Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 10:26 PM   #1  
Thursday Lady

Default Thursday Chatters for March

Welcome March!!!
We are so happy to have so many new members. This is such a great place to come. You will make friendships that will last for years. You'll get encouragement and laughs, sometimes at the same time.

I am anxious to weigh on Thursday. I just feel it in my bones that I'll have a loss.
How is everyone doing?
Mimi has an Easter goal set. Maybe we should all do that.

Everyone feel free to hurry and post.
Tina
Old 03-01-2005, 07:58 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

Hi!
I'm still new here...but I wanted to let you all know a little about me. I am a heavy equipment operator from NY(I operate bulldozers, etc.). I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's dieases(hypothyroid) 8 months ago. I have always been overweight for as long as I can remember. I quit smoking 6 months ago...and between that and the hypothyroid....If I even LOOK at food sideways...I gain. I have tried EVERY diet out there. Sure, the weight came off...but then right back on again! I need my body for work. I do a lot of climbing and bouncing around...and my physical strength is important. I just turned 35 years old the day after Valentines day. I don't want to live like this anymore. I look at it like this. By the time I am 36...I am either gonna be fat(like now)...or fatter unless I do something.
Soooo.....I started attending WW on Feb 8, 2005. Since I am off of work during the winters(due to weather)..I started going to the local YWCA. I feel great working out. Sure it was awful at first....but after a few times..it gets easier and easier. I go 4-5 times a week and do 40 minutes on the stairmaster a day. I have only been loosing an average of 1.5 pounds a week. It was a little discouraging at first...as I wanted to lose more. However, it surely beats gaining. From what I understand from reading many posts here...that is not really too bad(1.5 lbs. per week) for a weekly weigh in.
Now what scares me is going back to work in a month or so. I am up at 3:00am and out the door by 4:30am. I sometimes don't make it home till 6-7pm, and I am BEAT UP by then. I recently bought a commercial Stairmaster stairclimber and Life Fitness
stationary bike from a local gym(I already had a treadmill). I am planning on getting up between 2-2:30 am to get my workouts in. I need a plan to make this work. I feel like my commited workourt schedual is what is keeping my crappy metobolism moving.
Anyway...that is my story in a nutshell. As you all can tell...I'm gonna need all the support I can get. I have been at the bottom of the hole...so I can relate. I have learned to be patient with my weight loss...and understand that what I am trying to do is a lifestyle change...and not so much a diet. A diet is something you can stop at some point...a lifestyle change is something you keep forever. WW is probably the LEAST restrictive diet out there...I have tried them all. It is doable. We can walk this journey together....as we all have the same goal in mind. Anyway...Nice meeting you all!
~Tina637
Old 03-01-2005, 05:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 247/229.4/147

Height: 5'2"

Hey!
I'm really new, I just started actually posting today. My name is Casey and I live pretty much way out in the sticks, so no gyms, no tracks, you get what I'm saying if you want to work out you just have to do it when, where and with whatever you got. And I'm not a big exerciser anyway, but I love being from the country and wouldn't trade it for anything.
I've been kinda big like forever but I carry my weight pretty good, at 227 lbs. and 5'1" I only wore a size 20. I've worked in banks pretty much all my life so I sit around all day and well we do a lot of snacking. I was working two jobs for a while and lost like 15lbs. without even trying but now I'm back to banking and I'm afraid my weight is going to go back up again. That's why I decided to start WW again.
I set an Easter goal, plus I gave up cokes for Lent, and I'm going to try to start exercising (yuk!) and get back on the right track.
Good Luck to everybody!
Old 03-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #4  

Hello! Today was my weigh-in day and I lost 2 pounds! I am usually a slow loser so I am pleased with a 2 pound loss. For the month of March I want to lose 8.5 pounds. That will give me my first 10%, in addition to putting me back in "onderland". This seems like a great place to come for support. Hope everyone else has a great day.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:02 PM   #5  
Susan

A big welcome to all of the new folks. We are a fun and very caring group. Yes you will make friends that will last a life time!! They will stick with you through thick and thin (literally)

Tina, thanks for starting us off. Aren't you impressed I know? That's because of you!

I've had a rough day with my food ( let me rephrase that I rough evening) I attended a reception for a friend and I saw someone that said "Hi Susan, how's the baby?" Boy it was like I was kicked in the stomach!!! I thought I was going to throw up. I had to explain briefly what happened and he had passed away. Needless to say, I lost control when I got home. Hope tomorrow will be a better day.

Susan

Last edited by auntie; 03-01-2005 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:40 PM   #6  

Susan, I'm so sorry! I can understand how you felt sick and lost control at home. I'm giving you a big hug right now, can you feel it???? Take care.

Hey Tina 367, how's the snow? Did you get quite a bit where you live in New York? I'm in Ohio, and luckily we didn't have loads like we did at Christmas. We had enough today to cancel school though. The roads were pretty slick, and I teach in a rural district, so the buses have lots of back roads to get around. Good for you for making it to the Y so often! 1.5 pounds a week is great!!! Trust me!!

Casey, welcome to the crew! I feel like I'm out in the sticks sometimes, but it sounds like you really are! I had my goal set for 5 pounds. Decided that was going to be by Easter. I don't think I'll make it since I gained a few pounds. Good for you on deciding to exercise! I rode the Healthrider and the exercise bike today. I didn't think that I did it for very long, but apparently I was wrong. I could hardly walk up the basement steps. Not a good sign, is it?

Taras, way to go!!!! You are doing great!!
Old 03-01-2005, 11:28 PM   #7  
Thursday Lady

Hi,
March is underway and I'm actually drinking my water. That's a hard thing to do.
Christine has inspired me. I got 6 glasses down today. Yea for me.
Susan, my heart just aches for you. I'm sure the person who asked you the question wanted to hide under a table after hearing your answer. You are doing so good and then something like this happens. I'm so sorry.
Tammy, how much snow are y'all getting?
Shadow, how are you doing?
Sis, I hope your daughter is all back to normal now.
Rosalita, what's happening with you?
Tina 637, I don't think I could operate a bulldozer.
Maureen, where are you friend???????

Everyone, have a great Wednesday---drink that water---exercise--journal.
Tina
Old 03-02-2005, 09:04 AM   #8  

Hi everyone!
Thanks for the warm welcome! Casey.....Nice to meet you, this will be a great place for us all to stay focused and strong. Susan...I am sorry that had to happen to you yesterday. Must have been awful! I also agree with Tina...that person did want to hide under a table, I would. Tammy..Nice to meet you as well! We got about 12 inches. I am amazed how the state of NY gets the roads cleared so quick around here. I spent most of my life in NM and TX...so this was a huge change. When it snowed in NM or TX...the entire place was shut down...CRAZY! Here..give 'em a couple hours and you can go whever you want. Truely amazing! I have a 12 year old son that got the day off school yesterday and drove me crazy all day! Was thrilled he had school today.
Well...I just wanted to let you all know...I made this Cherry Cobbler last night...and it was pretty good!...a nice treat!
__________________________________________________ _________________
Fruit Cobbler

30 oz of fruit (maybe canned or frozen if you wish)
1 box cake mix (yellow)
2 cans diet Sprite

Put the fruit in the bottom of a 13x9 pan. Crumble the cake mix over it, then pour on the 2 cans Diet Sprite.
Bake at 350, 20 minutes covered with tin foil, then 40 more minutes uncovered.

It's pretty good, and the pan makes 12 servings at 3 points per serving.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

I had 1/12 and it was real tasty. I tried with the lite cherry pie filling..and it tasted NASTY...so I had to re-do it with canned cherries. Much better. I got the recipe from the site here somewhere and HAD to give it a try. Cherry Cobbler is one of my weakness'...so this was a nice treat. My BIGGEST lesson with my new lifestyle is PORTION CONTROL. I finally realized...I eat TOO much..(duhhhh)! I weigh and measure everything. I was shocked to realize just how little 2tbls. of salad dressing was. I must have been using 1/4 C all these years thinking I was eating healthy. The other kicker was 3oz of chicken breast...WOW! Very few boneless/skinless chicken breasts are actually 3oz. This has been the key to me losing....portion control. I also HATE WATER!!!! This is the other thing that is hard for me to do. I am trying...
Well...as you all can tell, I am a bit chatty..lol! I need to get to the gym before I lose my motivation.
Talk to you all this afternoon!!!!!!!

Last edited by Tina637; 03-02-2005 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #9  
Susan

Hi,
I had another strange thing happen today. I had a student that was asking me a bunch of questions. She told me about her family. She said "I have a baby brother, but he died. My mommy has a picture with my sister and my baby brother. My mommy was really sad" Then she wanted to know if I had children. So I told her that I had one baby boy but he had died. I wasn't sure what to say. I didn't want to lie to her but you could see that she was concerned. She then went on about her reading. Maybe this is God's plan to help me heal.

Tina637, I am SOOOO impressed you being a bulldozer driver. I have always wanted to me on a wrecking ball crew. My husband always laughs. Where did you live in TX? Tina and I are both from TX. I'm just north of Dallas.

Tammy, how is life treating you? How's the hand?

Tina, what's the weather like there? It's been rainy and cloudy here. I'm ready for spring!!!!

My food was better. I'm thinking I might try the CORE plan. I really think I need to cut out some carbs. What do you think?

Susan
Old 03-02-2005, 08:22 PM   #10  

Holy cow...tomorrow is Thursday...weigh-in day...lmao! Duhhh...It just dawned on me...been a busy week! I take it everyone here weighs in on Thursday, so good luck to all. I am a daily(or everyother day) scale hopper...so I know I've lost some. I need to quit that nasty habit...and maybe someday soon here I will. Our WW meeting scales are friendly(less than my scale at home)....so this week will be OK! I weigh EARLY in the morning..so good luck to all!
Tina
Old 03-02-2005, 08:26 PM   #11  
Thursday Lady

Evening,
Tina 637, thanks for shairng your cobbler recipe. Right now, I'm so hungry, I could eat almost anything. I'll remember not to use the lite cherry sauce.
Susan, personally, I don't think that cutting out carbs will help you lose. I've probably just ruffled a lot of feathers. Cutting carbs is a big thing right now.
Eating the correct portions and exercising will take us where we want to go. It is much easier said than done......boy, do I know that! But, if we just try really hard, we can get where we want to go.
That's my sermon for the night.

It's been a good food day for me. I just counted up my poinits and I still have 5 more points. I don't think I'll use them. If I could, I'd grab me a big piece of cake and a Diet Coke---what a combination. But, I'm going to be good. Tomorrow is weigh-in and I want a loss.
Tina

Old 03-02-2005, 08:30 PM   #12  
Thursday Lady

Susan, I just looked at your number of posts. What happened that you started over?
Old 03-02-2005, 08:35 PM   #13  

Hi Susan....
I lived in NM...3 mile from the Tx border(western TX), Hobbs, NM. In fact I had my son in Seminole, Tx. We lived in Amarillo, Tx and Austin, Tx(when the new airport runway was being built). I LOVE TX and if the $$ wasn't so good here in construction..I'd go back! Nicest people in the land!
Anyway...I actually run all kinds of equipment. My hubby works as a mechanic for Caterpillar...so I just kinda learned and was pretty good at it. It is fun...only cold/hot and dirty. No one bothers ya' and you can always see what you have done by the end of the day. Guys are nice to work with believe it or not. After they get used to the fact that a chick is workin' with them...they treat you like they would treat a sister. I just always have to be careful not to loose my "girlie" side. I always do my hair up and wear make-up to remind myself that I AM NOT A GUY! Sounds strange...but when you work next to 100 men...your mouth starts to sound like a truck driver and forget to close your legs in the "ladie" like fasion...lmao! You get my point..easy to get caught up in...
I take it you are a teacher, Susan? I assumed by your post you were...I may be wrong. I admire your bravery and strength.
Take care all...
TIna
Old 03-02-2005, 08:50 PM   #14  
Susan

Hi,

Tina637, I know exactly where Hobbs is! We've driven through it to get to Carlsbad. I was born in Austin and grew up in San Antonio. I think it's so cool what you do. Now I'm jealous! My brother is a contractor and my dad is an electrical engineer. I grew up with knowing about construction and building stuff. I remember when it was horrible to be in any kind of construction business. Oh to answer your question, yes I am a teacher. I took a few years off to have Seamus and be with until he started school but since things have changed, I've just started subbing in the pass 3 weeks.

Tina, my posts didn't start back over not that I can tell. I agree with you on not cutting out all carbs. I just think I need to balance them with other foods. I could like on just carbs. (and not all of the good ones You can preach to me anytime you want

Susan
Old 03-02-2005, 09:46 PM   #15  

Wow! Welcome to all the new members. Nice to meet you.
Dan my got the job and he starts Friday night. He has always wanted to drive the big equipment too, I wonder if washing dishes is a start.
I am so tired of winter.........................................wil l it ever stop?
Susan, I am sure the lady with foot in mouth felt awful too, I know I have done it at times it feels so bad.
Tina 637, that recipe sounds good I wonder if it would work with frozen raspberries?
Tina, I never did try that key lime pie, reason, no low fat pie crusts, ffsf lime jello, or lime yogourt. I looked if half a dozen stores and no luck. I will have to pick them up the next time I visit the states.
Tammy, take it easy you are still healing, and what is a healthrider?
Welcome Casey, I find the more I work sometimes the harder it is I am so tired I just want to grab something and eat.
Tarus, Where in Canada are you, and welcome.
Closed Thread