Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-01-2005, 10:02 AM   #1  

Question depressed

Have anyone that has been post op for a while experienced any depression after the surgery? I am so depressed with what I can and can't eat I am starting to regret having the surgery. I don't know how to get over it.

Reneelynn
Tigerslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #2  

Unfortunately I have been. I had days where I wondered what did I do to myself. Why did I do this. And I have had to walk away from the dinner table because I couldn't bear to watch my family shoveling in tons of food. All I can say though is that it will pass. You will have good days and bad days. As time is going on I am having more and more good days. Good days are out numbering the bad days now. And before my surgery EVERYDAY was a BAD day. Try and hang in there, and we are all here for you.
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:00 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

whoa!!! hold on everyone... did you all know that there's a really high rate of depression after surgery? the reason isn't quite understood, but there's a lot of evidence that it's really biochemical. our intakes of some key nutrients like B12 that are involved in maintaining our neurochemical balance are way way down.

this COULD be an early sign of nutritional deficiencies. or of hormonal imbalances [the sudden rapid weight loss releases a whole lot of fat-stored hormones that our bodies can't always adjust to as quickly.

soooo. although there may very well be some mourning for the lost quantities of food, i'd prefer to believe that it's more biochemical than anything else. talk to your surgeon, your PCP, anyone who will listen. it's important that you get help for this, whether it's medication or counseling or a support group with others in the same boat.

misty is right: in many people it does go away, and it's important to focus on the good points of the surgery. BUT, please don't think it's just YOU or your attitude...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:33 PM   #4  

Cool

Jiffypop is right. It's probably a byproduct of surgery itself, which is traumatic to the body. Six years ago I had major surgery (not WLS) and suffered from moderate to severe depression for a couple of months -- and as a bonus to the successful surgery I was losing quite a bit of weight! The depression could be a side effect of the trauma or to the anasthetic. Tell your doctor and let your close friends and family know. It will go away eventually.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote