Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #1  
Building a Better Me

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/250

Height: 5'3"

Default Late Night Snacking

So I've noticed my big problem (after almost a week of eating healthier) comes around 10pm. I'll do FINE all day! I'll be at 1500 calories (my current goal) and then around 10pm I'll get hte munchies and I'll eat... and eat... luckily I've curbed it to mostly healthy food, but still!

Is there any way to cure these late night munchie attacks?
Jacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #2  

I found that drinking a glass of milk helps, since it coats your stomach to where you aren't as hungry...and you can drink the fat-free stuff!
lovemychocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:22 PM   #3  

Is there anything wrong with late-night snacking, besides (obviously) the extra calories? Lots of days I only get in about 900-ish calories during the day, because I'm just not hungry, but I'll get hungry at night... last night I had some Kashi and soynuts. Any foods to avoid at night?
redchinamarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #4  

I've talked to a nutritionist about night-time snacking and was told that the idea that you shouldn't eat at night is just a myth. The bottom line, according to her is that calories are calories and assuming those late night snacks don't put you over your limit there is no harm done. I think the only thing you should avoid are the obvious foods or drinks high in caffine, etc. or anything that might interrupt your usual sleeping habits. Personally, I intentionally save 300-400 calories to eat later in the night after the kids have been put to bed. I have always been a late night snacker and don't think I could stick to a plan if I didn't fit that in for myself. So, I would say snacks at night are just like anything else regarding weight loss: aside from burning more calories than you consume there are no hard or fast rules rather it is just a matter of finding what works for you.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:42 AM   #5  

I am a midnight muncher too! If the urge becomes too much, I go to bed to sleep it off.
chubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #6  

I thought it was bad to eat at night because you can't burn the calories right away, since you fall asleep rather than walk around or do whatever?? I might be wrong though.
lovemychocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:30 PM   #7  

I heard that too -- that eating (especially too many kcals - especially carbs) at night right before going to sleep goes directly to fat storage. Better to eat 200 kcals (slightly more or less) of protein as it doesn't get stored as fat. Same, apparently, with a tiny bit of fat, like peanut butter (I'll sometimes take a t. of peanut butter in a spoon and suck on it like a lollypop if I'm desperate for "sumpin!) I'm on a quest to lose 23 lbs. and 11% bodyfat by April 4. Just started Mon 1/10 and am very new here and look forward to meeting you all! N2L
Never2Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:47 PM   #8  

I googled "eating at night and weight loss" and the first three links indicated that it is a myth that eating at night leads to weight gain or difficulty losing weight. Basically, they each state that since our bodies don't stop functioning just because we go to sleep we are still burning calories. Also, one mentioned that our bodies lose/gain weight over weeks not hours. Still, I've always heard the same rule which prompted me to ask the nutritionist in the first place. And I suppose, like anything else in dieting, late night snacking may affect each person differently. Personally, I've successfully lost weight while including snacks at night.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:43 PM   #9  
Building a Better Me

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/250

Eating at night is a myth I've talked to a nutritionalist about it today and they told me that it was a myth and so long as you stay within your daily range you're fine (just as jawsmom said)
Jacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:59 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I dunno. I can keep to the same amount of calories, and snack on only healthy choices late, and can't lose an ounce. But when I can go without night snacking, I start losing again.

One thing I found that helps, I snack if I'm just sitting. Say I sit and watch a movie...then I want to put something in my mouth. Instead, I get up and march in place in front of the TV. Been trying that lately and it's working to keep me from snacking.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:55 AM   #11  
singletrack chick

i used to save cals for late night snacking until i realized that i wasn't sleeping well because of it. now i get my 1500 in before 7 or 8 at night.

then if i get hungry i head straight for the bathroom. i floss, and brush my teeth, then i was my face, sometimes give myself a facial, it takes my mind off being hungry. then i go in the kitchen and start water for some tea. tea helps me sleep anyway. and after i spend all that time flossing and brushing my teeth, there is no way i'm going to eat something and mess up the dentist clean feeling.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:11 AM   #12  

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. I eat every 3 hours or so and come 9:00-10:00 (I eat dinner at around 6:00), I'm ready for a snack! I typically have one of my regular 100 cal. snacks at this time unless I'm not hungry or I've had a heavier than normal dinner. It is never mindless snacking because I know that if I start I won't stop, but I almost always have a healthy snack between dinner and bedtime. This works for me but I also recognize that evening snacking is just not an option for some people. I figure you just gotta do what ever works for you. If you think you can handle it and you're truly hungry, I say eat! Just make sure it's planned and healthy and don't allow yourself to fall into the mindless snacking.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

When I was counting calories, I saved some for later at night. Like Beverly, I planned snacking too.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:11 PM   #14  
<3 dorks

i have always heard that you burn the most calories at night.. that is why it is so important to get a good nights sleep when you are trying to lose weight?!
iheartadork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:49 AM   #15  

Thumbs up

Hi! I'm new here...well I'm a new member but I've been surfing this site for months now. I also get huge cravings to snack during the night. What I do is drink a big glass of water, wait 5 minutes, chances are you aren't hungry anymore, you were just thirsty. If I'm still hungry after that I'll have some yogurt or fruit, or some low fat crackers and thats more than enough. Just something smal so your stomach will stop bugging you
Nicole1883 is offline   Reply With Quote