Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-06-2005, 11:08 PM   #1  
Charm38

Red face I would Like to Introduce Myself

Hello everyone. My name is Char and I had weight loss surgery on April 22, 2002 and thought this would be a nice place to meet a few individuals like myself. Here are my stats:
Beginning Weight: 270
Current Weight: 160
Dr: Dr. David Nye, Baptist Hospital, Pensacola, FL
Height: 5'6
Bypass Measurements: Medial with 140cm bypassed, non-transected
Complications: None immediately, but had a gall stone attack 3 months ago (October 04)
Beginning Size pre-surgery: 2X/sometimes 3X
Current Size: 10 almost always, dresses run a little larger at a 12

Some common answers to questions I get:
Are you still losing? No. I had stopped at 173 and in September had a hysterectomy (ovaries still intact) and dropped to 157, then gained to 160 and have remained stable at that weight.
When did you stop losing? I pretty much became stable 18 months out
What CAN'T you eat now? No sweets, I dump. No dairy, it upsets my tummy. No stringy chicken, I stick to chicken thighs. No fibrous beef, I eat only filet mignon (oh the life!).
Do you have hanging skin? No. I was lucky, though.
Did you exercise? No. I was very bad here, although I am getting better.
How much can you eat now? I can eat just under 1 cup of food basically. Of course, this wasn't always the case, but it has been this way for about 2 years now. In the very beginning I could eat only about 1/2 cup or less.
Did you throw up a lot? In the beginning I threw up all the time, but I have to say that this was because I pushed the envelope trying to see what I could and couldn't tolerate. I probably throw up now about 1 time per month or less, and usually because I was being stupid about what I ate.
How much sweets can you tolerate? Well, I have rules and if I don't follow the rules, I get sick. The first rule is, if you want chocolate, eat it on an empty stomach. Never, NEVER eat sweets after a meal. I never have anything sweet in drinks -- nutrasweet and diet soda for me. I only eat a few bites at a time, then wait an hour, then have a few more bites, etc. It takes me all day to eat a regular slice of pecan pie.
How often do you eat? I eat ALL DAY! I keep peanut butter crackers handy and my meal count ends up to be about 5-6 times a day of small meals. I have a jimmy dean sausage biscuit every morning on my way to work (the small ones) and that has carried me through better than anything else. Then I usually have a package of cheese & peanut butter crackers around 9 or 10am, then I have lunch at various places, usually fast food. I have a mid-day snack, then I have dinner later, then I have a snack in the evening, sometimes two if I stay up late on the weekend. I am a firm believer that you have to eat like this in order to lose the weight. We are getting so little already that it is important to eat and I believe the weight loss industry will back up my 6 small meal-a-day plan.
Do you take vitamins? Yes. I am not as regular as I should be, but I notice a real difference if I miss for more than two days. Calcium is SO important!!

Anyway, I would like to write more, but I have to go for now, but would love to hear from everyone!! Take care and it was nice meeting you all )

Char
Charm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 07:30 PM   #2  
Charm38

Pookie and all,

Thank you for responding ) I also love the emerald coast and catch my breath every time I see it (which is every day!!). We have decided to stay because of the beauty of this area. I have been out of the support group loop for a long time but now am feeling the need to start helping others. I'm going to soon (when I get a chance) write about my gall stone attack as it was very painful and quite surprising since I was over two years out when it happened. I think it is important for others to know what it feels like in detail -- in brief, I can only say it was just like a heart attack and that is what I (as well as the EMT's) thought it was. It was very painful. Anyway, nice to meet you! I am hoping to touch base with anyone over 10 years out as I am a little concerned that I haven't met ANYONE in this time frame. I am also concerned with the health care industry's cavalier attitude about releasing long term studies on this operation (or lack thereof). Again, I haven't found any. So, I am hoping... I'll check back later on and post again. Sorry I always seem to cut off but I am going to school for a PhD and I also work full time. I have no life it seems, but this too shall pass (

Char
Old 02-08-2005, 07:13 PM   #3  
Charm38

Thanks for the article. I read it and will follow up by reading the actual study. Still, this operation has been done for 40 years. If you happen to come across anything else, I would love to see it. It would be nice to know that those that had it 20 years ago are doing great as far as the procedure is concerned. Anyway, regardless of this it was still the best option for me. I was a diabetic and I believe my prognosis wasn't good. Now my blood pressure is normal as well as my cholersterol, heart function, and sugar levels. I have joint pain that is more severe than before surgery, but I don't feel that that is related -- just that I lost a lot of muscle around those joints during the weight loss so they are not supported as well, making my condition worse. Anyway, I will post again later )

Char
Old 02-11-2005, 01:58 AM   #4  

Welcome Char!!!! You are doing awesome! Look forward to getting to know you.
My4Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:09 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Char, Welcome
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote