Old 04-23-2005, 09:26 AM   #1  

Smile Sanctuary - #20 Everyone Welcome

What we really want in a weight loss support group, boils down to one concept; we are looking for a sanctuary.

Sanctuary means different things to different people. Sanctuary is a place of peace, rest, safety, and rejuvenation. It keeps our spirit and our sanity intact.

Many of us who have a long journey down the weight loss path find ourselves in need of a break. Sometimes our bodies crave it, and sometimes the choice isn't ours, but circumstances forces it upon us. Other times, we need the clamoring throng to cheer us along our way as we breeze past milestones and overcome obstacles.

Sanctuary can be all that as well. It is what you need and when you need it. Sanctuary can be found in good friends who aren’t afraid of your truths and in an open, honest atmosphere.

Sanctuary isn’t judgmental, neither does it discriminate or ask to be censured. It is open to anyone with a desire to share, and especially those in need of and willing to offer support
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 09:32 AM   #2  

Smile

I wanted to say Good morning before I start painting.

I got most of the taping off done last night so it shouldn't be too bad. Of course I also want to clean the carpet - we will see.

I need some coffee and Advil and then away I go.

How did everyone do with their last weeks hurdles?

Due to my new job I have to take a class, 4 days one week and two the next in Minneapolis. It's the same one people take to sell insurance. Leave it to the government to make us take a test to sell insurance when we do bonding?????

I will need your prayers I pass my test the closer the time gets. I will let you know when to pray away.

Well, no more putting off this painting. - I know I will be happy when it is done.

Oh, Gloria, mine is smooth but it has beams so I had to tape all of those off!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2005, 06:46 PM   #3  

Well, it's actually been a little over a month now since I started feeling kinda sick, I just didn't really talk about it until it got worse. This past four or five days have been the worst! At first I thought this whole thing was allergies, then the first time I saw a doctor for it (March 31st) the doctor said it was a respiratory infection, so he gave me Amoxicillen and cough syrup. Then nine days later when I was finished with the antibiotics and it still wasn't better, I went to the doc again. It was a different doctor than I saw the first time, and he said my illness turned into Asthma/Emphazema like symptoms, although he said he didn't know if that is what I had. So...he gave me Keflex (another antibiotic), an inhaler, and prednizone. Well, I'm done with all the pills and it's just getting worse. It must be a virus or something. Now what is really bothering me is that my ears are plugging up really bad and making me have such pain I can hardly tell you. I have been laying on a heating pad, putting this earache medicine that we still had in my ears, and it's only mildly helping. I have to get back to the doctor indeed. It's kind of hard because I don't have any insurance right now. Oh yeah, and I'm still coughing pretty bad. I was in such pain yesterday and soooooo frustrated with being sick that I just burst into tears! When my mom got home and saw how bad I was feeling, she kicked right into Mommy mode! She took such good care of me, I felt spoiled, but I really needed that tender loving care.
Anyway, sorry to carry on about this, but I know you guys wanted to know what was going on. Hopefully I'll be back to my old self soon!
Well, gotta go lay down. Talk to you guys soon!
Chelsea
Chelseagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:40 PM   #4  

Wink

Chelsea I am glad your Mom took charge and is taking care of you. Now rest up so you can post!!!!

I just got done painting. Well, I also cleaned my carpets - why, I am not sure right now because I hurt everywhere.

Gloria numerous times today I thought of sending you an airline ticket so you could help me paint. I thought my head would get stuck looking up.

One of my nephews stopped by at 8:30 to see if I wanted help tomorrow!!! So it looks like another exhausting day.

I know Kat has tried the South Beach diet, have any of the rest of you?

Jeez it even hurts to type!

My sister is in a dither because a neighbor girl got kicked out of her Mom's house and is now at my sisters. The girl is 17, pregnant and getting a divorce. She told my sister her Mom and step-Dad married her off to ger rid of her and now after the guy turned out to be a bad egg won't let her come back home. I feel like crying just typing this. I can't imagine a Mom doing that to her daughter. I guess this girl is from another guy and then her Mom married the step-Dad when the girl was 10. From that point on he was mean to her and she was ignored even more when her Mom and him had their own kids. She has no where to go. My sister is going to try and help her find some place that helps someone in her position on Monday. My sister has 3 kids and two older step-kids that have given her grandchildren so she already has a full plate. She feels so bad - if she could she would let this girl live with her but she just doesn't have the room or money to do that right now.

My sister said the girl is so sweet but is so nieve (sp) it is scary.

I couldn't help but think - all my complaining about painting and here is this girl - her own Mother doesn't want her - how awful that must make you feel.

Okay, I rambled..must miss Tricia

Old 04-24-2005, 10:33 AM   #5  
a work in progress...

OH, Lucky, your pictures of the Beatles made me smile! We must be on the same wave length, (again) I'm listening to them right now! Having my coffee and listening to the Beatles White Album...nice!

I wanted to apologize to all for not being around too much, I've gotten some bad news this week. My dad has had a recurrence of the cancer he had operated on a year ago. He started chemo this week, so my mind has been otherwise occupied.

I've been wanting to come in and post, but just haven't had either the time or the energy. We're going to take a ride down to Mom and Dad's today, (he's home) and just spend some time with them. The poor guy has been through so much, but never chemo, up to this point, I feel like this is the end of the line for him. I don't know if he has the strength to fight anymore. He's not old, only 72, but the last 5 or 6 years have been rough...

I have managed to NOT gain this week, a minor miracle in itself. When I got on the scale today and saw that, it gave me a renewed sense of purpose. Overeating isn't going to change a thing...it doesn't even make me feel better! That will be my biggest hurdle...to NOT eat in response to my feelings of sadness or despair. I will eat when I'm hungry, and it will be foods that will energize and nourish me, NOT sedate or traquilize me.

So, If I'm here, I'm here....if I'm not, know that I'm not far away and thinking of all of you. Hang in there, everyone!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:04 PM   #6  
Gloria

Kat, that is so sad about your dad. I wont say i know how you feel because i don't, i can only imagine what your feeling right now. If you ever need to yell, scream or just have a good cry, this is a good place to do it.

Lucky tells me your on the beach also. How do you like the S.B.D? I am on phase 2 and probably will be the rest of my life. Congrats on not gaining any weight this week. I know when Carl has lots of things on his mind, he tends to lose weight.

Lucky, what color are you painting your ceiling?

I am going to the movies with MIL in about half hour and i still have to get dressed and eat some lunch so will say so long for now.

Take care everyone,
Gloria
5 dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:49 PM   #7  

Smile

Gloria, so are you telling me you like the South Beach?

What movie did you see?

I painted the ceiling white. I have a gazillion trees around the house and it makes it dark inside so I hoped the white ceiling would help brighten it up - it seems to, but then it could be my wishful thinking.

I was so exhausted from yesterday and today I sat down at 3:30 - and JUST woke up at 7:15!!!! I have a lot to do to get ready for tomorrow morning.

Starting this new job and having to go to school will test my exhaustion level for the next few weeks.

Do you think you have more energy on South Beach? I really NEED that!!!

Kat, how was your visit with your Dad? It's tough and you know you and your family are always in my prayers.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:01 PM   #8  

Unhappy

Hey where is everyone?

I worked from 7AM to 6PM and raced home to see what was what here and - BLANK...

I know, Gloria, you must have some good story for me???????

Kat, how is your Dad?

I guess Tricia is vacationing.

Andria, Skitt, Tony, Chelsea, how are you feeling?

Okay, I guess I have to go and eat!!!!!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:05 AM   #9  
Gloria

Sorry i haven't been here much, Lucky. Sunday morning was a lot of running around doing errands then went to the movies with MIL. Went to see the aviator. The movie was okay, nothing to get excited about. Very dark.

Around 11 o'clock sunday night, my dog Sky started having seizures and finely at 2 A.M. monday morning she laid down and went to sleep till 6 A.M. when the seizures started again. I was exhausted from lack of sleep and cleaning up dog pee before the next wave of seizures started. The weather down here has been so cold at night i just couldn't put her outside, so we spent the night in the bathroom. Called my vet yesterday and he put her on phenobarbital which she started taking yesterday and last night there were no seizures. She's still acting strange, going from room to room looking for something but i don't know what. I just hope the med's help and we won't have to put her down. Carl and i are heading up to the mountains this coming saturday and i don't want to deal with not having Sky with us while we're up there.

So you want a story? Spring Hill Florida was this quite sleepy town 25 years ago, but now you cant walk two blocks without seeing at least 5 houses going up. With me on my bike, i can ride past all the building a lot slower then if i were in a car. Last week i was on my bike to the little produce stand on the corner and just as i was peddling my little/large legs off, there on the left of me was this man on top of a roof just hammering away. His shirt was off and he was wearing cut off jeans with a tool belt around his wast. His skin was so dark from being in the sun that he almost looked indian from the back. When i went zooming past this new house going up, i almost missed the man on the roof but then the glistening of his sweat caught my eye and i had to do a double take. Turned old blue around and back up the hill i go to catch another glimpse of this man. He looked to be in his thirties and had bleached blond hair probably from being out in the sun so much. His upper arms were very muscular and as i was riding VERY slowly to get a peak at this greek goddess working on this roof, he then spotted me and just smiled. At that point i was embarrassed that he caught me staring at him so i quickly started pedaling again. I did make it to the produce stand but had this man on my mind the rest of the day.
Cold shower anyone?
Have a great tuesday.
Gloria
Old 04-26-2005, 02:33 PM   #10  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone

This morning started out as one of those "I'm fat and everything I do is wrong" days, but I'm proud to say that I've changed that mood around and am feeling a lot better about the world and myself. I have a good workout beneath my belt and have eaten very healthy meals so far. The crock pot is loaded with dinner, I've already done a bit of extra cleaning in the kitchen, and I even have a walking date set for this afternoon! It feels so good to be able to get out of one of those beating myself up moods and move on without wasting an entire day in the pity pot.

Kat, I was so sorry to hear about your father. He really has been through a lot, and from what you have told us in the past, he is a real trooper about it all. Your family will be in my prayers. I'm really proud of you for not gaining through all this. *HUGS*

Lucky, the story about the girl just tied my stomach up in knots! I have pretty strong views on young pregnancies, even if they were conceived in wedlock like hers. Poor thing needs a chance to grow up and learn to give and receive love before she has to try to teach all that to something small and tender. I hope they are able to convince her to get some counselling and maybe she will consider adoption as a choice so she can have a chance at a life of her own. On to another subject... Wow! Do you ever slow down except when you are deathbed ill? I think I need to hire you to come spend a month at my house so all those little projects I think about and never really finish get accomplished once and for all! You really are one of my heroes. When I'm feeling a little tired and don't want to finish a job I've started, I think about you and how hard you work, and it gets me right back into the thick of things.

Gloria, I love your bicycle stories! The Greek god one just made me laugh and laugh. I know I would have been watching him so hard I would have ended up crashing my bike into a tree or something! Sorry Sky is having trouble again. I'm glad the doctor came up with something to help so you could both get some rest. BTW, I was thinking about you last night as I was taking a walk around my neighborhood. I just stood there for a few moments and let my senses soak in the sights, smells and sounds around me. It was dizzying, and I think you would have approved of the temporary sensory overload. Slowing down and really being in touch with the world around us is such a good thing.

Chelsea, you sound miserable, hon! *HUGS* Respiratory infections can be so horrible, and when they begin to go beyond into asthma type symptoms... ugh! Been there, done that. Just one more thing to look forward to when you are better and able to start working your diet and exercise program again, is that your lungs get happier as you drop weight. I had so many problems with my lungs at my top weight, and the doc promised me that they would ease up dramatically if I began to lose. He wasn't kidding! My life has changed a lot from that time, and I don't miss my inhaler one bit!

I'd better get out of here. I started some great cleaning in the kitchen and really want to get back to it. Getting all this under control does so much for keeping my head and heart clear.

Andria
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:06 PM   #11  

Thumbs up

Gloria, I am sorry about Sky- I will say a doggie prayer for her. The man story was GREAT!!!!! You are my kinda girl. Are you sure he wasn't older and looking for a Northern type gal?????

Andria I am going to call my sister after I post and see what has happened with this girl. I just can't imagine her own Mother turning her back on her. I can't imagine that - I mean I can see getting mad at your kid but to just abandon them. So sad.

I just got home - worked from 6:30AM to 6:00PM. I can't wait until I know this job and have it under control so my life can be normal again. Probably won't be for a month yet.

Gloria, who would have thought that old blue bike would bring so much joy into your life, and ours.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:37 AM   #12  
Gloria

I am sooo sick and tired of people trying to sell me stuff. Just when i sat down here at my computer this morning, the phone rings and it was someone trying to sell me something. Years ago i was polite and would tell the person i was not interested and hang up. Now, because i get so many of these annoying calls i just lay the phone down next to its receiver and let the person talk away. After a couple of minutes, i hear "Mrs........ are you still there? I figure if there going to wast my time, then i have the same right in wasting there's. I'm even getting people knocking on my door wanting me to buy or try there product. Grrrrr. Enough already.

I have three more days and a wake up before we head for the mountains in upper Georgia. Still have packing and cleaning before then but don't know where to start. Man i hope we have good weather when were up there. Last night and this morning the sky is all dark and it looks like it might just rain all day. My tomato plant was all happy happy happy when i went out to check on it and, yippee skippy, there are three tomatoes almost red and ready for that B.L.T sandwich. I wonder why my plants grow better after the rain then when i just water them?

Have to get my hair cut today before our trip so better go.
Have a great wednesday everyone.
Hugs to all.
Gloria
Old 04-27-2005, 06:37 PM   #13  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone

I just got back inside from planting flowers! Had my youngest out there with me, and we were having a blast. I wish I would have bought more, because we really were having that much fun. I was also checking over the tomato plants, and I have one turning red now as well! Wahoo! It is an Early Girl, which isn't my favorite, but I don't care because it is going to have flavor! I've had to cook all winter with these things they try to pass off as tomatoes at my work. You cut them open, and they are light pink inside and taste like nothing at all. Why bother? There can't be anything in the way of nutrition in there.

Gloria, you sound a bit frustrated with the telemarketers... It really does help out if you ask to be removed from their list. They are legally obliged to not call you again. It can take up to six weeks to remove your name from all their lists, but they have to do it. Also, when you apply for a credit card, start a new bank account or even get a new telephone line, be aware that all those companies sell your name unless you tell them not to. The new accounts are the worst, but even your old info can be of use for certain lists, so you might want to ask your bank and phone company about their policies next time you have a few free moments. You probably know all this already, but just in case. Oh! Don't forget the same goes for any charities you might help fund. Ask their policy on info first. Many charities share names with similar groups, and even if they don't, you can expect a call or two throughout the year from them. Most will respect a request for no calls.

Lucky, did I happen to mention that the cute cowboy (Bob) had a big belt buckle that said Minnesota on it the other day? I'm going to HAVE to ask him about it.

I promised to play a game with my eldest, so better get outta here! Take care, all.

Andria
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:52 PM   #14  

Smile

I can't imagine anyone wearing a Minnesota belt buckle unless he is from here.

We had SNOW today. It was just flying the air - but still.

Gloria, I just hang up - if I get caught - I usually watch my caller ID to avoid them.

Off to see my Dad.

Later,
Old 04-27-2005, 07:01 PM   #15  
Gloria

Have any of you seen the show "Homes across America? In case you haven't seen the it, its all about these huge gigantic homes that people have remodeled. Well i was wondering what they would say if my house was on that show. Probably something like "And here's Gloria's tiny little living room with the huge overstuffed furniture that there's no room for. And how about that kitchen. Doesn't that pantry look nice crammed jammed full of stuff you cant find anything without having something fall on your head.

I just couldn't wait any longer for that dang tomato to get red red so i picked it and ate the darn thing all by myself. It was wonderful! Do any of you eat cottage cheese and tomatoes? Don't really care for cottage cheese, but with my own home grown tomatoes, yummy'o.

Should start thinking about supper so best scoot for now.
Have a good one.
Gloria