Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-03-2005, 02:09 PM   #1  

Default weight loss magazines

Does anyone find those weight loss magazines helpful? I love love love them! Especially weight watchers magazine and self/shape...they give great tips and recipes!
solesistah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #2  

Height: 5'1"

I think that weightloss magazines are very inspirational. (for me that is) WW is one of the best for the before and after....I like being able to find one that has my stats. That way I can see that it IS possible to lose!!

I think I'm a magazine junky.....have so many of them. I took boxes and boxes of them to the recycling one year because I had too many!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:49 PM   #3  

I also find them to be incredibly motivating. I am currently a graduate student so in addition to be poor I don't like to buy them because I will end up ignoring schoolwork to read them.

I find it better to just read the before and after stories offered in Shape magazine.

Lisa
lisagsxr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #4  
singletrack chick

i read fitness. i used to read self, until it turned into a how celebrities stay fit type magazine. i think that a lot of those magazines send mixed messages about being happy with the way you look, only to have the pages plastered with models and ads for diet pills. i love the recipes in the back and i rip out all the workouts and keep them in a binder. i call it my personal trainer in a book.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #5  
Onward and downward!

Smile

Hi,

I buy Weight Watchers magazine, I always get one or two recipes from each issue that become family favourites. I also buy Shape, it has great workout tips and routines. I get inspiration from the success stories in both magazines.
Lucia-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:11 AM   #6  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I get the WW magazine - I like the before and afters, the menu planners and the recipes. I also like their articles on exercise.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:23 AM   #7  

I just bought my first WW mag. and I am HOOk!!!!!!!!! I love the articles in this issue and the recipes sound great. I think I am going to sign up for a year that way I don't have to get it at our local store since the mags are next to the junk food.(too tempting for me) If anyone has any other mag. suggestions I would love to hear them so I can check out those mags. also
scorpiobby20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

I'm an avid reader of Shape and Fitness, sometimes Self and Weight Watchers. They all go on a bit too much about celebrities, and devote too many "articles" to recommending products to buy. Prevention tends to be a lot more down-to-earth, if you don't mind the somewhat forced perkiness of the writing. After a while, all the articles kinda run into each other. But I need the constant reinforcement. I read a magazine as soon as I get it, and then keep it in a basket of 'old' issues to read and toss on the treadmill, in the bathtub, or wherever. Sometimes something that didn't have much meaning to me in January really speaks to me in April. Anything more than six month old gets tossed, if it got a second read or not.

I love reading success stories. I have a file folder of the ones that I can really relate to. I hope that when I fall of the wagon or hit a major plateau (and it's inevitable that I will), that I'll remember to pull out the file and let these women be an inspiration for me!

judy
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:33 PM   #9  

That file is a good idea! The success stories are my fav part of magazines. I love the before and after photos.
Gitterdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:41 PM   #10  
Get Moving :)

S/C/G: S/C/G: 220/133/120

Height: 5"2

Hi..
I love weightloss and fitness mags..i must buy 4 or 5 a month..Shape,Self and Fitness are my faves....

Vanessa
Vanessa_40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #11  

Cool

I haven't been able to find Weight Watcher's magazine lately at Walgreen's or the newsstand. I love the before and after stories and will usually pick up a magazine if there is one on the cover. I occasionally buy Women's Day if its got a cover story about big weight loss. I like People's articles too. I save the articles in a binder and look at them every so often for inspiration. I don't much care for Shape and Self. They cater to 20 and 30-year olds who only need to lose a few lbs. I'm too old and too fat.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:46 PM   #12  

I love all those magazines too! I try to follow some of the workouts they have, but sometimes it's hard. I like the 20 minute ones though that you can do in your own home..I try to do them in front of the tv
lovemychocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:25 PM   #13  

I love Self mangazine. I have not read Weight Watchers, but I've heard great things about it. In the past, I was an avid Shape reader. Have not in some time, but I have found that Self adds a little bit more to the magazine than just diet & fitness information, here's also a good mix of women's health & beauty information. I think I'll check out Shape, b/c it has been a while. An extremely fit friend is a Fitness subscriber and I've liked what I've seen.
txlawchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 144/137/128

Height: 5 ft. 4.5 in.

I like to read these magazines on machines like the stationary bike or elliptical. Can't do it on the treadmill, though, although I've seen people reading novels on them. I have to read something light and these magazines give me motivation and incentive.
Musicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:51 PM   #15  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Another fan of the WW magazine here. Been subscribing to it for a while now and it about the only one I read. I like to see the befores & afters and all the tips and recipes. January/February's issue is a great one!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote