Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-06-2005, 10:29 AM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Default how to beat an ice cream craving

I have been craving ice cream for weeks, and I made the mistake of watching a TV show about the country's best ice creams yesterday. I've finally just gotten off a plateau and I'm losing again, and I really don't want to mess it up by binging on ice cream! Does anyone have any advice on what would take care of this craving? (Frozen yogurt just isn't the same...) Or should I give in and get a kiddie size scoop from somewhere?
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #2  

I say plan for it and enjoy it. If you don't you might give in and over do it. Make sure it fits in your daily calorie allowance and then there is no guilt. Actually I love peanut butter Skinny Cow sandwiches, they really hit the spot when I want some ice cream.
KTna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:02 AM   #3  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I agree, just work it into your daily calories. For my ice cream fix I have little mochi (rice pastry) wrapped ice cream treats in the freezer. They're 90 calories, real ice cream and most importantly, individual portions. I've found through past experience that it's best to have what I'm craving, rather than working my way through the kitchen with substitutions that just don't satisfy. (and then having what I wanted originally anyway, lol) I keep good dark chocolate on hand for the same reason. One small piece and the craving is satisfied.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:15 AM   #4  

Definitely plan for it because if you deprive yourself you'll just crave it all that much more. I know you said that frozen yogurt just doesn't do it for you but I've got a little trick that's well worth a try if you're up for something new. I freeze my regular Blue Bunny fat free no sugar added yogurt. But I do it in such a way that it actually turns out with the consistancy of ice cream. It's so good that it feels like I'm cheating, yet it's completely good for you. The trick is to freeze the yogurt slowly. Make sure your freezer setting is not too high (I choose the lowest freezer setting) and then you'll need to set something on top of the yogurt itself to slow down the freezing process. It's kind of crazy but I use a tub of storebought icing (I think it's between 12 & 16 ozs.) Anyway, it should take about 3-4 hours to freeze to the point where you can still dig a spoon into it. If you let it get too solid, just set it on the counter for 15-20 minutes. I do this with the black cherry flavor but there are so many to choose from, maybe you could really find something to at least satisfy that ice cream craving a little bit. Hope this helps!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:03 PM   #5  
Building my Body for Life

I really like the no sugar added chocolate popsicles. Not exactly ice cream with the cone and everything but it usually works for me. Anything that comes in single servings is a good idea. Just read the labels and make a choice that fits your daily calorie intake goals.

The McDonald's vanilla ice cream cone has only 150 calories so if you're really dying for some real ice cream, that is a good choice. For me, buying a tub of ice cream in the store is DANGEROUS!
Fitchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:25 AM   #6  

If you have a carvel near you they have a great low calorie ice cream, with only 120 calories. It is so good that I always think they label it wrong.
KTna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Default Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkredondo
I have been eating dark chocolate milky ways almost every day.... i get these sweet tooth cravings and haven't found a replacement. any suggestions?
I've started using the nutrition bars as substitutes when I have a sweet tooth. I really like the chocolate chip Odwalla, the Slim Wheys and the Pria double chocolate bars the best.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for your advice everyone! I think I'm going to go for some ice cream this weekend, and make up for it with smaller meals and an extra workout day.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:28 AM   #9  

i also use protein bars as a way to deal with cravings.
i love the pria bars (mint chocolate chip tastes just like thin mints!)
JenR is offline   Reply With Quote