Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:22 AM   #1  

Exclamation Recipe of the Day: Egg and Potato Casserole

Egg and Potato Casserole

Description:
"You can make this broccoli-cheese casserole up to 24 hours in advance
to save time spent in the morning cooking breakfast."

NOTES : You will have to count points for the flour.

Serving Size : 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
nonstick cooking spray
1 1/3 cups loose-pack frozen diced hash brown
potatoes with onion and peppers
2/3 cup loose-pack frozen cut broccoli or frozen
cut asparagus
1/4 cup Canadian bacon -- finely chopped
1/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
4 teaspoons flour
1 1/3 cups eggs or egg beaters
1/3 cup fat-free shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried basil -- crushed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt

Lightly coat four 10 ounce casseroles with cooking spray. Arrange hash brown potatoes and broccoli in bottoms of casseroles; top with Canadian bacon. In a small bowl gradually stir milk into flour. Stir in eggs, half of the cheese, the basil, pepper and salt. Pour egg mixture over vegetables.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 min or till a knife inserted near the centers comes out clean. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 min before serving.

I'm planning on making this in one dish instead of 4. Maybe it won't set right then, but I don't have 4 10 oz. dishes, so, so be it!!

Angela
Old 03-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #2  

Did I miss it somewhere? Are the WW points listed for this recipe? It sounds wonderful.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:05 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Probably not -- it's a Core food so if you're doing the Core program, you don't have to count the points.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #4  

I don't have the points listed, as it's not a WW recipe. You could put it into recipe builder if you have e-tools.

Here's the nutritional information my recipe program lists for the recipe, although I'm not really sure how accurate it is - I had to put in plain frozen hash browns, because it didn't have the onion and peppers kind. And this is calculated with using regular eggs, not egg beaters.

Per Serving : 244 Calories; 10g Fat (35.8% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 354mg Cholesterol; 485mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat.
Nutrition Warnings:
Canadian bacon: MasterCook uses fluid weight to scale this item. Nutritional calculation will be off to the degree that it differs in density from water.

So according to this, it would be roughly 5 points per serving. Gee, long story for a short answer, huh??

Angela
Old 03-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Angela how big a dish are you using?
Old 03-01-2005, 04:08 PM   #6  

Well, for my family, I'll serve the broccoli on the side, so I'm planning on using a 9" square baking pan. I'm thinking it'll be big enough, and will allow the eggs to cook through.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Angela
Old 03-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #7  

So I made this last night. I baked it in my square glass baking dish, and ended up having to add about 5 minutes to the time so the eggs in the center would set. I made it without the broccoli, and it was really good. We ate it with ketchup (we're such an uncultured family) , although it would be fine plain. I think it was a tad bland, but maybe I just can't taste anything because of my massive head cold.

If anyone makes it with broccoli, let me know how it turns out.

Angela
Closed Thread