Old 04-23-2005, 09:47 PM   #1  

Default How do you do it???

Hello there all-

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I have tried Atkins unsuccessfully a few times now. Many people I know have done it and it's worked wonderfully for them, so you would think that would be enough, but it sadly isn't. A few Q's if you don;t mind...

How do you get through the cravings in the beginning? I can't seem to do it, and then I just binge and say "okay I'll start again tomorrow" it's a neverending cycle of tomorrow's for me.

Also I notice I get very bad headaches the first week or so from the lack of sugar (back to the above mentioned...I usually cave and have a snack or a soda and feel better for a while but then I am always starting over) is there any way to reduce these?

Any other advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
kellianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:44 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Kellianne,

Welcome to 3FC's

Everything that you listed is very normal for pretty much all new atkins / low carb people starting the diet. I'd suggest reading the thread on FAQ thats on this board.

As far as the cravings, are you 100% sure you are only getting 20 carbs / day? alot of times there are hidden carbs that we don't realize we are taking in and this could trigger us to want to eat more. Such as spices, cold cuts, gum, coffee, splenda, sweet n low, cream, cheese, regular diet soda (other than Diet Rite) all this could trigger hunger if not under 20 gms. Are you drinking LOTS of water? You also need to make sure you are getting enough fats, fat/protein is what keeps you fuller longer on atkins.

Headaches are from carb/sugar/caffine w/drawl, the only thing I did was take tylenol to get me thru then they stopped after about a week.

Hope this helps. Also, plan your week and try to stay away from eating out for a while, untill you get used to what you need to eat.

Don't forget to eat your veggies.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:59 AM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Yup, what Leenie said

Welcome, hang out with us on the daily and keep us posted on how your doing.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:59 AM   #4  
Baby Steps

Kellianne~ Everything you've gone through is normal when you're cutting carbs out. It's like an addict cutting out what they're addicted to. Whether it's foods, cigs or other stuff. Expect the withdrawals and if you CRAVE it...don't give in. The worst will probably be over in as little as 3 days or as much as a week. But the important thing is to stay strong and get through it. Tylenol helps as does making sure you're completely on program and not mistaking a food as LC when it's not. I've done that TONS of time. Good luck!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 01:44 PM   #5  

Wow quick responses : ) Thanks all for the advice. I guess I just need to grin and bear it huh? I am going to try again...my start date will be May 5th, since I am doing a May challenge as well. I just need to tell myself that after 2 weeks if I am doing fine then I can maybe splurge and have an ice cream bar...I can't remember which brand it was but they taste like Frosty's from Wendy's (yum) : )
kellianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:20 PM   #6  
Baby Steps

Kellieanne, I did the same thing. Told myself "Ok, I'll give this diet a shot. Heck, what can I do but miss out on 2 weeks of more junk food." Was quite impressed of the results that I got so didn't WANT to give in (But hey, summer is coming and I completely understand the desire for ice cream. Mine'll be coming soon!!) and kept going. My mistake was giving up for the holidays. Just remember...give it your BEST shot for 2 weeks and if you STILL don't see results then you can always either continue onward or go onto something that might work for you Come join us on the daily chat thread!!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:27 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

The longer you stay away from sugar the better your success will be. With me, I was good until I said i'd give myself a treat, then it was harder then heck getting back on plan. How about a low carb treat instead of a sugar one.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:02 AM   #8  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

Sometimes when I crave something sweet I eat cheese a few slices of chicken. I try not to eat anything sweet (like sugar free popsicle) b/c I am afraid that of getting back into having cravings. I was off low carb this weekend and its amazing how bad my cravings are now.
rebelridergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:08 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

I agree the more sugar and unprocessed carbs you eat the more you want...

How about rewarding yourself with a non-food related item... a pedicure/manicure, a new sweater, new running shoes, a book...whatever you would like... I feel that most of our overeating problems comes from rewarding ourselves with food items anyway, so why add fuel to the fire when you've gone 2 weeks being so good to yourself... just my 2 cents...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:53 PM   #10  
Taaa Daaa!

I just take it one hour at a time, one day at a time. It gets easier, especially after the cravings go away. I find for the first week, I sleep as much as I can (which isn't a lot with a 3 1/2 year old! ). I also take aspirin and drink a gallon of water a day. When I want something in my mouth, and I KNOW I just ate and I'm just wanting, not hungry, then I put that water straw in! Stock up on Advil too!

Another thing is: when you get it all out of your system and then you end up eating some crap food, it is no where near as good as you thought it would be! It usually ends up making you sick one way or another .....I guess that's the good thing though, it helps teach you that it really is crap for your body (although we never listen )
Tuuurtlemama is offline   Reply With Quote