Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 12:29 AM   #1  

Default *~*~ The Thin Group #2*~*~

Hello and welcome to the Thin Group!

We are a friendly group of ladies who have one thing in common. We are all working together toward our goal of being healthier in our daily lifestyles and to lose weight. There are all different ages and backgrounds here and we all have different ways of losing our weight. We all love to have fun and laugh, but we also give a lot of support, encouragement and motivation for one another, not just in weight loss, but in all of our daily joys and struggles.

Everyone has their ups and downs and we’ll be here with you thru both! Please feel free to post with us - just jump right in and believe me, you will be welcomed with open arms. The more the merrier!

So please join us and let's work together towards a healthier us in 2005!

Please feel free to check out our website and learn more about us at: http://www.geocities.com/hotsprings/sauna/4797/
Old 03-31-2005, 01:20 AM   #2  

Yes, I am a BRAT! I couldn't resist!

I am stopping in for a quick hello. I hope you all had a wonderful Easter and stayed away from the candy. I wasn't so lucky ....but that candy sure was good. Just an FYI, Chocolate makes you cough more if you have a bronchial infection.

I'm trying to eat healthy but with all of this candy around my will power is virtually non existent. On the plus side, I still haven't gained the weight I lost when I had the stomach bug.

Peggy- How are you doing lady? I think of you often and keep you and your Mom in my prayers. I hope that both of you will be cancer free very soon!

CJ and Sharon- The buttershot twins! I love you guys! Thanks for being such wonderful ladies and friends! Hugs to you both!

I've got to run and "steam" myself. Ah, the joys of being sick!

Hugs to you all!

Sylvia
Old 04-03-2005, 01:51 PM   #3  
Taking It A Day At A Time

Default Hi guys!

Hi all,

Well things have somewhat slowed down a bit for me for a while. Had a good time in Atlantic City with Ken. We finally got to use our timeshare after 3 yrs of not being able to go. With brother, Jerry and all his health problems, COPD ect we just didn't want to go for so long. But managed to line up people to watch over him in case he had to go to the hospital, which luckily he didn't, but he did this past Monday I took him in due to breathing problems.

But anyways, the suite was great and overlooked the Atlantic ocean and the boardwalk there. Had a good time, no worries for a week, just deciding what we wanted to do and where we were going to eat. It was great. On the way back we stopped in Hershey, Pennsylvania and toured the chocolate factory and went on the trolly to see the town with the cute Hershey Kiss street lights they have there. Than we stayed at the halfway home point in Wheeling, West Virginia. I came home rested and refreshed and ready to tackle anything going on in my life. Now ready to concentrate on my daughter, Kelly's upcoming wedding the end of April.

Sylvia-Hi sweetie, glad you are feeling better and over that stomach bug you had. I too got into the chocolate easter candy, you know how they always have that half price candy the day after Easter? Why oh why do they do that? I know so people like you and me will indulge. HA HA Thanks for the hug, you are a dear friend and I love you too, even if you are a brat for starting the new thread.

CJ-How is the Royal Oak house cleaning going? I hope good. I know you must be so busy but I know Dick really must miss being in Gaylord because I know he really loves it up there. I miss you girlfriend and now that things are slowing down we can connect soon. I promise! So how come you are letting Sylvia beat you with starting the new thread? You are slipping there. HA HA

Peggy-You have so much going on in your life too. Between your son's upcoming wedding, your Mom's surgery, your grandaughter medical problems, redoing the bathroom and your own upcoming surgery things must be really hectic for you and you family. I hope things all work out all the way around. Hang in there and take things a day at a time like I try to do. No sense worrying about things you can't control as my husband has been telling me when I start to worry about everything going on in my life. You and your and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

To everyone else, come on and post soon with us, we miss you when you are away from us.

Take care everyone, talk to you later, Love, Sassy Sharon
Old 04-05-2005, 06:04 PM   #4  
CJ
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 184/172/130

Height: 5'4

Hi everyone. Just popping in to say hello and explain why I've not been around. We've been busy with emptying out the house, getting rental trucks set up but haven't been able to set an actual date as we have been spending a lot of time at the rehab center for hubby's mother. Dick's mom has been in the hospital for the last month - she cracked her back bone and they infused the bone and then she was sent to a rehab center for therapy which was only suppose to be about 3 weeks. She was doing pretty good and was scheduled to come home couple weeks ago with 24-hr aid, but then developed broncitus and other things started going wrong and now it looks like she will not be with us much longer. We almost lost her today while visitng with her - she started choking on all the flem in her lungs ... they put her on a breathing machine ... She has given up on the therapy - just wants to let go. It's so hard, very hard. But, she is 94 and has had a very good life, and her wish is to let go. I've seen her worsen just in the last couple days. We are contactig Hospice in the morning. I have been contacting all our out of state kids today to let them know of the not so good news. And here is a lesson for everyone - always be prepared! I came down with just a few jeans and sweaters and all of my clothes from here are already packed up! So ... it looks like I may need a few skirts and nice tops ... will have to shop - such a shame when I have tons up north and tons packed! If Dick's mom passes on soon I don't think jeans are appropriate! Amazingly, Dick's suit has not been packed yet .. it's hanging in the closet with my coats still.

Slyvia:
BRAT BRAT BRAT!!!

Sharon:
I tried to email you but don't think I have your newest addy on my computer downstate here ... so if you are reading this send me a quickie and I will send you another email to the right address.

Until another time .. Take care all ...
Love, CJ
Old 04-08-2005, 01:38 PM   #5  
Conquering with SBD

Just popping in for a quick chat this morning. It has been a while since I posted, but I have been reading the ones that are here.

Sylvia - BRAT, BRAT, BRAT... So there you go Ms BRAT! Hope that you are doing well and that you waded through the candy without too much trouble. Take care.

Sharon - So good to hear that you got away for a holiday. We were trying to figure out if we could get away this year, but it doesn't look like we will be going too far in the near future. Our son's wedding next Janauary looks like the closest thing to a vacation away that we will be taking for a while. Now, I guess, it is time for you to start on the wedding plans for your daughter. Wishing that everything goes smoothly there.

CJ - Sorry to hear about Dick's mom. It is sooo hard when you know that they are suffering and can't do anything about it. Take care of Dick and yourself. Sending you hugs.

Me - Well, I have been my usual clumsy self. Last Wednesday I was walking down the street with my boss and the heal of my shoe caught in a hole in the sidwalk. Down I went in a full face plant - skinned knee, skinned hand, wripped pantyhose, the whole shebang. BUT, that was only a dry run for Wednesday this week.

I was doing my usual workout at the track... As I was walking, I stepped off the track to pass a couple of stragglers walking there. Since they are doing maintenance on the ice arena this week, and the track goes around the arena, there is a little melting off the ice. Yep, stepped in a patch of water and went down flat on my back, bumping my head on the cement floor.

The girls that I was passing called our emergency number at the college here, so the fun started. Two security officers responded, followed by the head of our health unit, then another nurse c/w wheel chair, then two more security officers and a cop. They packaged my up and sent me to the hospital with 2 of the security officers and the cop. Normally, they send people in a cab accompanied by someone to keep watch over them - not me though. When the site manager of our security guards heard about the accident on his radio, he left his lunch and was determined that he would take me himself. At the hospital, the cop (who happened to be touring our facilities) decided that he was in charge of me - making me sit in the chair and talking to all the emergency staff. The looks I got from the people waiting in the waiting room said it all - she's a criminal...

Meanwhile, back at the work place, all my staff knew that I had gone for a workout and didn't return. Then they got a call to have the blood cleaned up at the arena... Since my boss was away yesterday, nobody was told anything, but they could just conjure up their own stories. You can imagine the rumours that got started.

Moral to this story: Exercise IS Dangerous. I have 11 stitches and a concussion to prove it.

I am now worried that the head injury may affect the surgery that I have booked in 2 weeks. Hopefully, they will still go ahead, but the dr. at the hospital wasn't sure. I guess I will need to wait to see if there are any other problems.

Hope everyone else is doing OK. Take care, have a great weekend....and be careful when you exercise.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:19 PM   #6  

Default new here

I wanted to say hi, and introduce myself. I just joined today. I have been loosing weight for about 1 year now. Lately the scale doesn't seem to be changing but I am fitting into smaller jeans, so I can't complain.

My name is Rhonda and I am 32. I have been up and down with my weight for about 13 years. I started putting weight on when my husband and I moved in together, then we got married and I put on a little more, then I got pregnant and put on 70#, I had finally taken a large amount of that off and I got pregnant with our second child. I put on less weight with our second child, but after I had her I continued to put on weight. I have been up and down 15 to 30 lbs since then but hadn't been able to continously lose. My husband jump started us on a diet (just reduced fat, healthy snacks, lower calorie, healthier all around) about a year ago. He lasted all of about 2 months. He has still cut back on the junk food but indulges way more than I do. We have free days on the weekends or holidays to keep me from messing up the diet and giving up. I think in the past that has been a big problem for me. (My brother and his wife do this all year-diet food/healthy food during the week and what ever they want (with in reason) on the weekends) I have also started running in the yard with the family. We were helping our daughter practice soccer and our son with football last year. We spent as much time outside as we could. I thought that this winter was going to stop me all together. I crave comfort foods during the cold months plus there wasn't the same oppertunity to get outside with the kids. I found a channel on direct tv that is called fit tv, they have exercise shows most of the morning I started doing those instead and lifting weights some with my huband. I am so glad the warm weather is back. We have been outside already quite a bit running in the yard playing soccer.

Anyway, Hi all.
RSRosey (Rhonda)
Old 04-12-2005, 11:44 AM   #7  
Conquering with SBD

Welcome Rhonda. Good to have you join our group. I went through a similar experience with weight gain, although I didn't start to gain until I was about 35. But, gain I did. When I had gained about 70 - 80 pounds, I saw a picture of myself and decided to do something about it. I lost all the weight, then put about 40 back on. I have finally lost that 40 and have been able to keep it off just about 6 months. I am still up and down 3 - 5 pounds, but when the weight starts to go up, I react to it immediately so that it does not get out of control. You are on the right track - cut back on the junk foods, fat and sugar and increase the exercise. You will get there.

CJ - Where are you. Thinking about you and hoping everything is going OK. Take care.

Me - After my accident, our 4 legged baby had an accident last weekend. I guess she was playing a bit too hard and one of the pins in her knee slipped out. She is in having knee surgery again today. The recovery is 4 months, so she will be missing the summer playing in the yard again this year.

That's about all for this week...although I get my stitches out on Thursday and find out if my surgery is still scheduled for the end of the month. Keep your fingers crossed.

Have a great week.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:27 PM   #8  
Conquering with SBD

Helloooo

HellooooHellooooHellooooHelloooo

There's an echo in here as of late. Where is everyone?

I thought I would pop in for a moment and say hi. Hope everyone is having a great day. I have to run to get my stitches out today, so will talk later. Take care.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:59 AM   #9  

Hi everyone,

I got an email from CJ that her Dick's Mom passed away on April 9th, and I just wanted to say how sorry I am CJ. I know you must be busy with the funeral and all the out of town company too. We are thinking of you and come back soon.

Peggy-That is good that you are getting those stitches out, you will feel so much beter I know. So sorry to hear about your accident at the track, what a price we pay for exercise. I am just glad you weren't more seriously hurt though, but I know 11 stitches is nothing to sneeze at and hope you are doing better soon as well as your doggie.

Hi Rhonda, thanks for joining up with this wonderful group. We will help you and visa versa too. We are all in the boat like you are with the snack foods and comfort foods too. But you are going in the right direction and have the right attitude with that fitness tv/exercise show and all the running in the yard. That is the way to do great, just cut back, exercise and drink water water water, which I am working on and trying to get in. If you are fitting into smaller jeans that means you have lost inches and that is what counts. Keep posting with us, we are so glad you have decided to join us.

Well better go, will post more later, just trying to do some spring cleaning for the upcoming wedding the end of April for daughter, Kelly. Oh yes, went to see my 2nd daughter, Tracy now stationed in Illinois, near St. Louis and had a wonderful time with her and her hubby, Brett. She just bought a house and closed on it yesterday, it is brand new and she is so excited about finally having something to call their own. But now she says she is going broke with all the things she has to buy that goes along with it. Oh yes "Welcome to home ownership" What a wonderful thing!

Love you, Sharon
Old 04-18-2005, 03:39 PM   #10  
Conquering with SBD

Sharon - So good to hear from you again. Sounds like you are busy planning the wedding. When my daughter got married a few years ago, I took three months off work before the wedding, thinking that I would get most of the work done in the first 2 weeks, then lounge around until the wedding. Well....I worked from 6am-11pm everyday of the three months, and I was still hemming the ring bearers tuxes the morning of the wedding. AND that was with having a lot of the stuff done before I ever started the leave. good luck on getting everything done without too much stress.

Me - I am on my last week of work before my sick leave...as if I haven't been doing enough lately to be 'sick.' Hopefully things will go well next week and that I won't be feeling too bad. I'm planning on being back on my feet by Wed. next week, but I think that is wishful thinking. Oh well, one day at a time.

Hope everyone is doing well. CJ, how are you. Hope you are not too stressed with the funeral, etc. Thinking of you. Take care.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:18 AM   #11  

Default Thanks

~~Hi Rhonda, thanks for joining up with this wonderful group. We will help you and visa versa too. We are all in the boat like you are with the snack foods and comfort foods too. But you are going in the right direction and have the right attitude with that fitness tv/exercise show and all the running in the yard. That is the way to do great, just cut back, exercise and drink water water water, which I am working on and trying to get in. If you are fitting into smaller jeans that means you have lost inches and that is what counts. Keep posting with us, we are so glad you have decided to join us. ~~

Thanks for the welcome. I have been having a hard time since Christmas with cutting back on the snack foods. I allow myself extras at holidays and on the weekends so I don't feel like I CAN"T have something. I tend to dwell on it if I can't have it. But over Christmas/New Years I allowed myself too much of the extras I think and have become hooked on them again. I am working on it though. Of course Easter didn't help either. The kids got tons and tons of candy...and its just sitting there staring at me. LOL

One of the big changes I made was getting rid of the soda and adding water. I only drink water now. I thought it was going to be very hard but once I got used to the water it was easy.

Has anyone tried any of the herbal aids?
Rhonda
Old 04-25-2005, 04:52 PM   #12  

Default Hi Guys!

Hi everyone,

Just been so busy getting the house ready for the wedding on Saturday, April 30th, and seeing all the of out of town company. I have been spring cleaning, just in case we have company at our house. Not sure if anyone will even come over here as we are all staying at a hotel in Indianapolis. But on Sunday at least my bestest friend from kindergarten who lives in Ohio will be coming over so who cares at least I will have a clean house. Ha Ha

I can't wait for the wedding and to see all the relatives. Our son, Alan from California, in the Air Force came on Saturday, we picked him up at the airport. Air Force daughter, Tracy and her husband Brett will be driving up from Illinois on Wednesday. Everything starts on Friday, which is the rehersal and the dinner afterwards so can't wait for it. It will be so great to see all my kids dressed up, like daughter, Tracy's wedding 2 yrs ago. Like hers all of the kids are in the wedding, Tracy is the Matron Of Honor and Dan and Al are groomsmen. It will make for some good pictures, all cleaned up and looking good.

Peggy-Oh you poor thing having to do so much and hem all those dresses, etc. You must have pulled a Rip Van Winkle and slept for 100 years after it was all over you must have been so tired. Luckily for me I am not so good with a needle and all the bridesmaids are taking care of the alterations themselves. Kelly has made all the arrangements and we are helping her with what we can and have just had to write some checks. LOL

RKRosie-You are SO welcome for the welcome and I truely mean it. You will make a wonderful addition to our great little group. I can see that you are really trying with your program. I too got a little too heavily into the goodies during the holidays and am now fairly back on track. Like you too, water is something I have been trying to work on and trying to keep on drinking more of it. I have been doing pretty good, but trying to step it up some more and drink much more. Don't deny yourself anything that you really really want. I sure don't, like if we have cheesecake, which I just love than I usually can find someone to give me just a bite and I am ok with that. Otherwise you will be eating everything else and than end up finally eating what you crave in the first place adding even more calories to your daily total. You are doing a great job, keep up the good work.

CJ-Hey girlfriend, Are you there? I know you have been busy with your Mother In Law's funeral, but drop us a line to let us know how things went. I miss and love you and hope things were not too difficult Dick as well as you. Write when you can, we understand you must be busy between getting the house in Royal Oak ready to see and the funeral. Take care now!

Well guys, better get going, have lots more to do, my windows await, done with the light fixtures and the chandeliers. Our son, Alan has been a really great help ti ne and so much I sure wish he would come home to live with us. Ha Ha Miss him AND THE HELP TOO!

Take care and talk to you probably after the wedding, which will be next week sometime.

Love you, Sassy Sharon

Last edited by Sassy; 04-25-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:44 PM   #13  

Hello Ladies!

I know it's been a while since I've posted. Life is just so busy with my parents being gone and Nico being a precocious toddler that I really haven't had time to do much of anything. My parents are coming home in the next couple of weeks so I should have some time for myself and for this group. My Dad won't be able to do much and I have a feeling that I'm going to be needed more than I am now. One day at a time.

I have been eating all sorts of cr*p and just haven't really been motivated. So what did I do.... I signed up to do the American Heart Association "Heart Walk" in September. I figured that I have no choice but to get my butt in gear and exercise. So, I just bought a new pair of running shoes that I have to break in before I start training. To be quite honest, I don't even know how many miles the "heart walk" is. So I'm training for a 10 mile walk(the event is from 12:00 - 2:00 pm) so I think that should be safe. Wish me luck.

CJ- Hey chickie! I'm so sorry to hear about your Mother in Law. How is Dick doing? Please give him my condolenses. At least now, she is in peace. {{{{{hugs}}}}

Peggy- How are you? Sorry to hear about your accident. I always knew that exercise can be dangerous! I hope you feel better soon. When is your surgery? I always say a little prayer for you.

Sharon- Hello woman! I hope your daughter's wedding was a great event and "glitch" free. I'm sure you looked wonderful as well. Post some pictures when you have a chance.

Rhonda- Welcome to the group. These ladies are wonderful and very supportive. I know it's kind of slow right now but rest assured that we are here for you and each other.

A big hello and lots of hugs to those I didn't name.

Take care ladies!

Hugs to all-

Sylvia
Old 05-03-2005, 05:09 PM   #14  
Conquering with SBD

Hi everyone. Hope you are all doing well.

Rhonda - It is good to be drinking all the water. I struggle with water because I am not fond of it, so switched to the flavoured waters. I am constantly sipping on those and seem to get the quota in everyday. That has really helped with weight loss. If you are having trouble with going off plan on weekends, etc., try looking at your mental attitude toward this WOE. I struggled with the 'head' part of dieting for a long time and finally figured out that I need to change that attitude of deprivation into an attitude of I really don't want to eat anything else. That has made the ability to stay OP really easy because I don't feel deprived. I have a really bad sweet tooth, so times that others were eating desserts, etc., I felt really deprived because I couldn't join in without the feelings of guilt afterwards. Sooo, I decided to look at the things that I really enjoy that are OP, (even recipes that I like but convert to an OP recipe), then eat those while others are enjoying the unhealthy foods. That has really helped me with the feeling of being deprived and I rarely experience that anymore. However, on another note, plan to have the occasional forbidden treat...but the operative is plan. If you consider what you really, really want, plan how much you will have, and when you will have it AND use it as an occasional treat, you will appreciate it all that much more. I plan treats into my eating program, but not very frequently. I don't deprive myself at someone's birthday party, or special occasions...I just plan it in advance and then don't suffer the guilt following. You will also enjoy the treat that much more because you aren't thinking in the back of your mind that you are doing something wrong. Remember, dieting is as much mental changing as it is changing your WOE. You need to work on both. Take care.

Sharon - How did the wedding go? If you are able, post some pics. You are probably trying to get some cleaning up done this week, and rest.

Sylvia - Hope that your dad is feeling better and that there trip home is uneventful. You are making a great decision to train for the walk and to start now. It is never too late. WTG.

Me - Well, I'm home. I have been home for about a week, but been way to busy to be sick. I am absolutely amazed at how well I am feeling and how quickly I have bounced back, although I am really watching how tired I get and laying down for a rest when I need one. DH is at home, though, and I feel guilty sleeping while he is working around the house. DH overheard me talking to a fellow from work and telling him that I can't wait til hubby goes back to work next week so that I can get some rest. Oh well, it is true.

I went to the dr. last Friday to get the stitches out and everything is doing fine. The pathology report came back within an acceptable range, so I won't need any radiation treatment. I am truly thankful for that. The dr. also showed my pics of the surgery...he was in his element. Now, you have to understand that this dr. does not have the greatest bedside manner, but he is a fabulous surgeon. During the mini-surgery lecture, I was shaking my head wondering where that ever came from since it is so atypical of him. Oh well, he has amazed me through this whole thing with an improved bedside manner...

One of the biggest problems I am having (and I know most of you don't want to hear this), but I can't eat and am losing weight like crazy. I have lost about 18 pounds in the last week (some of which was weight gained in hospital), but am continuing to lose about 1.5 pounds a day, if not more. I am really trying to get some food down, but the problem still persists. If I am not back to normal by the end of the week, I guess I am going to have to make the treck back to the dr. and see if there is an additional problem. I really wanted to lose a bit more weight, but not this way.

Thanks for all your well wishes. The dr. thinks that one of the major contributors to bouncing back so quickly is the physical condition that I am in. I really pushed the last couple of months to be in good cardio condition and I think that it paid off...however, they were worried about my blood pressure during and after surgery. Right after surgery it had gone up to 90 over 50 and a few hours later when DH came to visit, my heart rate had increased to 46 beats per minute. It seems to be OK now, but a bit on the low side.

Well going to run back to bed now. Today has been a really sleepy day for me. Talk more later.

CJ - Thinking of you. Take care.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:17 PM   #15  

Just popping in for a quick hello.

Peggy- I'm glad to hear that your surgery went well and that you are cancer free. Many, many hugs to you!
Closed Thread