General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2001, 06:42 PM   #1  

Default Body for Life #10

If you are wondering what the heck is body for life, read our webpages to get an idea. If you're thinking of starting or have questions, just ask away!!! We are more than happy to answer. Read Our Introductory Material for a feel for the program, look at our transformations (MrsJim and I have both posted links in our sigs on the BFL threads and other members will soon do the same!) Or just join our happy little family here on 3FC !!!!

Welcome to BFL Thread 10!!!

Geez, when I first posted about BFL on here I never thought we'd get threads going consistently enough to have a Thread 10 at some time! WOWZER!

Thanks everyone for joining us here!!!

Susan
C2W2D1
Old 07-04-2001, 10:37 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Angry A new one ALREADY???

Wow! It's only been a little over 12 weeks for me (I'll have to check my postings - I started posting on BFL around April 15th if memory serves) and we're already on #10!

I hope everyone had a great Fourth of July!

We just got back from my sister's house and I am so proud of myself - I resisted the garlic bread, deviled eggs and just had a small (1/4 cup or less) portion of baked beans, just to get the taste of them. They BBQ'd steak and chicken - the chicken to me was out of the question since it was all legs and thighs (dark meat) but the steak was fab - very lean - I think it was filet mignon! Mmmm....but still on BFL!! She also made salad with just a little dressing and lots of tomatoes. (I've already decided to have real crispy GARLIC BREAD this Sunday!!! Maybe with some grilled sausage and baked beans...mmm.

And I still have a Myo Lite shake coming tonight! Geez, I love this program!

Take care all!
Old 07-05-2001, 01:58 AM   #3  

Hi,

I just finished reading the book a couple of days ago and have actively been reading the boards and checking out the transformation gallery at the lean and strong site. BUT, I am feeling extremely overwhelmed.

I know little of lifting weights and am really concerned that that will be my downfall. I'm pretty sure I can follow the meal plan as long as I stay within the BFL authorized food list and take the shakes but have a question regarding the sixth meal which is after dinner. So does that mean many of you are taking this last meal before bedtime? I figured that 2.5 hours after my dinner meal would take me too 8 or 9pm atleast. I always thought you shouldnt eat anything for a few hours prior to going to bed. See - I am confused!

I joined a gym on Monday as I found I just cannot get exercise in otherwise with my two kids about (they are 2.5yrs and 6 both boys). Thankfully the gym has a daycare on site. I guess I am just worried about the use of free weights and not knowing what to do. Back in 1997, I was seeing a personal trainer and he had be doing free weights and thank goodness he was around as I had no idea what I was doing - especially trying to remember what to do on my days alone at the gym. So my question, I guess is did you just follow the examples in the BFL book? How long did it take to "get the hang of it"?

sorry for the lengthy diatribe but I just have all these questions in my head and am pretty thankful that you gals and guys are around to help us newbies out!

Thanks in advance
Michelle
Old 07-05-2001, 03:10 AM   #4  

Hi Michelle and WELCOME!!!

Feel free to ask anything here!

It is pretty much a myth that you shouldn't eat before bed but it is really a myth on BFL. BFL meals are small and balanced and the last one is necessary for a great workout in the morning.

As far as the exercises, check out the following links:

http://www.gymamerica.com/gti/exerc...ted_demo_index/

http://www.planetkc.com/exrx/Lists/Directory.html

or get a book by Joyce Vedral for beginning body builders.

You might want to do 3 things:

1) Ask the gym staff to get you acquainted with the equipment. Not all of your exercises will be on dumbbells/barbells. Find out what kind of machines they have and how to work them. Ask a trainer to show you how to adjust seat height and move the weight stack.

2) Get a cheap set of dumbbells to practice with at home. This is not for exercising but more for form. For barbell exercises you can use a broomstick. Do it in front of a mirror (preferably full length) using the websites or a book and watch your form. If you take a routine out of a magazine (Oxygen and Muscle and Fitness for Her are very good) pay attention to their DON'Ts section. These are usually the most common mistakes beginners make.
Just watch what you are doing, refer to the book or website and practice FORM FORM FORM

3) BE okay with the fact that you are learning and study each exercise and then try it. You will find you react differently to different ones. Go slow, watch your form and build that confidence!!!

Weight training is simple but the discipline needed to do a routine with proper form takes a while. Don't rush. Proper form is the most important.

Have I mentioned form?

Anyway, Ask away! That's what we're here for! WELCOME!!!

Susan
Old 07-05-2001, 07:32 AM   #5  
GARDENING ADDICT

WELCOME MICHELLE I was also hesitent to start weight lifting because I didn't know what i was doing and because I had surgery for degenerative discs in my neck last January. I still have the same problem in my very lower back but it is under control for now. Anyway, what I did was to print copies of the exercises in the book and put together a program based on the exercises chosen for each body part. One folder for upper body and one for lower body. I constantly looked at the pictures prior to each set, until it came naturally.

Susan had alot of good suggestions. I would especially stress the one about having a trainer at your gym set you up with a routine , based on BFL, that you can start out with. This way you will feel comfortable with the equipment. Try to have a combo of machines and free weights. Keep notes along with your Progress Report, such as seat height (notch setting) for each machine that you use. This way you don't waste time trying to adjust each one.

Don't be embarrassed if you start out with 10# dumbbells for some exercises. I still work to fatigue using 10# (20# total) for the seated dumbbell press. My left arm is shaking on the last 2 lifts.

Oh yeh, have we mentioned FORM?
Good luck and have fun!!!
~~~Sil

Last edited by 2BFIT1; 07-05-2001 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-05-2001, 08:55 AM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Meal #6 before bedtime

Welcome, Michelle!!

Rather than repeat the good advice from Sil and Susan, I just wanted to add my 2 cents regarding eating right before bedtime.

Pretty much all the diets I had been on over the years have had a 'hard and fast' rule against eating two-three hours before bedtime, and that had become ingrained in my psyche...so one of the hardest things for me to accept was that I could - in fact, SHOULD - have my last meal within the hour before sleep.

(In fact, one diet that I was on stated not to eat anything after 6 PM - without explaining how to do that in a normal life where most people aren't off work until 5:00 or so!!!

Now, I'm used to having a Myo Lite just before hitting the sack. Otherwise I'd be STARVING in the morning without enough energy to do my workout!

Oh, and DO check out that planetkc site for the exercises (the BFL site has videos but they've never worked for me for some reason!) Take care...
Old 07-05-2001, 08:58 AM   #7  

Welcome, Michelle!! I eat my last meal in bed right before I go to sleep! If you read over the recent posts at lean and strong, you will see that quite a few of them do, too. I am only in my 3rd week, but I had been lifting weights before. Since you are able to go to the gym (I can't), the people there will be able to guide you well.

Mrs. Jim-I do eat the thigh on the chicken. I know that it is the worst part (other than the wing), but my husband never buys breast meat-and he is the cook and grocery shopper!

Just finished my HIIT jogging. I was able to go the full 20 minutes today. I guess I'm getting better at it.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:21 AM   #8  

Thank you! Thank You! Thank You!

Logging on was the first thing I did this morning and I was so excited to see so many amazing responses!

Mrs. Jim: Your right, I will get that diet mentality out of my head and start following the 6 meal a day ideal.

Susan: Thanks so much for the great ideas and sites. I told my husband about the idea of getting a set for home and we will hopefully go tommorrow to check that out. He is starting BFL as well and we are talking about it all the time.

SIL: I will take your advice and copy the pages from the book to atleast start so I can use them when I do my work out! Great idea.

Shelly: What did you mean by HIIT jogging. I have to say I guess I get a bit confused with all the acronyms used with BFL (see there I just did it

This week I am just sucking in the information and I want to be as prepared as possible for Monday July 9th when I officially want to start my 12 weeks. I meet with a trainer at my new gym on Friday and this evening I will plan what I want her to show me!

Thank you gals so MUCH! I probaby will have a few more questions - who am I kidding it will probably be a whole lot of questions! I will talk to you later.

Michelle.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:29 AM   #9  

Hi all.

I haven't checked in a while, but I just wanted to let you know that I am still doing BFL and sticking to the program. I had a great UBWO last night and I am actually looking forward to aerboics tonight. I have had a couple of days where only had five meals, so I looked at my days and eating plans and I am trying to adjust it accordinly. I plan to weigh and measure first thing Sunday moring, so I will post my results Monday morning. I can tell difference in my jeans, but I don't really expect to see a big difference in pounds.

I hope everyone has a great week and weekend.

Susan
Old 07-05-2001, 03:12 PM   #10  

Michelle-HIIT is the high intensity interval training that we are to do on cardio days. When I jog, I start off with a slow jog for a minute or 2, then get faster and faster. It really does a number on me, especially since I am used to a steady jog of 4 miles at a slow pace.

I am so bummed. I didn't know watermelon was like having pure sugar. I love it, and we don't get it often, but the one that we have is sooo good! On L&S, they say it is like eating red sugar water. Ugh!!

Blastit- What week are you on?? Nothing has gotten looser on me!

This morning when I woke up, my legs were finally sore from yesterday's LBWO. I did stationary lunges instead of the deadlifts. I'm not sure if this is a hamstring exercise, or not. I'm going to check it out on planetkc after I'm done posting this.

SEE YA!

Last edited by ShelleyM; 07-05-2001 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2001, 03:27 PM   #11  

Went over to Planetkc, and they say lunges are for quads. Bill says for hamstrings. What's up with that??? Who's right???
Old 07-05-2001, 04:44 PM   #12  

ShelleyM - I am in week four. I haven't been able to tell much of a change until this week. I am anxious to weigh and measure on Sunday. I have been staying off the scale which is a big step for me cause I usually weigh myself a couple of times of week when trying to lose weight. I really took to heart what susanje said about not seeing results until late into the challenge.

Susan - blastit
Old 07-05-2001, 04:47 PM   #13  

Just FYI: Actually HIIT is different than the BFL 20 minute interval training. The BFL Bill Phillips designed cardio is called 20 MAS (20 minute aerobic solution). HIIT is actually a much tougher interval training designed by Shawn Phillips in which you have to condition your body to it. It starts at 4 minutes and works up to 20 in about 3 weeks I believe. It's one minute of sprint and one minute of jog back and forth (I believe that is the crux of it, I read it a couple of months ago). It was in one of the Muscle Media magazines in the spring. Most people call the 20 MAS HIIT but there is a difference in the workouts (HIIT being much more intense)
Old 07-05-2001, 04:56 PM   #14  

Shelley,

Don't sweat the watermelon. Natural fructose is not as bad as table sugar. However, use it sparingly if at all. I actually bought watermelon to have yesterday and decided against it. However, if I wanted a slice, I would have had it as my carb. It was the 4th of July and I planned on a slice....however I had to cut my gym routine short so I felt like it would not be good to have watermelon too. I also didn't have a turkey burger. I had a grilled turkey pattie over grilled potato and broccoli. I was feeling so guilty about the halfass workout (gym was a madhouse and I just left).

I redid my workout today and it was good. I did garden and houseclean all day yesterday (I was in the garden at 7 a.m. and I finished housecleaning around 10 p.m). I only took a break for my aborted gym mission and dinner (a couple of hours) so I was active all day.

Today I went to the gym...hit UBWO HARD...and took the kid shopping for camp clothes and essentials (sleeping bag etc). I hit the tanning salon on the way back and now I'm resting for a bit before I start to pack her for camp and prepare her room for company. (she leaves and company comes...aiyiyi)

My oldest son is 25 and all of my kids went to overnight. I had years of camp preparation. Now the youngest (of 4--will be 8 in August) is doing her first overnight camp. How many more years will I be doing THIS camp thing????????????????????????????? Sheesh.

Susan--GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU!!! I was wondering where you were!!!

Michelle: if you guys belong to a gym you don't need too much at home, but it helps.

Have a good one everyone!
Susan
Old 07-05-2001, 05:32 PM   #15  

Default More Questions

Hello!

Okay where do I start.

Eating

Bill Phillips talks about prot/carb/veg for atleast two of your meals so and briefly touches on the fats issue of having atleast salmon once a week so that there is some fat in your diet. My question I guess is do you exclude salad dressings when you have salad for eg?

What are some eg. of what you have at breakfast?

Exercise

I am not able to exercise first thing after getting up as my gym doesnt open until 6am and I have to be at work by 6:30am so I go in the evening and on my days off I go after breakfast. Is this okay? I mean I know exercising is okay but will it be to my detriment not doing cardio or weights first thing for eg.?

Supplements

When you first started BFL did you just start with the Myoplex shakes. I have read so much online at the Lean & Strong site and the bodychangers site and people seem to be taking tons of different things. I am currently taking supplements such as a multivitamin, calcium/magnesium, garlic/acidopholis, primose oil (wicked pms - and I'm only 31 go figure!). I plan on getting some myoplex and will definatly start the shakes.

Lastly, when you started BFL did you actually sign up for the 12 week challenge or just do one on your own? I know there are a few days left to sign up for the next challenge but I am wondering if I should just do it as is?

Thanks so much and I will talk to you later.

Mrs. Jim: I forgot to thank you for actually directing me to BFL. I have been a member of these boards for a couple of years now and actually drifted away for the last 1.5 years. I returned (and thankfully remembered my userid) and went directly to the SUCCESS threads and read yours which lead me to the lean and strong site, transformation gallery and then back to here! So thank you!

Michelle
Closed Thread