Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 01:53 AM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 yr. old #126

Here is the new thread.....................

more descisions..........
this morning I took myself off to the podiatrist.
I have had problems with my feet all my life and would hate to add up the amount of time/money and energy I have spent on trying to get an answer.
I now seem to have the answer, a Morton Neuroma under each foot and my big toes have an extension rate of 5% (normal is 70%). Treatment is to have Neuroma's removed, out of action for a few weeks and have the big toe bone fused. Result all pain is gone but to have the bone fused means a recovery period of approx. 3 months.
I am going home and have a think about it for the next three weeks before deciding to have the lot done. I absolutely love shoes and have a wardrobe full but I always refer to my shoes as 'sitting' shoes as none are all that comfortable to walk any further then from the lounge to the kitchen When I do go for walks I wear old running shoes and can walk for 45 minutes without too much discomfort.
It may be a good thing to have it done here, I don't do housework and can afford the luxury of just sitting around whilst the bone is healing albeit very boring!!!!!
Anyway I will let you know what I decide.

Slavika thank you for that article. I did read it some time ago, good to read it again so I can brush up on my skills
It is unbelievable how we ever thought that way and thought it to be perfectly normal
We have come a long way.
Cheers for now whilst I continue to contemplate my feet
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 07-02-2001 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-02-2001, 12:37 PM   #2  
Life Time 2001

Default Well...........

Slavika: All I can say is.. I guess I will be getting divorced soon!
Dont show the article to my DH. Never done any of those things!

Maria: Hard decision on the feet. But if it will take away the pain it would be worth it in the long run.
Old 07-02-2001, 12:54 PM   #3  
Super Surfer

Default ..a nice Canada Day Weekend..

We had a nice weekend, lots of celebrating around the city. However, last night around 2:00am there were some people with fireworks in the school ground across the street. Quite noisy.
Maria.. Since Morton's Neuroma is a perpetuating factor with Fibromyalgia and Myofascia, I have read about it. My FMS/MS Manual indicates when the foot hurts all the time and walking becomes torture, conservative measures are often not enough and surgery is the only way to go. One person wrote, since the surgery, that the toes are always numb now, but the numbness beats the pain. If you cannot walk for more than 45 min perhaps you should consider having surgery. The 3 months for recovery shouldn't be an issue, that 3 months is going to go by anyway and you would be all healed and ready for your DD's wedding. I know it is a tough decision.

My problems come from FMS/MS... the dampness/ humidity/drafts make my muscles spasm, get tight and swell. Everyone has something the deal with

Slavika..The good wife's guide is such a hoot. Everyone one of the points was outrageous.

Hubby wants to go out for lunch... what's a gal to do? Got to get ready. Have a nice day all....
Old 07-02-2001, 04:32 PM   #4  
Net browser

Default ....end of the Canada Day weekend

Hi Everybody
I did some yard work yesterday, but mostly sat at the computer. I am "STILL" working on my family tree and every once in awhile I get inspired to do something on it. Mostly, though I just surfed and played some games. Later on DH and I went out and rented 2 movies. One was "Space Cowboys", andalthough he didn't watch I really enjoyed it. It's nice to see a movie in this day and age that doesn't have a bunch of sex in it or swear words that almost turn your hair green. ALAS they are few and far between.
DH and I just got back from the "stores" and are now thinking we will go for a nice drive and pick up french fries at a favorite spot of ours and call that dinner. We had planned to go last night but changed our minds.

Maria I'm sorry you are having trouble with your feet. I started having trouble with my toes almost 12 years ago and the doctor just said it was probably arthritis. Well 3 or 4 years ago when I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes then they discovered that my toes bothered me because the diabetes was already affecting the nerve endings in my toes. The thing that is really strange is that even some people who are on insulin (and of course I am not) do not have any trouble with their toes but I do. As long as I have on my New Balance walking shoes or my great Teva sandals I can walk until I am just plain exhausted. My toes bother me mostly at night. Now when I go to bed I I wear socks.....this is very in, trust me on this one. LOL . Ok, so maybe I do look a little silly in a sleeveless nightie because I am warm and yet I wear bed socks. DH, just shakes his head a lot and smiles or talks to himself. hee hee. For what ever reason, it really helps with the yucky tingling sensation. My doctor told me to try it and it was right it helps. Trudy
was right, we all have our little "thingmes" to deal with. That's ok, we all seem to manage very nicely. Lily I did not allow my husband to read the "Woman's Guide". There is absolutely no reason to put thoughtslike that into their heads. YIKES. What did you think of the part where it said, "let him talk first, because of course what he has to say is more important then what you have to say.
I'll stop by later and have a peek. Maybe Margot is away, we sure haven't heard from her in awhile and I miss her.
Old 07-02-2001, 09:37 PM   #5  
Life Time 2001

Default Yes socks are in!

Trudy: Im sure he didnt have to twist your arm to go to lunch! I know I would be there in a flash! Hope you enjoyed it!

Slavika: Actually DH could read it and say "Like any of that will happen in this house!"
His Dad is like that tho. I told him if he ever did some of the stuff his dad pulls on his Mom I would be gone in a minute. His dad Drives me crazy!!!!!

Yes socks are in! I like to wear them to bed to. My footsie get cold dont you know!

Night all!
Old 07-03-2001, 02:19 AM   #6  

G'day all,

I think all of you are right that firstly we all have something not quite how it should be and secondly that to be able to get rid of the continual pain in my feet would just be bliss.

Trudy I am aware that the side effect is numbness in the 3rd and 4th toe. If I walk for any length of time they are numb NOW, it is only after rest that some of the feeling comes back, so I guess that won't be something totally different.
I have decided to go and talk to my General Practioner when I am home, get her opinion and take it from there. I am fairly certain I will go ahead with it but I would just like to get some more confirmation that it is the right thing that I am doing.

Slavika your 'tingling' sensation in your feet sounds very uncomfortable, good you can overcome it a bit with the socks. Yes I do have the picture in my head, sleeveless nightie and socks

Lily I have a father in law like yours. DH is great but every now and then some of his father's behaviours creep in, not for long I can assure you I was watching Dr. Phil today and boy there are some strange husbands about who without having read the article behave exactly like it

Tomorrow night out to dinner with dd and fiancee. I picked up some more bargains today, I cannot resist any table with stuff that says '75% off the already reduced price' I bought some lovely perfume for myself, dd and son's partner, some incense for dd, beautiful package chocolate hearts for dd and just so dh knows I care I bought a beautiful book on how to set up aquariums. It is one of those coffee table books, with some lovely pictures. When we are home for good we would love a nice aquarium so now we have the book to show us how to go about it!

It has been very foggy here and rather chilly. My sister tells me the weather in Adelaide has been magnificent.
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 07-03-2001 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-03-2001, 06:57 AM   #7  

Slavika I have a mental picture of you in your nightie and socks. So they color coordinate? Funny but I also have sore feet. I can't walk for any length of time in sandals - have to wear my walking shoes and socks. I have 2 toes that occasionally go numb. Guess I will have to have that checked out. Maria sounds like you found some good bargains. You certainly can't walk past deals like those. Have a lot to do - will check in later, Peggy
Old 07-03-2001, 08:29 PM   #8  

Default happy 4th of july

to all my American friends here

It is a beautiful, crisp and sunny morning here.

Some years ago through my work, I attended a program called 'Investment in Excellence'. It is a program started up by an American from Seattle, Lou Tice. It is basically a 5 day course teaching you to look at things a little differently. DH and I did it together and it has been a life changing experience for both of us.
To this day I still receive 'The Winner's Circle' each day, a motivational message from Lou Tice.
I liked today's 'Winner's Circle' and thought I would share.

Winner's Circle Network with Lou Tice - 7/3/01 - "The Secret to Success"

Today, I am going to give you the secret of success - in one word.

For over 30 years, I have been studying success. Some of the most successful people in the world have been my students, and I in return, have learned a great deal from them. I have also spent a lot of time in the company of some of the world's most respected research psychologists, talking about what makes some people succeed and others collapse - the difference, in short, between the cans and the can-nots, and the dos and the do-nots.

So after all these years of studying and researching, I can tell you one thing with the utmost confidence - the secret of success is attitude.
That's it - attitude. And it isn't really a secret.

People who succeed don't have fewer problems than other people. They don't start out with greater brainpower, or better parents, or more money, either.
As a matter of fact, sometimes they start out working against incredible odds. But they have a way of looking at things, a way of seeing obstacles as possibilities, and a way of hanging in there, and making the most of every opportunity, that almost guarantees success.

They are flexible, optimistic and hard working. If you want to sum it up in a word, it is not difficult to do: success is, more than anything else and without a doubt, a question of attitude. What is your attitude?

- Lou Tice
The Pacific Institute - "Celebrating 30 Years 1971 - 2001!"
http://www.loutice.com

I hope you liked it, have a great day.
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 07-03-2001 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2001, 12:57 AM   #9  

Maria, liked the article. I have a neuroma on my right foot and bunions on both feet. I can tolerate the bunions as long as i wear low, wide, and ugly shoes. Well, ugly compared to what I used to wear. The neuroma is another story. No shoe is pain free. However, every time I get to the point that I am considering surgery I think about being in recovery for 3 months or more. I had a friend who had the surgery and was still limping 6 months later. Then, has anybody told you that neuromas are like ganglion cysts? They can return. Sooooooooo, I think about recovery time (that would mean no gym for 3 months[impossible thought], reoccurence, and very likely permanent numbness (as opposed to the temporary kind), and I decide that I can cope a little longer. Really, Maria, my friend was really limping 6 months later. You might want to postpone the surgery till after the wedding in case you are one of those who requires a longer healing time.

Haven't been online in several days. Will have to go back tomorrow and see what I've missed. It sounds like a funny article about the ideal wife. Been looking for the house. We have about decided to build one. Now I have to decide which upgrades I can live without and which ones I have to have.

We went to a concert in the Botanical Gardens tonight. All American and patriotic music----complete with John Phillips Sousa finale accompanied by an outstanding fireworks display. Really nice evening. We took a picnic (if you consider shrimp coctail, cheese tray, and fruit salad picnic food). We are going to another concert there Thursday night. It will be Glenn Miller music. Should be nice.

Have a nice 4th everyone.
Old 07-04-2001, 08:57 AM   #10  

Default Happy 4th of July

Have been MIA for a while . Life has a way of getting away from you sometimes.

For starters one day last week my dad went out to check on my Moms cousin she was 85 and found that she had pasted away in her sleep about a week before. Not pretty. She was a deaf person who prefered being left alone. Hasn't let any one into her house in over 20 years. I guess you could have called her a recluse. Well now we know why she wouldn't let any one in her house. There is wall to wall garbage in there. So that is our 4th of July project . We are all meeting out there to clean up the place. Not looking forward to it but it does have to be done.

Also a week ago DH went into our clinic for a blood test . The first girl stuck him and got no blood so she calls over someone else and the next person was digging around and finally got a tube of blood. Long story short yesterday he notices his arm is sore and a red bruise with a bright red streak going up his arm. You guessed it blood poisoning. Needless to say he is on medication . His doctor is raising **** in that lab. I still can't beleive it.

Maria I am copying yur article and plan to use it at my meetings

Slavika the one you posted I had seen a while back but had for gotten it. Now there is another lifetime. I don't remember ever being that submissive. Anyone else? There was a time early in my marriage that I may have thought some of those things were the right thing. Sure learned fast that ain't real life.

Well got to get dressed and get going .Talk to you guys later.

Karen
Old 07-04-2001, 09:07 AM   #11  

Happy Fourth of July Have a great day to everyone who celebrates it. It is pouring down rain here. We rented a stump grinder to remove 5 tree stumps and sure hope that we get to use it. Geri I like your picnic food. How exciting to build a house. What kind do you want? Maria thanks for the inspiration. Attitude is what it is all about. See you all tomorrow. Karen, what a job. Hope that your husband is o.k.

Last edited by painter5; 07-04-2001 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-04-2001, 05:44 PM   #12  
Life Time 2001

Default Happy July 4th!!

Maria: I liked the
"The Secret to Success". Sounds like a great class you took. Would be interesting to check out.

Geri: Building a new house would be nice to. I got to pick all the stuff I wanted in my house and it was a lot of fun. Got what I wanted, and Im still happy with it. Sounds like a good picnic to me!

Karen: Oh how sad about your Mom's Cousin. Dont envy you on the clean up tho. Thats really to bad that she lived like that. Your poor DH! You dont expect that to happen when you go get blood work done. Poor guy.

Peggy: You should probably be glad its raining. You dont want to do that kind of stuff on a Holiday! Relax!

Hope everyone has a great 4th!
Old 07-04-2001, 07:08 PM   #13  

G'day all

Hope you all had a great 4th of July.
Sorry to hear yours was somewhat of a nightmare Karen , that is so sad for the cousin to have ended life like that and of course for you guys, what a task to clean up. How annoyed your dh must be with having blood poisoning due to incompetent nursing staff

Glad you liked the message I 'cut and pasted'. When I come across another one that I think is a particularly good one, I will post again. I don't know about how Canadians feel about Americans but I know in Australia Americans can be perceived as knowing it all and knowing everything better Anyway when the company I worked for made it compulsary for all their managers to attend this live-in seminar for 5 days, it was not well received. The seminar I did was all men, I was the only woman, a little daunting to say the least. The seminar consisted of videos presented by Lou Tice and then discussion etc. afterwards. I have to say when Lou Tice first opened his mouth and his American accent was very obvious, the muttering and groans of 'not another American telling us what we should do' was heard thoughout the group. In the first day, everyone had changed their view and without exception the whole group benefited greatly from the experience. I was lucky enough to go on and do the facillitators course.
So if you have a chance, have a look around his website, he is a most amazing, compasionate person and has so much to share.

Geri thank you for your thoughts on the neuroma. I am again amazed how many of us have foot problems I am told that to remove neuromas (under both feet) is not that long for recovery, it is the condition of 'hallux rigidus' that will take 3 months to get over. It is the fusing of the bone of the big toe that takes time to heal. I am sooooooo sick of having painful feet that whilst I haven't totally made up my mind, I am very tempted to get it done and I should be fine by summer. The other reason is that, the condition is not going to improve and I figure the younger I am to have it done, the quicker the recovery.
I am aware they can grow back but the podiatrist said it was very unlikely. I will keep you posted. By the way how old was your friend who had the long recovery?
The concert you attended sounds like bliss and the picnic, very nice

Packing today, might check in later.
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 07-04-2001 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2001, 07:33 PM   #14  

Default I should be packing...........

Peggy I just found this very interesting site on 'foot problems', thought you may want to have alook.
http://www.medicalmultimediagroup.co..._problems.html

Cheers
Maria
Old 07-04-2001, 07:47 PM   #15  
Net browser

Default ..Happy July 4th

Hi Everybody
Maria Hi there. I loved your posting of the "Secret to Success". When I was out to lunch with my friend today, I was saying you can't blame everything that goes wrong in your life on "YOUR" Mother or your Father. I have a male cousin who is almost 60 and his whole adult life he blamed every bad thing he experienced on the fact that his Mother died when he was 15 yrs old. It was sad, of course, but he went through his entire life talking about what he didn't have instead of rejoicing in what he DID have. You bet "attitude" means a lot. Now about your boo-boo feet..........(1) they will not get better on there own. (2) The younger you are when you have surgery the easier it is on you. (3) So what if it takes 3 months or 4 months for them to heal...... THEY WILL HEAL!!!
Just because they take some time to heal I don't think that means you will be bedridden. It just means you will be limping around a bit, but in your heart you know the situation is just going to get better. Have a really good talk with your doctor when you go home and see what he/she recommends. So what do you think, did I give you good advise? LOL

Geri My DH sometimes suggests we build a house too. We would move if we could find a nice bungalow (but I want to stay close to where I am now), and anything newer and nicer is usually a 2 story and that I don't want.
Karen GEEZ, your poor Dad, walking in on a situation like that and now you guys have to face the clean up. I hope your DH is doing ok now after his bad experience.
Peggy did the rain finally stop, and where you able to grind those stumps down. We had some big cedar trees removed and boy do those grinders ever work well.
Lily and Trudy what were you up to today?? Nice seeing you at tea yesterday Trudy in your pretty denim jumper....you always look nice..........you always look nice to
LILY .
"Talk" to you all tomorrow. Night.

I'm back: Hi Maria, I just went and read the site you posted on "Foot problems", that seemed to be not to bad of a surgery to have, what did you think???

Last edited by slavika; 07-05-2001 at 01:00 PM.
Closed Thread