Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 09:39 AM   #1  

Default I Have an Avocado and Some Baby Greens...What Can I Make?

Well, the title says it all. I have an avocado and some baby greens that need to be eaten TODAY. What can I do? I've never really had avocado that I liked - it might need to be disguised.

Thanks!
Angela
Old 02-11-2005, 09:57 AM   #2  
i luv my dog!

Do you like balsamic vinegar? Do you have any handy? I like to cut half an avacado and slice it lenghtwise and add some balsamic vinegar and freshly grated black pepper. It make a nice snack or addition to a lunch.

Do you like guacamole? Just add a couple spoonfuls of salsa, a squeeze of lemon juice, diced onions (optional), garlic or garlic powder (optional) and S & P and there you have it.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:48 AM   #3  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I vote for the guacamole!!!! Add some salsa - maybe some additional veggies if required, and/or salt/pepper, spices/cumin? and and mush that together w/your ripe avocado! You can use it as a "salad dressing" for the greens - maybe add some "protein" too? Grated cheese or tuna or chicken if you have it?

Save some for me!

Frouf
Old 02-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #4  

I know this will sound stupid but what does an avocado taste like? I bought one ... don't ask me why ... because I don't like guacamole. It's sitting in my refrigerator ... just sitting there because I haven't a clue on what I could use it with. Sliced in a salad maybe?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Slice it in a salad, or how about this? The last time I had one that got pretty ripe, I put it in the food processor with some garlic, a few sliced jalapenos and some milk and made sort of a salad dressing. It was really good! Also good as a sauce on fish.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:37 AM   #6  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Deborah - avocado is quite mild tasting - however I think it needs to come out of the fridge? Is it ripe? (i.e. a bit soft/mushy when you press w/your finger?). You need to peel it and get rid of the pit in the middle and either slice it for salad or just snacking? Or mush it up w/other stuff and spread it or use as a dressing.

Try it and let us know what you think!

Froufie the Guacomole Lover
Old 02-11-2005, 12:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/172/155

just yesterday I had a whole wheat ff tortilla with ff cheese, shaved ham , green pepper and avocado sliced on top, topped all this with salsa...heated it up, rolled it up and it was so good , I had another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #8  
Southside White Sox Fan

Yummmmm. All these ideas sound good. I didn't think I liked avocado until I had gaucomole that didn't have alot of extra stuff added in. Try it Deborah. I love mine in salad and I've also made egg beater omelets and added bits of avocado and added some salsa on top. I'd really like to try Kathy's idea too.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:10 PM   #9  

So when I started peeling my avocado, I noticed it was moldy beneath the skin! So needless to say, I didn't eat it. But all these great ideas make me want to get one next time I'm grocery shopping!

I'm excited for tonight - you know how last week we watched 11 children for a babysitting co-op? Well, tonight is one of our nights to go out and dump our children with another family. We're going to the Japanese restaurant, then to the arcade (dh says he wants to see me play the ddr game there!), and maybe shopping after that, or maybe we'll wander around Barnes & Noble. I'm practially giddy that I get to go out without the kiddos and with dh for a whole 3 hours. And next weekend (Thurs & Fri) we are doing our big Valentine's "you know what." Can't say much because dh is home and he reads over shoulders. But you probably won't see any posts from me during that time...

Angela
Old 02-11-2005, 06:15 PM   #10  

Have a super time tonight, Angela! It sounds like a lot of fun!
Closed Thread