Old 02-27-2005, 12:11 AM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default Did anyone see Jane Pauley Feb 23?

I think it was feb 23 that they had a show about being overweight and they were discussing this play Fat Pig and also women who have written books about being overweight and reclaiming the word 'fat'. Also there was a bit about Dove's latest campaign for real beauty where they had this overweight woman in an advertisment and the words 'outstanding' or 'overweight' (I think) and you could go to the web site and vote. I just wondered if anyone had seen this show and what did they think of it?
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:59 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Thumbs up

I didn't see that show, but out of curiosity, I went to the Dove website (www.dove.com), and they have a link to click on to discuss beauty images (or something like that). They ask your opinion of a woman with a TON of freckles, an older woman with gray hair, and an overweight woman. They have this message about how beauty comes in all shapes, sizes, colors, etc. I haven't seen any ads like this on tv or in magazines (then again, I don't really watch a lot of tv or read a lot of magazines!), but I think it would be a great campaign to launch on a much broader scope than merely their website.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:50 PM   #3  

The campaign is quite big here in the UK, there are pictures on busses and in magazines, it's really good to give people something to think about. I am a big one for using the word fat. I hate being called "round" "plump" or "cuddly" I much prefer to be called fat. When I was looking for a support group on-line I actually typed "fat chick" into google as that is what I have always called myself, and was stunned to see that there were thousands of fat chicks, all here, and all supporting each other.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:10 PM   #4  
Crazy Canuck

I would see one of those Dove billboards every day on my way to and from work. It showed a smiling, very attractive young woman wearing a strapless black evening gown. I'd say she was a size 18 at the most. The poll question was "Fat"? or "Fab"? I kept track of the ongoing results and when it was abruptly changed to a car ad the vote was 51% for "Fat" and 49% for "Fab". I would have voted for "Fab" (I thought she looked great) but never had time to take down the 1-800 number while driving on the busy expressway!

Last edited by Jillegal; 02-27-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:31 AM   #5  
Learning to love ME!

I think it's a great step in the right direction! I remember reading that ironically accepting our bodies as they are is a prerequisite to lasting weight loss. So I'll join the chorus: I'm FAT and FABULOUS!
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:11 AM   #6  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydancer
I think it's a great step in the right direction! I remember reading that ironically accepting our bodies as they are is a prerequisite to lasting weight loss. So I'll join the chorus: I'm FAT and FABULOUS!
That's great! Me too! There's room for every type of beauty in this world, and every type of taste. Not everyone has to like how I am. Only I do. Besides, there's a lot more that goes into being beautiful besides the body and face.

I hear you, Ky. I am fat, not like I can hide it
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

I wished I had seen it... going to peek at the dove url now. Thanks
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote