Old 02-24-2005, 09:09 AM   #1  
Jenny

Default How often should I weigh in?

I started working out and watching what I'm eating again on Monday after taking a couple week break. I weighed in at 302 on Monday and have been working out and watching what I eat. Well I weighed myself again on Wednesday and was 304. If there a waiting period between weigh-ins?
thefictionalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:40 AM   #2  
Abby's Mommy

Your body naturally fluctuates daily. You should only weigh once a week, max. I think every other week is better, but I cant seem to stay off my scale, either.
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:43 AM   #3  
Jenny

Okay I'm going to start weighing in on Mondays then. Woo. I had a feeling I shouldn't be weighing in so often. It is really depressing looking at the scale and seeing it going up!
thefictionalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:18 AM   #4  
Blue Bunny Butt

S/C/G: 304/304/180

Height: 6'1"

I'm a recovering scale ho! I was in the mindset that the scale was daily motivation, when it really was daily stress and can be misleading.

Our weight will fluctuate daily...weight of water/food in system/glycogen stores...so at the most, I would suggest weekly weigh ins at the same time of the days.
togger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:04 AM   #5  
Want to see less of me

S/C/G: 260/255/185

I still weigh myself when i get up in the morning, after i go the bathroom and before i go to bed. I am addicted, dammit!!!
Orangecupcakez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:19 AM   #6  

I'm addicted too....but I only count what I weigh on fridays
theotherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:25 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I'm a scale addict also--every morning when I wake up after I go to the bathroom, I hop on the scale. Sometimes it's scary, sometimes it's surprisingly friendly. I actually read somewhere a few months ago (can't for the life of me remember where I saw this) that if you feel the need to weigh yourself every day, you should take the average for a week or two to actually track your overall progress since your weight fluctuates depending on SO many things every day. That way, the bad days don't seem quite as harsh because you get a better overall picture at the end of the week (or 2 weeks or month or however long of a time period you choose to compare). I never actually did this--I don't write down my weight each day, so I don't remember every day to add together to find an average. I thought that was interesting, though, and actually made some sense to me since even if you weigh yourself on the same day each week, you could be of a little due to hormones or stress or any number of things.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:44 AM   #8  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

really should only weight monthly as during different stages of the menstrual cycle women are proned to storing excess water which will obviously affect the amount as will the amount of sodium consumed i read somewhere that someone who weights 250 upto 12lb can be stored water under the skin
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:54 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 273.5/see ticker/125-150???

Height: 5'2"

I use a program called Weight Commander. I weigh in daily and it tracks for me. The nice thing is that it also tracks your average. So those little ups and downs don't count as much -- it shows you the whole picture. Unfortunately, my picture hasn't moved much. Hopefully, I'll change that soon.
puff0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:29 PM   #10  

I used to be a weigh a holic, I moved to England and left the scales in Australia!!!!! I weigh once a week, at the gym under the watchful eye of my personal trainer. When I lost 2 pound last week, I jumped around and danced in front of everyone, and they all cheered, it was lovely.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:43 PM   #11  
Jennifer

I guess I'm going to be a dissenter on this one. I definitely weigh myself everyday and enter my weight into DietPower daily. Luckily, I have a Tanita body fat scale, and based on the body fat reading, I can usually tell if my weight is up because of water retention or some other fluke. I tried weighing once a week, but I found that weighing every day keeps me honest -- it was too easy to fudge a little thinking I'd "make it up" later in the week.

The key thing is that you have to find out what works for you. If you're getting too discouraged, definitely weigh once a week or month, but if you're like me, you'll never be able to keep yourself off that demonic scale.
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I too love to weigh. My official "weigh-in" is Monday mornings. Throughout the week I will step on the scale just to gauge whether it will be a loss week or a maintain/gain week. (For instance this morning I stepped on and the scale showed 251.5. Depending on how I do over the next four days, the 3 pounds will be my loss for the week or I could get lucky and lose 1 or 2 more pounds).

I've learned not to get overly upset when the scale doesn't go down all the time. I'm in this for my health and the weight coming off is a side effect (If I keep telling myself that enough times I'm sure I'll start 100% believing it )
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I'm totally addicted to my scale too I got on this morning and was terrified, just had a "bad" feeling"... but it went just fine. I don't know why it's so addicting? I keep hoping I'll get on it and I'll lose like 80 pounds heh.. oh my..

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:31 PM   #14  
Crazy Canuck

As a Weight Watchers member I'm supposed to weigh in once a week on their scales and that's IT! I cheated for the longest time by weighing myself at least 3 times a day on my scales (and using other people's scales when visiting their homes). It became quite frustrating because my weight could fluctuate up to 5lbs. during a day and I knew using several different scales didn't give me a true weight. It was a hard habit to break though (had to get my sweetie to hide my scales - a tow truck driver discovered them at the back of the car trunk when he was getting my spare tire ). Now I rely solely on the WW scales and a once weekly weigh-in. I'm used to it and have convinced myself its accurate; good news or bad.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:33 PM   #15  

I was a weekly weigher because the daily fluctuations drove me crazy. But with the pregnancy I do check every morning just because I wanna make sure I'm not gaining a lot.
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote