General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2001, 09:14 AM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down Prevention Millennium Diet #63

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine

Here is the website address for the Prevention Millennium Diet.

http://www.prevention.com/2000/diet/index.html

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that. In interpreting the guidelines, it is helpful to read the sample menus on the website as well as the more detailed principals of the diet.
Old 07-01-2001, 05:38 PM   #2  

Hi Everyone! Hope you all are having a great Sunday.

The sun is shining here and I am out mowing, weed wacking and planting a few more scented geraniums in pots.

Supper is going to be easy tonight, we usually send out for Chinese food on Sunday and I make one or two dishes to go with it. I made a Raspberry Shortcake... it is going to have the real whipped cream. I am hoping the weed wacking on a 1/2 acre all on an incline will burn enough calories to let me a have a BIG guilt free peice. Though while I am still a 3X I doubt if any food will ever be totally guilt free.

Isn't it great summer is HERE! I love it!

Hope you all are having a MARVELOUS Day! Happy Canada Day to all the fellow Canadians!

Last edited by judi; 07-01-2001 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2001, 10:08 PM   #3  
Chick

Default Hey

Rasberry Shortcake, YUM, now that sounds good!

Well, I am back from my camping trip and once again it was amazing. The mysteries of nature just keep presenting themself as seen from a kayak. Went back to a place that I have been a couple times before through the spring. A new flower was in bloom, Rose Mallow. I just fell in love with it. It grows mostly back in little coves right at the waters edge. It looks as if it might be related to Rose of Sharon and Hibiscus, in a way it also reminds me of Hollyhocks because of the way it stands so tall and grows in large clusters of plants. It was just beautiful. I read in my field guide that waterfowl feed on its seeds in the fall. Which explains to me the flocks of ducks and coots that congregate in these little coves. Also, can't remember if I told you about the beavers I saw in a cove that I like to go to a couple of weeks ago. Last time out I saw two of them swimming and they slapped their tails at me. Well today as I paddled by their lodge we heard little whimpering baby sounds, almost human. It was the babies wanting to be fed. I was with a woman who is a park ranger and she told me what it was. Simply amazing, she said the young are born mid-June. That explains why the parents were so agressive with me when I was last there.

Paddled about 11 miles yesterday and practiced assisted and self-rescues this a.m. I came home exhausted, sunburned, bug-bitten, bruised (from trying to crawl back in the kayak from deep water) and with a whole treasure trove of new things to think about. I LOVE IT!

Had a big feed tonight. Pizza, that is the thing about these outings, I am famished when I get home and too tired to maintain discipline. So, last trip I kept eating large meals for a week and this time I want to stop now. Will be challenging the next couple days with the holidays, but I plan to get right back to my journaling and try to stay on top of things. I am considering setting some mini weight loss goals for myself and try working toward a specific number for a month. Wish me luck.

Happy Canada Day. Happy Fourth of July Holiday. I guess I have already started celebrating. Or at least I will tomorrow evening with a cookout at my house.

Great to hear from everyone and look forward to hearing the latest from all of you.
Old 07-03-2001, 02:47 AM   #4  

Ledom: Hi! I think Rose Mallow is the same as Lavatera. It is a short lived perennial. I have about 6 bushes of it in the garden and I love it too. It is a wonderful flowery filler of the garden for weeks and weeks. The leaves are kind of frilly and pretty too.

Your trips on the kayak sound DIVINE!!! What a nice way to spend summer. It must have been so neat to see the beavers. We had to two on the island here but they had to be moved, because they were in the water supply of some people. But, WOW! paddling 11 miles...I tip my hat to you! Now that is exercise! VERY !!!

We had neighbors over the other day for drinks and the kids came for dinner tonight. It is real sitting on the deck weather here. Just wonderful. I have my BIG Canadian flag flying, I will take down tomorrow. I forgot to put it up last year and my neighbor reminded me to put it up this year.
Old 07-03-2001, 12:54 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Default Hello Girls

Happy belated Canada Day Judi, I see you're on line, too bad we couldn't talk one on one....
I had a quiet Canada Day here... It's been quite cool here the last couple of day....but it's still nice...I'm off work so who cares...

Ledom -- Wow!! your trip sounds wonderful, isn't that what life is all about? I get great visuals of your kayak trips... Ever think of keeping a journal, other than for FOOD... I love reading your posts for just that reason....

Judy -- YOU are quite the gardener....wish my thumb was green instead of black....I do have black raspberry bushes that suddenly started to grow at the back of the yard, they are so good....

Well I've had 2, count 'em 2 good food days, patting myself on the back... so I sure hope it keeps up.....

I have to go now...be back later.....

Lana
Old 07-04-2001, 10:59 AM   #6  

Default perfectionsim

Way to go Lana!! I had one good day, with exercise too. This WILL be my 2nd. I have started journaling, drinking my water etc.
I haven't even been cheating with my wine ( ) I put 2 oz. in a 10 oz. glass of water and its a spritzer.

I was reading (I forget where) that perfectionists have the hardest time with dieting. They can't get started because they know there will be lapses and they can't live with that or they throw in the towel when there are failures. Other people pick themselves up and go on. While perfectionists can do MANY things perfectly, dieting is one thing that is difficult for them...because they have to SUSTAIN it forever and they can't stand the thought of the all too human and inevitable odd failure. I could relate to that article. (Maybe it was in the last WW magazine) I know I am a perfectionist and I drive everyone crazy around me (& myself too) with this trait. I am getting a bit more forgiving as I get older. It does have its up side. I was a VERY good student, I finish books, I am neat and I am NEVER late. It helped me to understand why I was having such a gosh darn hard time with dieting.

Hope you all are having a good day. Happy Juy 4th American friends!!!

I have to go to the dentist, first cavity in about 9 years
Old 07-06-2001, 12:35 PM   #7  
Chick

Default Hey Girls,

Lana and judi congratulations on your perfect days and journaling. That is, of course, what it takes to win at this endeavor! As I expected, I have suffered a bit of a blip, but hopefully am back on track now that the 4th is over. Yesterday i was just so out of it, laying on the couch watching junk tv all day. That behaviour is self-perpetuating and I am trying to do better today. Hopped in the car for a drive over to the University to pick up my check and do a little work. I plan to spend the afternoon in the darkroom. Next week I'll be busy working, at least the 1st half of the week as an artist is coming to set up an installation in our gallery for the first opening when school starts. I feel the summer turning and since I am not taking a vacation this summer I feel more relaxed about spending the rest of the summer in preparation for the fall. Take care. My journal is back in use today. And oh yes Lana, I am keeping a kayak journal, mostly documenting the flowers and wildlife I see. Hey it is hot summer here now, will be hugging the A.C. for the next couple months probably,
Old 07-06-2001, 02:09 PM   #8  

Default finally, a weight loss

Hi gals!

I have lost 3 1/2 lbs. this week. I attribute it to very little bread and tht Kashi Go Lean cereal with so much fibre in it, you never feel hungry.

I am leaving for California tomorrow and hate to leave my scale behind BUT if I keep journalling every bite of food and stay within my points I should be o.k.

The kayaking journal is a good idea Ledom, it will be a source of pleasure to write and reread.

Parasha is gone to the kennel for this trip, we took her in there yesterday and went to check on her twice she looked fine, we will just have the boy along this trip. It is too hot to be driving with Miss Daisy.

I had the MOST trying DAY this week...I got a in a "Jerry Springer" type insulting and screaming match with an another woman! I KNOW It was pathetic the last time I did that was when I was about 22 and I am 51 now. Of course, who was at the centre of it my "dog" ...in his defense I must say he wasn't ENTIRELY innocent but he wasn't ENTIRELY guilty either. Then the gardener did a lazy a## job because I wasn't there to supervise and I always am. Now that isn't a big deal except, I gave this person work when she didn't have any, pay her almost twice as much as everyone else because she has had a rough life, blah blah etc...I felt so used and "STOOPID"! Well, to avoid those type of situations I am not hiring her anymore and I now have one of those electric fences for the yard, so if the dog wanders out he gets a jolt until he learns to stay in bounds. The DH still has to install it.

BUT the good thing was when all this happened (on the same day) my first thought was "I NEED a drink!" Then I thought, no I don't...so I sat for a bit, calmed down and had some water and at the end of that day I banked 3 points. The other day I was at the FOUR SEASONS hotel for dinner and I love the bread basket there...I didn't take one peice. It was easier to ignore the whole thing then try to eat that thing moderately. SOOO though I have had a few failures on the social interaction front, I had a small success on the dieting front

So how was YOUR weeK???
Old 07-07-2001, 05:23 PM   #9  
Chick

Default Hey,

judi I really wanted to reply to your post yesterday, but I couldn't get the reply page to open up. Your bad day sounded like the worst! An aberration that took you by surprise I'm sure. Don't you just hate that? BUT, you were so cool to let it end and not end up letting it sabatoge your self-control. And by the way, a big congratulations on being down 3 1/2 lbs. That is terrific! I hope you are enjoying your travels.

All quiet on the home front. D and I got up and hiked this a.m., but not early enough to beat the heat. Summer is my least favorite time of year as far as comfortable weather is concerned, I hate the heat!

Mrs. Yogi, shebacat, lana, alice how are you guys doing?
Old 07-07-2001, 09:59 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Default hey girls.....

Congrats Judi, on your weight loss....keep up the goood work. Talking to myself really works....
I've gotten out of some troubled moments lately because of self talks...
Things have been very quiet here...hubby was out of town for the week...Things are not perfect diet wise but is life ever perfect...I will go weigh in on Monday or Wednesday...
I've only been walking 4 km/day lately,which isn't much, sometimes twice/day and I sometimes make it to the gym... I love to roller blade and bike but the winds have been really bad lately, and my eyes are terrible in the wind....Anyways, one does what one can.....

I hope everyone has a very good weekend, and Ledom keep up you kayaking...it sounds so wonderful..

Lana.....
Old 07-09-2001, 01:40 PM   #11  

Default California sun

Hi ladies!

Here I am in California, enjoying the sun and the many low fat products available. Wonder light Italian bread...TWO pieces for one point! I have been keeping with in my points mainly because with all the driving and no time for exercise.

Ledom, you are so RIGHT, THAT day did catch me totally off gaurd and it still bothers me. I honestly thought that I was beyond acting like that guess not ....

I saw a deer last night and it looked so diff than the deer that come to my yard, big gray brown ones with wide ears, and this deer in the high desert was a yellowish tan with pointing ears. Good example of animals adapting to their environments. The trip up here was good and traffic was not all that bad.

So how is everyone??? I am feeling motivated, journalling every day and quite encouraged by the success of my slim friend who is 1 pound away from goal. Everytime we talk all we talk about it how many points in food and where stuff can be found, but it is good to have someone to share with it. That is why I appreciate this thread and all you girls so much!!!

Lana 4 km is good!! Give yourself a pat on the back. Are you at home now or still working?

Hi Alice and Shebacat!

Last edited by judi; 07-09-2001 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:45 PM   #12  
Chick

Default Hey

Judi, sounds like having your friend to talk to is a major motivation. I am back w/ the program as well, I have been working the last couple of days but have managed to keep on the diet. I feel better about myself when doing so.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:14 AM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Default Good Morning!!

I kept to the program yesterday too, today so far to good...but it's only 10:02AM... ...
Yesterday had only 24 points........ and no wine eventhough I visited my 2 g/f's who drink wine all the time, it's difficult to refuse that wine or drink sometimes...
Judy, sounds like CA is as wonderful as ever...Yes, Judi I am off for the summer, it's the wonderful thing about being a temp, I just refuse to work in the summer, it's like being my own boss... $ money isn't as good as a f/t secretary, but my sanity is more important, I think....
Ledom, you're back to work already?

I'm feeling motivated too these last few days, journaling is a definite bonus. I've been making it to the gym at 5:30am, and I feel good, altho I've slacked-off on the cardio... I wanted to watch Big Brother last night... ...and then after BB, there was a thunder storm... so really it wasn't totally ALL my fault...

Ok now I must do groceries, I have to take the kids, darn it usually costs double when they come along....

Well you gals have a great day....

Lana.....
Old 07-11-2001, 10:32 AM   #14  

Default Goodmorning!

Lana, I agree with you...sanity is more important. When you are a mom with two kids you already have a lot to do.

I am still journaling. It does make a diff.

Tomorrow we are going to San Diego for two days.

I am starting to get the bends from ....scale withdrawl...can not wait to get on one.

Are you working in the darkroom Ledom?

Alice, how is it going? How is Lacee?

Hi Shebacat!
Old 07-11-2001, 11:44 AM   #15  
Chick

Default No,

I'm not in the darkroom today. Tomorrow though! Today I am in a cooking/cleaning frenzy because I am hosting bookclub tonight.

Lana, I just had to go in for a couple of days to meet with the artist who was hanging the first show for the fall. He had to do it now. It was actually great for me because this means that I don't have to do it the first couple of weeks of school when I am really busy. I am in total agreement, I could teach summer school but I much rather be home with D and take naps and read books and play. It recharges my battery for the next 9 months.

Yes jouranling just makes me SO much more aware. I am feeling stable if not smaller. I moved my scale to the basement from my bathroom so I am not weighing very often. I need to weigh though and see just where I am.

My mother is keeping me amply stocked with fresh vegetables from her garden. I'm also really enjoying all the great fresh fruit right now. Actually it is keeping me busy just trying to keep up with the produce that seems to be flowing into my house at the moment.

In my mind this is the pivotal weekend of summer. I guess because I have had all these events marked on my calendar for months. I am ready to turn my attention to preparation for fall and to start making prints from all the negatives I have made over the spring and summer. Any of you that would like to get a picture of me in my kayak may send me a personal message with your e-mail and I can send it to you!
Closed Thread