Old 02-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #1  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Talking New thread for Feb!!

Here we go at last! Finally got the new thread going. Seems it wanted the title changed a bit.

Newbies, don't be shy. Hop aboard! We can use all the people we can get!

Last edited by redballoon; 02-03-2005 at 05:06 PM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:44 PM   #2  

Oh I brought it!
HAL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:50 PM   #3  
Never give up

Early Friday morning here. Well, not so early anymore but I want to try to touch base with you all.

Derry -- We had problems getting a new thread started. Seems there were technical problems with the forum or something. Finally got it going as you can see. I'm sorry to hear about the doctor's diagnosis. Since that route isn't offering you much help I would look into alternative therapies, many of which are downplayed by "traditional" Western medicine. I would think the best path here with arthritis would be nutrition. I know that many foods, especially dairy products, are supposed to aggravate or cause joint pain in many people. I would try to surf the Net and find information on this. How is your doctor going to help you with the weight loss, by the way? As for yoga, it will definitely maintain and improve flexibility. You needn't worry about meditation or breathing or unnatural positions. Yoga is from wherever you start. You do not have to be in a certain position in order for it to "work" or so. Wherever your limits are now, that is where you, naturally, must start from. More importantly, wherever you start from is from where you start reaping the benefits. It's like any exercise. It will help at any point. As for WW points I don't know about them. Certain yoga routines are very calorie consuming, others are mere stretches and I doubt they eat up calories. I understand your not wanting to try to fit more things into your busy day but there is much of yoga that can be done just as you go basically. Even a few stretches while you're still lying in bed can be very beneficial. Watching TV too is a great time to move into a few positions. I would focus on doing that. Just try to get familiar with things. You don't need special mats and clothes to move and be conscious of your body, which is what yoga is about to. I'm afraid so much of the yoga boom has made this out to be some sort of packaged exercise, something to be taken into a studio and done there like aerobics or step classes. It's not. It can be but surely shouldn't fall the victim to that kind of thinking. Yes, as far as I go, the salad and apple were very important in ways. As soon as I lose a little weight I usually put it right back on because I am not making these lifestyle changes. I have to do that and this is what it's about, taking fruit with me while I'm on the move, making sure I get vegetables in me during the day even if it means a bit of extra preparation. Good for you, Linda, on resisting the donuts. If you can break the psychological cues of such things as this -- quilt days = donuts etc. you will be making major changes! Good luck!

Chachee -- Good for you for doing your walking. 45 minutes is longer than you usually go, right? Do you walk watching TV? Yes, bad choices, just not wanting to be bothered thinking about eating "right." That's what happened. The usual story of my life. I've been so busy and there is so much to do that anything I do just doesn't give me a sense of satisfaction. I then eat out of anxiety or something, some feeling of dissatisfaction. Of course, this only makes it worse. It seems I don't get much of a sense of achievement out of a lot of very good choices I make. They have to be bigger, like making that salad was. And they only seem big when I haven't been doing them in a long time. It's like everything. I can be doing so well and the longer I do "well" the less it seems to be a big thing and then it's like I want to swing the other way just so I can feel the swing back to better ways. Of course, this constant swinging is what keeps me stuck at the same place. I suppose what I should do is force myself to go even stricter, much stricter and then the swing back would only take me as far as a "good day" instead of a "bad." Hmm. I may be on to something there.

jolly -- Sorry to hear you're not doing well. And ok, if you want to crack down on yourself, that's a good thing. BUT, please don't get down on yourself while you're doing it. You have EVERY justification. Look at your schedule!! And I'd say that's more than a "glimmer of hope" with the not eating at work. That is MAJOR!! It's this kind of thing. DON'T downplay it! These are victories!

llpounds -- hi there. Are you joining the thread? Tell us a little about yourself. I see you're brandnew. I'm afraid I don't know anything about WW and their points. Maybe Derrydaughter can help you. Come on and chat with us.

Apple Blossom -- hello there. Glad to see you're still with us too! No dessert, no beer sounds tough. Maybe just try for one or the other at first and then ease into both? I don't know about you but often I will think of my victories as useless because I'm looking at the failures too. You know, all or nothing. That kind of thinking is self-defeating. Hope you don't do that. So, even though you had that gooey dessert, at least you had the Lean Cuisine. Keep going in the right direction. You're still ahead of me in the weight game.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:51 PM   #4  

he he sorry Red, I couldn't resist!
Old 02-03-2005, 05:54 PM   #5  
Never give up

NBK -- what are you doing over here!! You know this isn't where you normally hang out! Are you looking to expand in more acceptable ways! No really. This is the thread I hung out at before joining Bulge and I try to keep up the two. Sometimes it is way too much for me but I find when I'm in a talkative mood I can handle the two. I tend to do both or nothing. . . story of my life.

As you can see, I spent so much time catching up here today I'm going to have to keep Bulge waiting till this evening. I did nothing this morning for work or exercise, except my fingers. I think that's ok though, considering I was so quiet recently and all that typing I did last night. You guys must be sick of me!

To all the Basics regulars -- NBK is a wayward Kiwi taken to wandering around the board popping up on various threads in mysterious ways. She is one cool cat so have no fears!

Last edited by redballoon; 02-03-2005 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:57 PM   #6  

No worries. I am sure the typing counts, and I know I for one could never get sick of you. Sorry for the intrusion back to basics people, I'll go back to where I belong now!

*grin*
Old 02-04-2005, 05:54 AM   #7  
Student of the Hoof

NBK - Feel free to pop in at will.

Red - Sounds like you're still fighting a great deal of stress, did anything ever resolve on the job front?

Jolly - I hope the surgery goes smoothly, and your recovery is quick!!

I got the stereo jack adapter finally. It's only been what... 3 months? Who knows. Anyway, today I'm driving to Arkansas with V - it's roughly a 10 hour drive, maybe a little more. Then trimming and booting classes, and drive back Monday. Then start working on a web site and getting my business cards printed up. Hopefully I'll start getting some folks in who don't mind a beginner working on their horses' hooves. I have to practice on something, right!?!? *sigh* I can only trim my horses' hooves once a week at the most - that's mostly just a light rasp to keep them in shape. I need real challenges to help me learn. I also have three more classes - hoof anatomy, intro to live trimming, and my first mentorship to take before I am officially recognized by the AANHCP as a practitioner in training. One step at a time, eh?

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
RavenToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 06:04 AM   #8  

Red face I found the new thread!

Red, you have several good points. I think I might visit the library this afternoon and see if there is a yoga video I could try out and maybe some books on it. Also, perhaps there is an arthritis cookbook, I might be able to incorporate some stuff into my diet? I do know that I have what are called "flare ups" and some days are so much better than other days, maybe some of it is food related?
I do think some is humidity related, I am best on dryer and sunny days.
Red said:
>Yes, as far as I go, the salad and apple were very >important in ways. As soon as I lose a little weight I >usually put it right back on because I am not making >these lifestyle changes. I have to do that and this is what >it's about, taking fruit with me while I'm on the move, >making sure I get vegetables in me during the day even if >it means a bit of extra preparation. Good for you, Linda, >on resisting the donuts. If you can break the >psychological cues of such things as this -- quilt days = >donuts etc. you will be making major changes! Good >luck!
I think that is what it is all about for most of us, don't you all? WE have certain habits, the "cues" are very much there. I always go into this doughnut shop to buy coffee on my way to my quilt group on Thursday mornings. Nothing wrong with having some coffee, right? But, when I get in there, the smell of the doughnuts is almost intoxicating. Yesterday, when I passed on the doughnut, I kept telling myself..... you HAD breakfast already, you HAD a nice bran muffin (homemade even!) and you HAD an apple, you should feel quite full. Had I not smelled the doughnuts, I'd have been ok. But, I talked myself out of having one. I did buy some of their low carb "Mountain Bread" to bring home and try. It's like a pita bread, but folds out into large squares. Had with dinner last night and it reminded me of making better choices for myself.
I knew I would want a second helping of the rice pilaf (a family favorite that is NOT low fat) that I made for dinner as I love that stuff, but I had the low carb mountain bread instead of the 2nd helping of the rice. It is big and chewy and takes awhile to eat (we were joking it was like eating shoe leather!). I didn't "love" it, but it occupied me to eat it long enough for my stomach to recognize I was full!
Yeah for NSVs!
Red, I know you live alone. When you make a salad, do you make a BIG salad, so you can take portions of it to work with you or eat it at home as well? You should, if you are not already. I used to know a woman that bought a huge flat plastic container and would make a huge salad every two or three days, she would take servings from that and the family members in her house always knew there was salad available, any time day or night. I guess we could all learn from that as they were a skinny family! Guess they just liked salad?
The best thing about her flat/low container was that it fit on a refrigerator shelf and she could store some stuff on top of it, so she didn't feel like she was sacrificing space in the refrigerator to do this, I guess! Smart lady!
Red, you could always prepare salads and put a few in zip lock bags so you could have them stacked and ready to go! I'm into convenience. I can get very lazy and sometimes the salad that is NOT made won't ever get made... do you all have the best intentions and buy all these great salad ingredients and then have them go bad and not get eaten while you eat other stuff - shame on me! I think I'll make a big salad today!
Yes, welcome to our newcomers, and if I can help out with WW info, I'd be glad to! Chach does WW too.
NBK, you don't have to feel that you need to "go back where you belong", you are welcome. Sounds like you might be fun!
Well, as for me, have to head to a news conference today, talk about emotional! Yikes! If I were going to a doughnut shop today, it sure would be hard. The teen center where both my kids go for music and theater programs has lost funding and slotted to close the last day of February, they are having a news conference to announce this and make a final appeal for more funding from the community. I hope they make it, my kids would be devastated if this place closes. If I were rich, I would fund them. So, I have to get my emotions in check today and not let my sadness rule what goes into my mouth.
Linda
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 06:11 AM   #9  

Hey Raven, you post popped in just as I was doing mine..... glad you are getting this new venture of yours in gear! Keep us posted. I hope this all works out for you in terms of making an income and being "your own boss".
Linda
Old 02-04-2005, 01:53 PM   #10  

Hey all. Time for a real quick fly by post. Glad to see we where finally ableto get February up and running. That reminds me, I need to change my calendar . . .

OK. I am back. Derry, I don't know too much about how food effects arthritis, but I know weather is a huge factor for a lot of folks with arthritis. Also, for exercise, walking and pool work are wonderful for it. My dad has finally gotten his pain a little better managed, and is walking quite a bit - he has lost weight, which helps the pain too. And any swimming, water aerobics, or even just walking in the pool is good. Allows for exercise, without so much stress on the joints. Just make sure the pool is warm enough, or the cold can actually cause more problems.

Welcome new voices. Raven, I hope this weekend is terrific. Glad you popped in.

I only have 1 1/2 days of work before my surgery I am excited. Plus, the two days off of work will be nice. Still needing kicks though. I am getting soooo lazy, and I need to be getting back in the routine as soon as I can after my surgery.

Have a great day all. Will try to hop on more over the weekend. Throwing a Mardi Gras party though, so we'll see.
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:13 PM   #11  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Finally, the new thread.

I guess I missed what Linda said about her arthritis. My mom suffers from that and I do also in my knees. Not horrible for me, but my mom has a very tough time with it. I know when she eats a lot of yeast and/or sugar, it really affects how she feels with it. She's in a lot more pain and it's more difficult for her to move around. I'll have to go and read the old post once I respond here and see exactly what is going on. I agree with Jolly, walking and water exercises are the best for relief from what my mom says.

Jolly: Good luck with your surgery. Will you be MIA on the boards also for awhile? I'm going to say a bunch of prayers for you, but I know you will do just fine! I can't wait to hear how great the vision is and how well you recovered. Have fun with your Mardi Gras party.

Red: I usually walk 60 minutes each morning on the treadmill. I could probably get more miles in, but I give myself a good 10 minute warm up and 10 minute cool down. I'm usually sleepy in the morning, so I'm careful warming up so I don't trip on my own feet! I loved your "swinging" analogy of your weight loss journey. Isn't that so true!! Maybe that swing could come my direction and lop me upside the head!

Raven: Have a great weekend, and be safe! Come back and tell us all about your wonderful trip with V!

Hi to NBK. Welcome to this thread.

Ladies, it's the weekend, so I'll be ducking out for the next two days. Have a great weekend and I'm going to stay on program. I have a haircut tomorrow, brunch on Sunday (always a challenge) and finishing my mom's birthday quilt so I can take it with me. Whew, only two more weeks then it's vacation time!

Happy Friday!

Chach
Chachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 06:20 PM   #12  
Never give up

Good morning people. Sorry, no time to catch up here. Saturday morning and I had another late night last night but I'm off to work in a few minutes thank God. No missed workday like last week! Glad to see so many people posting. And Linda, thanks, by the way, for the ideas for having food on hand and so. I need to think up more of these things and incorporate them. Ok, I'll be back. Take care all!
Old 02-05-2005, 06:58 AM   #13  

Hi everyone! Well, it was a nice suggestion in terms of having food ready, but I should be doing it too! Yesterday was spent running around like a maniac, but I did manage to eat reasonably well.
I also did my body sculpting tape and got on the treadmill for 20 minutes, so about an hour of exercise for me! One of my good friends told me my butt looked skinny yesteray and I was looking really good and that I must be close to goal! That made it all worthwhile for me! Let's all try to remember to give people we know positive feedback when we take note that they look better!
Linda
Old 02-05-2005, 04:49 PM   #14  
Never give up

Linda, sounds like you are doing well with your exercising and eating despite your busy schedule. And that's great that you got a compliment, a well-deserved one! and something to lift your spirits. Yes, it's something we should all remember, to say nice things about people!

I had a horrible day yesterday. I ate and ate, really had a sugar binge all day long. I am disgusted with myself but know why I did it. Because I was out partying again Friday night and was so tired and ill Saturday but we were busy at work and I ate when I only wanted to sleep but couldn't. Another reason to either forgo the partying, be extra vigilant the day after or just put a stop on my emotions and stop the downslide that comes when I feel I've blown it. I've been this bad, why not some more kind of thinking. Well, I'm not beating myself up about it anymore. I'm learning from it all. Learning how to deal WITH myself and not try to force myself into some mold of SHOULDS and SHOULDN'TS. Even though yesterday was bad, I did make a big salad and got some healthy food in while shoveling in the junk. And I did make it to the office and I did work when I came home so all was not lost.

Hope things are going well for you all out there. Hope to hear from you soon!

Last edited by redballoon; 02-05-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:18 PM   #15  

Good morning all. Red, I hear you on the lack of sleep thing. I finally went to the gym yesterday, but I am sitting here posting to you guys while making lunch, when I should be at the gym today. I had my Mardi Gras dinner last night. Everyone left late. Got to bed even later after I cleaned up. Early church and Sunday school this mroning. And, a lovely headache due to decreasing my caffeine. I have been slowly weaning myself off. 2 cans a day for several days. One can today, one tomorrow - then done. I timed it to finish off the case of diet pepsi I had purchased and my surgery date, since I can't have caffeine that day anyway. So, all that complaining aside, yes, lack of sleep makes it very hard to make healthy choices. Sigh.

So anyway. Off to the barn in a bit. I shouldn't be MIA, unless things go really wonky with the surgery. I can post before I go in, and you should have marked improvement by the next day. Let's hope.

Have a good rest of the day all. Off to ride, then to a Super Bowl party.
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote