Old 03-17-2005, 04:43 PM   #1  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Default Good Causes, Weight Loss and Goals

Hi chicas!

I wanted to share pictures from my very first 5K. http://sweetennui.org/photos/5kphotos/

Keiko (the dog) and I competed in a 5K Doggie Dash (which means you run with your dog). We finished it in 49:54 minutes (quit laughing) and we had a grand ol' time. There were so many dogs in all shapes and sizes. And a lot of poop.

Keiko spent the entire race doing what sled dogs love to do - PULLING!!. He seriously did not like being behind any other dog. The course was beautiful and so was the weather. The event was well put together and I raised $100 for the Humane Society, which was my goal.

Keiko kept it fun and interestingly, he really pushed me to try harder. I don't think I would have as good of time in a non-dog 5K.

I'd like to do another 5K soon and try to get my time under 40 minutes. I was hoping to hear some stories from other people who like to race and maybe encourage other people to get involved.

I had some weird I idea of getting people to sponsor me for every pound I lost before a race but that sounds bizarre.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

That was a lot of fun looking at all those dogs and people--thanks for sharing! You know, I saw an article in the paper yesterday about a food blogger who got people to sponsor him for every pound he lost. He donated the money to a food bank. Good incentive for him.

Does Keiko ever pull you on skates or anything? I tried to get my Husky mix to pull a sled because she was an incredible puller until she turned about 16 (the year before she died at 17 she got slower, which was kind of nice for us!), but the minute I tried to harness her up, she'd turn around, look at me, and quit moving entirely. She was the sweetest dog--wonder if that's the Husky in her?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:24 PM   #3  

If Keiko ever goes missing in the middle of the night, you know where to look!!!! I love your dog, just gorgeous!!! I love my cat but they are just not as encouraging for exercise as dogs!!! In fact just the opposite, lying on the couch all day watching telly!!!

I am doing my first 5 k in June. I have never done anything like this before, but I feel really motivated.

One of the girls at our pub is doing a sponsored slim, I have thought about it, but feel a bit weird about it. I have enough pressure on myself without getting sponsored and feel like I am letting others down if I fail.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:36 PM   #4  
Jenny

I'm doing a 4k walk in June to benefit Breast Cancer. I'm leading my team at work. There's no way I could do the 4k run, maybe next year
thefictionalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:30 PM   #5  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Thanks for showing us a slice of your life. Love the pics. Such a cute dog.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:10 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Omg! I loved the pics It's so fun to see what people look like... plus *when* you moved to Canada, I'll know who to look for So yah, whats the ETA?

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:40 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefictionalme
I'm doing a 4k walk in June to benefit Breast Cancer. I'm leading my team at work. There's no way I could do the 4k run, maybe next year
My five k will be a waddle rather than a run!!!! I am hoping that being a fun run there will be plenty of walkers/waddlers there!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 10:27 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

that looks like such fun. Last year I wanted to try the 5k run for a local festival but chickened out. I'm thinking I may really give it a go this year. Who cares if it takes me 3 hours to finish it (I know it won't but I would like to say I finished it.)

You definitely did inspire me.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 06:17 PM   #9  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

I might be able to work my way up to a 5k walk, but a run? My goodness! That looks like a fun time there with all the dogs. When I walk for fitness, I tend not to take the dogs with me because they pull so much (our fault) and are always screwing up my bad wrist. Their exercise and mine are separate, LOL!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 08:57 AM   #10  
2006 - Panda Remix

Well done Jessica!

That is one handsome dog! He looks like a husky, so no wonder he loves to pull you!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:55 AM   #11  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I love your dog. That's a great cause too. I'm not at the running stage, but thanks for passing it on so I can keep it in mind when I get there.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:38 PM   #12  

Hey Goddess J,
I haven't been on the boards for a while, but I used to frequent this group. I started running last spring...my first 5K was last May. Don't you love that feeling when you cross the finish line??? So exciting! I never would have believed that I could walk 5K, never mind run it! I am planning to run my first 10K this May....I'm pretty excited! What kind of race stories are you looking for??? I was inspired by a friend of mine who is now training for a marathon! She started out at around the same starting weight as me (260), so I figured if she could run, so could I! I went to cheer her in at the finish line for her half marathon last year (21K!) and was so inspired by seeing all of the different sorts of people who were running. There was one man who looked to be in his 70s running and there were people who were overweight (like me!). There were some people who you could tell were having a really tough time and finishing the race by the strength of their will (or stuborness?). By the time we left the race my hands were bruised from clapping cheering for everyone!
Maybe we can compare some running notes? What made you decide to start running?
looosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:00 PM   #13  

Interesting thread! The pictures are fabulous!

For myself, I'm doing the 3-day, 50-mile MS Challenge Walk in September. I just started my walking program this week, so I've got about 6 months to work my way up to 20 miles a day! Since the minimum fundraising goal for this event is $1500, that's a LOT of pledges to get and a LOT of people that I will let down if I don't complete it, so it's a HUGE incentive for me to stick with it!

Fiona
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:26 PM   #14  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Default Back from vacation

Sorry i didn't respond earlier - I just got back from DC.

Shelia - Oh i was so glad to hear yours lived until she was 17! My oldest is 10 and the only reason she slowed down was because of a spinal problem. But everyday I wish she was immortal. No, I haven't had keiko pull me because I'm not sure if I could stop him! I have harnessed him and he really does pull on every form of leash. We do have a dog cart club here but again - he'd have to *listen* to me and that just doesn't happen.

kykaree - You assume I would actually look for him if he went missing. I love huskies but as my faux-mother-in-law (my boyfriend's mom) said after watching them for a week, "I've never met such high maintence dogs." Hee!

SwimGirl - Heh! My dogs would love if I moved to Canada. After my week in DC tho, I think the cooler weather would kill me.

barbygirl43 - Who cares how long it takes! When I finished, I was like "Ok, now i know what time I want to beat next time."

Gardenwife - My back hurt for a week after the 5K - i kept thinking, "Wow, am I sleeping wrong?" and i remembered the last time my back hurt was when Keiko was pulling like crazy. Sometimes he's fine, othertimes it's like he thinks he's balto!

looosingit - I am so proud of you, girl! Look at that weight dropping. I'm definately still in that run/walk stage. I was running about 3 miles a day when I got a nasty case of plantar facisitis and went to walking again. Now, i'm kinda in between. I've been thinking about "racewalking," which is this competitive form of walking. You look absolutely ridiculous doing it but who cares. My friend is a marathon runner and she inspired me. I'd really like to do a trialthon one day. I love going to marathons too, just to see these amazing people cross the finish line. I was waiting at the finish line of one marathon for my friend and I just cried the whole time - these cute old men, women in wheel chairs. It was just amazing. Yes, i would love to trade running notes, PM me anytime!

mkfionap - WOW! That will be a challenge. Keep us posted on your progress!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote