Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:52 PM   #1  
Indian Princess

Question The 3 Hour Diet?

Has anyone heard of this? I guess you follow a plan where you eat every 3hrs? Just wondering if this is another fad diet...Have a great day ladies.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:23 PM   #2  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

I just received a copy of it from the library. I saw something about it in one of the weekend newspaper sections a week or so ago on Sunday. I've heard from others that you should eat several smaller meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism going. I don't think it could hurt, but I haven't read the entire book yet.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:44 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Not a new idea at all.

Most of the nutrition plans centered around weight training recommend frequent (3 hours apart) small balaced meals. Body for Life is the example that comes to mind immediately.

The idea behind the frequent small meals is to keep hunger/cravings at bay and your blood sugar levels constant.

I just skimmed the Amazon reviews on this book (written by Jorge Cruise) and really, IMO it sounds like there's nothing here that hasn't already been covered in a LOT of diet/fitness books over the past few years - or for that matter right here at 3FC or in some of our favorite linked sites - such as Krista Scott Dixon's Stumptous website.

In fact she has a great page titled "Dieting 101" that probably covers the same stuff that the book does...without the gimmicks.

At any rate - I generally will check a book out of the library and preview it before I spend my $$ - ESPECIALLY on diet books.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:09 PM   #4  
it's always something

I'm reading it right now. I agree, nothing new here, just a new spin on it. You do eat every 3 hours, but you don't eat much. A snack may be one fat free cookie, or one cup of hot air popcorn. Lunch may be a half pita filled with tuna and fat free mayo. There is a lot of emphasis on "diet" foods such as fat free cheese, fat free sour cream, etc, which isn't my thing. You also get to eat frozen diet dinners, or healthier choices at fast food restaurants, such as a grilled chicken sandwich from Wendys.

I signed up for the online service, just to check it out. It cost $39 for 13 weeks. It has an interesting meal generator that looked helpful. Their forum isn't very active.

Oh, I laughed very hard the other day, when the meal generator told me to eat 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds for a snack. Does anyone eat SESAME seeds as a snack?

There are people following this plan and losing weight. It's low calorie, very structured, and leaves nothing to chance.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:33 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
I'm reading it right now. I agree, nothing new here, just a new spin on it. You do eat every 3 hours, but you don't eat much. A snack may be one fat free cookie, or one cup of hot air popcorn. Lunch may be a half pita filled with tuna and fat free mayo. There is a lot of emphasis on "diet" foods such as fat free cheese, fat free sour cream, etc, which isn't my thing. You also get to eat frozen diet dinners, or healthier choices at fast food restaurants, such as a grilled chicken sandwich from Wendys.
Not my 'thang' either - the diet foods and frozen dinners and fast-food drek. I can't believe this guy is supposed to be an 'authority' and plugging those 'fat free' cookies - which are generally still loaded with SUGAR. A cup of hot air popcorm wouldn't do diddly for my appetite either. and a big YUK on the fat free mayo (which of course still has plenty of crap in it).

(Of course judging from his website, I'm sure that the rebuttal to that would be 'you *have* to learn what to choose in fast-food restaurants' or 'you should treat yourself'. On the fast-food store thing - I CHOOSE to avoid them like the plague - any one who has seen Supersize Me or even read the nutrition info on the chains' websites would do the same...as far as the treat saying goes, that's true enough but I'd rather have the satisfaction of eating a real, honest-to-God cookie or brownie once in awhile than eating that fat-free Snackwells' crap. Besides - look at the nutrition info and compare calories - the difference is miniscule and as we learned back in the mid 1990's the bottom line is it's the CALORIES that COUNT).

Quote:
I signed up for the online service, just to check it out. It cost $39 for 13 weeks. It has an interesting meal generator that looked helpful. Their forum isn't very active.
I've seen meal generators before - although I'm one of those people who believe it's better for folks to plan their OWN meals, that way they learn FASTER how to eat the right way.

Quote:
Oh, I laughed very hard the other day, when the meal generator told me to eat 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds for a snack. Does anyone eat SESAME seeds as a snack?
I have a lot of birds that come to my window that love them.

Quote:
There are people following this plan and losing weight. It's low calorie, very structured, and leaves nothing to chance.
Losing weight in the short term is one thing - it's MAINTAINING the loss over an extended period of time that is the challenge. Doesn't sound as though he goes into that part of the deal.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:14 PM   #6  
Indian Princess

Thanks for the feedback...I appreciate it
Old 04-24-2005, 05:24 PM   #7  

MrsJim has the right of it (as usual). Jorge's 3 hour diet is remarkably similar to David Zinczenko's "Abs Diet", Tom Venuto's "Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle", and also the original; Bill Phillips "Body For Life".

They all (IMO) have the same principles - but the marketing gurus of our day know how to keep on extracting money out of different demographics...

Eat 5-6 meals a day, use cardio and resistance training, eat lean proteins, healthy fats, and whole carbs. Thats the basics (and pretty much how I live my life anyway - and I'm in "maintenance").
Old 04-24-2005, 05:38 PM   #8  

Thanks for your input, Bigjimboy. I'm doing pretty much the same thing, though I have quite a ways to go. It's good to hear when that has worked for someone else, not just through the losing phase, but in the longer maintence part.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:38 PM   #9  
YES!! You Can!!

S/C/G: 274/150.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Eating every 3 hours has made a very big difference for me during my South Beach journey this past year.

I had always white knuckled it when dieting and always failed!! Getting from meal to meal without eating was pure torcher for me!! Now when I feel hungry, I eat!! Small things and foods that are legal on my plan but food none the less!!

This is one of the reasons that I can see myself staying on this plan after I've reached my goal!! I love eating this way!!
Old 04-24-2005, 10:07 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

I also eat every 3 hours, and it's the best way in my book too!

Judy, I like your saying : I had always white knuckled it when dieting and always failed!! ... Yep that was me too, but no more, I eat something when I'm hungry and even, sometimes, not all the time, before bed ...
Old 04-25-2005, 12:14 AM   #11  
mom5kidz

I am on a special diet, per Dr. She has me eating every 3 hours, 4x's a day. I eat ONE thing when I do eat.

Example: GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST(no skin or bone)
CAN OF TUNA(can mix ff mayo in it)
SCRAMBLED EGGS(2 max - can mix a wee bit of cheese in it)

etc. I can't have bread UNLESS it is Oat or Bran, NO WHEAT
No sugar period!!!!! Fruit and/or Veggies have to be fresh or frozen - IF CANNED IS USED RINSE WELL BEFORE SERVING / COOKING

I do have a Fruit and Veggie day. NO MEAT on that day. I can only eat 3x's a day on that day.

So far I like it. I've noticed that I don't eat as much AND I'm not hungry all the time. Sometimes, like today, I have to make myself eat.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 252/247/130

OK, I for one have followed the 3 Hour Diet plan for 2 months now and have lost 22 lbs, there is more to it that is listed above you eat a structured meal and the intent is to get you to eat every 3 hours in order to keep your metabolism going, which corresponds to what my DR. said to do. You eat a meal of 400 calories, then a snack 3 hours later (100 to 300 calories depending on your weight) and then lunch 3 hours later, then a snack...etc......... it really does work but from what I have learned form this plan this is almost just like WW but you are more on a schedule to eat every 3 hours. There has been great success with it. As any plan, if you work the plan, the plan will work for you.

Guess its all in your preference and what you like.
Closed Thread