Old 03-28-2005, 09:28 PM   #1  

Default Full Time Working Stiffs!!

We are a fun group of working stiffs!! We love to chat about our crazy days and trying to stay focused on losing weight! It dosen't matter what your weight goals are, it dosen't matter if you have kids or not, it dosen't matter what diet plan you are following, and it dosen't matter if you fall off the wagon. (who dosen't ) We love to chat about surviving the parties at work, the mad dash to get home and get dinner together, staying ahead of the laundry, and trying to make healthy choices among it all! And above all we like to have fun!! Anyone is welcome to join in!!
lmatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #2  
Kim

Hi. My name is Kim and I would love to join you "working stiffs". I work the night shift, 7P-7A, 3 nights/week. I have a 13 year old son, so I stay pretty busy. I've been trying to get this weight off since October, but for the last 3 months I've gained and lost the same 5 pounds over and over. Well, I'm ready to get serious now. Summer is getting closer and closer and I'll have to wear a bathing suit soon. I usually track my calories on Fitday.com and I go to the gym 5 days/week. I've recently started attending spin class, step aerobics, and body sculpting. I'm ready to see some results. I look forward to getting to know all of you. Thanks for the invite Robin!
kimberlydrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:44 AM   #3  
Kerry

Default Yay a NEW Thread!

Good Morning!

Way to go Lori! Love the new thread and intro.

Welcome Kim! Sounds like we are both about the same place. I've hit a plateau after losing 15 pounds. I've struggled to lose ONE lonely pound in about THREE weeks. I also use fitday religiously until recently. I guess I've tried to kid myself that I know what to eat and how to keep my calories down. After binging on chocolate cake last night, I'm not so sure. Chocolate is my WEAKNESS! I have to get back to using fitday more. I am terrible about exercising. Way to go Kim for exercising so regularly. There are lots of dedicated exercisers in our working stiff group. You'd think I'd catch the bug.

Alas, I am generally so tired after working, commuting and job searching in my spare time that I spend that little extra bit with DH because I adore the heck out of him. I'm currently trying to convince him to lose 10 pounds with me so that we can spend time together getting fit. We'll see how that goes.

I'm hoping today isn't as stressful as yesterday. We're trying to adjust attitudes around the library. My colleague and I are determined to not let the old-bitties here at the library ruin our professional lives. It's hard, I gotta tell you, but doable.

Have a great day ladies. I hope you all find the new thread!
Loud_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:05 PM   #4  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi all,

Well I had to go back to work today and I'm having a really hard time. While I was off for spring break, I was literally perfect on my diet. No cheating, I exercised and drank plenty of water. Now that I'm back, I want to munch. I gave away my one good for you snack to a co-worker but kept the pretzels just in case I get hungry with the munchies. But it's so hard not to eat while I work. It's like it's ingrained in my routine. Type some at the keyboard, stick food in my mouth, type some more. I walked in the door this morning and immediately wanted to reach for my snacks. At least they're healthy ones - thanks to all of your suggestions. But I still have to be aware that they have calories and will sabotage me just as much as a candy bar would.

Okay enough about that. I like the new thread and welcome Kim.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:37 PM   #5  
Robin

S/C/G: 225/223/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Good afternoon!

Hello ladies! I hope you are all having a wonderful day. It's raining here in Idaho, but we desperately need it. I'm in a good mood today because I'm now in my size 14 jeans. I can't get into all of my 14 pants yet, but I have to start somewhere. So now I just need to get rid of my 16s so that I don't ever grow back into them.

My minigoal for now is to break the 190 mark by my next weigh in, which is April 11. That's only 3 lbs, but I've had a hard time losing more than 2 lbs every two weeks. But no Little Debbie snack cakes this go around. Two of my coworkers brought in donuts and leftover Easter candy (chocolate), but I'm doing pretty good at avoiding it. I had a few little pieces of candy after yesterday's weigh-in, but nothing since.

Lori: Thanks for setting up the new thread. I like the introduction. How's your son doing?

Kim: I'm glad to see you here. I've been with this group for about three weeks now. They're all very nice and supportive. And in spite of our schedules, everyone tends to post fairly often.

Kerry: How long is your commute? I currently have a 45 minute commute, one way. It's really annoying at how much time it takes out of the day. And like you, by time I commute, work, do chores, also job search, and try to spend time with my husband, there's just not much time left. After we build our house, I'll have only a 25-30 minute commute, so that will be better. And of course, I can't forget the sleep. I love my sleep. There's just not enough hours in the day.

Marie: Do you like to chew gum? It sure helps me when I'm sitting at my desk working at the computer. Koolerz has a pina colada, sugar-free gum that's really good.

Paige: Glad to hear you finished with your house. I hope you had a good visit with your dad aside from all the work.

Judy: 12 lbs by Memorial day is very doable. Good luck with it. And we're here for support.

Joetta: I hope the basement cleanup is going well. Are your muscles sore from tearing out the carpet?

Have a great day everyone!
Robin
rtardif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:30 PM   #6  

Joetta
I need your financial help what does insolvency mean? I am looking at all this ugly debt and I remember when my friend filled for bankruptcy everybody offered to settle her debt. I called one credit card and they came down 20% of what I owed. Should I do this or not?? If you don't mind I need some advice!!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:43 PM   #7  

Oh goodness everybody, I'm losing my mind!! Welcome Kim!!

Robin Way to go on the size 14's!!! Don't worry I haven't lost more than 2lbs since the first week! So they say this is normal, but it sure is a slow processes!

Marie, type and munch! I used to do that alot when I worked at Verizon, I ruined more headsets from getting tomatoes and dressing in the microphone! I LOVE Quizno's Italian subs!!! But they really made a mess!! Going back to a daylight shift has seemed to calm my munchie button! Oh and I work with a bunch of guys, just try heating something up when they are around. It's not long I'm cooking for all of them! (almost like being at home )

All right Kerry, it's time to get down to business, I'm only 4lbs behind you so lets make a memorial day goal! If we can get you moving again, I bet that would kick up you loss!! Although I'm planning a cheat day this weekend (pizza and captin) Oh it's been way to long! I'll probably be hung over for days!! Can you see it now, me jumping up and down on that stupid box of mine with a barf bucket!! I may not drink again for another year!!

Ok I really need to track down Joetta, we close on the house tomorrow and I don't know how to spend my money! Can you imagine a girl not knowing how to spend her money! (I think I should have skipped my evening coffee, I'm a little to wound up!!)
Chat with you all later!!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:46 PM   #8  
kpe
Paige

Red face Yeah!

Lori- Thanks for the new thread!! You did a great job!

Kim- Welcome to our group, we are always glad to have to new "faces".

Kerry- Good Luck on getting your husband to join in. My husband is doing WW with me (I think). However he has only lost 10lbs to my 30, but he is trying and it does help me to stay focused.

Marie- I am so proud of you for doing so well staying on plan during spring break!!

Robin- Good luck on your minigoal!! You can do it!

I met my birthday goal 4 days early with a pound to spare!!!!! I guess I need to start a new goal! I am not looking forward to my birthday. I guess I only have a few more days to enjoy my 30's.

Paige
kpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:01 AM   #9  
Kerry

Default Hump Day

Good morning ladies! It is bright and sunny and beautiful outside here in the Carolinas today. We are supposed to reach temps around 80 degrees!! Of course I have to spend my day in the library instead of the sunshine. I'll probably try to sneak out during lunch to soak up some Vitamin D.

Lori - I guess I'm planning a cheat day too DH is a DJ and has a residency on the first Friday of the month at a local club. I don't always go, but I am planning to go this Friday and I will be drinking Martinis for sure! But you're right, I need to get moving. What kind of a challenge are you presenting? I do really need to get moving to lose more, that's for sure.

On that note - Robin - My commute is about 45 minutes each way as well and that doesn't count the time walking in and out of the hospital up the stairs and into the garage. I feel like I lose so much time in the car. I used to listen to books on tape, but nowadays I just listen to a lot of talk radio. I think it was Marie that mentioned taking the train and that would be GREAT to not have to drive and have that time to read. I am a BIG reader and would rather read than exercise anytime!

Ok I'll also admit that I am lazy. I don't like exercise. I was even a track runner in school. I saw the kids out on the track yesterday and I cringed thinking about training for the season when I was young. I LOVE to swim, but I have no where to do it. EXCUSES EXCUSES!

Way to go Robin on the size 14s!! YAY!!

Marie - I do better AT work than when I am off. I drink a lot of fluids and that seems to help. I munch on graham crackers, apples and yogurt. I try to eat on a schedule at work and that seems to help. I hope the munchies don't sabotage you!

Paige - CONGRATS on getting to your most recent goal! And you should not dread turning 40 - You've EARNED those years!! I look forward to that age because I feel like I am still floundering so much at 30 that I'll surely have more to show at 40. So Happy Birthday! What do you have planned?

Joetta - I hope you're surviving the gutting of the basement. Hopefully you're losing some pounds in the process.

So yeah I've gone on and on. I'm working the front desk this morning and had the time to post since the library's dead in the morning hours.

Have a great day ladies!
Old 03-30-2005, 05:39 PM   #10  

Well Kerry, I'm gonna suggest something short, but productive! What type of activity besides running have you done? I do a short 30 min. free weights 3 days a week and usually a longer 50 min. areobic 3 days a week. I use Joyce Vedral's Defination work out to lift with. I highly recomend this book, not the video (it's way too fast and her form is awful) As for my cardio (I was a weakling 10 weeks ago) I started with Susan Powter's step tape. She is really informative and honestly knows what she is doing. The best part there is some not so slim people taking her class (which helps) If this isn't it there are sooooo many options!!! First is to find something that you will do, then second it to do it! I've finally started to look forward to my work outs, and if I skip a day I can tell I'm not quite as up beat. Let me know Kerry, it really stinks to hit a wall three weeks for that one pound, I don't know I may have smashed the scales!!

Any way I'm getting very close to my half way loss, which was a small goal I had set for this weekend (coz we are going out) So I guess it's time to set a new one. I'm averaging about 1lb a week so by memorial day that should be around 8lbs so I'm going to set a 10lb goal for that weekend.

Oh Paige, half the time I don't know how old I am if somebody gives me a pop quiz! After the kids I stopped counting, I don't know how old anybody is, but I know what year everybody was born. So if it's real important I can do the math.

A HUGE THANK YOU!! for the toe advice!!! They were feeling sore today so when I got home I took you all's advice and they feel better (at least I can stand it) I swear if I can let them grow out I'll never cut them again, I'll file them down to keep me from doing this again!!
Ok really yacking now, I'm gonna go eat (Still looking for Joetta, I have money to spend) I hope they let her out of the basement soon!!
Old 03-30-2005, 07:35 PM   #11  
Kerry

Default Exercising is necessary :( But good news!

I went walking tonight. I took Bella and she always makes it more of a work out. It's beautiful and warm here today (almost too warm/humid like a precurser to the sweltering summer that awaits me in the south). I guess I need to invest in some new exercise videos. I have the pilates/yoga tape, but I don't like it. Lori, I'm going to go look up the one you mentioned. I guess I'll need a step to do it huh? I looked into checking something out from the library, but they're all out and have waiting lists. I'd just like to sample a few things to see what I like before I purchase. :sigh: I'll get moving. I don't know if I can lose anymore if I don't.

Good news! I got an email from Ohio University today requesting to schedule an interveiw for the first of May. I have a positive vibe about the whole thing and I'm looking forward to visiting the campus and interviewing. Hopefully some of the others I've applied with will contact me in the next month and I'll get a few options, but OU would be good.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:16 PM   #12  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Evening all,

I hope you all had a better diet day than I had. I screwed up this evening. I was making a dessert for a party tomorrow (that's going to be another diet nightmare) and my fork found it's way into it. All I can say is that I didn't have too much and each bite was worth it. Black Forest Triffle. Mmmm. So, I screwed up but now I'm evening more resolved. I came to my confessional and told you all. I also didn't exercise. I blew the evening away until it was too late to exercise. I need at least 90 minutes before bed to bring me down from exercising or I can't sleep the whole night. So today was a diet screw up.

At work, I did better today than I did yesterday with my healthy snacks. I tried the advice you all gave me to have halthy snacks around for my munchie monster. I had crackers and pretzels. I overate them. So I threw them out this afternoon. I have to go cold turkey or bring a little serving from home. If it's there, I eat it. Tomorrow will be a bust, but on Friday I will bring a small packet of grapes for the morning and the afternoon I just have to make it because I want to feel hunger occasionally (tells me I'm onthe right path - just not lots of hunger - a gnaw here or there is good enough).

So that brings up tomorrow. Our department is having a party and I'm bringing chili and the dessert. I figure the chili is pretty lo-cal but what everyone else is bringing isn't. There aren't that many people (6) and it's very noticed if you don't eat and feelings get hurt bery easily. So I figure I will take a little of everything and push it around my plate. Think that will work? These people mean a lot to me and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so if I have to eat, I will. There's always the evening to recover, right?

Speaking of tomorrow, it's a day of beauty. I'm getting my hair trimmed and frosted. I've been growing it out for the last 6 months and it's finally to a stage that I like it. So a trim will shape it up and I decided to add a frosting to it. I've been coloring it red, but it fades back to my natural dark blonde quickly. With swim season and sun around the corner, I didn't want to color it red only to have it fade in a week or two. I have a pool, so the chlorine would strip the color right out of it. So I'm going to have light blonde chunks put in it tomorrow. Should be cool.

KERRY!!!!! AN INTERVIEW!!!!! My prayers are with you. I really hope it works for you. I know how hard this has been for you.

Lori, great news on the halfway goal being reached. I'm way away from that but I'm only half old, so I have years to keep on this trek. Just kidding, in two years, I want to be maintaining not losing. I also don't know how old I am unless I do the math. Today I told someone I was 45 and then did the math (think before speaking Marie) and realized I was 43. Oops.

Have a great Thursday.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:02 AM   #13  
Kim

Smile

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I've had an O.K. day. I ate half of a package of Keebler chocolate covered graham crackers, but somehow still managed to stay under 1500 calories. I figure I burned about 600 at the gym tonight. I'm doing good with the exercise, but I can't seem to get the eating under control.

Paige- Great job meeting your minigoal!!! Do you like doing weight watchers? I was counting points, and that's how I lost my first 17 pounds. I think I will probably start keeping up with points again tomorrow since I know that it works.

Kerry- Chocolate is my weakness too. I ate way too many calories yesterday. 1/2 of my daily calories yesterday were from chocolate. I just started exercising in October, and at that time I could barely make it up a flight of stairs. Now, I'm addicted. I feel soooo much better when I do it.

Marie- I have lots of days that I'm in the mood to munch. I have no willpower when we have potlucks at work. I don't know if it's stress related or what, but if the food's there, I'm going to eat it. Good luck tomorrow.

Robin- Way to go on the 14's. WoooHoooo!!! You definitely have a challenging workplace. They are always bringing good stuff to eat.

Lori- Sunday is usually my cheat day. I think I might cut it out for a while. I'm pretty sure that if I would cut out my cheat day (or days here lately), my weight loss will pick back up. I could probably lose 2 pounds per week. I kindof lose control though. Sometimes I eat up to 3500 calories on Sundays. I read that you do a step aerobics video. I just started attending step class about 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it!

Have a great night!
Kim
kimberlydrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 05:10 PM   #14  
Robin

S/C/G: 225/223/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Howdy!

I haven't posted for the past two days. I've been feeling kind of blah. My inlaws were all sick this past weekend with a stomach/intestinal virus, and I think my body has been fighting it. I've been nauseated, but not actually enough to get sick. But it was bad enough that I didn't eat any of our Mexican pot luck at work yesterday. I have NEVER turned down Mexican food. I lived the first 29 years of my life in Texas. I can't survive without it. It's in my blood. Instead I didn't eat anything.

However, I did have a small peice of cake later. I ended up regretting that afterwards. I ate some saltine crackers for dinner with a diet Sprite. I've been taking it easy today, too. Not doing bad today, but somewhat tired.

Kim: Your workouts really impress me. I used to work out like that, two years ago. I missed it when I didn't get to do it. Now I just don't have time for quite so much. I wouldn't worry so much about the cookies, either. With the way you work out, you've burned them all off already.

Kerry: Congratulations and good luck with the interivew. I hope it goes well. Did you ever hear anything back from Idaho?

Marie: Black Forest anything is one of my favorites. I love chocolate and cherry together. I bet it was great.

Well, gotta get back to work. Everyone take care. I'll check back in later when I have more time.
Robin
rtardif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:36 PM   #15  
Kerry

Default Tired

Hi Ladies, I'm REALLY tired, but I wanted to make a quick post.

It seems that chocolate is the EVIL DEMON for quite a few of us. I have the last of a dark chocolate bunny calling to me. I've done really well all day so I might have a bite. Shhhh!

Robin, I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I hope you get better ASAP! I can't imagine turning down Mexican food either!

Thanks for the good luck wishes for the interview. I'm going to need it! I got word today that VCU in Richmond Virginia is checking my references this week. WOW! I can't believe I actually have TWO bites. Then there are another FOUR closing today and tomorrow including the Washington State job. It's going to be INSANE if they all call and I have that many options! I'll let you know as everything progresses.

Problem is that my suit pants don't fit. While I am glad of it, I either need to see my alteration lady or buy a new suit!

Good night ladies. I'm going to go be a slug on the couch and watch the OC! See ya tomorrow!