Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 02:33 PM   #1  

Default Is this true?? Pasta better for you than brown rice??

I was looking at fitday, and I compared regular brown rice - no fat added - to spaghetti noodles - no fat added - and I couldn't believe that the pasta was better in calories, fat and carbs! Why does that seem like the total opposite of what makes sense? Both were 1 cup servings. It wasn't even the wheat pasta or the high protein pasta, just the regular kind that I have been demonizing in my cupboard while at the same time I was subjecting my husband and myself to brown rice!!! Is hot now cold, up now down, my fat now muscle? What is happening to my world?

Seriously, does this sound right to you all?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #2  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

That may be true with fat and calories, but not by much. Look at the fiber. Brown rice has way more fiber than regular white pasta.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:09 PM   #3  

Also, make sure you're comparing equivalent UNCOOKED WEIGHTS. When you measure by cup, either cooked or uncooked, you're not necessarily getting the same amount of food.

That's not to say I think pasta is evil. A cup of cooked pasta -- even white pasta -- at dinner a time or two per week isn't going to kill you.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:44 AM   #4  
singletrack chick

pasta, made with refined flour is nutritionally inferior to brown rice. as well funniegrrl had a fantastic point. one cup of uncooked brown rice will yeild a lot more finished product than one cup uncooked pasta.really one cup cooked brown rice will yield more food than one cup cooked pasta just because brown rice will pack into a measuring cup better. stick with the brown rice. if you want less calories eat less of it. the fiber is certainly going to fill you up faster and keep you full longer than some white pasta.
Closed Thread