Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 09:27 AM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default Would this be healthy?

If I were to eat:

breakfast: half a grapefruit and a mug of japanese UME plum tea (very healthy)

lunch: a bowl of special k/all bran flakes with soy milk, an apple and some red bush tea.

dinner: half a grapefriut, stirrfry (side plate portion(rice/pasta, pepper, peas, tomato, garlic...)) and a couple of raw carrots.

So, without thinking about the low calorie content, would that be healthy? I don't mind too much if it isn't ideal, just as long as it isn't unhealthy. I am vegetarian so please don't suggest meat or fish.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:37 AM   #2  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

You still need some protein & maybe some dairy & whole grains. And way more calories. I think your body would go into starvation mode if you ate this way for too long. Also you do need *some* fat.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:45 AM   #3  
it's always something

I agree, you need to add protein, more grains, and throw a little good fat in there Some fat is necessary for body functions. Your menu plan doesn't look healthy to me. You'll end up tired, weak, your body will burn lean muscle mass instead of fat.

Do you eat cheese? That would be an excellent course of protein, calcium, and other good things you need. It's good for a snack or with a meal. Tofu would be perfect in your stirfry, with all those healthy veggies, and make sure you saute it in a healthy fat, not Pam

I'd also add something like oatmeal with your breakfast. A half grapefruit and tea will do little to nothing to give you your morning energy boost. Plus, studies have shown that a good, healthy, balanced breakfast helps weight loss.

What's with the grapefruit? If you are eating it because you like it and fruit is full of vitamins, that's one thing, but to see it before two meals makes me wonder if it is inspired by the grapefruit diet. The idea of grapefruit helping weight loss is pure fallacy, there's no truth to it.

Are you familiar with www.fitday.com ? You can sign up for a free account and enter all of your food, and it will tell you if you are eating enough.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:10 AM   #4  

i'd never even heard of the grapefruit diet... I like grapefruit, and if I am eating half for breakfast, the other half will have to go too. lol.

What would you suggest for protein? I seem to hate all foods that have protein in them. I gues tofu is tolerable but fried tofu tastes to me like paper. Anyway, i suppose I could have some tofu... Or an egg? egg white is supposed to be almost pure protein right? Then again i heard it's unhealthy to eat too many eggs. I could alernate between eggs and tofu... And maybe even lentils? (i hate them, but am slowly getting used to them)

Yeah i eat cheese... Cheddar and edam only. Oh, and parmesan...

about breakfast, the ume tea actually gives me lots of energy. Until now I have not been eating breakfast at all (except the tea... my mum sells the stuff and is convinced that if we don't have at least one mug a day we'll all drop dead), and I thought anything that wasn't fruit, anything too solid would make me throw up, it's happened before. I could maybe introduce something more substantial once i get used to eating again...

About the low calorie content... I have been anorexic (EDnos technically) for a couple of years and it has been hard for me to increase the amount of food i'm eating, and i don't think i could cope with any more than on there at least for the time being.

No, i hadn't heaard of fitday. I'll take a look.

Thank you both
Old 04-23-2005, 08:21 AM   #5  

ON the tofu tasting like paper... Tofu is marvelous at picking up the flavors of what it is cooked with. A great way to use it and find it tastes good is to slice it and fry it golden on both sides, then put in the pan two tablespoons of soy sauce, and a 1/4 cup water, and simmer gently for a minute. Then stir fry some spinach with a little garlic, and add the tofu to that, stir gently and serve. Very yummy!
Old 04-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

How bout trying some tempeh? I grew up a vegan and absolutely loved the stuff. http://www.tempeh.info/

maybe have a garden burger or some other meatless meat as I call it
Old 04-23-2005, 07:10 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofbeats
i'd never even heard of the grapefruit diet... I like grapefruit, and if I am eating half for breakfast, the other half will have to go too. lol.
You could also take the sections out of the other half & mix with other fruits you like for a salad, or I like the sections with a little avocado in a salad.

Quote:
What would you suggest for protein? I seem to hate all foods that have protein in them. I gues tofu is tolerable but fried tofu tastes to me like paper. Anyway, i suppose I could have some tofu... Or an egg? egg white is supposed to be almost pure protein right? Then again i heard it's unhealthy to eat too many eggs. I could alernate between eggs and tofu... And maybe even lentils? (i hate them, but am slowly getting used to them)
Egg whites are great for you, they are all protein & very very good for you. The yolks are what have the fat/cholesterol, but you know what? A little is ok & eggs have other nutrients in them, too. So start slowly, it's just that you could get 2-3 cartons of a dozen eggs for the cost of a carton of all whites. Protein is in a lot of other foods, too: nuts, seafood, dairy, etc. And yes, definitely alternate, so you don't get bored.

As for the tofu, season it differently every time you eat it, til you find a way to make it not taste like paper. (and then post those ideas so the rest of us will know how. )

Quote:
about breakfast, the ume tea actually gives me lots of energy. Until now I have not been eating breakfast at all (except the tea... my mum sells the stuff and is convinced that if we don't have at least one mug a day we'll all drop dead), and I thought anything that wasn't fruit, anything too solid would make me throw up, it's happened before. I could maybe introduce something more substantial once i get used to eating again...
Eating first thing in the AM sets up your metabolism for the rest of the day, also then you have the rest of the day to burn off those calories. I would start slowly, like a piece of toast or some crackers along w/your fruit & tea. (whole grains of course)

Quote:
About the low calorie content... I have been anorexic (EDnos technically) for a couple of years and it has been hard for me to increase the amount of food i'm eating, and i don't think i could cope with any more than on there at least for the time being.
It's all about baby steps.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:43 AM   #8  

thanks How do you all go about eating out? Me and my friends went out yesterday for St George's day, and me and a friend shared a pizza... my friends are always on my back about what I eat, and being the one with less food on my plate and the one who finished last, they think I'm falling back into my ED. I didn't know what to say... I hate eating out with them because it's just really awkward... I can't tell them I am trying to lose weight.

Thanks again for the advice... Mum is a tofu fanatic, she has tons in the fridge... i took a peek yesterday and i had always thought it was mroe fattening that that...
Old 04-24-2005, 12:48 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofbeats
thanks How do you all go about eating out? Me and my friends went out yesterday for St George's day, and me and a friend shared a pizza... my friends are always on my back about what I eat, and being the one with less food on my plate and the one who finished last, they think I'm falling back into my ED. I didn't know what to say... I hate eating out with them because it's just really awkward... I can't tell them I am trying to lose weight.
What I usually do is look at a menu online first, to se what looks good, but is still a healthy choice to eat. If they don't have a menu online or there is no time, I will order a salad w/meat on it (chicken, steak, shrimps), and the dressing on the side, and only use a little bit. Sometimes I don't even eat the dressing at all, the meat is usually flavored quite nicely.

This week, for instance, we are going to TGI Friday's & I have just looked at the menu & I know that I am going to try & sweet talk he waiter into letting me order off the Kids Menu. Their Mac & Cheese is the lowest calorie thing on the menu & it comes with a drink & a side. I will let you know how it goes.

Of course, my friends know I am trying to lose weight. *shrugs*

Maybe you could just tell them you are trying to eat healthier? No one should have a negative comment about that.

Last edited by SuchAPrettyFace; 04-24-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:13 PM   #10  

They know me too well. I'm actually surprised they didn't drag me off to the school counsellor again. They overreact a lot... Well the thing about where I live is it's a rather small place. The places we go with my friends (a bunch of teenagers with pocket money next to none) are cheap places that don't even have a website, let alone an online menu Anyway... i guess I could avoid eating out with them.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:57 PM   #11  
it's always something

Nooo, don't avoid them over this. Your friends are much more important than dinner. They love you and are looking out for you. If they didn't care, they just wouldn't say anything, they'd ignore you.

To be honest, maybe they are not too far off base. You already know that you are on an extremely low calorie diet, and I think that deep inside, you know it isn't healthy. If your friends have also noticed that you don't eat enough, then they are just trying to help you meet a more realistic caloric goal. You are probably either right at the best weight for you, or maybe you weight a little less than you should, but I honestly don't think you should be trying to lose weight.

That's just my opinion. Ask your mother or your doctor for a second opinion
Old 04-26-2005, 08:37 AM   #12  

Default My friends thought I was anorexic...

My friends in high school thought I was anorexic.

I've always been heavy but in high school I just dropped a lot of weight without really trying.. at least I didnt THINK I was trying. I got down to 125lbs (which looks bad on me, I have a large boned frame) But I wasn't eating much and thusly, wasnt hungry much.. my best friend became convinced something was wrong with me and told my other friends. One night they made me eat a thing of fries and a piece of chicken breast. My friend Marc had a horrible disease that attacked his intestines, so had to be hospitalized now and then and was telling me how I dont wanna be fed intravenously.. etc etc..

They just cared, thats all. They were a little wrong because I wasn't anorexic, but I did and still have a lot of issues with food. At the time I was too young to understand it all, but now that I'm older I see that even then I thought I was fat and ugly. Even when people complimented me, I didnt really hear it.. something in my brain just went the other direction.

What you need to look at is how many calories you want to get in a day, how much calcium, protein, etc etc you want to get and try to meet that. I don't know how die-hard a vegetarian you are. Do you allow yourself the occasional fish? Is dairy okay or are you vegan?

Protein - BEANS BEANS BEANS!! Pinto, navy, black, kidney..Use beans in recipes instead of meat - like chili, mexican foods like tacos, all sorts of things. Use barley instead of plain rice and that has more protein in it. Peas - split pea soup is a favorite of mine. Just make it without the ham

There are a lot of soy products available for vegetarians if you even exclude milk and eggs.. egg substitutes, soy cheeses, veggie burgers (boca, morningstar are some frozen brands), veggie hot dogs, soy milks. Why not make a shake/smoothie that can have protein mix as well as fruit?

Most vegetarians get enough protein by adding other things to replace meat. You need to have a well-rounded diet even as a dieter. Dieting isnt all about eating as few calories as possible. In fact, most people believe that will do the opposite and cause your body's metabolism to slow to a crawl to hang onto every little calorie they get. It's also not conducive to exercise.

My advice? Go see a nutritionist. Usually most health clubs have one on staff to help people along with personal trainers. These people will tailor a diet to suit your needs/desires and keep you healthy as well as losing weight.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:49 AM   #13  

You definitely need protien and whole grains. Try adding beans to your diet. If you search for the 20/30 diet plan, it has some vegetarian recipes on the website for free. Also, to decide whether what you are eating is healthy, try mypyramid.gov. It shows you how many calories you need to eat just to maintain. It also tells you if you are meeting your nutrient needs.
Closed Thread