Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:37 AM   #1  

Question Calorie Calculator....recipes??

Hi all,

Maybe all of you can help me. I'm looking for a recipe calorie calculator. I'd like a free one online but I'm willing to buy one if need be. Any suggestions? I've heard fitday is good but it just does food and I want to plan out calories in recipes like chili or spaghetti so I can plan a weekly menu. I used to use dietwatch but that was when it was free (years ago) and I loved it. YOu could input the ingredients (and customize them) and do whole recipes and store them on the computer.
Thanks for your help!!!

Amber
Old 04-03-2005, 10:00 AM   #2  
Meg

I use Fitday to figure out the calories in recipes by entering all the ingredients; getting a total of calories, carbs, protein and fats; dividing by the number of servings; and then entering the values for a serving as a Custom Food.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I use fitday.com... here is what I do for recipes... I put in say 1c tomato sauce, 16oz ground meat, and all the rest of the ingredients in my recipe into fitday... at the end this will give me a grand total for the recipe... I do this in a new page let's say the next day of the calendar in fitday... then I customize it give it a name *Ilene's Chili* , customize it into 8 portions, with all the key amounts of the calories, protein, carbs and fats grams of the grand totals you previously had... Does this make sense??
Hope it does, just ask questions if it doesn't...
Old 04-03-2005, 10:07 AM   #4  
Meg

Ilene! Great minds think alike, eh chickie?
Old 04-03-2005, 01:40 PM   #5  

There is a great cookbook program called Mastercook that calculates nutrition info for recipes. It's not very expensive, only $20 or so. It's very popular with the Cooking Light bulletin board crowd. http://www.valusoft.com/products/mastercook.html
Old 04-03-2005, 01:42 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Meg we posted at almost the same time... I hadn't seen your post before mine ! Sorry for the repeat!
Old 04-03-2005, 02:42 PM   #7  

I use fitday the same way that Ilene does. Recently, though, someone suggested I check out fitwatch.com. It has most of the same tools as fitday but it actually let's you customize a recipe, specify the number of servings, and then it does the math for you. I like it a lot. And, like fitday, it has a "free" mode.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:06 PM   #8  

Smile

I found this one...
It's a little plain, but works great and is free

Good Luck!

http://www.recipecal.com/
Closed Thread