PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/136/125

Height: 4"11'

Default I just started the Insulin Resistance Diet

Hi everyone,
I am a 25 year old who was diagnosed with insulin resistance over the summer. The doctor just said, "lose weight and it will go away". Well obviously, nothing is ever that easy. I just found the Insulin Resistance Diet book. I tried a week of it and liked it, but wonder if anyone else is using this diet and if it's working for them.
Maryjaneld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:13 PM   #2  

hi there, I haven't heard of it before but it sounds interesting. What are the basic principles? x
bonnylassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/136/125

Height: 4"11'

Hi Bonnylassy,
The basic principles are stabilizing carbohydrate levels by using the link and balance method. Every time you eat a carbohydrate, you have to eat a protein with it. The balance part is about portion sizes. YOu can have 15 grams of carbs with 7 grams of protein, or 30 grams of carbs with 15 grams of protein. You can't have more than 30 grams of carbs per meal.
The book gives lots of recipes and menus to make it easier. For example, for breakfast you can have an egg with a piece of toast (balanced), or cottage cheese and fruit, or yogurt with grape nuts.
For lunch you can have two slices of bread(as long as they add up to 30 grams of carbs - check serving sizes) with turkey and cheese, soup (as long as 30 carbs, 15 protein), or a hot pocket with a side salad.
For dinner you can have 15 grams of protein (chicken, fish, etc) with 30 grams of carbs (1 cup rice or pasta).
Snacks could be a cheese stick with crackers, hummus with veggies, soy nuts, an apple and a slice of cheese, or pre packaged tuna packages (Starkist).
It sounds tough, but the book, The Insulin Resistance Diet, makes it very easy.
Lauren
Maryjaneld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:25 PM   #4  
Jembers

Hi! I am 27 and was put on Glucophage for my insulin resistance. It made me so sick! I couldn't go to work for a week because I was bowing down to the porcelain princess. So I went back to my doctor and he prescribed me Avandia instead. I still am not quite sure how this whole thing works, but I've started going to the gym right after work with a friend of mine. I just don't like exercising, but it's been helpful for me to bring a friend. I had never heard of that book. I'll have to get a copy. It sounds like it might help me.
Thanks!
Jembers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:15 PM   #5  

I just started my diet this week. It's not too bad because it's similar to what I was eating before, only with MUCH less starch and dairy- I really miss rice and breads!! I went to a nutritionalist who had a lot of experience with Insulin Resistance/PCOS patients to make this diet for me. I'm only allowed two small servings of starch per day, special vitamin suppliments 3X a day, replacing a breakfast meal every other day with a special medical shake for diabetics, adding 1/2 c. of legumes per day, and limiting dairy/cheese to 2tbs per day. Non-starchy veggies and lean meat are not resticted provided I have normal portions appropriate for dinner and lunch and don't go overboard.

The problem is that starches helped make me feel satisfied. And I am trying to distinguish between real hunger and mental hunger (where the brain influenced by insulin resistance, make you feel like snaking). So I am trying to only listen to my hunger when it's my tummy rumbling because it's empty. If my tummy isn't grumbling, then I assume it's all in my head.

Though I have never, ever had a problem with over-eating, I did notice there were a lot of times I felt hungrier than I should have been when carbs were in my diet.
subcriminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:38 AM   #6  
kellyjoiii

S/C/G: 225/225/165

Height: 5'7"

Hi ya'll...I just wanted to say that this is the diet I have been following for the last two months (almost) and I have lost 13.5 lbs. I also started walking 5xs a week in the am for 30 mins. I LOVE This diet...it helps with my insulin resistance and cuts down on the side effects of Glucophage....(I am up to 2000mg a day and only have been back on it for three weeks) I have cheated more than I should some days (right before my period ) but have been following it faithfully since the beginning of the month. The only time I eat a peice of bread is when we go out to dinner....(We eat out at least once a week and I try to limit my carbs as much as possible out and about) I tend to eat alot more low carb items due to fiber content totillas,qsmart bars,carb smart ice cream etc......and I have lost 6.5 of those lbs this month. I regularly read the book (I think I have read it 100xs already) and it is alot like sugar busters I think. just thought I would add My $.02
Good luck and lets keep posted on the progress of the diet?!
Kellyjo
kellyjoiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 02:58 PM   #7  

Hi, this is my first time on here. I have been diagnosed with PCOS w/ insulin resistance, I also produce too much testosterone (w/o the hair issue) and do not have periods, and a teeny tiny tumor on my pituitary gland. I found all this out when my husband and I decided to try to start a family and went off BC pills. So no periods happened, tried the provera to start and this time it didn't work. Went to endocrinologist and Dr. put me on Glucophage (made me sick but wasn't sure if it was the flu bug at the same time, but now I know it was the glucophage), then put me on a Protein Power suppliment. Then gave me Peridoxyn and Meridia. Found out I was allergic to Meridia. He said the same thing though, lose weight and everything will balance out and I will be just fine. Well easier said than done. I am currently doing weight watchers because that is what worked before. I now know why I struggled so much to lose weight on WW before. What is this Insulin Resistance Diet book and did you get it from your Dr.? Any helpful hints or words of wisdom would be wonderful. Thanks!!
julzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 08:38 AM   #8  
kellyjoiii

Julzy,
The book can be found online (and I am sure in any book store chain) at amazon.com. It is a great book and I totally recommend it if you are planning on doing a "lower" carb diet. I refer to it ALL the time. I also use south beach recipes (once you get the system down...which is NOT hard.....then you can use it for ANY thing..whether eating out or eating in, at a friends house or home. I have noticed that if I take my gluc on an empty stomach....or eat ALOT of carbs (meaning usually NO protein) then I have the "sickness" that many people experience. But that doesnt really matter to you huh? Since you are not taking it.
Hang in there....and keep me posted.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:20 AM   #9  

My Dr. put me back on the Gluc and started on Monday, I haven't had too much trouble this time. I just had to stop everything until the rashes went away. I did find the book and ordered it. I had tried the South Beach before but had problems with it. I am going to do WW now, but I am definately eating low carb items. I only eat whole wheat pasta and bread and that is in moderation. I try to eat mainly lean protein, fruits, and veggies. Which isn't a big problem. Last night my husband said he didn't know if he could eat another salad ) ... He eats what I eat most of the time. Which helps. I will weigh in on Friday. We'll see how it goes. Most of the sugar free and items that go with that, I am used to because of being on WW before. I think I will do better this time because I know why I struggled so much. It took me a year and a half before to lose 25 pounds for my wedding. And then it just crept back on and I am back to where I started. So I am starting all over again and I plan to succeed this time...
julzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:31 PM   #10  
kellyjoiii

Default Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julzy
I think I will do better this time because I know why I struggled so much. It took me a year and a half before to lose 25 pounds for my wedding. And then it just crept back on and I am back to where I started. So I am starting all over again and I plan to succeed this time...
Amen cyster!!! knowing is half the battle right? I know what you mean about the salads and DH eating alot like you...much easier. My "real" weigh in days are fridays too....so we shall see.....good luck and keep us posted on it! If you have any questions about the diet......let me know....maybe we can help eachother!?!!!! I too have made the conscious decision to SUCCEED this time (guess it is the many yrs of being FAT...I am just tired of it)......Gotta start somewhere!!
Old 04-19-2005, 04:10 PM   #11  

Hi there! I was diagnosed in December 2004 with PCOS (insulin resistance) and my testerone is a bit higher than it should be. This was devastating and joyful at the same time. Devastating because PCOS doesn't ever go away, it's not curable. BUT it is controlable! So it was hard to hear that I had something like this. But it was joyful in that I have been learning ways to get it under control, and with this diet book (love it), and working out, this will not only help my health but also our fertility problems. We've been dealing with issues for 6 years and I've had 3 miscarriages. The doc, although he can't prove it 100%, thinks it's the PCOS throwing off my hormones that has caused this. I am currently ordered to drop this weight (thus the cook book and working out) and also I am taking fertility meds AND metformin (1500mgs daily). I never had side effects with the metformin (thank god!) Good luck to you ladies!!
DavzGerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:33 AM   #12  
kellyjoiii

Sherrie,
I am so sorry about your losses....I think to a certain extent that most women are dx'x while trying to concieve (I know I was-5yrs ago) my oldest is a clomid baby. My second is due to gluc (i totally feel) Also, as for the miscarriages...has your dr chk'd your progesterone level (when you are pregnant?) I know this can have a devastating effect on a pregnancy...I think many women use prog. creme for weeks while newly preg....I continued with my gluc for six weeks while pregnant although I know more that take it the whole time...I am currently back on it (while nursing at 2000mg/day) and also following the diet and working out too. I find it is helping my sanity as well. What cookbook are you talking about? I know the insulin resistance diet book has some recipes in the back.....is this what you are talking about?
I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and hope this works for you!
Good luck!@