Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-12-2005, 05:00 PM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia #137

The wet weather is what kills me, too ... and it's wet here A LOT! Have you ever tried Inderal? That's what I take. They tried to get me off it last year and about killed me. My heart was beating over 120 beats a minute just from going out on the porch and calling the dog ... and talk about arrhythmia! They tried to switch me over to Verapamil ... it didn't work. They kept increasing the dosage higher and higher ... still didn't work. Finally, after about 3 or 4 weeks of me staying at home and in the bed - totally - they decided I'd have to go back on Inderal and stay on it the rest of my life. What's so scarry is ... my dad was on Inderal when he died!

Jenna's BD party was wild. A whole house full! Had to put out all the food, fix kids drinks (7 kids), make all the picures plus video the whole thing. Can you believe I was the only one who thought to bring a camara! Daughter said, Mom, it's a good thing you have a digital camara because I don't even have film for mine! I told her I'd just zap 'em off to Wally World and she could look at them online and pick the ones she wanted, order them and have them sent right to her door for .19 each for 4X6s. The postage is really cheap, too. That kid got so much stuff. Her mama told her she could invite 3 children (besided her cousins and brother) to her party. You'll never guess what she did! She invited three BOYS! They were soooo CUTE! I told my daughter-in-law ... when they were opening presents ... I think two of the little boys were kind-of jealous of each other! I said I wondered what happened to the fourth one ... I asked her a while back how many boyfriends she had and she said FOUR!

Mima ... I get sore when I do ANYTHING. I had been doing some stretching exercises before I fell and was so proud of myself. I was actually doing pretty good. Feeling a little sore, but pleased with my progress. Then I had to go and fall. I'm getting better, though, so maybe I can get back to it soon! I'm glad Brad is able to help some now. He'll be back to his old self soon, too. Won't you be so glad!!! It's hard when one has to do it all.
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:10 PM   #2  

Default Hey There

Meme- I have been on inderal for a number of years now.Also on digitec and lasix.. plus a whole barrel of vitamins..It seems like I am forever sticking pills in my mouth..I ache so bad lately I wish I could just go to bed and stay. That just isn't me though. I went out today and cut back some bushes. I should have just gone for my walk. I will pay big time tonight.The yard has been neglected lately. It looks like if I want it taken care of ,I will have to get busy more.
Sounds like you had a nice party for the young ones. When the girls and boys start noticing each other ,look out.I am glad I don't have that worry. My daughter is watching her kids now. But they are grown so she just as well turn a blind eye.
Hello everybody...Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:37 PM   #3  

Yep ... if you want it done, do it yourself ... same here! I'm just tired of doing it ... over, and over, and over!

Hey ... Jenna is turning SIX next Thursday ... lets don't get her married off just yet! She's the blonde I said was six going on sixteen!
Old 03-12-2005, 08:43 PM   #4  

Happy Birthday a little late Joanne!!!!

Anne, my hand is ok. It is still very sensitive. The incision itself is completely healed, but the area around it hurts. I really don't want a cortisone shot, and that's what he said he'd do if it is still hurting in May. I really think that the healing will go faster when school is out. Maybe I should just stop teaching now! lol

Jenna is so cute!! When Tim was 5, he wanted to invite his "girlfriends". Oh my. We ended up just inviting most of his preschool class, so that was boys and girls. It was a small class and we had the party at McDonalds! They planned the games, served the cake, and took care of everything. I highly recommend it to anyone. We also did a party at Burger King once.

I've been taking glucosamine tablets for a little over a month now. I am not seeing any difference one way or the other. My knees are still aching. I guess I'll give up on them. Still taking Relafin and Flexeril.

I'm listening to music to go along with my talk that I'll be giving on the Emmaus Walk in April. My talk is on a Life in Piety. I keep reworking my talk. I have to preview it in 2 weeks in front of the rest of the team. They will critique it for me afterwards. I'll probably cry. lol
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:24 PM   #5  
One day at a time

I have been having pains in my legs for sometime now and now my knees are hurting worse. My doctor did a protein enzyme test and that came back fine. How do you get check for fibromalgia? I hurt so bad at times all I can do is just lay in bed and cry. Please any information would be great!
tkay90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:52 AM   #6  

Hi there-I believe that you need to go to a rheumotologist and he will check your trigger points-hose are spots that kill when you touch them-I probably have 2000 that hurt-just kidding. I don't think it will show up in a blood test. As far as your legs-I am a firm believer in massage to help. I am going to get one next week because my back hurts.The muscle is in a lump on my rump!!
Mike had a St Patricks Day party but the musician had to go home with his kids so Alison played. She is really doing well. What if she had Meme for a teacher!!!WoW!!!
Lots of food-he's such a cook. He hasn't got his fence up for his pool yest and Evan saw the open door and wow-he was making a beeline. Soon-Mike is having a hard time getting people to do the work because they are all so busy after the hurricane.I will be very happy when I see that fence.
Tammy-what is this Walk for Emmaus-I know who Emmaus is-sounds interesting. I looked on my credit card website and there is a bill from the hotel in Orlando that we were suppossed to stay it before Brad got sick. I cancelled it right away and of course it's the weekend so I can't get to the billing department. Rrrrrr.
I am having so much trouble with asthma!! Of course I ate wheat last night-I made very good Irish soda bread!! Bye for now Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:07 AM   #7  
I vant to draw your blood

Hi There~~

Can I join the thread?

I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I've had all the symptoms, not necessarily all at the same time, for years and years, and just recently had a gigantic flare up and that's when the doctor finally said the "F" word.

I'm not even 45 yet, and my body feels like it's 85. Especially my hands and back.

I'm taking so many meds, I rattle when I walk. Right now, for the acute pain, he's got me taking Tramadol and for the long term, he's got me on Cymbalta.

On one hand I'm ecstatic to know that this is real and I'm not a hypochondriac as I've been called on more than one occasion, but on the other, it's rather cold comfort knowing this is something I'll have to live with for the rest of my life.

I've been told that stress is a major contributor to the fibro flare ups. How do you all deal with it? Any tips?

Also, this "fibro fog" thing that I've been just refering to as "blonde moments"...which have gotten really bad lately, is there anything to do about them?

Thanks!

Mamacita
Mamacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #8  

Mima, the Emmaus Walk is a 72 hour weekend that you spend with God. On Thursday, April 21 I'll go to a church about 25 minutes from here with my suitcase,etc. During the weekend there will lots of prayers, songs, Talks on different subjects, eating (lol), laughing, and crying. We leave on Sunday night. I am on the team as a table leader. I was an assistant table leader in November. I went on my original walk as a "pilgrim" in 2001. You could probably run a search to get more information. Alot of people call it a spiritual retreat, but it is much more than that.

Tina, my family doctor ran all kinds of tests starting last spring and continuing through the summer. All of the tests came back negative. I was finally able to get in to see a rheumatologist. She ran a couple more tests, and they were negative. She did the pressure point test on me at the first visit, and said that it was possible Fibromyalgia. After getting the test results and doing more poking at the pressure points, she said she was positive that is what it was.

Mamacita, I know what you mean about the age. I'll be 50 in May. there are days that I can barely move, but I drag myself out of bed. I need to start listening to my body and just call in for a sub. Finding out that is was Fibro. was such a relief for me. Sounds strange,doesn't it? So many of my symptoms were the same as my mother and a cousin who both had cancer.

Stress is definitely a contributor. Things are in an uproar where I teach. They are cutting 5 teaching positions, but they won't say where. The HS teachers apparently have been told that it won't be in the hs. The elementary has been told nothing. As you can imagine, we are all tense, irritable, and walking on needles waiting to find out what is going on. The pain has been tremendous for me lately, and I've been there 28 years, so I know I won't lose my job. Moving to another grade level is a possiblity though.

Fibro fog. I was so glad to learn about that. So many times I just "leave", and I don't even know it.

Take care and come here for support! These women are awesome!!
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:37 AM   #9  

Good morning!! Welcome new people-glad to have you: sorry you have fibro. You CAN live with it and there are things you can do to feel better. Some pills, walking, swimming, massage, stretching, and laughing. I added that because we went to church yesterday and the Pastor wasn,t there but a psychologist was. We laughed and laughed and wqent back to the evening service and laughed again. We also went out to eat twice with our friends and DQ softserve is not good for me. Well, I am going shopping this morning-going to buy an Easter dress. People really dress up here. That weekend sounds great, Tammy. That sure is another thing that can help stress. Bye for now. Mima
Old 03-14-2005, 10:42 AM   #10  

Default Hey There

Welcome new people and hello everybody-
I hope the weekend was good for you. I walked 4 miles yesterday. I will have to go later or find a new route on the weekends. Traffic is awful.You take your life in your hands on those days.
Memi - I have been seeing the same thing on laughing lately.. I have to find a white dress for SRD in Daytona the end of April. Not easy. There are so many different shades of white. I need white white. It is a challenge.My daughter will be here next weekend . We will go look. I still say I may have to make it..People used to dressup more than they do now.. It was a fashion show every sunday at the Greek church. They would plan to come to church late just to show off. I was not impressed. I haven't been back there in years.
The OA has been giving me a fit.. I will see you all later...Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:41 PM   #11  

Ok ... Fibro Fog ...

First of all, let me assure you that Fibro Fog is REAL! It's not just a figment of someone's imagination or something somebody made up. One of the first things the Neurologist said to me when I was sent to him for my migraines a couple of years ago was, "How do you deal with the Fibro Fog." Well, needless to say, I thought I misunderstood him. I said, "I beg your pardon." He repeated the question and I just sat there and looked at him. I finally said I don't ... I just write everything important down and forget the rest of it! He thought that was funny ... but it's true. And that's the best advise I can give you guys about Fibro Fog ... IF IT'S IMPORTANT ... WRITE IT DOWN! Treat yourself as if you have early stages of Alzheimer's because that's almost what it's like. And, also, tell all the people close to you what it's like for you. Try to make them understand. It's hard for them to understand why the words just won't come out of your mouth sometimes. My best friend just looks at my husband and my other friends sometimes and says ... I knew what she was trying to say ... what's wrong with you guys. She finishes my sentences for me A LOT! I LOVE THAT WOMAN!!! We're going to build a big house and live together when we retire! You need someone like that in your corner ... FIND SOMEONE and confide in them. Make them see where you are and how you feel. And if what you need to remember is important just write it down in a notebook so you can go back and review it and find it later. People's names and numbers. Dates things happened. There are things you won't be able to recall. There's a place I need to go to Saturday and I can't remember how to get there so I'm going to go find it Wed. while I'm out so I don't get lost Sat. morning and embarrass myself. Knowing you have a problem is half the battle won! If you know you're likely to forget then you can double your efforts to remember! I have a date/planner that I carry in my purse with everybody important's phone numbers & BD etc. in it plus all my appointments. I write EVERYTHING in it and look at it often. I make extensive lists. I have a business plus teach piano. I keep a list of prices for our business IN MY POCKET so when people call I can just pull it out. I keep a note book on all my piano students by my chair in the piano room so I have each students information at hand. Because I know I can't rely on my swiss cheese brain. You asked how to deal with it ... well ... you just have to first know you have it and then be prepared. It does no good to sit down and cry ... just deal with it!

As for the pain and the achiness ... there are pills, massage, exercises, rest and all sorts of stuff. You first need to go to a Dr. and be diagnosed. A good Rheumatologist is probably best. Although some older doctors still don't recognize Fibromyalgia as an illness, most do. Beware of a doctor who wants to start you out on too much medicine. Getting doped up is not the answer. Trying one or two meds at first is ok but don't get hooked on stuff like Prozac or Zoloft. That's probably not the way to go. Fibromyalgia is not usually helped by mood altering drugs ... I say 'usually' because there are rare circumstances where something else is involved. What you need to try first is muscle rexlaxants ... something that is going to relieve your tension ... or something for pain.

Until you can see a doctor, try over-the-counter Aleve in small doses. The coated kind won't bother your stomach. At night, you can try a Tylenol PM to help you sleep. Sometimes, just getting a few hours deep sleep at night helps a lot. Then add some GENTLE stretches & relaxation exercises to your daily routine and about 6-8 glasses of water along with a couple of cups of green tea. Cut out some of the sugar you are eating, also. If you don't feel better in a week or so, I'll be very surprised!
Old 03-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #12  

Mamacita tell me more about the cymbalta, my doc is wanting me to try it. says it helps with all over pain in some people. But I do not tolorate meds well and do not want something making me gain weight again!

Been busy with eye doc and upper Gi doc and, got a gallblader ultrasound to get done too. Son will be home Sundays for break..now I got to get to bed!

Last edited by Candicej; 03-16-2005 at 09:34 AM.
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:37 PM   #13  

Good afternoon. Darn phone was out-no computer. Went to docs this am because of wheezing and he gave me singulair. What a guy!! Then I went shopping-bought a yallow suit and a dres and then some beige shoes. Gotta have the shoes. Need a nap-Mima
Old 03-17-2005, 10:01 PM   #14  

Hello Off to the GI doc today.............
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 06:23 AM   #15  

Good morning-got online but phone still not fixed. Had pains in my stomache yesterday-hope it's not from Singulair which worked really well. Boy, did it rain yesterday!!!!Have to go to Wally World today. Trying to get my middle son things for 30 so I am getting a Walmart gift certificate. And a Home Depot one too-it's right across the street from Walmart. Also sent him a Bob shirt-Bob-the man , the myth, the legend. He loved it. What did gstro guy say, Candice" Mima