Old 12-14-2004, 10:30 AM   #1  
PamPSM644

Lightbulb Busy Hands-Empty Mouths

Sheila has a good thread going about bad habits. It came to me while answering that another one might be usefull on ideas to change those bad habits.How do we keep our hands busy in ways that aren't allowing them to be filling our mouths? I would snack will watching TV. I now put jigsaw puzzles together but am open to other ideas sence this is getting a wee bit old.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:56 AM   #2  

Good idea!!

In my case, since i'm not really a TV addict (except maybe for the Simpsons ;o) ) eating while watching TV is not a problem. However, this does not solve the problem of keeping our hands busy....

I was reading some very interesting blogs linked to this forum (DJ06, Howie.....), so i just started one, to keep those fingers out of the fridge...

Here is the link:

http://blogue_a_sylvain.monblogue.com/
frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

At work while eating lunch I crochet. I've got two afghans left to finish for Christmas so I need all the extra time I can get on them. While watching TV at home and usually about 30 minutes before bed, I do the same. I'm hoping to finish my sons within the next day or two so I can really get started in Lilly's.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:55 PM   #4  
jammin on the bandwagon

S/C/G: 245/slider/145

What a great thread. I currently don't do anything but watch tv when I watch tv. I could start beading or drawing or making chain mail again though. Yep I think I will. Great idea thanks!
shhambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 05:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Hmmm.. I like crossword puzzles.. they keep my mind and hands occupied. I also play the piano (or used to) and i think maybe doing that might help; i'm also learning to play the guitar. it'lls at least keep me somewhat busy. I wish I could learn to crochet!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I've started a Move your caboose thing at work. At lunch, I put in my walk away the pounds tape and invite anyone in the office to join me. I've actually had 3 takers! So that keeps me pretty busy at work during lunch. My trouble time is over the weekend, because I'm baking cookies and getting stuff ready for the holidays and parties. I love to bake. I have also noticed that I like to pick at food. I try to keep busy in the evening with surfing the net, or finding an area (like cabinets, drawers and closets) that needs extra cleaning or organization. Geesh, at this rate, I'll have the cleanest and most organized place this side of the Mississippi!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I used to knit a long time ago, and I've been thinking about doing that again to keep my hands busy. However, I can't remember how to cast on or purl. Anybody learn to knit from a book? I'm going to see if there's a knitting for dummies book available--there seems to be a dummies book for ever other subject!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:15 PM   #8  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

I had thought about knitting or crocheting something too. Do any of you know of like an organization where you could make lap robes or little small afgans and then donate them?
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:53 PM   #9  
Abby's Mommy

Gayle,
You can go to www.lionbrand.com and they have a link for something like prayer shawls that you can donate. Also, you can call your local hospital to see if they need anything for the nursery. I've made some things for our hospital...caps and preemie caps, and small blankets. Some places need things like booties and socks, or even gowns and buntings if you know how...I dont...wish I did. Im sure thay'll love whatever you make for them!

Last edited by Ivanna B. Skinny; 12-14-2004 at 10:55 PM.
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Sheila-- You can go here http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/knitting/index.html and they have videos to show you how to do the stuff. I needed a refresher on half double crochet and triple treble crochet for my daughter's afghan. The videos showed me how to do the stitches and hers is moving right along.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:30 PM   #11  

I write and surf the net. I went and saw National Treasure and am now on this self education kick in the wild hope that one day I will be clever enough to find a multibillion dollar treasure. *drool*
Anyway, most everything is unpacked so I will be taking up my crosstitching again. As far as donating items, just about any shelter will take what you have to give. They always need stuff to keep people warm. Contact the ones in your area
dharmaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 05:27 PM   #12  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

I am working on (crocheting) an afghan for my daughter ~ it is helping keeping my hands busy in the evenings ~ I am enjoying it.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:38 PM   #13  

Often times local hospitals will willingly accept knit caps for new born babies, the hospital my sons were born at do this. They are really alot nicer than the tube hats...
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote