Old 03-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #1  
Trying or Dying

S/C/G: 327/258/180

Default Battle of the Bulge #14

Good morning everyone!!
Here is the new thread...
As always-
Monday- support day and a good day for tips on staying motivated

Tuesday- support day and a good day for reasons why we want to lose- I think that keeps us motivated more than anything when we reexamine why we want to lose..

Wednesday- "what have I been eating all week day" and I want to start trying to get everyone to share quick recipes or tips on cooking that work for them.

Thursday- "what I have done to move my bootie day" and I want to get everyone to start giving us an idea on how they work exercise into their lives and the things they enjoy doing.

Friday- support and influence day- lets make this a day we talk about anything or anyone that influenced our weight loss for the week- things like friends giving bad foods or a partner that supported our efforts.

Saturday- recap day- lets talk about the things we thought worked for us for the week and those that didn't- this might help us see where we strayed and where we stood firm.

Sunday- weigh in day and reaffirm goal day- give us an idea of your goals for the week, month, and long term.

Have a great day everyone!
Crime girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:58 PM   #2  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Unhappy no replies. . .

New thread but no posts! Not a nice thing to wake up to after my four in a row! Where is everyone?!?!?
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #3  

HI HI HI
I am back at work.. but for how long today we'll see... to those who asked about getting shafted, yes it does mean mistreated. My ankles are very sore from being grabbed while I get "shafted" if you get what I mean. I went to talk to my big manager about my performance review to day and his attitude was why are you bothering me with this stuff.. when I explained that the two supervisors under him were away and when i talked to them last week they said to go to him anyway he still looked unimpressed. he also did NOT ask me how I was and when I mentioned I had been away for a month due to having an operation and being on leave before then he looked at me like "you should have come in the moment you were out of surgery!" etc.. the meeting went so successfully. I am so pleased to work here. THen they tell me they are moving me out to site, but not the one that was promised or that I explained why i wanted..health reasons mean I need a fair amount of sleep.. driving for 4 hrs each day to and from work is not condusive to that, along with the 11 hour day expected at work! the other site is only 1.5 hours of driving a day. grrr grrr grrr.. so welcome back tiff.. sorry to rant. maybe I should show them my scars....on the good side, weight is still in the 72's still can't really lose any more as can't actually walk for longer than about 5 min without being in pain.. BF is offshore now, but so lovely and sweet.. aahhh... umm yeah so as I am lazy and also really busy at work (who's heard of easing into things here? pffft) can someone give me a quick run down on the last month???
Red - how's the horse??
Stormy - how's school/work combo going
LGH - what foods can you eat now???
Cheerio
Tiff
HAL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 06:45 PM   #4  
Never give up

Heh there NBK, good to have you back. Which horse might that be? I'm sitting here trying to get a report out on a winner yesterday, colt who could be good for the triple crown he's looking so good. No, just kidding, of course you mean my lovely little mare, bucking around as usual. I rode yesterday, pushing myself too much so that today I can barely croak. It's pretty embarrassing sounding like a frog. Still not sure if I'll try to go into work. I am determined to get one of my cats to the vet in half an hour. She evaded me yesterday, hiding in the closet until the vet closed. And she's the one in pain and I'm trying to help her. I yelled at her this morning and now she's hiding under the table, so I hope she got the point that she IS going to the vet today for her shot (it's to alleviate the pain from these inflamed gums the two have).

OK, gotta keep working on my story. A friend of mine just completed the Los Angeles Marathon minutes ago. I was tracking her on the Web site. it took over 6 1/2 hours! Her first marathon. What guts!

Ok, later!
Old 03-06-2005, 08:24 PM   #5  

Default weigh in and evaluation day

i confess, I've been very scattered with my discipline. Ugh. Up some this week.

So I really need to get back on track. I've only worked out 2 days this week, and very half hearted then.

I'm so close! so close I can almost touch it. Now is not the time to lose the vision.

You know, I watched the old movie "Lust for Life" about Van Gogh. It was sad, but any movie about art really inspires me. I mean art in the broad sense. I have to affirm to myself that I am an artist-I am a writer. That has merit.

And it takes self- affirmation and a lot of shoving myself to do it. It's HARD TO WRITE! To be honest, I end up kind of putting it off until the evening, and then I can get to into it I stay up until 2 am working.

Not a very disciplined way to practice my discipline of choice. Geez, you know. It takes keeping up with it on so many fronts. And I know I'm whining, because i have it a lot better than a lot of people.

Part of me says, "Sit down. Make a schedule and a plan and stick to it. Get yourself put together, Young Lady!"

and the other part of me says, "How many times have to done that and not stuck to the plan?"

I guess the fact of the matter is, I need a plan whether or not I keep it perfectly. Mom always said, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." Doing my plan at least decreases the willi-nilly factor.

So, here's the plan:
1. WRITE DOWN WHAT I EAT- I'll get the old pen and paper and write it all down. I've had good success with that
2. EAT WHEN I'M HUNGRY-reach for whole foods low fat, but don't reach the starving level. That's bad for me, I lose control.
3. EXERCISE EVERY DAY- I love my Tae-Bo tape, I love my Lateral thigh trainer. This actually helps my writing too.
4. GET REGULAR SLEEP- I'll work out the details on this one, but sleep helps a lot.

These are the backbone of me getting my work done. So. That's the deal for the week. I'll do it.
doinmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:28 PM   #6  

HEy NBK, That's really lame about your getting moved to a site so far away. 4 hours is crazy!

I don't know what the situation in NZ is like, but in america, the employers have obligations to help you if you have a medical reason. I know, I know, half the time they don't anyway. But do you have an HR department? This is a big deal, and you should know what your rights are and what options you have.

Can you get a new job? They sound like to don't appreciate you.

I just got out of a very icky work environment, so I'm very sympathetic. Take care of you.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:59 PM   #7  

Hey well.. ok before when I made my post I was still wound up from the meeting with Big Boss the pain.

Doing my best: I have spoken to my supervisor about it some more and I am ensuring that as soon as our super short staffed problem is solved (yeah right…) that I can move to the site I want to be at. I know that in the mean time I have to go where the business need is greatest. I am sorely tempted to resign at present, but the problem is this: I work for a joint venture company… I was employed by one of the parent companies, and DO very much want to work for them in another country in 2-3 years time and hopefully for the rest of my career or as long as I want to be an employee in this industry. If I quit there is no other company in NZ that I could easily get work with that wouldn’t be in this region… staying here after leaving my current company would just be too icky (small town issues). Well it would be for me any way. Not that I have burnt or would burn bridges in anyway just you know, being hired as a contractor by a company you left I think is a bit weird. Anyway most of the issues I have are with the way this JV is run and operates, not with the parent company who actually offer a really good deal. The only other problem is that I think everyone is just as frustrated about things here as me, and being at the bottom of the heap politically, I get dumped on. The problems I have had with the big boss are similar to what everyone who deals with him has.. as for my supervisor, I know that there is a lot two VERY VERY different people can do to meet in the middle, but at the end of the day there are still aspects that you can’t understand about other peoples learning/work styles. So for now, I will cultivate a stomach ulcer and bite my lip so much it looks like I have had collagen implants! He he…

As for the responsiblilty for health issues. That is here in NZ. The problem is that mine are caused by a genetic disorder that on it’s foundation web page (American on anyway) claims that people with my type of if suffer no effects (YEAH RIGHT). My doctor would probably write me a certificate or something, but then I would have so much company politics to deal with and I know they would use it against me in the future if I want to do something different that it’s easiest to put up for now. I’ll just make sure I get my 3 day weekends or else be a real pain and put in for overtime for every single minute I work over 40 hours a week. Ha ha ha ha. And at the end of the day at least I’ll get to see a couple of my projects through into the operation stage, not just commissioning. I am still majorly pissed tho. Just putting it down in the same dark place that all my other beefs live. Thanks for your concern!

Red..at least you can go riding – I’m out for at least 6 months. I knew something would happen once I finally found a horse to ride! grr it’s still 4 weeks until I can do ANY weights in the gym… I’m losing my tone… thank god for muscle memory is all I can say! Lol… pleased to hear you mare is still making life fun.

CG- don’t forget, you’re my hero! I am amazed at how much you always get done in a week. Keep on keeping on, it’s the most you can do!

Have a great morning/ night/ day all. See you tomorrow!
Old 03-07-2005, 04:03 AM   #8  
Never give up

Heh speaking of our hero, where are you Crime Girl!!!!
Old 03-07-2005, 05:37 AM   #9  
Never give up

Cool

Ok, quickie here. I don't feel all that bad until I try to talk and nothing comes out! I did get into work but got there late and left early. The place always makes me feel ill but I did feel like I was running between a fever and chills.

doinmybest -- don't worry about being scattered. Happens to the best of us! Two days is better than none, and better than I did! Don't knock it.

You may feel close but remember this is a constant thing, a way of life. The vision yes, but I'd be careful of feeling "close." I think that can lead to an all or nothing attitude and you don't need that. whoops, soapbox time!

I hear you on the artist stuff. Yes, if you are an artist then you need to have other artists around you, or movies or books about or by them. Not always but at times, as a touchstone. Kind of like the ugly duckling having to go play with the swans sometimes. Not saying that artists are all beautiful swans and the rest of the people ugly! Just, you know what I mean.. .

Yes, doin, writing is hard, and if it's any solace to you, the vast majority of writers find it difficult. So, don't think if you're not happily typing away or rushing to sit down and scribble that you are somehow less of a writer. Writing is about what you submit, what goes on the page in the final form (if you're talking professional writer). If you sweat blood to get it there, well, no one but you needs (or wants) to hear it (except perhaps aspiring writers.) So, don't worry. Just write, scribble, garbage, anything, but do it, over and over again. That's my advice.

I think a plan can be good, just as far as sitting down and writing. What comes out may be drivel but the discipline of sitting down can give rise to some good stuff too. But, whoops, you suddenly switched from writing to eating, maybe you weren't looking for advice anyhow. Oh well, you got it.

NBK -- wow, mega words. You're back. Great to see long rambling posts again. I love 'em. Just what till shanberg gets in here and the two of you get going. Sure wish grasshopper would hop in for a bit. Haven't heard anything from her in ages. We had a real hopping place here too. Well, guess it's up to us, crime girl, stormy and anyone else I've forgotten to hold the fort.

OK, now, I may be dense but just what happened to you NBK? I know you have the blood problem but I'm still unclear on the stitches and whereabouts they came from. This isn't related to the lip-biting, is it? Collagen implants?! My God! What are you doing to yourself there?

OK, no riding, and you found a horse? What's this? Remember, you've been mighty scarce around here, so I don't think it was us'uns youz was talkin to. Oh, god, no gym either? Your poor thing, really, seriously. Is there anything you can do? Can you swim perhaps or ride a bike or jog. Give me the messy details. We want to know!

Ok, I'm turning in. Don't know if I can make it riding tomorrow. I'm finally getting something on the canter. Learning how to maintain the contact, or rather, not allow her to yank the reins away at the trot/canter transition, while pushing from behind, then quickly go with her when she does go, still maintaining an elastic contact so as not to hold her back. It makes for a much better canter then from the start instead of going into a bad one and then thinking she's going to get better from there. Do you know what I'm saying?
Ok, sorry, nonhorsey types. . .

Ciao tutti!

Last edited by redballoon; 03-07-2005 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:36 AM   #10  
shannon

Morning, all.

How is everyone? I am still fighting this stupid congestion! At least my sore throat is gone!! Nothing major to report as a result of being sick, sick, sick!!!

Red - You are such a dreamer!! I would have to say that your dream was your subconcious telling you that you are a fighter. Even though you may not always have the upper hand and are not always in total control, you are going to give it everything you have and come out fighting. I think maybe you were needing a little push to keep yourself motivated and moving forward, so that is what you dreamed....then again, you could be a complete nutcase and in need of psychological counseling!!

Sorry you are still sick. I can definately relate to that!!! I think we both got the stubborn strain of whatever it is we have! Mine seems to enjoy being in my body and doesn't want to get out!!

doinmybest - I think you have the classic writers syndrome! Takes a while to get started and then, when you do, you go nonstop and before you know it its two days later and you wake up the asdfjkl; rubbed into your forehead!! Since I'm not a writer (just a talker ) I don't have any advice except to keep pounding away at the keyboard. You might could try to tape your list in several places to help you remember everything!

NBK - Sometimes jobs suck! Hate it that you are having such a rough time! Like you said, I guess you will just have to ride it out until you get what you want, huh? Just don't let them forget what they told ya! Keep asking and reminding them. Who knows, after a while, they might just move ya to shut you up!! Whatever works, right!!

Hope everyone else is doing alright.

Guess I ranted enough (right, Red??? )

Talk to ya'll later!!!

Tootles
shanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:58 PM   #11  

Hey everybody! Good morning from the west.

I was very very good yesterday. Had my date with Billy blanks, wrote down everything I ate and didn't go overboard at all.

Yay! And I will do the same today.

Thanks Red, Thanks, Shan, for your encouragement. I'm very happy to be writing, and the book is really coming along. I've got 60K words now....All of them will have to be edited and re-written about 10 times each but you have to have the playdoh to play with first.

On to another day of triumph! I WILL lose this week. I will.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #12  

Red - ok... sorry sometimes I forget that other people can't read my thoughts. This often gets me into trouble with thinking I have told people things that I haven't!

so here's the quick catch up:
on the 21/2 I went back to work after a fantastic holiday on the goldcoast and then in my home town (christchurch = chch) with the boyfriend. In aussie we shopped, sunned and just had a brilliant time. It was really nice to have just the two of us and not have to worry about anything. Then we got back to CHCH just in time for the velvet revolver concert. We couldn't get the hotel we wanted as CHCH was booked out due to the Rod Stewart, VR and Cher concerts all being in the same week, So we stayed at the Crowne Plaza, one of the top hotels in town... well wouldn't you know it, that's where the BAND were staying.. They arrived as I was saying good bye to my dad who had come for a coffee in the lobby.. I called out to scott and he came over and said hello to dad and me.. I must have come across as such an idiot as I was smiling so wide I think my ears were split.. he he.. anyway then BF and I were coming down to leave for the concert and there is Slash and his Mrs in the bar! So we talked to him too! It was soo cool. The concert was awesome too. They played some wicked STP songs, like crackerman and some GnR aswell as all the songs off the VR album save loving the alien.. but it's not really the sort of song you'd play at a concert. It was loud but SOOO much fun. Anyway got back to New Plymouth (home) and slept ALOT and caught up with friends.
So on monday the 21st I went to work. I wasn't feeling to crash hot, but figured it was just post holiday blues.. anyway BF and I went out for lunch to a sandwhich bar here...all afternoon I was feeling nauseous and wanting to puke, but I can't throw up in public spaces.. i have good control of my stomach when i need it. Anyway I went home and proceeded to have a marathon of puking... in the end i got sick of trying to be sick and went to the hospital for anti-nausea drugs. BIG MISTAKE.. next thing I know there's a drip in my arm, I have doctors, nurses and randoms prodding my very tender stomach and they're keeping me in for observation. They suspected appendicitis. I knew it wasn't but I also wasn't feeling any better... anyway in the morning the specialist came in and effectively punched me in the guts then asked if it hurt,... well duh!! So I ended up having Laproscopic surgery with an appendectomy just to find out what the **** happened. I learnt that I HATE BEING IN HOSPITAL! And also that my BF is incredible. Hospitals make him physically sick.. but he stayed with me almost the whole time, apart from going home to get things for me or to have a shower or eat. They let him sleep in my room and then moved me into the lounge at night so he could sleep next to me when i was in a general ward too. He's amazing. Anyway so..I didn't have appencitis, just a really nasty virus that i am still dealing too. BUt yay for operations. NOT. At least now if I ever end up working in africa, I don't have to worry about being butchered in an emergency appendectomy. So the last two weeks I have been learning to sit and then walk upright.. seriously for about 4 days all I could do was a really pathetic hunched over old lady shuffle... and it will be 3 weeks before I can do anything remotely exciting, 6 before I can do weights and probably 6 months before I can ride, as I use my core muscles (which have been cut through and need to heal) so much on a horse.

hmmm so yeah. I have scars on my stomach which I am not stoked about, as one thing I did like about my body was that I have very smooth nice skin. Not now.. I do have some stretch marks on my back, but I can't see them.. and they're more the line you can see rather than the type you can feel. I know it sounds pathetic, but I was really looking forward to being able to wear crop tops when I got toned in that area and now... pfft.. yeah only if I want to scare big children as well as small! lol...

Anyway I am alive and well. so that's good. SOrry for boring the pants off you all
Cheers
Tiff
Old 03-07-2005, 03:46 PM   #13  
Never give up

Good morning people. Let's see trying my voice out a little here. Yes, it's definitely better. I don't feel so hot though. Wondering if I should go riding. I have so much other things that are not getting done but today is supposed to be a springlike day and I would like to be out with the horse. Always a tough call. . . .

shanberg -- sorry to hear you're still sick. But it sounds like you're on the mend. Hope you get better real soon! Thanks for stopping in to post despite being sick. I take it you were able to go to work. AND you read back over the old posts from the last thread. What a sweetie. I am told everyone dreams but they just don't remember it. I dream so much. I could go on and on about all my dreams. I even dream in the trains when I'm nodding off there! I am a shallow sleeper, can wake up in an instant and do wake up often during the night. That's when REMs are supposed to be, when your sleep is shallow so I guess that's why. Actually, though the being burglarized part was very yucky and the overall feel of that dream was not nice I think the wrestling the guy down part may have been because that night when we were out drinking it was a coworkers birthday and we were pretending we were going to wrestle him down and give him birthday spanks! But that was all in fun and the dream wasn't so I like your analysis better. Complete nutcase. . . hmm. possible . . I think I do walk a fine line. .. And shan, actually, you didn't rant at all. I'm expecting more from you later!

doinmybest -- good going on getting your writing down (I take it that's who Billy blanks is) writing down your food and not going overboard. Wish I could say the same. Then again, I don't think the quantity is stupendous with me because I'm off sugar, but I am not eating healthily. Keep on keeping on, doin! Best of luck!

NBK -- thanks for that lengthy explanation of what happened to you. How awful. And you don't even know if the appendectomy was necessary. Probably wasn't but the doctors won't tell you that afterward. Still, like you said, it will alleviate that worry if you're off in the boonies somewhere. I had similar happen whlie I was in Munich and I think they did butcher me. I've seen people with tiny scars and I was slashed across the belly like a harakiri ritual suicide. And they didn't explain anything and wouldn't answer my questions. German doctors are horrible, much like Japanese. Are ABOVE answering questions from the lowly patient. Anyhow, I think I did tear my insides because I was running a bar at the time and soon after the operation I was lifting heavy beer crates. I was back on my feet very quickly though. Anyhow, don't worry about the scar. It'll fade a lot and scars are cool to show off! Go for the crop tops. Like I said, it will get a lot better looking. You're making me jealous with talk of your sweet boyfriend, well, not jealous, but I sure wish there was someone around in my life like that. Well, gotta run. Thanks again for that long explanation!
Old 03-07-2005, 09:19 PM   #14  
stormy1

Hi everyone! Just got back from a long weeekend at school.

NBK, cool trip report. So were you like "Hey Scott!" and he just came up to you? You must have died!!! I am glad to hear that you are back at work even though you did not have the best day. It sounds like you are feeling better.

Red, Hi! How are you? How is the challenge coming? I am sorry that you are not feeling well. I hope that you feel better soon!

Shan-I am sorry that you are still feeling bad. Are you able to do anything being sick? This time of year it seems like everyone gets sick. I hope that you start feeling better real soon.

Doin- Glad that you wrote down your goals. You will succed by writing down those goals. I think that everyone should write down their goals for everything in life and place it somewhere they can see everyday. It helps to hold you accountable. I have mini goals and long term goals for everything that I want to accomplish in my life. Tell me about the lateral thigh trainer. How is the resistance? Is is something you bought on tv?

Well, I weighed this AM. I am down to 156!!! So I guess I am doing okay. So I am 14 pounds away from my pretend goal. My real goal is 135 but that just seems too far away so I am saying 142. Today, my Tae Bo cardio boot camp came in so I plan on trying it tonight. In the mean time I need to hit the books. I have oral exams next weekend college.
stormy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:43 AM   #15  

Ooh! Stormy! Tell me how you like the boot camp videos...I've been eyeing them.

Today was good. I wrote down ALL my goals. And I accomplished all of them. Yay! And it's not even 10.

I did the WHOLE tape of Tae Bo (That was my date with Billy Blanks, red...He's the Tae Bo guy).

I wrote about 500 words, which is a little light. But I wrote! I did it all!

Shan- that's a crazy adventure. And to come back to crappy work nonsense. Man you never know what will happen in life.
For the scar, it will fade. They always look nasty when they are fresh. But it's nothing really...When I was a teenager, I had the WORST nasty purple stretch marks. They were SO embarrasing. I am so white I am transparent...The purple showed up really bad. But they faded and are no big deal. Give it time, your tummy will be fabulous before you know it.

Shan- poor thing. Health to you, and drink some tea...

We can do it, guys!