Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 09:56 PM   #1  

Default Weightloss shouldn't cost us $$

I'm just a little frustrated today. I am a courier and listen to the radio alot while out on the road. On each of my 4 favorite stations I heard advertisments for Body Solutions! The miracle drug that promises to turn fat into lean muscle. In my opinion, if this were possible then why are they paying radio DJ's to market this product? Why aren't doctors prescribing it? And what happens when you stop taking it? They say you can eat all you want, and not exercise and still lose weight. The DJ claims to have lost 14 lbs in 4 months!

I lost 12 lbs in one month for free! Reduced calories, exercised!

I have read alot of "miracle drug" labels. They all say, works best with low calorie diet, and exercise plan... Why not save the buck, and just follow the low cal diet, and exercise more? Thats what I did, and today I sit here 95 lbs thinner than I was a year ago.

I hope I haven't upset anyone, I am just saddened at the thought that we are being taken advantage of and spending so much money to be healthy and thin... It just shouldn't be that way.

Just be careful, and seriously think prior to spending money on another "plan,drug". For $80 you could get a good pair of walking shoes, or a "chair aerobics" video (if you can't walk) and save yourself a ton of cash....

Best of luck to you all!
Nobia
See me! Click here!
Old 06-27-2001, 10:44 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Interesting that you should bring up Body Solutions...

I don't listen to the radio too often (since the one in my ancient Beemer doesn't work) but apparently those Body Solutions adverts are flooding OUR airwaves here in the Bay Area.

Muscle Media magazine had an interesting Q&A on that product on page 44 of the May 2001 issue, where they basically dug into the ingredients of the formula, including collagen, aloe vera, trace minerals and CLA...I like the paragraph in the answer that states "The product claim that you can lose weight in your sleep in and of itself is not such a wild statement if you have the metabolic status of a dieting marathon runner. But then you probably wouldn't need a product like Body Solutions."

The article closes with "...in no uncertain terms, I would be very cautious handing out hard-earned money to such a company. It's hard to believe their claims of doing more research than most of the big boys in the nutritional industry, especially when their formulas seem very low in proven ingredients, research is very expensive and studies for the products in question do not appear to be published".

I've said this before - and I'll say it again - those advertisers KNOW what hot buttons to push. A lot of desperate people believe anything in print and rush to buy these products - only to find they don't work. Of course, many don't blame the product - they blame themselves. This has been going on since the 18th century (they called them 'snake-oil salesmen' then - remember the traveling salesman in "The Outlaw Josie Wales"?)
Old 06-28-2001, 10:19 AM   #3  
WW Jazz Diva! LOL

Default agreement - sort of

Well, here's the thing.......I *sort of* agree with you. I don't think there's a magic pill that's going to make us skinny. That's not going to happen without work and dedication. BUT....

I don't agree with the statement that "weight loss shouldn't cost us money." Maybe I'm reading too broadly into that, but I don't agree with it. I'm a gal who tried good old fashioned lower calories and excercize for years, and always failed at some point. I was DRAGGED to a Weight Watchers meeting. I mean, I was literally kicking and screaming. I did NOT want to pay money for something that I knew was going to require work on my part.

Well, 16 weeks and 28.4 lbs less, I am and a devout Weight Watchers fan and completely satisfied with my investment. And that's just what it is, an investment.

Weight loss WILL cost you money. Whether it's buying particular foods or new sneakers, or spending the $13 a week on a program that works for you.....it will cost you some benjamins. BUT, it's important to remember that the money spent is an investment in your physical well being - and the return on that is better than anything the stock market could offer. It's also important to remember that YOU have to make it work - not a pill, not a shake- YOU.

In any case - I just wanted to state that I DO pay money for weight loss, and it's working, and it's healthy.

I applaud you on your loss. I saw your pics! You look fantastic and it's obvious that you worked extremely hard. Congrats!
Old 06-28-2001, 10:21 AM   #4  
WW Jazz Diva! LOL

Default LOL- OOPS

Forgot to mention that I was going to put my own little diva pic on there too. That was taken just a few days ago - 28.4 lbs lighter. WHOO HOO!

(Some of you may have seen my pics posted in other places. I'm a singer and figure - hey, nothing wrong with plastering my face along with my name , right? LOL - Shameless! That's what I am! Shameless!!)
Old 06-28-2001, 10:57 AM   #5  

I've lost 36 pounds so far and have spent a grand total of $36. Hey, a dollar a pound! I have purchased two videos and an exercise mat.

I agree with you totally that weight loss should not cost big money. The junk they are pedalling on the radio is very expensive. I, like just about all of us, have fallen for the radio commercials. I just couldn't swallow the six horse pills at every meal. I much prefer the long term plan of reducing calories and exercising.

Oops, I was wrong. I have spent $46. I dontated $10 to the 3FC. I plan on doing this once a month. Not much to pay for the support. I'd rather spend the money on my new lifestyle than larger clothes, which was where I was headed.

231/195/170
Old 06-29-2001, 07:54 PM   #6  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERYBUDDY !!

The MAGIC BULLITS of the world are always going to be out there luring the weak into their clutches. There is nothing in the whole wide world we can do about it (except don't give them your money)!!

BUT....what pisses me off quicker than anything else, is a former
FATTY (and I can say that because I am a FATTY) trying to sell their wares making money off of that same group of people that they themselves used to belong to!

When ever I see one of these websites, I fire off an email that would "burn ROME" ! There is no excuse for any of us to be taken advantage of....
Old 07-01-2001, 06:25 PM   #7  

Default radio ads

i am very annoyed that the dj's on the radio are being the guinea pigs for assorted products. in san jose, 106.5 has sold out, ksjo has sold out, 104.9 has sold out, and 101.3 has sold out. the radio stations are becoming monopolies, and many of the dj's are given the choice to advertise in this way or get a new job. i read about a few dj's that chose not to go this route, and were fired.
i am annoyed with hearing a dj plug a certain product or service every single moment. i listen to the radio to hear music, not this ad for this wonder product that will give me a better body/better looks/richer/better sex. i now use a cd player in my car, and am much happier.

andrea
Old 07-01-2001, 06:51 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Trixiepup!

You're a Bay Area person like me!!!

About DJs promoting products, etc. well that's part of their job and I accept that...but when it's something like "Body Solutions" that is obviously a SCAM...well it's just not in the same league as, say, promoting Bob Lewis Volkswagen or something like that.

I remember about 20 years ago, Gene Nelson on KYA promoted NutriSystems the same way - saying he was doing NutriSystems and raving about it so as to make it sound like a personal endorsement. All the photos I've seen of Gene Nelson (who was a DJ here in the San Francisco area since the 50's) don't show him having a weight problem in the slightest! Sheesh...
Old 07-05-2001, 04:36 PM   #9  

A local newspaper reviewed Body Solutions and made the statement that the key to their success is the going to bed on an empty stomach----not the liquid in the bottle. They said that if you followed a sensible eating plan and didn't eat after supper you would benefit just as much by taking 2 tablespoons of skim milk as you would body solutions.
Old 07-06-2001, 08:45 AM   #10  

But even newspaper missed the point. Going to bed on an empty stomach does not matter for weight loss. The real reason people who claim to lose weight by not eating in the evening is because they simply eat less. Eliminate that bedtime snack so you are eating less and you will lose weight.

So it all goes back to the basics ... Eat less and exercise more.

But I admit that even these my skeptical ears perk up a bit when I hear a weight loss commercial - just in case they really have found the magic bullet. It usually takes about 5 seconds before I get disgusted listening to another weight loss scam that many people will waste their money on.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:56 AM   #11  

This is my first post- I just have to respond to this. My husband works in radio and I know for a fact that Body Solutions endorsements are fake. They say this stuff for the $ only! My husband doesn't do this (he's not on-air talent) but one person he used to work with was a major endorser of this product. He weighs about 120 dripping wet and went on and on about how he lost weight on Body Solutions. Complete lie, he couldn't put on weight if he wanted to he has that kind of body type. The reason they are able to get so many endorsements is because they pay A LOT of money for this. Our radio market is saturated with dj's who endorse this product.
If anything it's cutting out the bedtime snack that helps drop lbs. (Don't eat 3 hours before bedtime is the part of the instructions). Also this has nothing to do with bedtime it has to do with eating fewer calories. If you are a night snacker and manage to consume fewer calories by not eating 3 hours before bed then you will probably drop a few lbs. It has nothing to do with Body Solutions.
Last year it was Metabolife, this year it's BS (fitting abbreviation!). I just feel so bad for the people out there who are wasting their money, but worse are getting their hopes up only to be disappointed. Save your money.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:59 AM   #12  

Our local paper also did an article about this- interviewing dj's and refuting Body Solutions claims. By the way- many DJ's are great people but on a whole it is not a group I would take health advice from! Also it's not a high paying job in general so endorsement money is tempting...
Closed Thread