Old 02-01-2005, 07:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 325/

Height: 5'8"

Default Sanctuary - #6 Everyone Welcome

What we really want in a weight loss support group, boils down to one concept; we are looking for a sanctuary.

Sanctuary means different things to different people. Sanctuary is a place of peace, rest, safety, and rejuvenation. It keeps our spirit and our sanity intact.

Many of us who have a long journey down the weight loss path find ourselves in need of a break. Sometimes our bodies crave it, and sometimes the choice isn't ours, but circumstances forces it upon us. Other times, we need the clamoring throng to cheer us along our way as we breeze past milestones and overcome obstacles.

Sanctuary can be all that as well. It is what you need and when you need it. Sanctuary can be found in good friends who aren’t afraid of your truths and in an open, honest atmosphere.

Sanctuary isn’t judgmental, neither does it discriminate or ask to be censured. It is open to anyone with a desire to share, and especially those in need of and willing to offer support
Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:39 AM   #2  
a work in progress...

Good Morning! I snuck in there on you, Skittles! Quickie drive by post for me...I'll have to check back in later!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 325/

Height: 5'8"

Lucky, I stole your pretty sparkly Welcome. I hope you don't mind.

Well, it is Tuesday, it seems, and we have less than a week for our two week challenge. How are we doing? Are there going to be losses? The way some of us are talking it certainly looks that way. But as this is a support group, we should look at this as even if we as an individual do not make a loss this time, we as a group will, and we should be proud and happy of that. Because each and every one of us helps with each others losses and gains so we should consider them our own as well. Granted we would be much happier if as individuals we had the loss, but being support for others and talking each other through things, we should share in the losses and not think of our own personal failure, but focus on our success as a group. It keeps us in a positive state of mind. And a positive state of mind will help us make the right choices and see ourselves reaching our goals. So come Monday, if I as an individual have not lost, I will not see it is a failure, I will see what we have done as a group and see it as a victory.
Does any of that make sense. I can't tell if I am saying anything in an understandable manner at 6:30 in the morning. Or if I am just putting words together to make sentences.

Love & Hugs to you all,
Skitt
Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:38 AM   #4  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Well said, Skittles You don't even need that to make sense.

I'm up early and still feeling well rested. I'm heading in for a WI after physical therapy this morning, and I'm really not looking forward to it. I've been keeping to my food plan really well, but I've just been feeling so nasty and bloated off and on for weeks now, and those days always show up on the scale. I'm frustrated even before seeing the numbers, can you tell? I'm getting tired of doing the same thing and expecting different results. Feels like it is time to change something up, but I can't decide what or where to focus. Have considered trying to get back to a daily walk, especially since I'm released from pt after this week. I'm definitely getting back to Curves minimum 3 times a week. Maybe those will be a big enough change for now.

Andria
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:13 AM   #5  
Tilting at windmills

Hey gang,

Just checking in real fast. Less than a week to my exam week, so the time crunch is mounting Hope everyone is doing well! I did a real quick read-through, I'll have to come back to read more carefully later.

--Tony.
fierum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #6  
BELIEVE!

Hello Gang~
I'm sorry for my absence lately. I know you all understand that Jeff and I were going through a difficult time, and it's gotten much worse. I wanted to update you all....

My mother has become very ill over the past week. She has battled a lung condition for many years and developed pnemonia last week. The combination is too much for her body to handle. As you know we are also in the midst of an IVF cycle...here's my story...

Jeff and I agonized over this last night and talked with the Dr. and my family this morning. As much as I wanted to jump on the first plane to Florida, we had to evaluate all the options, thinking of my mom, ourselves and my family. My mother is currently being kept alive by a venilator and the Drs. are leaving it up to the family to decide when to remove it. Once that happens she is not expected to survive. My dad and brother explained to the Dr. that due to my medical situation I may not be able to travel for a few days. He understood that and is willing to keep mom on the machines. There is no guarantee that mom will hold on until I get there, but we are hopeful.

My nurse cried with me this morning and told me, "when God takes one life he gives another". Tonight I am scheduled to take my "trigger" injection for the egg retrieval procedure on Thursday. We have decided to proceed with the retrieval and freeze any embryos that develop. We can then transfer them at some point in the future when we are ready. That way we still have a chance to get pregnant from this cycle. Then I will be able to travel on Friday and plan on being on the first plane to Florida to be by my mom's side.
My family is supportive of this decision and I know my mom would want us to do this.

All day I have been hearing my mom's voice....a long time ago, before Jeff and I realized the extent of our infertility issues, my mom said to me, "I would like another grandbaby before I die". We are hoping to at least give her some grandembryos. I know, a poor attempt at humor, but I am trying.

I will update you all when I can. I'll be taking my laptop with me and I am sure I will need some diversions when I am in FL.

With Love,
Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:23 PM   #7  

Barb, I am so very sorry that you are facing so many difficulties at once. Goodness knows that facing them head on one at a time is hard enough. It sounds like you have an incredibly supportive family and I am sure you will help each other through it all. Bless you for your courage and strength.

When I was pregnant with Jake and Addison, my grandmother was ill but came with my grandfather to stay with my parents as he was having a leg amputated and it was best for him to use our hospital rather than one in their state. She was so very excited that we were having twins because she had twins and our families would be the same - an oldest son and boy girl twins. It was like a special tie between us. She worried the entire 8 months about me and those babies and said many times that she could die happy after she'd met them. I gave birth to them the day before my grandparents were scheduled to go home. But it was mid-December and some ice was on the road. My aunt who had brought them here to begin with wouldn't drive her to the hospital to see them because she didn't want to be on the road anymore than she had to. Before the babies turned a month old I got a call that she had been put in the hospital. I immediately packed our bags and as I was loading the car to take the kids to her I got a second call that she had passed away. It was heartwrenching and I felt like I had failed her. But the truth is she didn't have to meet them to love them and that is all that matters.

Please don't think I am comparing my situation to yours because I truly don't mean to. I just want you to know that in any given situation all you can do is make the best decisions that you can at the time and that, regardless of the outcome, those decision aren't right are wrong - they were just the best you could do. So, whatever happens don't second guess yourself. All that matters is that your mom loves your children even if you don't quite have them yet. And I haven't met a grandmother yet who wouldn't put her grandchildren ahead of herself in any situation. Please know that my heart goes out to you and your family.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:45 PM   #8  

Andria, I have had great success by planning my calories by the week rather than by the day. As it turns out, I have lost more weight that way but that isn't actually what I like most about doing it (I'm still not convinced the extra weight loss is necessarily related to staggering my calories this way).

What I really like about it is that it gives me a lot more opportunity for variety in my diet. Before I was sticking to 1500 calories a day. Well, there is only so much you can do with a limit like that. I have plenty of favorite foods that aren't unhealthy per say but are a little higher in calories and I couldn't fit them in anywhere without going over 1500 calories a day without starving myself the rest of that day. Typically, that led to me eating too much of that favorite thing I'd been saving up for all day. But by looking at my calories as 10500/week instead of by day I can fit those favorites in by increasing one days calories to 2000 and reducing two days by 250 or 5 day by 100 - however you want to break it up. And what has happened so far is that I have actually ended up averaging LESS than 1500 calories a day by doing this. I think because I am more satisfied overall I'm not frantically making sure that I get every last calorie I am due. Hmm, it just occured to me that that is probably why I lost a little extra weight for the week.

It might not work for everyone but it has really changed my attitude. I feel a lot less like I am on a diet and much more like I'm changing my lifestyle and mentality towards food. I don't know about you guys but I hated the notion that I would spend every day for the rest of my life making sure that I didn't go over a specific number of calories. YUCK!

Skittles - I'm with you one everything you said. But, unfortunately, I am the type of person that if I slip a little I want you guys to forgive me, support me, then give me a swift kick in the pants (not necessarily in that order!). That's how I usually start gaining weight back. Someone will say, "you look so thin" then I think, "thin, hmmm, I'd better go order pizza. And eat it. By myself." Same thing when I slip up- I definately want people to tell me they've been there and understand but then I want them to fuss at me just enough to shake me back to the right place. But, I promise to do my very best not to put any of you in that situation!

I hope you all are having a great day. It is still raining here so we are kooped up inside and bored and I'm trying really hard not to use it as an excuse to stick my hand in a bag of chips. Those damn chips.

Tricia
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:02 PM   #9  
BELIEVE!

My mom passed away this afternoon.

With my dad and brother's support we have decided to go ahead with the procedure on Thursday. Then we will fly to FL Thurs night or Fri morning.
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:44 PM   #10  

Smile

Oh Barb, I am so sad for you.

I am glad you have an understanding Dad and Brother. You all need each other now.

Remember we are here if you need to talk.

Lucky
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:22 PM   #11  

Barb,
My heart goes out to you. I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers. Please know that this group is thinking of you during this difficult time.

Laura
southern gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:49 PM   #12  

Dear Barb,
I'm so sorry to hear that you mom passed away. I lost my mother two years ago, and she had been seriously ill for 2 years in and out of the hospital on a weekly basis. I thought after 2 years I was prepared for her death, her suffering would be over, but I really don't think anything can prepare you for the loss of your mother. Just want you to know that I am thinking of you. I hope your procedure goes well on thursday.
Sounds like you have a wonderful, supportive family.

Well, I've managed to exercise 2 days in a row so far and planning on going tommorrow too. Wooo Hoooo. I'm on a roll. I even have managed to eat pretty well too. I haven't stepped on the scales to check my weight. Felt like it would be up a couple of pounds after the weekend. Tommorrow I will weigh in. I hope to lose 2 lbs for our challenge. Anyway, everyone have a good evening. cheryll
c bo be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:08 PM   #13  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone

BarbPA, I read your first post and had tears in my eyes. By the second one, they spilled over. We are praying for you here on many levels. *HUGS* Damn, I want that procedure to go well for you!

Jawsmom, I am so glad the weekly planning is working for you. It really does make sense.

My WI wasn't too bad today. I was up .5 again. Two steps forward and one back. We discussed our next plan of action and decided to do a few days on the intro plan. Think low'ish carb, high protein. I'm excited because this was exactly what I was hoping for.

I'm hurting pretty bad still from physical therapy today. Man, it is rough right now, but the results are for real. I wish I had more than one visit still. I love the crew over there and am going to miss them horribly.

Tony just logged on, so I'm going to jet off here. Have great evenings!

Andria
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:19 PM   #14  

Smile

Ditto what Andria said:
Quote:
*HUGS* Damn, I want that procedure to go well for you!

I will be praying BIG TIME for you on Thursday!!!
I am still looking for a little sister!!! Okay, or brother!!!!
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:44 PM   #15  
Hang In There

Okay gang, I saw this and though about all of your belly dancing, so I had to share.
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote