Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 03-21-2005, 12:47 AM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default Baby names?

Where did you get your names from? family? celebrity? etc?

still need help picking a name? I love this tool from baby center.

My daughter was named after Bob Dylan's wife (dh is a huge fan) and Elijah is from the Old Testament (in hebrew it means "the Lord is my God") We call him Eli.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:20 AM   #2  
resident lactivist

Warning: I'm about to get really long-winded.

Wow, I'd forgotten how much I loved that site! Thanks for giving me the link back.

I have three basic criteria for names:
1) Must have a good meaning (like Cecilia means either "blind" or "lame", I don't remember)
2) Must not be too popular. I check out the SSA's popularity site. I really prefer names out of the top 500 or 1000 totally, but has to be at least out of the top 100. But still has to be an actual name, not something made up.
3) Must have a relatively easy pronunciation & spelling. Nothing "kreativ" for me.

I give bonus points for family names, & both my girls have the same rhythm to their names: 2 syllables, 3 syllables, 1 syllable, 1 syllable (last name). But that was coincidence.

My older daughter: Bobbie Catharine Doyle. First name is for her father. Almost no one gets this, & I thought it would be blindingly obvious. In the South, anyway. Catharine is just my absolute favorite name, but it's too common for a first name & the spelling is too odd too. (It's a legit spelling, just a rare one.) Doyle is my grandfather's middle name; he died when I was pregnant with her. It's also the middle name of one of my cousins.

My younger daughter: Linda Margaret Anne. Linda is my sister's first name. I get a great reaction to this name. Fifty years ago, darn near every other woman was named Linda, but you never hear it anymore. Margaret is my favorite cousin's first name. It's actually a second first name, not a first middle name. Anne is my other female cousin's middle name, but she spells it Ann, which just looks wrong to me.

For this one, we don't know. If it's a boy, it will be either Randolph ______ Paul or Paul Randolph _______. Has to have three names like the girls. Randolph is, embarassingly enough, for Randolph AFB back home in San Antonio. We were trying to come up with a name that just screamed SA & what we came up with was Randolph Antonio Maverick (the Mavericks being one of the founding families of the city & my church back home); only the first name stuck. Paul is after a very close friend of mine who died my senior year of high school.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:43 AM   #3  

LOL Sabra, my baby's daddy is leaving May 17th to go to San Antonio into the air force, but I didn't know the name of the base. We didn't wanna do a family name because he is hispanic and does not want the baby to have a hispanic name And God help me my father's name is Louis Irvin, sorry can't do that to the child So I went through a long long long list of boy names and picked out my top 30 then daddy narrowed it down to 7 he liked. Right now we are leaning toward Patrick Ryan or Evan Patrick.
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

We picked for a girl Emma Ann. Emma, we liked, and Ann is my grandmothers name.
For a boy, we picked Gabriel James.... G- for Gretchen and J for Jeremy (my husbands name). Wacky huh?
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #5  
maintainer wannabe

We have a lot of different types of names. Mostly the problem is running out of one's we like lol. We mostly pick by sound and ignore meaning. I prefer unpopular. Different is ok but not too weird.

Kristy-Ann Margaret, I picked Kristy-Ann before I met dh. He likes most girls names so agreed. Margaret is my mother's and my middle name.

Réjean Alexander (Sandy), Réjean is dh's and dh's father's name. All boys on my fathers side use Alexander. We call him Sandy which is my grandfathers nick. It was the only name dh would agree on. I hate explaining that he is a boy lol

Chloë Elizabeth, At my prenatal class a woman named her dd Chloë. I thought I'd use it. It was my childhood bestfriend's name. Elizabeth was a friend of dh's

Margaret (Margo) Elaine is my granmothers name. Margo was a fun neighbor

Philip Jay, I was reading a book while pg that was written by a Philip J. and it stuck on me. Jay is a nickname of dh's old bestfriend

James Noah, I forgot how we agreed on James. We often call him Jamie. I have a cousin with the same name. Noah is a name I liked but not dh. He wanted me to get over so agreed as a second name.

Rachel May Beatrice, Rachel was just a name we liked. Beatrice is dh's gma that had passed away while I was pg. May just sounded nice to tie them together.

Colin Patrick, Every boy I'd ask for Colin. Dh finally said yes lol. Dh picked Patrick

Holly Robyn, Dh really wanted Holly and I liked Robyn.

Cynthia Cailey, I just liked these names. Dh wasn't keen on Cynthia until he heard the nick Tia

This baby's name is Robyn Hannah. I regretted using Robyn as a middle name. Dh wanted Hannah for Tia but it didn't sound right. Right after Tia's name was decided we also decided next girl would be Robyn Hannah. Made naming this one so much easier lol.

Catherine EDD#11 June 24th
hw/sw(pg)/cw/gw
272/258/239/155
mabear's homepage
mabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:54 PM   #6  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

DH & I both liked Peter, it's not in the top 100, can't be spelled different, or screwed up any other way! I swore I'd call him Petey, but haven't since he was in the womb! My niece calls him Pete sometimes.

Robby was not named until the day before he was born! We couldn't agree on a name. I love Daniel...tried that for Peter, but our last name begins with D, and DH didn't like the DD thing. There are a few Roberts in DH's family, but none close by, or that we see often. I said as long as we call him Robby, not Bobby or Robert, it would be fine.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 09:20 PM   #7  

Kate is simple, easy to spell and means "Pure". I don't think there is anything more pure than a baby girl. My best friend throughout Jr High and High School is named Kate as well. I didn't want it to be short for anything, just Kate. My family has a lot of names that can not be shortened, like Kate, Meredith (me), Evan (brother), even my boyfriend's name, Shaun.

Lee is Kate's middle name. It is my last name and it honors my whole family instead of just picking one person.

Kate's last name is Mullett (hence the screen name). I think it all goes really well together.

If we had a boy, he was going to be Beck Lee.

Meredith
She-Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:35 AM   #8  
mom5kidz

Well, let's see -

Our oldest was named Tiffany bcs my g'mother liked it. I was tossed up between that or Valarie. She chose Tiffany.

Our boys, LOL, well - my one son, Micheal Scott, was named after an old boyfriend. Does my dh know? Yes and he knew back then also. My other son was named after my g'mother (justine) and my dad (richard)

My two younger girls - Audrey was named after my great g'mother (and it was the best name for her, she IS the image of the woman) Emily was named bcs it was a name that dh has always liked.

I had other names in mind but ended up with these.

This is what is so weird - all the girls, in this house, have names that end in Y - TiffanY, AudreY, EmilY and me, KimberleY, and we were all born out of state (michigan, sc and ky)

The men are all called by their middle names and all were born in GA
kclay61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:02 AM   #9  
resident lactivist

Quote:
LOL Sabra, my baby's daddy is leaving May 17th to go to San Antonio into the air force, but I didn't know the name of the base.
Lackland is the basic training base. Boy, when I was a teenager, I sure loved going downtown on the Saturdays the recruits were let out to stretch their legs. (And then I went and married a sailor.)

I'm driving myself insane right now with my criteria for name #3. The names can't start with the same letter as the girls' first or middle names, and the first name can't end in the same sound as either girl's first name. Right now, the frontrunner is Esther, after a friend of mine from high school.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:14 PM   #10  

I have my ultrasound tomorrow... SO hopefully, I will find out the sex of my little one. Now that it's becoming more of a reality, I am getting wishy-washy on the names. We thought we liked Gabriel James for a boy but now we aren't so sure because we don't want him (if its a boy) to be called gabe. My sister also works for "Gabriel Brothers" and -----OH I just cant make up my mind. We have also been considering Carson Gabriel.

Maybe I'll get a poll going.....
Old 05-03-2005, 01:27 PM   #11  

LOL glad ya brought this up. Jose and I FINALLY!!! decided on a name he will be Ryan Patrick And P.S. Gretchen I think you are having a girl
Old 05-03-2005, 01:59 PM   #12  

You think I am having a girl.... I thought so at first but I am so convinced its a boy.. I know they say the heartrate really doesn't determine, but my babys heart rate is around 124. "They" say that under 140 boy over 140 girl. I am carrying out front, BUT I am craving sweets and fruits. Who knows.. Tomorrow will tell!!! Why do you think I am having a girl... C'mon, lemme in on the big secret!!

I love ryan patrick... We also considered ryan,...
Old 05-03-2005, 02:23 PM   #13  

Just a gut feeling I have that you are having a girl
Old 05-04-2005, 06:33 AM   #14  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Gretchen,
Eli's hb was always around 151 - so go figure, eh?
Let us know as soon as you can.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:44 AM   #15  
Kat

I named my son Keyan, my parents wanted me to name him Keagan but i didn't like that name so i did a lil comprimise.
Kat0205 is offline   Reply With Quote