am having to cram all that homework assignments into three weeks. Also my other online class, Comparative Religions which is boring and now I've yet to get started on my final paper. And then there's American Sign Language which is live and on MON, WED. I really enjoyed this class but I am also looking forward to not having to go to class (place was about 17 miles from my community) which took up a majority of my time.
Ok the boring part, I know what I got to do to finish all this it's just that I don't want to I know, I know what kind of parent am I? not a good example for my kids but then they also know what it's like if you wait to long too. Anyway I'll get going and do some tonight

As for the OP part of me? Well, I am doing 20-30 minutes of exercise daily, eating on plan and drinking the water so hopefully next week I will finally be under 300 We'll see. You all have a good week and I'll see you lighter

Last edited by joe anne; 05-02-2005 at 10:20 PM.
joe anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:30 PM   #15  
Michigan Old-Timer

Judy: Sorry I missed you earlier. Glad you got home safe. How did the puppy do in NC?

Joe Anne: Just get it done. You'll be so much happier when you do. I'm a procrastinator myself and it is really a BAD thing.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote