General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-11-2005, 01:42 PM   #1  

Default Realistic Goal Weight

I got together with a couple of my really close friends the other and they were amazed at how I looked. YEA!!! So I told them all about my "diet" and they asked me what my goal weight was. Im curently at 213 and want to get to 130 (I'm 5'4"). They seem to think that this is too thin for me. Although they may be a bit bias seeing as how they love me at any size. But that got me thinking about how realistic this goal actually is. Considering I haven't seen 130 in about 10 years. When I signed up the councelor didn't seem to think 130 was unattainable. I've got my "female" doctor appointment in May. I'll ask my doctor what she thinks. Personally, I'll be really happy when I get to 150.

How did you guys figure up what was a realistic goal weight? I'd love to hear what other people think.
iheartsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #2  
234/165.8/160

I think it's a great idea to ask your doctor. I talked with mine last month and she measured me, then calculated a healthy BMI for my height and frame. She said 168 and my goal for LA is 160, so that puts me in the 'healthy range' (I'm about 5'9''...though I used to be 145-155 and would love to get back there, but haven't been there in 15 years (since high school), so I think 160 is attainable and more importantly maintainable :-)
auditgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #3  

Sushi - 130 is not an unrealistic goal weight for 5'4" - I'm that height, too. But, the question is what are you going to get for that extra 10 pounds, and how hard will it be to maintain? At my skinniest (135) I was in 4's and 6's - and that was about 10 years ago - and I was exercising, so I had some muscle tone. So, now, my goal is 145, because it's reachable, and maintainable, and if I'm in 6's and 8's (with exercise), that will be fine.

You are right, Fashn - We can do it!

Julie
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:35 AM   #4  

Hi Chicks....
I don't think 130 is too unrealistic for a 5'4" frame. The real question is to find a goal weight 1) that you can actually attain and 2) that you can maintain without living your life around what you eat.
If your goal is too low when you get say 10 pounds away, you may be so happy there that slack off and never actually make your goal. What happens then is that you are never really satisfied becuz you failed and never reached that 'predetermined' number'.
Therefore, your goal number is more important and should be given alot of thought before just picking a number.
My goal is 150, alot higher than what I weighed 20 years ago. For my age, lifestyle, exercise schedule and other reasons that 150 number is great for me now. When I reach that number, I will throw a party and celebrate....
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:04 AM   #5  

Star, that was exactly what I was trying to say - about never being satisfied if your goal weight is too low, and picking one that doesn't cause you to live your life around your food choices!
Old 04-12-2005, 10:09 AM   #6  

Julie - I talk in blonde lingo - you talk in brunette, right? Our thoughts are alike, they just come out differently on paper.....lol
Old 04-12-2005, 10:28 AM   #7  

Star

You are the blonde ROFL!
Old 04-12-2005, 10:41 AM   #8  

As long as you say that in a loving way.......Smarty pants!
Old 04-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #9  
SW236/CW143/GW149

I think 130 seems reasonable for a 5'4" person. Although it does vary from person to person frame size, muscle mass etc. I am 5'7" my goal is 149. 10 or so years ago I was around 135-145. I was a size 7 or 9 then. At first I thought 140 would be a good goal for me, but I realized that 149 is a good goal. I know that I could get to 140, but like you guys said I want to be able to maintain my weight. I will probably start exercising, but I don't want to kill myself to say at my goal weight.

Also I had a friend that laughed at me (literally) when at 185, I told her I still wanted to lose about 35 more pounds. It actually hurt my feelings. Anywho, she had only know me at 235 and thought I looked fine then, so I guess after seeing the drastic change I had made at that point (50 pounds) she thought it was ridiculous that I wanted to lose more.

Anyway, I suppose I'm just rambling now. Good luck with the weight loss!

Mandy
mandyd26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:15 PM   #10  

I'm 5'3' and aiming for 140. That should put me in a size 8 or 10. That's about where I want to be...but I'm going to be 50 next month and a lot depends on your age, too.
SuzanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:43 PM   #11  
SW236/CW143/GW149

Great point Suzan!

Mandy
mandyd26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:17 PM   #12  
One meal at a time!

S/C/G: 198/185/130

Height: 5' 2"

I'm 5" 1.5" and LA says I should weigh 118-120. Well I'm almost 45 and I say 130. Atleast that's what I'm shooting for anyway or wherever I'm comfortable at...
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:09 PM   #13  

Just looked at my calendar. I'm thinking I should be to goal (150) by the end of July.........
I picked my goal weight out becuz at 55 I can't weigh what I did at 25 and look the same......(duh - even a blonde knows that). Actually I haven't weighed 150 in so long I can't remember. I know what I look like at 160, it's not bad, but at 150 I should be as pleased as punch (what does that mean?)
Old 05-12-2005, 01:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I think your goal weight can depend on other factors besides your height. Body frame is a biggie here. Two women can both be 5'5", but one can be big framed-larger, wider shoulders...large hands, wrists, ankles-and the other can have a slight frame with narrow shoulders, slender wrists and ankles, small hands...it would be more natural for the bigger framed woman to weigh 5015 pounds more due to her larger frame.
Fitness is also a big thing too...the moderator MrsJim here at 3FC weighs in the 140-149 range and wears 4's and 6's...while most women of her height and weight wear 8's-this is due to the fact that she is very, very fit and has more muscle, and less body fat.
Also-your own personal feelings about it all make a difference. Some women are happier with a little meat on the bones, and others are not.
I think that all goal weights should be evaluated now and then as you get closer to them. If you start out at 250 pounds-it is really hard to visualize what you will actually look like at 120, 130, 140, or 150 pounds-so many just "pick a number". You may find that as you drop weight-especially if you are exercising and getting firmer and fitter-that you may find that you may be happy with the way you look now at 150 pounds, and maybe you don't need to be the "125" that you originally chose as a goal.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:35 PM   #15  

Aphil - Where have you been - I have missed you! You always make so much sense, please share it with us more often!!!!
Or are you really busy with other stuff? Us LAWL chicks need all the fun facts you have, don't be a stranger (almose typed strangler....lol)
Hugs girl!