General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 03:33 PM   #1  

Default Body For Life #9

If you are wondering what the heck is body for life, read this post and get an idea. If you're thinking of starting or have questions, just ask away!!! We are more than happy to answer. Read Our Introductory Material for a feel for the program, look at our transformations (my link is in this note and MrsJim's in her sig at the end of her posts) and follow some of the links...but join our happy little family here on 3FC

Check this post for general information about :
1. Body for Life (what it is and how it works).
2. BFL links (Please let me know if you have more!) and
3. a short critique by Mrs. Jim at the end of week 3 (who is about to finish her first challenge and I'd like an update from her to put here...but week 3 is a critical time and her comments are important for newcomers to BFL)

BFL eating program in a nutshell (see book for more details):
six meals a day 2-3 hours apart consisting of balanced (or close to balanced) protein/carb using fist/palm method of measurement.
Recommended grams per day: divide lean body weight by 6 and that is how much carbs/protein you should have at each meal but it tends to correspond to your palm (protein) and fist (carbs). Add green veggies to 2 meals per day. Drink 8-10 glasses of water per day.

Because of the six meal requirement, some people find it convenient to have Meal Replacement Drinks and/or Bars on hand. This is not a requirement but a convenience.

Meal Replacement Shakes and Bars (Shakes are better IMHO). Look for good ratios of protein to carb and low sugar (Myoplex by EAS and Met Rx not anything like Slimfast

Vitamins: suggest multivitamin

Supplements: l-glutamine for faster muscle recovery and immune system (this is not required but almost standard fare on BFL)

Supplements optional: many options but few (other than creatine) that is standard fare.

Workout schedule (see book for more details): 47-60 minutes intense (using supersetting and drop sets) weight trainining 3 times a week working lower and upper body on different days.

20 minutes intense interval cardio 3 x a week (see the BFL book)

Free Day: One day a week no workout and eat any thing you please, as much as you please.

Rest: 12 weeks of program with one day of rest each week and then one week of rest between each 12 weeks.

Mental requirements: commitment and dedication

Body for life Links

~~~My own page with Before and Afters from Challenge One!

http://home.att.net/~s_j_e/bflweek10.htm

AND

'round the net bfl links:

http://*************.com/group/bodyforlife

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifeplus
(for plus women)

http://www.hussman.com/eas/

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

http://www.leanandstrong.com/

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifewomensclub
(for women)

http://www.eas.com

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlife

http://www.bflrecipes.bigstep.com

http://www.bflsupport.com

http://www.gymamerica.com/gti/exerc...ted_demo_index/
(Thanks Christie!)

http://www.planetkc.com/exrx/Lists/Directory.html

http://bodybuilding.about.com/recre...ing/?once=true&

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/BootCamp.asp
(AB BOOTCAMP!!!)

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
(HIIT)

From BFL #3 Thread: Mrs. Jim's critique at the end of Week 3

Woo! Today's end of Week 3...
...I'm feeling great - my arms are sore (not unbearably so) from yesterday's UBWO...

For the remaining 9 weeks, I've downloaded and printed copies of the progress reports, then written down the strength training routines, with the dates on top (not the planned weight to lift though - I write that in the night before). Each week, I'll pull out the three strength training routines for that particular week and put them on my refrigerator to grab on my way to the gym each morning!

My opinion is, if you want to truly succeed at losing weight in any case - not just BFL - it requires some advance planning, reading/researching, etc. When you're considering a weight-loss/fitness plan, don't just go blindly into it. Do some reading and research. Talk to people (on line or in person) about how they've done on the plan - preferably those who have done the plan in the past, or for more than a few weeks. Ask yourself "Can I stay on this plan for X amount of weeks? Will I be able to KEEP the weight off? Can I afford to do this?"

Let's face it, BFL isn't for everyone (though I would strongly encourage all to give it a look!), just like WW or other plans don't work for everyone. It's important to find a plan you can live with for an extended period of time!

The things that appealed to me about BFL were:

*The structure of the plan - I've lifted weights in the past, but didn't have an actual routine to make them more effective. I like the way BFL's weight training is set up and timed - it's fast paced and actually enjoyable!

*Even though I'm doing less cardio than in the past (where I would typically spend 80 minutes on the EFX, followed by 5 minutes on the treadmill and 10-15 minutes lifting weights, six or seven days a week, in addition to long hilly bike rides on the weekends) I find I'm getting more out of it. My typical BFL cardio workout day consists of doing the 20 minute solution (using a HRM to monitor my intensity), THEN doing a 40-minute easy 'jog' keeping my HR low (120-140 HR) just because I enjoy it...I still do my Friday Spin class but only after my strength training and usually only stay for the first 35 minutes (primarily because of my work schedule).

*Another great thing is the FREE DAY...can't say enough about it. It's kind of exciting to plan what I'm going to be eating on Sunday! In addition, Jim and I usually go cycling or are out and about, so it's not like I'm hanging around the house pigging out...I still don't know what I want tomorrow...we did Mexican last week...maybe Italian??

Well, gotta go - my Myoplex is ready! Later...

Old 06-28-2001, 03:40 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Great - a new thread!!

Just hopped off the L&S board to find this thread.

I was going to say something about the wonderful post by Julie that is in today's www.leanandstrong.com message board, but they tend to slip by so quickly, I don't think she'd mind if I posted the text here.

First an explanation - in BFL #8 thread, there was some discussion regarding 'tweaking' the BFL program. I read this post and it really summed everything up to a T. Susanje, I know you saw this since you responded as well!

Quote:
I'm on my platform but you may not like what I'm going to say.

First, to those who say this isn't a BFL board, let me say this. After one who has made a conscious decision to begin BFL has completed a challenge, they may then tweak and do anything their little hearts desire. But if you came on board to be supported in accomplishing the BFL principles and program, here's what I've got to say.

I've noticed of late many who've had some great successes on their first challenge, but have added cardio and made adjustments to the Nutrition-for-LIFE from the get-go. I don't know if this was on advice from a Personal Trainer, or perhaps seeing someone's results that had been through several challenges and eventually incorporated some tweaks. But I do want y'all to know that this is NOT a good idea during your first challenge. Yes, it may look good on the scale, but we know better, right? Tell your trainer it's your way or the highway. It's your body and your life.

It may take a little bit longer to achieve the results you want, but remember tons of research and experience went into the plan as is. EAS gives advice and now will tell you what you want to hear; they just want to keep you purchasing their products and will give you the answers that make it easier. But trust those who have been here and been through it. Between us, we've tried ALL the weight-loss and/or bodybuilding programs out there and they'll all tell you that BFL is the one they always go back to. As written by Bill Phillips, not modified by EAS or MM.

Yeah, you'll drop weight faster doing extra cardio or cutting carbs at night. But are you looking for the quick fix to make the damned scale happy? Or are you doing this to build a state-of-the-art fat-burning machine? We're here to become lean and strong, not skinny fat people, right? Don't sacrifice your lean body mass!

Now get out there, do your 20 minutes, no more and no less. Lift your weights to failure and push for those 10s. Eat clean and don't forget those quality carbs to transport that protein to your beautiful muscles. They will thank you for it.

Remember, you've taken the plunge for LIFE. Why did you choose to do BFL in the first place?
Hope that puts a spark in y'all!

Oh by the way, my home page sorely needs updating - plan to do it after completing my first Challenge on 12 July! Til then if you want to see my 8 week progress pix, just go to my profile at www.leanandstrong.com! Take care!
Old 06-28-2001, 08:24 PM   #3  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default Hey MrsJim~~~

I have a question. I have been researching glutamine and want to order some in powder form that I can add to my shakes. Awhile back you said that you were going to buy Labrada glutamine(1000 servings). The only labrada glutamine powder that I can find is 1000gm/bottle. But someone on L&S said thatb you need to take 10-15gms a day. Even at 100 servings for $47 it's a good deal. I located it on Netrition but can't seem to find it on vitaglo or saveonsupplements. Where are you getting your from. Thanks

Also, if anyone has a jar of Betagen around, could you please tell me how much glutamine per serving (and creatine too). Thanks

Last edited by 2BFIT1; 06-28-2001 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:19 PM   #4  
GARDENING ADDICT

Susan~ Could you please send me the periodization document if you still have it in your computer. I know that I'm not ready for it now but I would like to learn more about it for the future (C2 or 3).Thanks
[email protected]
Old 06-29-2001, 08:33 AM   #5  

Did LBWO this morning. I think I need to add more weights to my squats already. I don't feel sore or shakey at all! However, my calves are burning!

I posted a question at L&S, but if you have any insight, it would be great. I have been doing deadlifts, and the only thing I feel is my lower back when doing them. I feel nothing in my hamstrings. Am I doing them wrong, or do I need to change to a different hamstring exercise??

Congratulate me!! I DID NOT weigh myself today!!! YES!!!!!
Old 06-29-2001, 09:20 AM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking I'm not ignoring you guys...

...but right after work I had a busy busy afternoon/evening! Got my hair highlighted (now I'm almost a blonde!!) then of course I had to go to my sister's house to show off - since she's the one who kept nagging me to do it in the first place. I'm glad I did get it done - it'll look good in my 12-week photos. I'm still thinking about having them done professionally but it depends on the $$ situation at the time. I may wait until end of C2 to do that. I saw TallJen's pix on L&S and that's what got me started thinking about going the pro route.

Then after going to Jen's I had a riding lesson which went great - afterwards Jim, Rooster (the cowboy who runs the ranch) and I went to a little Mexican place down the road for dinner. I had garlic prawns sauteed with mushrooms and peppers, rice and black beans and a salad with salsa verde. Also a couple of corn tortillas. I asked how they were prepared and the owner said he sautees the shrimp and veggies in a garlic broth. They were delicious! I probably shouldn't have had the tortillas but I was hungry - missed Meal #4 - opened my desk drawer to find I'm totally out of bars!

2BFIT1 - I messed up on the servings. AACK! I think I'm getting too close to 40. There's 1000 GRAMS in Labrada Glutamine. I bought it from Netrition (click on the link at L&S and they get a commission on what you order). According to the label there's 200 servings, not 1000. I was taking 2 servings of CytoVol a day with 2.5 g of glutamine per serving. So a Labrada serving is 5 grams. Still at $48 for 200 servings it is a MUCH better deal that CytoVol at $45+ for 45 servings. I just hope it tastes as good as CytoVol does!!! I really liked that Kool-Aid flavor.

I bought two big jars of BetaGen early on and I'm still on the first one - I also have a container of generic creatine that I'm going to use after the Betagen is finally gone. Betagen has 2g of creatine, 1g of HMB, 400 mg of glutamine, and 200 mg of taurine.

Shelley - GOOD FOR YOU! for not weighing yourself! I know how hard it is to stay off the darn scale after years of kowtowing to it...finally had to put mine in the closet!

I don't know about deadlifts - when I do them, I concentrate on contracting the hamstrings and I can REALLY feel it. Not doing deadlifts right now - my hamstring exercises are dumbbell lunges and standing leg curls (did them today in fact!).

Gotta hit the shower, gals!
Old 06-29-2001, 09:58 AM   #7  

Shelley,

CONGRATS ON STAYING OFF THE SCALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Deadlifts

I have to stiffen my glutes and hams and lift a few times before I get it "right". For some reason I think it is hard to position yourself with deadlifts. I know I have to move around the first few reps and really get the place there it pulls on the hams. Is your form correct? Weight high enough? If so, just tighten up those hams and glutes as you lift up. I also think that you have to have them pulling away if that makes any sense. Like there is a small arc to your legs so that it's as if they're pulling back. It's hard to explain but if you get the right position, you'll know what i mean. With some exercises (deadlifts, lunges) you have to "practice" to make sure the form is correct.

Try it and let us know.

Susan
Old 06-29-2001, 06:36 PM   #8  
GARDENING ADDICT

Hi everybody!!!
I had a great UBWO today with NO extra cardio~~~I'm sticking to the plan for challenge1.
Placed an order today w/Netrition~Labrada glutamine,Myo locarb bars,LaTortillas and a free T-shirt.
I feel energized!!!
~~~Sil
Old 06-29-2001, 07:10 PM   #9  

Very cool Sil!!! I had a great cardio session with no extra LBWO.

Seriously, I completely hate cardio but I did another killer workout today...good warm up and cool down but I do feel kinda restless the rest of the day. I love weight training. Doing UBWO tomorrow will be tough so I think I might actually get up at 5 and go to the gym (yes, on Saturday!). A friend is picking me up for an all day event at 7:30 and I would like to get to the gym, get home, shower and dress and get a Myoplex in before taking off (I'm sure she'll stop for coffee and donuts...yeech)>
Old 06-29-2001, 07:41 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down Yeah yeah YEAH!!

Totally busy day today at work!!!

I had my LBWO this morning. I must admit here that I am not a great fan of either squats or lunges (though I'm sure I'll love the results...).

Since I'm in the last two weeks of C1, I'm trying to push it and hit those 10's!!!

I'm also feeling a bit giddy 'cos of that highlighting. Anyone ever see that movie "Earth Girls are Easy" with Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis??? There's a scene where Julie Brown sings a song called "Cos I'm a Blonde, yeah, yeah yeah!!" For some reason that song has been going thru my head all day!!!

I'm getting myself prepared for my C1 12 week pix, highlighted yesterday...bikini wax on 9 July...and working on the (self) tan (no prob - even though I've been slathering on the SPF 30, I'm still getting a tan from working at the ranch all weekend!)

Later dudettes!!
Old 06-30-2001, 09:02 AM   #11  

Mrs. Jim-Blonde, buff, and tan. What more can you ask for???

Did my HIIT this morning. I jogged. Could not go more than 15 minute on intervals, then had to slow jog, and walk the rest of the way. I'm thinking maybe it is because I used to have a cup of coffee and 4 egg whites before going for my 3-4 mile jog at a steady pace. Now that I'm on BFL, I don't have anything but water beforehand, like Bill says to do.

Tomorrow is my FREE day! I can have some cereal and matzo (I won't overdo it though.) Can't wait.

I did weigh today. I am down a little bit (maybe a lb.)

Talk to you later!
Old 06-30-2001, 10:11 AM   #12  

MrsJim,

I just gotta ask: is the bikini wax painful? I have very sensitive skin and can break out in bumps and little pimples whenever I shave or wax......I've considered the bikini wax but am afraid I'd be just one big splotch.....

Shelley: STAY OFF THE SCALE!!!!!!!!
But you are doing marvelously!!! Keep up the good work!!!!!

As for me, I was up bright and early (4 am) and to the gym for UBWO and now am off to a seminar in SF for the day. I hope my food doesn't go loopy (lunch is provided). I also feel TOM coming on....ick....

see you ladies later!!!!!!!!
Have a good day,
Susan
Old 06-30-2001, 06:02 PM   #13  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Bikini Wax - painful??

I hate to say this, Susanje, but YES it is...if you go to someone who knows what she's doing, however, the pain will not last long and she'll know how to minimize it. I would NOT suggest doing it yourself...as far as breakouts, well, that may happen but it's a lot less likely than with shaving. Make sure you don't go to one of those cheap places - ask friends where they go. Some places re-use wax which is not REAL sanitary if you know what I mean!

I do shave there once in awhile but end up with lots of stubble. Waxing means you have WEEKS of stubble free skin. I have my brows waxed every three weeks and it doesn't bother me - just a slight sting when the wax is ripped off. Better than plucking!

It's about 3 p.m. and I've been working at the ranch since 7:00 this morning. I am WIPED OUT. Of course I did my 20 minute cardio before going so I think I've gotten enough exercise for the day! Tomorrow is wonderful FREE DAY. Can't wait! I am so ready for Mexican food!!
Old 07-01-2001, 07:36 AM   #14  

FREE DAY!! As I sit here eating my 5 egg whites and cup of oatmeal, then going out for a long bike ride! Actually, it will feel great biking after eating and having 2 cups of coffee, it will be what I used to do!! We are having lasagne for dinner (fat and salt!) I will not have very much at all!!

I have decided to make Sundays my weigh and measure day--that way maybe I will stay off the scale during the week, and it will be before my free day. Here are today's stats:

Bust-37 (and I'm lopsided at that!)
Waist-28 ( I remember when it was 22 inches--before kids! )
Hips(biggest part)-40
Thigh-24 (obviously a BIG problem for me!)
Calf-13 1/4
Weight-144.

I don't know how to measure my body fat. I have the calipers, but when I try to do it, I either don't pinch enough, or I pinch too much! I just can't get the hang of it, even though I have read how--I'm just stupid, I guess!

Susanje-My daughter bought some NAD's. I used it on my eyebrows. I think I'll try the bikini area and see how it does (not that I'll be wearing one soon.) Believe me the NAD's hurts just as much as wax!

Got to check out L&S now! Talk to you later!
Old 07-01-2001, 09:03 AM   #15  
Uber-Moderator!!

Angry Body fat measurements

Shelley - do you have the Accu-Measure calipers? If so, there are instructions posted in the "Utilities Library" at L&S, also Netrition.com has the instructions there as well. It does take a bit of practice to pinch the right way - you just use thumb and forefinger and kind of pull the skin/fat layer out a bit, then put the caliper ends on the pinch and squeeze GENTLY until you hear that click. I usually do it three times and average it out (even though it usually comes out the same all three times).

I'm really excited because I didn't WEIGH myself today but I did measure myself. I could really kick myself for not taking my measurements before starting - but I've already said that!

Today my waist is down to 27 inches (from 28 1/2" on May 13) and my hips are 37" (from 39" 5/13/2001). I also redid my caliper readings - and I'm below 22% which is OUTSTANDING!

Week 10 ended yesterday. Hard to believe I'll be done with my first Challenge in two weeks (actually less - I'll have my last C1 workout on the morning of 12 July, then we leave for Yosemite). As stated previously, I'm going to follow BFL to the letter (with the exception of Ab Boot Camp!) until the end of C1. So that means no cardio workout today - even though I will be working at the ranch this morning/afternoon while Jim goes to practice. Yesterday Jim and I (and the other gals) worked really hard - Jim was hoeing weeds while I filled water tanks, cleaned stalls, cared for the horses - then we tackled a HUGE job - cleaning out a paddock that has all gone to weeds and has about two feet of matted hay that we have to remove for a new boarder. WHEW!

Waxing - I could never do it myself - way too painful! I'll just pay the extra $$ and have my person do it. I've been going to Sky for years - she REALLY knows her stuff. After having my brows waxed for eons, I've NEVER had a breakout.
Closed Thread