South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 12:53 PM   #1  

Default Anyone ever try colon cleansing or Colonic/Colonix?

All my life I've suffered from constipation. I go to the bathroom once, maybe twice a week and it's always just a little something (I hope this isn't too much info! ewww!)

Even now, drinking TONS of water (at least 80-90oz) per day, and consuming about 70% veggie diet, I STILL don't go. For the last two nights I've taken 3 Colace and still nothing.

I've done some researching on the net and from what I read, it's normal to go 2-3X a day! WOW! I'm starting to wonder...maybe I have blockage or something.....

I'm thinking of trying Colonics/Colonix. Anyone have any feedback/opinions/stories to share?

TGIF!
Old 01-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Everyone's "normal" is different. I am "normal" according to my doctor and I go once a day and skip some days. I know there is a thread somewhere in here about this cleansing thing. I'll see if I can find it. It sounds pretty darn drastic to me!
What does your doctor say?
Old 01-21-2005, 01:08 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

Here ya "go"! Beware of info on the net. Where did you find "normal"?
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...olon+cleansing
Old 01-21-2005, 01:35 PM   #4  

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I found the 'normal' info on www.drnautra.com. Actually, all the info. on the site just freaked me out! I barely kept down my lunch! EEK!

No, I haven't spoken to my Dr. about my problem yet. I guess that should be what I should do first - before buying any cleansing products. I just expect that he'll say 'eat more fiber/drink more water' - which I do plenty!

Shezzz, what does a girl to do around here to be able to poo?!
Old 01-21-2005, 01:46 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

Well, Colonix is a Registered Trademark of DrNatura.com Inc. so they are pushing it.
Buyer beware and please don't mess with your body.
Have you run your food through www.fitday.com to see exactly how much fiber you are getting? Then you will have some solid info for your doc if you decide to go that route.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #6  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

I too am like you Berlin. DH thinks I'm abnormal. LOL I am fine with it. I too sometimes have to take Colace without success so then I take Ex-lax. That clears me right up. UGH! I hate doing that but sometimes I just have to. Maybe you can try that? I take two just so I am assured a response. Works like a charm.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:36 PM   #7  
A Lily from my yard!

I have the same problem and I did go to a doc one time about it and he told me to take about 6 lax and that should help! It did for that day but....? He was what I called my horse doctor. lol I only went to him for lil things. If I thought I was really sick I went to a "real" doc. lol He is now retired. I have noticed that when I eat right and stay true to plan with the veggies and all I am more "regular". My husband gives me a hard time about my bathroom habits as well!
Old 01-21-2005, 03:43 PM   #8  
GARDENING ADDICT

Try taking an occassional Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc tablet. The magnesium will help you go without bloating like the fiber stuff can do.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:56 PM   #9  

Well, after some thought, I'm not going to try the Colonix. But my gosh, have you seen the pics on that site -eeekk! I would freak out if anything like that came out of my body! What is that stuff???? It looks like intestine?!

As suggested, I think I'm gonna try the Ex-lax. Colace doesn't seem to be helping after 3 pills for 2 days. Also, I ate chili w/kidney beans last night (hoping to get the ball rolling) and had 2 cups of black coffee this morning (as suggested by my husband) AND I've downed about 80oz. of water so far today.....

Ugh!

Thanks for your feedback! TGIF!
Old 01-21-2005, 04:29 PM   #10  

Height: 5'-2"

Berlin, I've thought about doing a cleanse. I'm lucky to be a 3 or 4 a dayer (TMI), but I still wonder what's going on in there.
I'd still talk to your doctor about it, though.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Berlin, I know the feeling. I have had troubles in that department since I had Salmonella at 13. I take metamucil capsules every day and ensure I get beans daily. It does help a little.

Have you tried taking a stool softener? My doctor recommended them and many people I know, including my mom, have been on them for years, even though the boxes say not to take them for longer than 2 weeks. Of course, I would check with your doctor before taking them longer, but you might want to try them before you do ex-lax or another laxative. Okay?

Take care of yourself and keep doing the things you are doing! Also, exercise helps your intestines move things through, so make sure you are getting enough exercise!
Old 01-21-2005, 04:47 PM   #12  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

If you by chance aren't getting enough fiber, there are those fiber chewables..they are disgusting though.. LOL I am going to see if they might have them in a pill form. I take the supplements as well as an occassional ex-lax.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:42 PM   #13  

Have you thought about increasing your dose of seeds like flax seeds, sprinkling them on your breakfast to help cleanse the bowel. If you are concerned you can go and see a naturopath or go to a good health store and they can recommend some fibre supplements that helps cleanse the bowel - gently! I have concerns about using chemicals.

I think that if you look at your eating and determine that you are actually eating enough fibre and that you aren't experiencing bloating or cramping from it then it may simply be how your body works.

Just as a little note... do you experience very bad mentrual cramping? If so - this can sometimes be assisted by flushing the bowel, by increasing vegies, drinking 3 litres of water per day and taking a zinc and magnesium supplement.. this is from a gyno... She reckons that many women that experience bad periods, also tend to be women that have constipation and bowel issues. Alot of the pain is relieved by getting healthier in regards to bowel action..

Phew... its amazing what us gals can talk so openly about!
Old 01-22-2005, 09:12 AM   #14  

Smile Flax

I would definitely give flax seeds a try. Just be sure to grind them or buy the ground flax. Whole flax seeds do not break down in the body so you don't get the nutritional benefits and can actually be damaging to your intestines. I use ground flax in muffins, breads, on cereal, or mixed in orange juice. It's a great way to increase the fiber in your diet and really does work to help get things moving through your body. A nice side effect - it's great for the skin. I discovered the benefits of flax when I had a severe case of eczema a few years ago. It cleared up the eczema and I've had no problems since. I only use flax occassionally now but did use it on a daily basis. I like because it's not expensive, goes a long ways and it's a natural food source. I used to order it online and that was really good stuff but I've found it at Dillons with the other specialty types of ground soy flour, etc. - I think it is the Red Mill brand. Here's some more facts about flax:

http://www.eco-vie.com/flax_facts.html

Hope this helps!
Old 01-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #15  
Come on Spring!

All good advice. I hope it works for you, Berlin.
I think we've covered this topic pretty thoroughly so I am going to close this thread.
PM me if you think there's anything to add.
Closed Thread