Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 08:45 AM   #1  

Height: 5'-2"

Lightbulb Rewards!!

Oh, SweetPea, thanks for the suggestion for the thread... we've done this before, and it's a great idea!

So... what will/do you reward yourself with when you have a weight loss? I tend to reward myself with food.
Let's come up with some great ideas, gals!!

I tend to buy books whenever the heck I feel like it, but I have to start budgeting better, so...

- at my weekly weigh-in, if I've lost weight, I will allow myself to hit the bookstores the following day
Old 01-23-2005, 02:50 PM   #2  

Default reward ideas

Thanks Ellis for starting this thread.
For rewards, I have been thinking about several idea. Actually just THINKING about rewards, deciding on choices helps keep my mind busy and helps steer me away from going off my program.
I like to read, so I jot down book suggestions when I read critics in the newspaper or magazine. SInce they are just released, they are mostly in hardback,,,which can be expensinve. BUT, I think that makes a great reward for a 5 or 10 pound loss. And you can keep yourself busy reading when you might be snacking.
Sweetpea
Old 01-24-2005, 09:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

REWARDS = SHOES!!

Got a new pair yesterday - cute pair of black Timberland boots.

Tiki.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:31 PM   #4  
Gotta move my Thang!

I make weekly goals for myself, and if I meet them (there's usually a diet one and an exercise one) each is worth $5 in the "fun jar." The jar is a reward that is not food or cooking-related, so no kitchen gadgets or 10 lb blocks of baking chocolate allowed. Right now I'm up to about $40. I have been saying that I can use the cash in the jar once it hits $50, so if I'm really good this week, and do my exercise, I'll get to go shopping next week! Yay!

I'm learning to knit and I love to sew and make beaded jewelry. Crafty things help me not eat while watching TV. Really nice yarn is pricey (who knew?) so I'll probably devote the jar to some wonderful, fluffy soft, natural-fiber yarn and maybe needles.

Before the knitting kick, I was planning to use the jar for a session of hot-tubbing, or perhaps a massage if I could hold out until I could afford it. Other things I've thought of were books, music, and computer games. New clothes in my new size would wait until my second jarful.

Ciao!
Solarmama

Last edited by solarmama; 01-24-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:36 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Great ideas!

I am not sure what I want to do yet - I'll be back later ......
Old 01-24-2005, 03:15 PM   #6  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikanique
REWARDS = SHOES!!

Got a new pair yesterday - cute pair of black Timberland boots.

Tiki.
shoes! yes I will definately make my big reward shoes...like a 20 lb loss=new shoes

5-10 lb loss=a book
Old 01-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #7  
Head Princess

I love rewards! Shoes became a necessity for me because I dropped a shoe size I've done little things, like pedicures, a trip the the Clinique counter, new jewelry, a tiara. Whatever - as long as it makes me feel good/attractive.

Surprisingly enough, the biggest reward so far didn't cost a thing. I went to a big all day rock concert and crowd surfed for the first time (all the way up to the 15th or 20th). It was so wonderful to not be worried about hurting someone

I do plan on buying myself a free standing full length mirrow when I get to my goal.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #8  

Height: 5'-2"

I love the "fun jar" idea, Solar! I may try that!
Old 01-25-2005, 09:56 AM   #9  
Gotta move my Thang!

Thanks Ellis - it's been fun to do it so far. I always make a little ceremony out of putting the week's earnings into the jar (not last week, though - I missed BOTH my goals! Oy!). The DH and I do a little dance before we go to bed, and I hum an idiotic song, and then we snap the bills and grandly stuff them in the jar. I'm sure the DH thinks I'm totally insane, but he goes along with it and we always fall into bed laughing, so it's probably a good kind of insane.

My only problem is that I'm indecisive as to what to get with the jar money! But it's fun to daydream about what I would want.

Let me know if it works for you!
Solarmama
Old 01-25-2005, 11:55 AM   #10  

Being on a student budget has made me have to get creative about my rewards. Face it, food is a cheap easy reward. I use rewards to keep me going on my school projects, house cleaning and fitness goals.

For achieving smaller goals massages are one of my favorite rewards (I get 'em cheap at the student health center). Before I got unlimited long distance I used phone calls to far away friends. I also really like cute office supplies. A $5 trip to a thrift store is a good one too, I never know what I'll end up with. There's also the used CD rack for that matter.

For bigger goals I'm a shoe gal too. I really love Zappos.com for this addiction. When I finish my MA paper I'm going to buy myself a pair of really extravagent boots from Camper. I've wanted a pair of their boots forever!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:59 AM   #11  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Star- crowd surfing!!!! what a great achievement!
Old 01-25-2005, 01:45 PM   #12  
Head Princess

Thanks, Mauvairoux! It was a very cool feeling when some guy grabbed my by the waist and just launched me over the crowd. It was the first time in I don't know how long that I felt light!
Old 01-25-2005, 03:53 PM   #13  
a brave new me...

Thumbs up Rewards

When I achieved my New Year's goal, I purchased this gorgeous fuscia leather purse... totally a splurge but I love it! I use it as often as I can. Lets see, my next goal weight is 160 and since I am obsessed with purses maybe I will splurge on another. Or shoes. Other possibilities are a day at the spa, having my teeth professionally whitened, jewelry... of course when I reach my final goal weight, DH informed me that he wants to take me to New York for a shopping spree. Whoo hooo! Now that is a great reward for a shopaholic and fashionista like me.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:03 PM   #14  
Pending Email Confirmation

My biggest reward is going to be getting some new clothes. And fun clothes. I can't wait til I can go in a regular store and buy something. Even if it's an extra large. I just wnat to be out of the two fat stores in town. Cause I'm not old and I don't go to church and I don't want to dress like either!
I am a book girl and am constantly reading, so a book is a good reward too.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:47 AM   #15  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Talking Heehee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmama
The DH and I do a little dance before we go to bed, and I hum an idiotic song, and then we snap the bills and grandly stuff them in the jar.
This is awesome! What a picture... thanks!

I'm thinking of making myself a scrapbook to track my progress, and along the way, paste all those tempting things from catalogs in there too! Like the clothes and shoes and jewelry from the J. Jill catalog. Mmmm, drool! Also stick in some pretty magazine photos, poetry, thoughts, rants, etc.

My reward I think is going to be some really tarty clothes And some retro 40's style heels, love those!
Closed Thread