Old 04-20-2005, 10:21 AM   #1  

hi

Last edited by gma22; 05-02-2005 at 10:11 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:16 PM   #2  
Web Nana

A BABY BOY.....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Maddy will be a little jealous for a while but after the newness wears off she will either ignore him or be so proud she will show him off to everyone. Well GRANDMA you only have to wait a little while for the next one. It will be nice that they are all so close in age that they will always have someone to play with.

Faye: I had similar problems with my HP and I had to send it back to CA for repair when it was less than a year old. I think it is a trait of all computer companies. They just sell them and then it is your problem.

Gloria in MA....going out to enjoy today's weather. DD returns from DC today and will pick up the dog tomorrow! Yeah!
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:06 PM   #3  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
We had thick fog this morning, some rain, wind, and now it is just gloomy and cold outside. The fire alarm went off right after school so we all had to go outside which made me later than usual leaving. Our new system is so sensitive that a cobweb or the wind blowing through an open window will set it off.

I talked to Beth when I got home from school. Everyone in the hospital is fine but Maddy is getting a cold and Will came down with strep throat. He can't handle the kids until he is done with 5 days worth of meds. They are planning on going home tomorrow and then the fun will begin!

"Gma" -- I hate it when computers don't work right and no one seems to care. Do they all think we will just run out and buy a new one or what? I called Gateway tech support a couple of years ago, spent a very long time listening to elevator music, and finally got some guy in India who didn't speak very good English. I finally gave up and called my isp and got the help I needed. I hope yours will stay fixed! I think Wal Mart is getting way too big for their britches!

Gloria -- I have a feeling that family get togethers are going to be just a bit hectic for the next couple of years! Now I'm thinking I wish we had more room or else we should move into something smaller so we have to go to their houses.

I need to see what is in the fridge for supper. Nothing sounds good right now but I know DH will be home soon. Have a nice evening!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 04-20-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:33 PM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I am sitting here trying to read posts . . . I have pink eye of all things! I left my contacts in all day and when I got home took them out and am wearing glasses that have the right prescription, but I just can't see very well with them.

I thought maybe I would get sent home from school but the school nurse told me to get eye drops from the eye doctor, wash my hands often, and come back to school.

We have a half day of school tomorrow and I'm thinking I may just stay home. I can't read small print with these glasses and if my eyes are still watering, there is no point in sitting through 8-15 minute classes.

"Gma" -- Yes, we have regularly scheduled tornado drills throughout the year. We have to go to rooms/areas without windows so use the kitchen, locker rooms, conference rooms, etc. Several years ago we spent over an hour cooped up because a tornado had been sighted and heading our way. It fizzled out which was a relief.

It's been pouring rain for the last hour or so. We need it even though our grass is green and the leaves are popping out.

My glasses are driving me nuts so guess I'll catch the news and head for bed. Hope you all have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-22-2005, 09:26 AM   #5  

Morning girls!

Jean: I haven't had pinkeye since I was a kid. I guess the nurse figures you would keep things hygienic more than kids. If I were you, I would get one of those little sample sizes of the antibacterial hand wash where you don't need soap or those wipes so you aren't running to the bathroom all the time to wash your hands. Hope you feel better soon. My glasses are ghastly and one earpiece the dog chewed off when he was a puppy so they look pretty bad. I only wear them when I am having a lot of trouble with me eyes or need to rest my eyes between contact weeks. I wear my 2 weeks then throw away but have to take them out once a week overnight.

Jack is going to have a lazy day today. Once a year from lunch to quitting time the guys play softball so Jack took his laptop to have something to do. He is past the softball age! Besides, the last time he played softball he tore the rotor cuff in his shoulder and had to have surgery and that was probably 15 years ago!

I am being lazy today. Didn't get much sleep last night, but I am up and around so probably won't go back to bed. Took Jack to work so I could stop at the store as I promised T yesterday at practice I would bring him bake him some cookies and he wanted choc chip and of course I didn't have stuff. Cheated and bought those "button" style quick bake things!

Have a good weekend everybody

Faye
Old 04-22-2005, 01:10 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Arrow Finally Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Supposed to get up in the 80's today and I am so glad that the swamp cooler got uncovered the other day. Then it is supposed to be in the 60's tomorrow. See Saw. I am telling you my age must be showing. I clip recipes that sound good and some now I look at and they sound awfully familiar of some I have already cooked. Sure enough ~ they are repeating recipes in magazines that I have taken for years. I check my binders to see if I have already pasted it in now. I have a couple that are double because I just thought it was a different version of a good one. Things do come back around. I have been going through stuff and deciding what I need and what to get rid of.

JEAN I can't remember how long it is that I last heard of anyone getting pink eye. That must be so uncomfortable. I tossed my contacts and use reading glasses and then have some others and shades. My eyes water and the contacts swam. Hope you get better soon. That is a good idea to get some of that water less soap. I keep some of that in the glove box of my car.

FAYE cookies! Children love cookies ~ especially little boys. My big boy ~ Cowboy still loves cookies. I am going to bake dog biscuits today. Yep I have recipes and bone shaped cutters.

Have a lovely afternoon folks and a delightful weekend.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:51 PM   #7  

Talking

Happy Friday, Flowers!
Since it was a half day of school today, I decided to stay home and use one of my 130+ sick days. I can't wear my contacts comfortably and can't see worth shmotz with my glasses. I can wear them for awhile but they bug me; at a distance everything is fuzzy. I can read for awhile but that gets fuzzy too. The eye doctor says it is because I've worn contacts for so long that my eyes need to readjust to glasses . . . maybe when I move to the nursing home!

I've done laundry, ironed, and sorted through some catalogs today. I need to vacuum up the fur hunks before I quit for the day. We are watching Ian tomorrow while his parents go to Amanda's grandmother's funeral. I will be fixing food for Sunday so need to make a grocery list and send DH to the store.

"Gma" -- I have no clue where I picked up the "crud" but the school nurse said it is going around in the elementary buildings. I have no contact with those kids so assume it must have been carried in by a big brother or sister. I keep a bottle of that sanitizer stuff in my desk and use it all the time, especially after I've corrected a pile of papers. I probably should have come home yesterday instead of going back to school but I didn't. According to the nurse, once you start the eye drops, you are no longer contagious. I hope she's right. DH twisted a knee playing baseball several years ago and ended up in the ER to have fluid taken off. The doctor told him to remember that his 35 year old body couldn't keep up with his 20 year old mind! He never played again and it will bother him when there is a big weather front coming through. I should bake some cookies for Ian but he will have to make do with Oreos.

Maggie -- I've done the same thing with recipes! I have a whole folder full of ones that I want to try and have found duplicates when I go looking for something in particular. It's 46 degrees here and so windy today . . . there is a wind advisory until 10:00 pm. I feel bad about the flowers that were so pretty as they will be blown apart if they have no protected cover over them. My contacts are the gas permeable kind (hard) and I've worn them for 41 years. I tried soft ones and had a devil of a time getting them in; I have such a strong correction that the eye doctor couldn't get it in soft lenses so I went back to hard ones. After wearing glasses all day today, I'm hoping I can wear contacts tomorrow.

Guess I'll go work on my grocery list! Hope you all have a nice evening!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 04-22-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Arrow SATURDAY in the MORNING

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a tad cooler here this day. I am not doing well this morning and am so afraid I am catching that rotten 3 week old cold that Cowboy has. I did the Zicam treatment in my nose so if that is it at least the duragion of mine will be shorter. This may be just alergies but I do feel rotten. And we are supposed to go to a friends house this evening for dinner ~ UGH.

JEAN I started out with the gas permerable hard ones and had a bad experience for one of them had a tiny can't see it without magnification chip in the edge of one and it scratched my eye. Then I used soft ones which were fine then I went to the ones where one eye was for far and the other for close up. It didn't matter which eye I put either in because my eyes are the same. They were weird to get used to. Then we moved out here and my alergies convinced me to get glasses. I don't need any to use my computer and only wear them to watch movies or to drive. Otherwise I can see well enough. I use little reading glasses for close work. I don't think I will ever go back to contacts now.

FAYE your dog biscuit recipes are on the way. I also sent you the web address that has the cutters. They have lots of other fun stuff there also. Even blinkers to put on your pets collar ~ for night walking. I have made wreaths of a variety of dog biscuits at Christmas time for friends who have dogs for their pet. They turn out real cute. I also tie a toy on the wreath. Life is good.

Well, I feel better already. Love that Zicam! I'll be typing at you later. Have a wonderful day. We are going out to the coffee roasters for some fresh roasted whole beans.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 09:41 PM   #9  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It is still windy this evening but the sun was out today so it felt nice on the inside looking out. Our leaves are really coming out on the trees; I'll be so glad when our neighbor's tree gets its leaves because then we can't see them and they can't see us!

We had Ian for a few hours today. He and Grandpa rode the riding lawn mower and then drove the big tractor up and down the street a few times. The neighbor across the street, who never speaks nor has acknowledged us in any way for 21 years, waved at Ian each time they went by. Wonders never cease, I guess.

I'm fixing food to take to Beth's tomorrow. I'm going to turn in my baker's button . . . I made an angel food cake and had a devil of a time getting it out of the pan. It looks like someone has already chewed hunks out of it!

"Gma" -- That is too bad that you didn't get to see T and give him his cookies. I tried bifocal lenses years ago when they first came out and didn't have very good luck with them. They would always turn when I was trying to read music so I gave up on them. They are probably better now but I'm used to wearing reading glasses and that works ok. We tried to learn to play bridge when we were first married and didn't have the patience, I guess. We play '500' and used to play pinochle years ago. I miss playing in the couples card clubs but all of ours fell apart due to deaths, moving out of town, etc. We were the youngest couple and paid babysitters for years. Good luck with your bridge lessons! I am able to wear my contacts today and have gone from drops every two hours to four times a day. My eyes aren't red and swollen any more so I don't look quite as spooky.

Maggie -- DH did the one eye near and one eye far with contacts before he had the lasik surgery. I have one eye that is dominant so I can't do that. I tried the Zicam tablets when I had my sore throat; didn't have a head cold so didn't try the nasal swabs. After the second day I couldn't do them any more -- they are gritty.

Guess I will go cut up strawberries for tomorrow. Have a super Sunday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-24-2005, 07:05 PM   #10  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It's been a bright sunny day in my corner of the world. We just got home from spending some time with the kids and grandkids. Beth is 27 today and 27 years ago it snowed -- didn't last long but I wore my winter coat to the hospital.

After we ate and played, DH and I made a quick stop at Sears because I decided I wanted what we used to call an electric broom. I had one years ago and really like it for sand from the sandbox and just general crumb pickup in the kitchen. I thought it might be easier to use than hauling out the vacuum each time I wanted to catch the fur hunks. Anyhow, the clerk was helping some "bag" lady who kept complaining because every sewing machine she wanted was too expensive to put on her charge card which only had $135 left to max out. The thing I was looking at was still in a box with no display model so I wanted to ask if we could open the box to see how thick the bottom was; I want to make sure it will go underneath the edge of the cupboards. Well, the clerk totally ignored us -- we who had cash in hand and knew what we wanted! I was torked and am writing a letter to the store manager who will probably file it in the round file but at least I will feel better. We used the restrooms on the way out of the store and they were filthy too. GRRRRR! Then we made a quick stop at SAM's to pick up kitty litter and headed home. I'm going to shop online later tonight and see if I can find what I wanted but couldn't buy at Sears.

Hope you all have a relaxing evening and a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:59 PM   #11  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I just got home from having a perm and the price has gone up once again . . . $45 and I'll probably need another one in 3 months.

It's cold and windy here again today. We didn't have heat at school and finally they turned it on after lunch so by the time school got out, all the rooms were finally getting warm. It took several us in our coats to go and complain to finally get it turned on. Sheesh! My furnace has been running all weekend and I even turned the electric blanket on to preheat the bed last night. It's supposed to get down into the low 30s tonight. BRRRR!

"Gma" -- I hope you are feeling better as the day wore on! I don't hesitate to express my thoughts if I am unhappy with the food, service, etc. This is the first time I've written a letter so it will be interesting to see if I get any response. Probably not. I don't suppose you could invite T to spend some time with you and your son without his mother coming along. She might surprise you though, you never know.

Not much newsy from my corner of the world. DH is at a meeting so I haven't seen him since early this morning.

Hope you all have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow. Do something nice for yourself!

Jean -- from cold Iowa!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:50 AM   #12  

Morning ladies. I am #14 so whomever comes next....

Jean: I can't imagine trying to work wearing coats! That is ridiculous. How are kids supposed to learn freezing to death? It is still cool here a little and rainy, but it is supposed to be nice tomorrow. They can't decide about this weekend though. One minute it is rain the next not. We have Sat tickets to see the triple A Cubs team play our Redbirds and I hope we don't get rained out! I need to check their website to see about replacement tickets if the game is called because of rain.

Jack has PLC classes all the rest of the week so we get to get up an hour and half later! This is really nice. It is surprising what the extra time is like. Of course, I seem to always be up early anyway.

I think I am going to grow one tomato plant this spring and see how it comes out. I love tomatoes that are nice, firm and ripe and maybe I can have my own this way. Jack has a friend at work that grows upside-down tomato plants and I may do that as I can hang them up and critters not get to them. I have an organic pesticide made from oil, dishsoap etc that I am going to use so we shall see. Jack is all excited about it and I just want some nice ripe tomatoes without giving the car away to pay for them! I saw tomatoes in the store over the weekend and they were awful. This very light red almost pinkish or yellowish! YCK!

Maggie: How much longer til you guys hit the road? I bet you are excited!

Well, I hear a buzzer going off to better see to it

Faye