South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 09:09 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Cool Kraft and South Beach (NEW!)

Hey, all! If you are new and haven't signed up for the Daily Dish, you might want to! Check out the official South Beach Diet Website at http://www.southbeachdiet.com/public/default.asp and get the Daily Dish for free--it's a daily newsletter with tips about the diet, recipes, tec. It's a great way to stay abreast of the changes to the diet, although we do post those changes to the lists in the FAQ.

Anyways, here's today's DD--I'm excited about the pizza, but pretty sad about the meal replacement bars. They seem to counter to everything Dr. A stands for! What do you think?

Quote:
Beach-Friendly Frozen Entrees, Cereals, and More!

Good news for busy South Beach dieters! This spring, Kraft Foods will launch a complete line of South Beach Diet™-branded packaged foods, including meal replacement bars, cereals, sandwich wraps, frozen entrees, and pizza. All the products meet the nutritional standards of the diet and have been approved by Dr. Agatston.

Staying on the Beach will be easier and more convenient than ever with Kraft's line of breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks — perfect for when you're pressed for time but want healthy options! These are all in line with The South Beach Diet™'s focus on choosing good carbs and good fats rather than being a low-carb or low-fat diet. Instead, Dr. Agatston encourages a balanced diet rich in foods such as whole grains, fresh produce, heart-healthy olive oil, and the like. Kraft's new products will reflect Dr. Agatston's commitment to heart-healthy eating: The pizzas, for example, will have whole-wheat crusts, low-fat cheese, lean meats, and plenty of vegetables.

These new products fit The South Beach Diet™ promise of being not just a diet, but also a way to eat for life.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:01 AM   #2  

Laurie, I agree with you. I'll have to take a look at the ingredients on all these new foods to see how processed everything really is. Even the bars would probably be okay for an occasional thing but my concern would be that people new to South Beach would start using the bars as a standard part of their diet and that just doesn't seem healthy to me.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:49 AM   #3  
I found my hipbones!

Well, personally, I'm kinda excited to see some quick-fix meal things come out that will be diet friendly. I don't see myself leaning too heavily on them, but it sure would be nice to not have to buy so much produce... The prices for fresh veggies have been skyrocketing here lately. I also wouldn't mind not having to make a salad every day for lunch.

I've been South-Beaching for about a year now, and I know for myself what's good for me and what's not. But I do see your point, Barb, about how these could be confusing for newbies.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:32 AM   #4  
I can do this!

I understand what you mean, Fuzzy. We do a good job of fitting in our cooking, but every so often, it would be great to pick up something ready to heat for dinner! The pizza sounds great for that reason. However, I love eating the fresh veggies...though they are pricey.

Have you tried looking in the frozen section for veggies? I've found several that are pretty decent for SBD...they might have an odd ingredient or two, but they are usually such a small amount that they really shouldn't cause problems, I think. Try Birds Eye Green Beans with Almonds or Broccoli and Cheese. You can also get plain frozen veggies and prepare those to save on the cost of fresh. Just as tasty and with almost as many nutrients, but much cheaper.

Fuzzy, why are you eating salads every day if you don't like them? Have you tried:
  • leftovers from dinner the day before?
  • A can of Progresso Lentil Soup and a veggie side dish (like sauteed zucchini)?
  • Lettuce rollups with meat and homemade minestrone soup? Chicken breast and a veggie salad with beans...like 3 bean salad or a zucchini salad (no lettuce)?
  • Veggie burger (I love Morningstar's Tomato Basil Burger) with cheese, open faced, along with red pepper and hummus, and a heated veggie side dish
And that's only if you don't eat a starch with lunch. If you do, there are even more options! You do NOT have to eat a salad every day...I would be rich, though, if I got a $1 every time someone told me, "I tried SBD, but I couldn't handle eating salads every day..." I eat a salad once or twice a week--that's it!

Yeah, those bars bother me. I just don't know how they'll make them following the tenets of the diet. I never was a big bar eater, though...so I don't know. And the newbies that would be confused by them...I bet that could be a problem. Lik you said, Fuzzy, you know the diet and how it works...so if you add bars in, you'll know what you're doing. But if you've never eaten this way, you could easily fall into using bars for many of your meals and snacks.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:54 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal
You can also get plain frozen veggies and prepare those to save on the cost of fresh. Just as tasty and with almost as many nutrients, but much cheaper.
Plain frozen veggies are actually pretty good. WAY better than canned, IMO. We ate frozen veggies when I didn't feel like cooking even pre-SBD.

One thing I've just discovered: Back when I used to live near a whole foods, I used to get their salad bar at lunch and one of the things I loved was to throw a handful of blanced blanched green beans on top. They add some really good and healthy bulk, the texture is great, and I like the taste. However, now that I live about 200 miles away from a decent salad bar, I have to make my own. Cleaning & cooking green beans is typically too much work for me to want to do just to throw a handful on a salad. I discovered recently that frozen green beans are just about as good as the fresh-cooked ones, and I can just microwave them until they're thawed but not hot and put them on a salad.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:14 PM   #6  
~*~Tara~*~

S/C/G: 240/234/150

Height: 5' 7"

Here's the Press Release from Kraft:

Quote:
KRAFT INTRODUCES NEW PRODUCTS FOR SOUTH BEACH DIET
Eating Right For A Healthy Lifestyle, Weight Loss

NORTHFIELD, ILL., January 7, 2005 -- Kraft Foods, North America’s largest food company, will expand its alliance with The South Beach Diet and its creator, Arthur Agatston, M.D., by launching a broad line of new products under the South Beach Diet brand. The wide variety of products – offering delicious choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as snacking – will reach national distribution in spring 2005. The South Beach Diet line will include cereal, meal replacement and cereal bars, refrigerated sandwich wraps, frozen entrees and frozen pizza.

“My goal is to help change the way America eats, and these great-tasting, nutrient-rich products from Kraft will make it even more convenient for people to follow The South Beach Diet – whether for a healthy lifestyle or weight loss,” said Agatston. “While consumers’ interest in radical diet fads like low carb and low fat tends to rise and fall relatively quickly, their desires for new and better ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle and manage their weight still continue to grow. The South Beach Diet has long-term staying power and is clearly different – it’s a proven diet that focuses on eating the right carbs and the right fats, along with lean sources of protein, so people can enjoy many of their favorite foods while eating right.

“It has been a great revelation to me that weight loss is not about low carbs or low fat, but the right carbs and the right fats. I am also encouraged that people appear to be shifting from strict low carbohydrate diets to more balanced approaches. Now I am seeing a growing consensus among nutrition experts about the importance of the right carbs like whole grains, fruits and vegetables in the diet, as well as including unsaturated fats like olive and canola oils – all consistent with The South Beach Diet,” he said. “The real secret to The South Beach Diet is that it’s not just a diet, it’s a way to eat for life.”

The new line further builds on the choices from Kraft’s existing brands already marketed as “South Beach Diet Recommended.” Last year, the company and The South Beach Diet teamed up by promoting a variety of well-known products, including Boca Burgers, Oscar Mayer Deli Meats, Crystal Light beverages and Planters assorted nuts, as “South Beach Diet Recommended.” In the fall, more than two million Americans received the Kraft South Beach Diet Recipe Sampler, a 90-page color booklet with recipes and tips that fit easily with The South Beach Diet. A similar 16-page booklet is now available in stores, just in time for New Year’s diet and health resolutions.

“We’re pleased by the strong consumer response to the alliance and the high demand for our South Beach Diet Recipe Sampler booklet along with increased traffic to our krafthealthyliving.com website,” said Howard Brandeisky, vice president, South Beach Diet Foods, Kraft. “Our alliance with The South Beach Diet, including both our ‘South Beach Diet Recommended’ products and the new line we are launching this year, gives consumers many choices to help people manage their weight as well as eat right for a healthy lifestyle.”

For some time, Kraft has been a leader in products that help people eat and live better, offering a range of nutritious alternatives like fat-free and sugar-free products, as well as those that leverage emerging health and wellness trends. Kraft’s product portfolio provides a broad range of options for consumers to choose different products for various eating occasions.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:31 PM   #7  
~*~Tara~*~

S/C/G: 240/234/150

Height: 5' 7"

I'm rather disappointed to see this as well. The frozen dinners I won't mind too much, as it will give a bit of variety once in a while. But this whole prepackaged meal thing that he's developing goes entirely against the guidelines of the diet he created!
Old 01-10-2005, 12:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

You beat me to it, I just read the daily dish and was about to post this. Great minds think alike?

I'm excited for myself because I've already learned the basics and it would be so convient to have something I can grab that I know is SBD friendly without stressing about it on days when I'm on the go and don't have the time for a meal or when I've woken up with just enough time to shower or eat breakfast before I run out the door for work.

But I also see what other people are saying with new people. They might concentrate on the convience of the meal replacement bars and frozen dinners and never learn the basics. Unless people are planning on frozen dinners for the rest of their lives.
Sarah
Old 01-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #9  
A Lily from my yard!

Well let's all hope he is goin to put out a new book with guidelines including this new Kraft line of products. We all know he could stand to update his book! I'm excited to see what they come out with for those hectic on the run times.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

IMHO, he has sold out! Sorry, Dr. A., but I'm disappointed in you. Are you turning into the other Dr. A.?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #11  
I can do this!

Ruth, that's kind of how I felt. I can see even the frozen dinners...you can freeze veggies and meat very well. But meal replacement bars? That just scares me.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:06 PM   #12  
kpw

So, I was on the Kraft site just to check out the new products and recipes and such (well, I have a lot of time on my hands these days since I was laid off in Dec and probably won't start my new job until Feb (crosses fingers)). Anyway, I'm always confused when I see SBD 'approved' recipes with things like fat free half and half and coolwhip. Everytime I go to the store I look at the labels of these prodcuts and they always have high fructose corn syrup or some such other no-no. What do others do with recipes with f/f half and half and cool whip? I've just avoided them altogether. It seems really inconsistent to me.

Ruth - I agree with you, I think Dr. A has sold out. When I first started SBD last year, I thought it was similar to the Zone and Balance diets, but when I looked at the Balance bars I had on hand, they had sugar, corn syrup, and a bunch of other nasties. I gave them away. I'll be looking at the Kraft food items *very* carefully.

Here's a SBD P2/3 dessert recipe from the site that has f/f 1/2&1/2:
http://www.kraftfoods.com/South_Beac...ecipe_id=66083
Old 01-10-2005, 06:22 PM   #13  
RNMOM

Default Any ingredients lists?

Did the site give any ideas or ingredient lists? I'm sure curious about that.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:32 PM   #14  
kpw

Yeah, here's the main Kraft/SBD page link:

http://www.kraftfoods.com/South_Beach_Diet/home

It has recipes, shopping lists, etc.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:01 PM   #15  

Height: 5'-2"

I just think it's a sign of the times. Many of us would love to have the time to cook a good, healthy meal three times a day, but it's not always feasible.
Certainly it's a better alternative than grabbing a burger with fries.

In an aside, I never buy Kraft. I'm not giving my money to any big-pig cigarette company. And I'm very disappointed in Dr.A, too.
Closed Thread