Old 02-01-2005, 09:47 AM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default Why we must plan, plan, plan

Today, I had my food all planned out, including my oatmeal for breakfast. When I cam in, one of the girls announced she had bought doughnuts. Oh, well, no biggie. When I entered into the kitchen I realized she had bought KRISPY KREME doughnuts. My favorite. I quickly prepared my oatmeal and got out of there.

My point is that if I had not prepared for the day, I surely would have eaten 1 or 2 of those doughnuts (and then 1 or 2 later on!!)

If you plan for success, your plan will be successful!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #2  
On my way......

I couldn't agree with you more! That happens all the time at my office. I sure couldn't make it through if I didn't always plan everything. I even plan on the weekends or I'll end up at McDonalds or A&W without even thinking about it! Great Job BTW keeping away from those donuts... they are good but you did the right thing. They won't make you feel anywhere close to how you must feel now that you know you don't have to have them!
way2fat4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:10 AM   #3  
Crazy Canuck

Good girl, Sandi!! I know its hard enough for you to withstand temptation just driving past a Krispy Kreme store, let alone having a box within sniffing distance (mind you, I don't get all the hype about Krispy Kreme - I much prefer Tim Hortons ). I applaud your strength and agree totally with the "plan plan plan" mindset! You're doing great, sweetie
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:41 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My favorite quote is "failure to plan is a plan for failure" but yes making sure you bring y our healthier food is always a good thing. I guess I am one of the lucky ones as I don't really care for donuts (krispy kreme included) or fast food. My weaknesses are more on the side of chocolate and nice fresh soft bread.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:01 PM   #5  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Man I could eat a box of those Krispy Kreme donuts!! There isn't one in my area so when we visit my SIL we stop and get a box. I only ate 2 out of the last box, a proud achievement :lol ! I have been doing something similar at my workplace as well, taking my lunch bag instead of hitting the cafe. good job Sandi, you did great in resisting those donuts.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #6  
Live for the Moment!

I'm with ya Sandi - Planning is fundamental in order to succesfully stay on plan. Like last night for example, nothing planned for dinner turned into going out to an East Indian buffet... Had I had something for dinner, no problem - i would have stayed on plan.

I've started bringing my lunch everyday and just eating in our kitchen on my floor, so I don't even have to go into the cafeteria and face temptation.

Great job on passing up those Krispy Kreme's - I don't know if I could have been as strong!!!
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Sandi--that is great that you passed them up!!! WTG.

I agree that for me planning is the key.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:51 PM   #8  

Way to go Sandi! I firmly believe in having a plan when it comes to eating. I know exactly what I'm going to have every day, (probably because most of it is all the same stuff ) and try very hard to plan ahead when we're eating out. If possible I like to know exactly where we're going and what I'll order ahead of time, so when we get there it's a no brainer, and I can just relax and enjoy my meal. I also carry a healthy snack with me at all times, just in case. IMO, being prepared is absolutely one of the most important factors in successful weight loss.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Way to go, Sandi! Plus, when you think about it, that oatmeal is a lot more satisfying in the long run than those donuts would have been!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:49 PM   #10  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

This is sort of planning I guess. Those Lean Cuisine (Weight Watchers and Healthy Choice) frozen meals help me a lot. Since there are only the two of us here now, I don't do a lot of cooking from scratch anymore. I get busy around here, and don't think about what to eat and then all of a sudden I am hungry. With the Lean Cuisines right there in the freezer, I can just choose one, and have something pretty quickly before I eat something bad because I am so hungry. Also, I think it helps me to stay out of the food, by not having to spend as much time in the kitchen (area of temptation). I buy them and stock up when they are on sale. I have quite a variety in the freezer. I usually have them with a little salad ~ makes a nice meal. It sounds stupid, but I like to be able to pick out which ever one strikes my fancy at the moment. Helps, toward making me not feel like I am being deprived or something. Head games I guess ~ but whatever works.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:19 PM   #11  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

That is great Sandi. I'm not a big doughnut fan but when there here in front of me I have a hard time passing them up. So can imagine how hard it is for someone who really loves that type of food. Must be how it is for me with pizza. It does pay to plan.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:31 AM   #12  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Good for you, Sandi!!!

It is very very very VERY hard for me to say no to free food, so kudos to you!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:29 AM   #13  

Great job, Sandi - you should feel really good about saying no to those doughnuts!

As to the planning.....well, I think I might be a lone voice on this one....I'm just not really a planner, in most aspects of life, not just healthy eating......But I do have a kitchen full of healthy food, and no junk/temptation in the house....and I do know where to go for lunch to get a healthy option.....and now that I cook more, I do cook a large quantity of healthy food at a time to live off, and even to freeze.....and I always carry fruit around with me, for an emergency snack.Maybe that counts as planning? I just don't like to plan a day's meals/snacks in advance - and I am pretty good at picking the healthy choices as I go......
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Yaay, Sandi! Krispy Kremes are like crack. Some people (including me) can't handle them at all. A very skinny co-worker brings them to the office sometimes. I can't just eat one, so now I don't have any.

I think I'm mostly with Artist on planning. I plan to have choices, because if I feel deprived, I get testy, and when I get testy, I want to chow down. I bring a week's worth of assorted protein bars to the office on Mondays, and have a variety of low-carb fruit at home. I usually have a snack back of almonds in my purse, so I don't "have" to grab junk food if I'm running around all day. Like Glynne, I have few different types of Lean Cuisines in the freezer, and some leftovers in Tupperware, so when I come home late and don't feel like cooking, I don't "have" to order out.

Restaurants are still a problem. I am a firm believer in head games, too. I try to convince myself that I really feel like a big plate of vegetables, so that when I go to a new place I will look for the healthiest option. It doesn't always work, but it helps. I'm just refusing to go to buffets. Last week someone suggested that a business meeting be at a lunch buffet, and I said that I always overeat at a buffet, and would want to sleep all afternoon. The other person agreed (turned out she's trying to lose weight, too), and we both had lovely soup and salads at a different restaurant. So I'll continue to speak up around what will work for me, and assume that it will work for others, too.
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:58 PM   #15  

One of the conundrums about losing weight is that you have to think about food all the time, well I do. I have one and a half hours travelling time to work, and a great cafeteria full of unhelpful food, so I have to make sure I have plenty of healthy alternatives nearby. My workplace rewards us with food all the time, donuts, cookies, chocolate, chips, it's not good!!! So I always have my favourite fruit, cherries, in my drawer, so I don't feel left out.

Well done on dodging the donuts!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote