Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-02-2005, 10:30 PM   #1  

Default new and slightly discouraged

i've been lurking around for a bit and found so much helpful information.
i started south beach diet 2 weeks ago monday. i did great the first week and was feeling really good about it, i lost 6 pounds in 6 days. and then i just started cheating. i don't remember if i was having bad cravings or what- but the next thing i know i'm having a little chocolate here, a little there, and then i had french toast for breakfast. i'd like to blame it on the easter season, but i always seem to have low willpower when it comes to keeping with a diet. I tried to get back on it all week. overall i did alright, but i still find myself cheating here and there and the weight loss has completely stalled even though i've been to the gym 5 times this week. I have just felt really bad about the whole thing and need to pick myself up and start anew. So starting tomorrow i'm back on in full force. I think i'll start phase one over again, and see if i can get over this plateau. I'm just starting to think i'll never be thin, and trapped in this fat body forever.
it felt good to get the few confessions and pity parties out, and now i'm going to go at it strong.
any other south beachers? are there any good tips to share? i've found some great recipes, the trick is finding the time to make them.
well, wish my strength, and i wish the same for you all!
eajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #2  
skinnywomantryingtogetout

Default Don't beat yourself up.

I think we've all been where you are. Focus on how well you did the first week and try to zero in on why you were successful on those days. It doesn't matter that you backslid a bit. You are human after all. I'm not doing South Beach, I'm trying the low-fat route. It has worked for me in the past but I slid back and regained my weight. One of the things I do is to try to think about the foods I CAN have and I like. Planning my food for the day also helps. I know what time of day I get the munchies and I know what circumstances can lead to over-eating and I try to prepare by having something on hand that fits my diet budget. I'll tell you something that works for me - if i load up on carrots, celery, etc and still don't feel satisfied because I want something forbidden (like peanut butter!), I "sneak" just a tiny taste and because I'm truly so full from the veggies, I have the wonderful peanut butter taste in my mouth and I feel full and satisfied. That might be crazy and might not work for everyone, but it works for me. I decided that I would not forbid myself to have anything, but if it is bad for me, I will only have a taste. So maybe if you are craving french toast, you should have a bite of french toast.
Just hang in there. Learn what works for you. After all, you know yourself better than anyone, and you really can't fool yourself. I also sometimes remember the old mantra "Nothing taste as good as being thin feels" and that really is true.
insideskinny is offline   Reply With Quote