Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-24-2005, 01:10 PM   #1  

Default Pamela Peeke's New Book

I saw Pamela Peeke's new book "Body for Life for Women" mentioned in the threads. Any feedback on this one?
Gladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:42 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

Love it, love it, love it! She covers so much more than just eat clean and exercise. She has the whole mental hurdle aspect for different ages in life. She references 4 stages of life, being the hormonal milestones. In each one, she discusses total nutrition of what we need at that point - calcium, antioxidants, etc. She also talks about the issues that affect us and prevent us from being our healthiest, and how to take care of it.

She is also really into maintenance, and getting back to basics, like calorie counting if necessary, and getting in more cardio for those with more weight to lose. All of the exercises can be done at home with dumbbells and a bench.

This book tells me so much more than regular BFL did. I love the BFL book as well, but this one really hits all the spots that I need as a busy, stressful, menopausal woman that always found excuses for not losing weight or exercising enough. She covers stress eating, which I battle.

She does not have a free day. She does allow 'mini chills' when you really need something, like a little chocolate or a cookie.

I could go on, but I'll stop here, unless you have a specific question.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:08 PM   #3  
Mel

So, did ya like the book, Jennifer? Sounds like one I may need to add to my library. Thanks

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:56 PM   #4  

I am in the middle of this and am loving it and getting a lot of great ideas. The "Mind" section is fabulous and worth the price (truth in advertising - my copy is from the library ). I have never had a name for it, but now I know I get into a "Rumination Rut" and understand the BMW (B*tch, Moan and Whine), but more importantly, have the tools to get out of it. So far this one is a keeper and going on my "wish list"
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:24 PM   #5  

Default Re: Pamela Peeke's New Book

Thank you, Jennifer and Ellen, bunches and bunches for your helpful reviews! I definitely have to buy this book. (I understand Border's & Waldenbooks have it on sale at 30% off the regular price.)
Gladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:18 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Try Amazon to buy your books...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:42 AM   #7  

the only problem i had is it doesn't motivate me like the original bfl book. it's a great addition if you've already read bill phillips book but by itself, it wouldn't have the same impact as the original book..........but thats just me
mosher4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:59 AM   #8  

I've been a little hesitant about posting this, but *deep breath* here goes.

I thought it was a great idea to speak to women and the different needs women have based on "milestones" - where they are in their lives. Yes, my nutritional and exercise needs and lifestyle (for that matter) as a periomenopausal woman are quite different from a 20-something who has not had her first child. I really appreciate that. I thought the "Mind" part had some of the best information, tools and tips I have ever seen. The section on setting targets and goals and the piece on BMWs rang very loud for me.

Then I read the "Mouth" section and I remember thinking to myself "coming from a nutritionist, this is pretty skimpy stuff", mostly toward the food lists, not the advice itself. I thought "this must be where the editor cut." Those lists on their own are very limiting and I don't think many of us could eat such a diet "for life" with only those foods. Luckily, I know enough that there are many other specific choices with similar caloric and nutritional values. Overall, sound advice but could have larger food lists and menu ideas.

Finally, the "Muscle" segment left me cold. I was expecting something more instructional like the original BFL giving specifc exercise routines on specific days and options - this is what sold me on the original BFL and told me "I can do this". The appendix with the exercises is excellent, both in verbage as well as diagrams. I especially like the "don't" box for each exercise. What is missing is a descrition of *what* muscle or muscle group each exercise is working and a suggested plan.

I like Dr. Peeke and most of her articles and advice seem to *sing* to me - especially those on the Discovery website. Parts of this book certainly did. If I was helping someone develop their own library, this book would be a welcome addition - along with the orginal BFL, The South Beach Diet, 6 weeks at Weight Watchers and Thin for Life. This just gets back to my belief that there is no one answer for us all and there is no one perfect plan - you need to be a bit of a detective and find what is right for you.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:09 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenuw
This just gets back to my belief that there is no one answer for us all and there is no one perfect plan - you need to be a bit of a detective and find what is right for you.
those are my thoughts exactly !! Although I didn't read the BFL for women, yet.... I am a strong believer in educating myself, and reading, reading, as much as I can, then I take a bit of each plan and incorporate it in MY own plan...Experimenting all the time, because as each lifecycle comes around you need new requirements, in your nutrition plan, exercise plan, sleeping even!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:56 PM   #10  
one fat penguin.

Ellen.
I agree about reading some parts and feeling cold.
All I kept thinjing was " well what about me. I fit in between the childbearing and menopause years. Cant have anymore kids but havent hit menopause yet.
I was thinking of taking the book back after reading it. But I will keep it. Add it to my collection and from time to time look thru it.

Still like the original.
penguinbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:17 AM   #11  
WW Moderator

I see what you're saying about being in between groups. If you have your ovaries, but just can't have children, then you would still be in the childbearing years, hormonally. You haven't made it to menopause yet, so the Milestone 2 section will cover your body's needs.

Some parts of it didn't relate to me either. I did really like the eating plan, though. It was much more defined. When I was on BFL I think my fists grew!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:07 PM   #12  

I got the book at costco, and I've enjoyed it more than the original BFL book I read about 2 years ago. For me, the BFL book read like an infomercial for myoplex bars and shakes, and I didn't get that vibe from the BFLFW book (but I'm only halfway through, so that could still come). It doesn't have the same intensity as the BFL book, but for me that's a good thing. I haven't read into the exercise section yet, so I'll have to post back later on with a full commentary.

Overall, the book makes it feel like the program is accessible to me. I think it's good for a beginner type, whereas BFL seems more geared towards people that are already vaguely healthy.
trixiepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:44 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenuw
I've been a little hesitant about posting this, but *deep breath* here goes.

I thought it was a great idea to speak to women and the different needs women have based on "milestones" - where they are in their lives. Yes, my nutritional and exercise needs and lifestyle (for that matter) as a periomenopausal woman are quite different from a 20-something who has not had her first child. I really appreciate that. I thought the "Mind" part had some of the best information, tools and tips I have ever seen. The section on setting targets and goals and the piece on BMWs rang very loud for me.

Then I read the "Mouth" section and I remember thinking to myself "coming from a nutritionist, this is pretty skimpy stuff", mostly toward the food lists, not the advice itself. I thought "this must be where the editor cut." Those lists on their own are very limiting and I don't think many of us could eat such a diet "for life" with only those foods. Luckily, I know enough that there are many other specific choices with similar caloric and nutritional values. Overall, sound advice but could have larger food lists and menu ideas.

Finally, the "Muscle" segment left me cold. I was expecting something more instructional like the original BFL giving specifc exercise routines on specific days and options - this is what sold me on the original BFL and told me "I can do this". The appendix with the exercises is excellent, both in verbage as well as diagrams. I especially like the "don't" box for each exercise. What is missing is a descrition of *what* muscle or muscle group each exercise is working and a suggested plan.

I like Dr. Peeke and most of her articles and advice seem to *sing* to me - especially those on the Discovery website. Parts of this book certainly did. If I was helping someone develop their own library, this book would be a welcome addition - along with the orginal BFL, The South Beach Diet, 6 weeks at Weight Watchers and Thin for Life. This just gets back to my belief that there is no one answer for us all and there is no one perfect plan - you need to be a bit of a detective and find what is right for you.
I have to agree...after reading the orginal BFL I was looking for something with a little more specifics for food and weight training and didn't get it. I also really liked the idea of the orginal BFL of pairing protein with carb every meal, but with the women's BFL that may not happen depending on how many portions of each are allowed for you particular BMI (mines only allows for 4 proteins and 5 carbs). I'm still having a hard time remembering that low fat yogurt is a protein in her book while it's a carb in the original..I also miss the free eat day. ON the original I would only eat a free meal on the free day instead of pigging out the entire day...I'm having a hard time believing that "mini chills" are ok especially since she did not provide many examples of what is ok for a mini chill. I had come to believe that eating bad 1 day out of 6 would not cause major setback on any plan as long as you ate well the rest of the days, but with this ambiguous mini chill notion I'm left lost...any suggestions?
L-renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

I have the book (also from the library) and like Ellen, I like parts of it, others seem kind of, well, superficial. I did like the mind section, and the illustrations of exercises. While it doesn't tell exactly which body parts, I can usually figure that out. I'm using it to incorporate new exercises in my routine. I don't think that overall it's as "gung-ho" as the original. BUt still a good addition to a personal library.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:53 PM   #15  
Mel

I haven't read the new book, but wanted to add my 2 cents to L-renee's comment:

Quote:
I had come to believe that eating bad 1 day out of 6 would not cause major setback on any plan as long as you ate well the rest of the days
For me, this was the worst thing that ever happened to me. I spent months learning to eat correctly without bingeing, then I started BFL and Bill Phillips tells me it's OK to go back to doing that as long as it's only 1 day out of 6. For me, it was a major setback both to my weight management and to my psychological approach to food. I could never have achieved my physical goals eating 6 protein/carb meals AND a free day.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote