Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #1  

Height: 5'-2"

Default Lent!!

Who cares if you don't believe in it! What are you doing/giving up, girls!?

I'm committing to tracking every day, which means I'll be giving up a number of things.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:04 AM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Bridge Mix?

When is lent? Not my faith but maybe I will give up chocolate just to keep you company
Old 02-10-2005, 11:57 AM   #3  

It started yesterday. I think.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #4  

Oops! Well I had some chocolate yesterday....so how about I give up chips instead?....

Actually, I'm not clear as to the whole concept of lent.

Why, when and what should you be abstaining from?
Old 02-10-2005, 12:22 PM   #5  

Aha! From spirithome.com :

Giving Something Up For Lent

In Lent, it's traditional to give up something(s) that we do a lot of and that we find pleasure in. This 'giving up' is done :

* as a discipline for learning self-control, to free our minds from the chase after material things,
* as a reminder of Christ's sufferings and what our true pleasures are as followers of Christ,
* as an act of sorrow over our sin.

Sometimes we don't notice how certain things we do have gained power over us and dictate our actions. In Lent, we discover these things and give them up so that God can be in charge. Franciscans use the term 'detachment' : the less that 'stuff' preoccupies your life, the more room there is for God.

The most common thing is to fast for Lent. To Catholics, this means giving up meats for the season (or just on Fridays) or to fast entirely for one day a week. For me, fasting is tough, because I enjoy eating. For diabetics, it can be dangerous if not designed with blood sugar levels in mind. You might try giving up pizza pie or fast food or snacks (betcha you can't do it...).

If giving up food isn't much of a task for you, choose something else that you have to make an effort to give up. For many people, that means 40 days without :

* television
* gambling
* impulse shopping
* catalog shopping
* dance clubbing

--- anything that most relates to a sin that's especially sticky for you. Whatever that is, it is where your Lenten discipline must be centered. For instance, this year my detachment discipline will be about my finances.

Many people use Lent for taking the complexity out of parts of their lives. They pare down their schedules, and concentrate on activities that matter most. If you work overtime, what are you working overtime for? For a real human need, or in order to buy more stuff? Others look for a specific area of their life in which they use power or authority over others, and then try to find ways to use less power in doing it. If you're a control freak, then change the way you approach what you most freak out in controlling. A fast is a reflection of your awareness of sin, and your sorrow over it. It's best to choose one thing at a time. Then as that takes hold, give up another different thing, as the Spirit leads you. Or, maybe, give of your time and money to charitable activities that help those who suffer. (Need funds? Use the money that you would have spent on the food or activities you're giving up.)

Jesus is not looking for self-torture, self-hatred, woe-is-me thinking, 40-day starvation and oceans of tears. (Many great saints and plain fools have thought that's what He wanted.) Lent is for soberly looking into yourself and getting down to what's real. Self-hatred is not being real. How could it be right to look down upon someone who God loves and treasures? The Sundays aren't counted in the 40 days of Lent, because every Sunday carries with it a part of the glow of Easter Sunday. So it's not all gloom and doom. But even on the Sundays, the theme of repentance (turning from our ungodly ways) holds true. When you repent, you please God whether you fast or not, and that is what most counts for Lent.

Lent's sadness and sternness doesn't mean you can't cozy up to the one you love, or discover new love. It doesn't mean you can't dance a St. Patrick's Day jig, or enjoy a good game of basketball, or get a belly laugh from a funny moment, or have a flash of ecstasy during worship or prayer. Rather, in Lent we put a stop to our fevered pursuit of pleasure, and we instead let it seek us. Then, when the moments of joy come, they're recognized as a gift from a loving God.

Adding Something For Lent

Lent is not all about giving things up. It's also about adding good things to our lives or to others' lives -- the kind of good things that follow on what Jesus asks of us.

* Reconcile yourself to someone you don't like, or even hate or did something bad to, or just intentionally stayed away from.

* Do acts of kindness for people, just because they're there; give them little tastes of God's love.

* If you haven't taken the time lately to be in a refreshing, natural spot, do so. I live on Long Island, which has wonderful beaches and bayside spots to enjoy some peace and rest. You have places where you live, too. Even if it's a brief stay, even a half-hour or so, try it.

* Study, meditate, and pray over one or two Scripture passages for each day, through a daily lectionary (assigned Bible readings for each day), the Daily Office (Scripture-based devotions for set times of day), or devotional booklets or email lists.

* Think upon something ordinary that you do every day, and think about God while doing it, in a way that ties into what you're doing. Or think of a place you come to regularly, and each time think where Christ might be in this place, what Christ might do there, or what you might be led to do for Christ.

* Attend special worship services. Perhaps it's a liturgical church's daily morning or evening prayer service (Matins and Vespers). Perhaps it's a Wednesday Lenten service. Or maybe it's time you started going to the Sunday morning services every Sunday.

* Try to find a new way every day to bring to mind Jesus' death on the cross, and why it happened.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:28 PM   #6  

Good LORD!! Thanks, Mauvais... I'll read that later when I have a minute or two.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:27 PM   #7  

Old 02-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #8  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

I think I am giving up my insomnia. I have been so beat by the end of the day, I just crash when I get the chance.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:38 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Man, Mauvis - I didn't pay attention during catholic school so thanks for the refresher!

Ok, I'm not of the faith (recovering catholic) but!

I'm going to give up eating after 9PM. Believe it or not, that's hard for me!
Old 02-10-2005, 08:50 PM   #10  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

40 DAYS????!!!!!?????? I was thinking chocolate, but 40 days, I'm not sure!!! I am not Catholic but would like to share in this journey, so I am really going to try. I will have to start anew today as I have already had chodolate but I will give it a go from now on until March 22nd. Wow that is a long time! Well, I guess I better go find all the chocolate I can find to eat tonight so I can start fresh tomorrow. Hugs to y'all!
Virginia
Old 02-11-2005, 09:40 AM   #11  

I am giving up chips
Old 02-28-2005, 10:31 PM   #12  

Default Chiiips

I hate it when I have to give up chips!!!!
They brighten my day in whichever form they take.
Let us take a moment to remember them fondly
Old 02-28-2005, 10:37 PM   #13  

Amen!!
Old 03-01-2005, 01:25 PM   #14  

Old 03-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #15  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! !!!!

(I can relate!!)
Closed Thread