Old 03-17-2005, 08:54 AM   #1  
GmaTo8

Arrow Weight Loss & Toning Talk #4

Hi Ladies!

Want to talk about your struggles and successes with weight loss, healthy food choices, and exercise? Need some encouragement? Want to share a NSV (non-scale victory)? You found the right place! Jump in with your ideas, concerns, and general 2¢ worth to help make this lifelong journey a positive one.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:00 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

Default (copied from #3)

Anita - yep, I'm real familiar with Diet and Exercise, lol. Especially Diet. Stay around here and we'll help you get through it, ok?

Cristi - wish I could do something to help you out of the slump! I know how you're feeling because I've been there many, many times. Vacation will be a challenge for both of us!

Marti - YAY for the loss! Plus, you've GOT to be going down in inches, with all the Gazelling you do!

Katy - glad you're feeling better w/o the sugar. I find that saving a couple of points for a bedtime snack helps me sleep better. We're all different, though.

Just a quick one here. I've been walking outside since the weather is better. Still not warm out, but not so cold. I do love walking outdoors where the air is clean and fresh, and I always take my cell phone, just in case. Might close up the Gazelle until we hit rainy weather. I've been trying to cut back a little more since I'm going on vacation soon. So far, so good!
Old 03-17-2005, 11:40 AM   #3  
Hello my name is FABULOUS

Hi ladies,

Just popping in to say hi. I have been trying each and every day to work out but honestly the last couple of days have really been a chore. I did walk about 3 kilometres last night with the dog, but so far today I've done zip. and to make things worse The OC is on tonight so I know my butt will be planted on the couch.

Jane--How long did it take you to lose your weight? I am shooting for a weight loss goal of 1 year. I am hoping by Next March to be down aound 145. Is that too much to expect? I want to do it right this time.
I love walking outside. I just hate walking in the winter, and it seems as if winter is never going to end. Last night was nice.

My biggest challenge to overcome is my impulse eating. I know what foods are good for me but I have poor control over my impulses. I never used to eat chocolate but since I had Joycelyn there are days when it is all I ever think of.

Anywhoo, I should break this connection and go an get some house work done. At least I'll burn some calories today,, At least until Joycelyn wakes up and we have to go out.

Anita
Neets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:59 PM   #4  
GmaTo8

Hi Anita,

Ten of the pounds were from some weight I'd lost in the Fall of '03. The other 75 of the 85 pounds I lost from 1/24/04 (NOT a Monday!) to 12/11/04. That was with no down time. None. Not even on my birthday, or when we vacationed. There was only one week where I showed a gain, and that was unjustified. There were 3 or 4 weeks that I stayed the same in all that time. The week that I gained, I lost it and more the next week. Weight Watchers was just what I needed. I didn't waver at all from the program.

Although I did occasionally have foods a person may not consider healthy, most of time my diet was made up of lean meats, dairy, grains, healthy fats, fruits, and lots and lots of veggies. And when I did eat the other foods, portion control was what got me through. After all, I like the casseroles and dishes my family enjoys. I didn't consider any food "off limits" and think that was one of the most important things I did this time. I just had to be careful of the portions.

Another thing is to PLAN AHEAD. I wrote down everything I was going to eat, on the night before I ate it. "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail".

But to answer you honestly, I have been struggling with my weight all of my life, with my 20's being my most slender years. I became obese in my early 40's and tried over and over to lose for almost a decade before I "got" it. You should know that I am still not at my ideal weight. I truly should lose about 30 more pounds, but am trying to avoid more wrinkles in my face.

As far as impulses go, if it isn't in the house, you can't eat it. If chocolate is a trigger food, you could do as I do and buy 1 candy bar once in awhile, and share it with someone if you can. Or have a lite version more often. Chips were/are my downfall, so I buy the little bitty 25¢ bags, one about every 5 or 6 weeks. (portion control again!)

Have you read Dr. Phil's book? If not, I highly recommend it. Btw, I think at your age, you could lose, healthily, 80 pounds in 1 year. Six pounds a month was my average. Some months were more, some less. Just don't try to lose too fast. I don't think I've ever known of anyone who lost fast and KEPT it off.

I'd say good luck, but luck has nothing to do with it! (((HUGS)))
Old 03-24-2005, 01:50 PM   #5  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Thank you Jane!

I wish I knew what to do. Well, I know what to do it's just a matter of doing it and sticking with it. I don't know why I can't stick with anything for long. I figure eventually I will get it right and quite farting around. Right now I haven't gained or lost so I guess that is good. Of course it doesn't help that it is TOM. Jeez, I wish that would stop completely instead of teasing me. One month nothing, and then BAM! or two months nothing and then BAM!

How is everyone else doing?
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:39 PM   #6  
GmaTo8

Cristi - staying the same is better than gaining, at least!

The Chicago trip and today (Easter Sunday) were challenging for me! This week I will get back to eating healthier and less processed foods. No restaurants, lol.

Also, I didn't get nearly enough water while I was gone, and I can sure tell the difference!

How's it going for the rest of you ladies?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:38 PM   #7  

Height: 5'1"

My trip to SF made me realize how much MORE exercising I should be doing also the kinds of foods I SHOULD be eating!

Going to figure out a plan this week and see what I can do. I want to be in BETTER shape by next years vacation!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:59 PM   #8  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

Welcome back Jane. Good to have you back.

I know how you feel Marti and Cristi. I keep wondering why I can't stick with a plan...and I know I need to be in better shape. I lose and put it right back on. I HAVE to get a grip and get on track. Started walking again yesterday and then it rained today
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:26 AM   #9  
RosieKate

Good morning....
I didn't get near enough exercise last week...I was chasing kids around and it has been raining here. This week I hope to get back on a schedule. Got my stepper back out, so the rain is no excuse anymore.

I did ok with Easter, tho' did not stay on my food plan. I did have some candy, but I just had a few pieces then bagged up all the rest for DH to take to work. Drank some wine with dinner as well. Today I am back on my no sugar-no alcohol-no eating after 7 regimen. Also getting in 90 oz of water...I'm sloshing around but not too many trips to the potty as yet.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 03-28-2005, 10:51 AM   #10  
One day at a time

It's MONDAY!

A new start for me, yet again! At least I haven't given up, yet, so I guess that is a good thing. I am back on track starting today with this weight loss and am surprisingly happy to say I am down two pounds! Last week was a bad one for me with it being TOM! Every time I think I am through with it BAM! It starts again and messes me up. Anyway, dealing with it. I've had to start over with the water drinking because didn't drink what I should have when I went away. I know I should have stuck with it but I seriously would have been stopping every 20-30 minutes and would have gotten no where! I am going to slowly get into a routine of exercise also. Anyway, that's about all I have.

Have a losing week everyone!
Old 03-28-2005, 03:03 PM   #11  
RosieKate

WTG Cristi!

2 lbs gone - never to be seen again!
Old 03-28-2005, 03:09 PM   #12  
One day at a time

Thumbs up Back again!

Thank you Katy!

Was looking around the site earlier and came upon this site I thought I would share with you ladies. Lots of tips and info-spent a lot of time on the site today and still haven't read everything. But I did sign up for the newsletter. Anyway, take a look if you like...http://www.100-weight-loss-tips.com/ (now let me see if that link works, Had to do a couple of things and then came back to it and was having a problem with it not coming up)
Old 03-28-2005, 07:12 PM   #13  
GmaTo8

Katy - I was just noticing your ticker - look how far you've come!! That's a lot to be proud of!
Old 03-29-2005, 08:23 AM   #14  
RosieKate

Thanks, Jane!

It sure is slow going, but that's better than never losing at all, I guess!
Old 04-01-2005, 07:48 AM   #15  
GmaTo8

Cristi - I checked out that site and bookmarked it. How cool!!

Well, I am doing great with points and exercise and water. All 3 at the same time, lol. It's usually the exercise part that I lag in, but have been walking or doing outdoor stuff. I folded up the Gazelle until Fall when the weather gets too nasty or it's too dark in the mornings for me to be on the roads out here. The dogs love that I'm walking again - they love to go with me a sniff out the rabbits, lol.

How's it going for you?