Old 03-13-2005, 03:07 PM   #1  

Default Filling Foods

Okay guys, when you are absolutely starving and you look at a frozen healthy choice meal and just start laughing, what do you eat to fill up on? Whats something filling that isnt so horribly calorie ridden?
TaraJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #2  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

A bowl of grape nuts
fresh fruit

or
1 poached egg
1 slice of whole grain toast
an apple

or
a big salad w/lettuce, spinach, tomato, cucumber, mushroom (zucchini, carrot, celery, whatever else you like that's low cal veg)
some WASA crackers to go with it

ETA, follow any of these with 8-16 oz skim milk.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:52 PM   #3  

Ditto on the Grape Nuts. Cheerios are good, too. With lowfat milk, of course.

The Healthy Choice meal can be made a lot more filling if you add a great salad alongside it, and maybe a little yogurt & fruit for dessert.

A cup of hot liquid with few or no cals (green tea, coffee with milk, bouillion) automatically makes any meal seem more filling, too.
pegatha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

94% FF popcorn
a smoothie
fresh fruit
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:05 PM   #5  
banned

Location: Connecticut, but next year I plan on going to college in Colorado.....We shall see!!!

I snack on....CABBAGE(with mustard)--I think I might have some now!!!
I also snack on red, yellow and orange bell peppers(with mustard too)
And if you want something a little mushy and different(quick too) I take an eggplant, cut it into rounds put them in the microwave for about four min. and then eat..(after it cools down a little bit)--and I dont put mustard on those, but I do put salt, garlic and oregenoo
Enjoy just like I do!!
Giasbash6260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:45 PM   #6  
missaprylj

A 1/2 cup of 2% cottage cheese
A small handfull of almonds does wonders
A few slices of lunchmeat rolled up
FF yogurt, sometimes with a TBSP or 2 of cereal in it.

Basically "filling" is achieved by a bunch of protein and a pinch of fat in my little world.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/181/130

Height: 5 feet

a whole wheat pita with non fat melted cheese and veggies...
fruit salad or a peach/apple with nonfat plain yogurt(with 1 splenda)
when i get cravings---swiss miss fat free or diet hot cocoa
or sometimes leftover vegetable soup(this fills me up pretty quickly)
what i also like is a capresse sandwich,you need two whole wheat slices of bread or 1 pita,mozzarella cheese(preferibly part skim)and tomato slices and 1 or 2 basil leaves..put in2 oven or toaster till the cheese melts..yummy i think i'll be making one for myself now..
littlechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:46 AM   #8  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

I really like having low-fat yogurt drizzled over fresh fruit. What you say about having a nice salad with a frozen dinner is great. The biggest change I see in Howie's and my meal habits now is, we have several things at mealtime rather than counting on the entree to fill us up. Instead of making a chicken and rice dish and splitting it between us, we have about 1/4 of the chicken and rice each, plus add a salad and veggies. It ends up being so much more satisfying than rice and chicken alone. Lots of tastes and textures seem to do the trick for me.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I love cucumbers and will peel and slice them up with a meal. Also a handful of baby carrots. They take a while to chew and usually that will help to fill up. We have a huge stockpile of canned veggies so if you're not watching your sodium since they tend to have a bit in them, open a can up and enjoy with your meal. I've been using 2-3 cans per meal now for the family of 5 because I will usually have 2-3 servings of veggies with dinner now to help fill me up.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:15 PM   #10  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

My favorite dinner if I don't have a lot of calories left and want to be full is fish. I can have nice size peice of fish with green beans and rice for under 300 calories. Very filling. For snacks I like celery with just a little cream cheese and hot sauce.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:42 PM   #11  

I eat a lot of fish as well, especially tuna and salmon, as they are so tasty and really fill you up. I eat a lot of veggies, they are very filling and light on calories. My evening meal has got to be quite big and satisfying, or I'm reaching for the biscuits and cheese two hours later.

Soup is also a good trick, I often have a bowl of miso soup before dinner. And my dh makes the best Japanese style noodles in miso broth with chicken and vegetables.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:03 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

My current fav meal is chicken breast chopped up really small, asparagus, and broccoli with patak's curry paste (1tbsp) and soymilk sauce (I've been using milk lately to make it bf friendly). Yummy OR! spaghetti squash with a homemade chicken & tomato sauce. Mmmm.. I'm kinda hungry now!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:03 AM   #13  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Oh, I LOVE spaghetti squash! It's so satisfying in flavor and texture. I keep hearing about miso soup...I'm going to have to try that.

Last edited by Gardenwife; 03-15-2005 at 01:41 AM.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:46 AM   #14  

You don't get spaghetti squash here, I used to love it when I lived in Australia, but have never seen it in England. Miso soup is a bit of an acquired taste, and you need to shop around for a brand you like, some of them are like drinking sea water!!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:12 AM   #15  
Losing 1/2 of Myself

S/C/G: 324/195/170

I have to have a mid-morning snack everyday of I'm not very fun to be around! I usually have a FF yougurt and 1 cup of dry frosted mini-wheats. This fills me up until lunch time. I don't usually get to take my lunch until 2 in the afternoon.
Other fill me up's are fruit or 1 cup of baby carrots.
treefrogtoes is offline   Reply With Quote