Old 03-01-2005, 01:33 PM   #1  
Jennifer

Default Cool Things I've Noticed Since Losing Weight

While I know we frequently post non-scale victory threads, I wanted to do a whole post on cool things that I’ve noticed since I've lost some weight. I know when I first started out, I felt like my body would never, ever change, but every day I’m enjoying new things about my “new” body (even though I have halfway to go!). I know I am always inspired by reading about others' positive experiences from losing weight and thought I’d contribute some of my own. Please feel free to post ones you’ve noticed; I’m sure we could make quite an exhaustive list!

I can comfortably cross my legs when I sit.

I can walk forever when my legs used to ache after just a few blocks. I just remembered the other night that when I was young and thin, I was a fast walker. Now I’m a fast walker again -- My husband has trouble keeping up with ME.

People look at me differently. I look at them differently. I’m struggling with this one a little bit, because I don’t know if people really discriminated before or if I unknowingly cut myself off from other people because I had no confidence.

Men look at me a lot more. Not used to this yet, either…

I can fit in smaller booths and tables (I still subconsciously stress about this and give myself a wider berth than I need, but I’m frequently pleasantly surprised!)

Non plus-size clothes are a million times more stylish (and CHEAPER!). I’m still in plus sizes on the bottom, but *what* a party I will throw the day I no longer have to wade through the seas of shapeless tunic tops and polyester grandma fabrics!

Sex is SO MUCH better. I’ll guess I’ll just leave this one at that!

I take up less space on the bus/train or at the movies and don't sit there wishing I could contract into a tiny little ball (yes, I used to feel this way all the time).

My skin has cleared up and several people have told me I “glow.”

My period is regular now (hence being back on the BC pill – whatever it is in the water around here, I’m NOT ready for it just yet!)

My clothes don’t fall off the hanger so much.

I wear out shoes more slowly.

I almost never get out of breath in regular daily life. I used to huff and puff, even around the house.

I could go on and on, but I’m gonna stop myself here. I hope nobody minds my sharing this... please add in your own!!!!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:56 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Wow! There's a bunch of things on this list that I would never even think about. I would have never guessed about the clothes falling off the hanger. I hat ethat and I never correlated it to weight.

The Cute Boyfriend once commented on how many outfits our size 0 neighbor can fit in her washing machine. I hadn't thought about it until then but you can fit more in when your clothes are smaller.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #3  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I love being able to fit into movie theater seats now. My bigest one that I love seeing and it's strange how this has stuck with me. When riding around with my brother as a teenager I would notice when he was starting the car he could place his bottle of pop between his legs to have his hands free. Allthough most people have cup holders now it feels good to see the seat of my car. Plus when I got the car I have now the seat belt almost did not fit. No problem now.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:33 PM   #4  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I don't dread the thought of taking the stairs.

I definitely can walk much more than I used to, and don't think that much about distance anymore (or looking for a bench!).

I just got rid of a bag of clothes, half of which were too big for me now. It feels great to have clothes that are TOO BIG

My appetite has changed, I get full much faster and don't have the same blood sugar swings. I don't get really hungry very often either, since I have lots of small meals and snacks during the day.

I still have a long way to go, but I feel more hopeful in spirit for what's coming in my future.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #5  

Great thread Jen!

Cool things I've noticed...

I'm not worn out just from taking a shower anymore.
I can comfortably cross my legs, and do so all the time now.
I sleep 100% better.
My chronic migraines have decreased dramatically.
I am still surprised at the spaces I can slip into now.
I too, am a fast walker now; my husband constantly has to ask me to slow down.
My tastes in food have changed and I truly, truly enjoy all the foods I eat now. (Who’d have thought eating healthy could taste so good?!!)
I very rarely have really bad cravings (for junk food) anymore.
I can't remember the last time I had heartburn, which used to be a daily problem.
I am still amazed at the amount of stamina I have now.
I don’t feel so out of place in new situations anymore.
I take more risks and speak my mind more often now.
I’ve started to notice a sense of peace that I’ve never really felt before. Of course this isn’t entirely weight related, but more of an overall benefit of finally starting to get my life in order.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:30 PM   #6  

Some of the above apply to me

and

At the pool, i can do laps in the fast lane

Downhill skiing without killing anyone or have an intimate encounter with a tree. I have a much better control.

Today i shoveled 10 inches of snow off the driveway and didn't had to catch my breath afterwards.

I can do Push ups and sit ups - Excrutiating pain but i can do it.

I'm now sitting in a chair that may have broke on me a few months ago..

Oh and may i add, Jen, if i was living in NYC, you'd sure make my head turn if we were walking the same sidewalk
frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:01 AM   #7  
Jennifer

Thanks, Frenchie - you made me blush (which isn't all that hard to do, I'm afraid!)
Old 03-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

"I can't remember the last time I had heartburn, which used to be a daily problem." I can so relate to this one Beverly.

While I have a ways to go,I can remember not so long ago being out of breath going up one single flights of stairs,and now I can run up with no problems.

I can get into a few pilates and yoga positions that I couldn't before.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #9  

One very important thing i forgot to mention: My BP values, that were permently out of specs. A few months ago, systolic pressure was constantly around 150-160.

Now its around 125-145. Not totally out of danger, but improving
frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:07 PM   #10  
2006 - Panda Remix

I've only lost 12lb so far but am already noticing a few benefits.........

I can style my hair better because I can now hold the hairdryer way above my head, whereas before I didn't have the strength in my arms to do this.

I agree with Beverley about the heartburn - obviously this is more due to the change in diet on my part, rather than weight loss.

I have so much more freedom - I regularly walk for 50 minutes a day now, whereas before I pretty much relied on taxi's. It is so freeing to know that I can walk to the shops, or church or pool without feeling that I'll get really out of breath. My house is midway up a slight hill so I used to avoid going out unless I got a taxi - now I have no problem going up the hill so I go out alot more.

I also used to get puffed out after a shower - but no more!

Exercising is making a real difference to my depression - I've been exercising 6 days a week for the past month and it has helped my mood no end. I really notice my mood dip when I can't exercise.

I'm looking forward to seeing alot more positive changes as the weight drops off!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:41 PM   #11  
Jennifer

Amanda - so glad you mentioned the depression thing. I can't believe I left it my list, because it's probably the biggest thing of all! Exercise has most definitely helped with my depression as well. I used to struggle with this so much, but exercise helps me deal with stress better, and like you, I notice a HUGE difference on days when I can't make it to the gym. Yay for endorphins!
Old 03-02-2005, 04:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Great thread.
Jennifer--I too never would've thought about my clothes falling off the hanger because of size but that sure explains it.

I can cross my legs again. Sure it's not all the way yet but I don't have to cross at ankle/knee.

I too no longer get winded so easily.

I actually will walk more places whereas even if I was just going 2-3 blocks, I would get in my car and drive there.

I can carry both my children at the same time for brief periods of time and it used to wind me just to carry them up the 3 steps to get on the porch (William is almost 25 pounds and Lilly is 30 pounds )

I'm sure there are more but my brain is not functioning at this time.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Jennifer - I'm very happy you thought of this. I can look back on this on my bad days and see how far I have really come!! Thanks

Not only my pants falling off me but my underware!! I love buy smaller undies!!

Looking at my legs and actually noticeing they are smaller.
Having more energy!
A whole lookout on life. Want to experiece life not just sit back and watch!!
Yup a guy checking you out is something that can make you feel great!
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I haven't lost any weight really, but I do notice when I'm exercising I have a lot more energy and feel better about myself. Also, I definitely notice I have WAY more energy to cook, and make healthy choices when I'm not eating sugar or any wheat. I noticed this period I didn't get bloated (although I sure felt like I was!). I definitely look forward to losing weight and wearing my old clothes.. I don't even need to shop for new clothes because I own so many from when I gained this weight a few years ago.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:00 PM   #15  

Okay so this is a little embarrasing, but when I sit on the toilet I can actually see my privates. They used to be covered by my belly!

Also my husband commented on my nice waist!!

Good thread! I like this
apriltx is offline   Reply With Quote