South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 06:10 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default TGIFreezing Friday - Jan. 7

Good morning. Grab a coffee or tea and cuddle up by the woodstove with me and The Girls. Then we'll draw lots to see who goes and shovels snow mountain out of the end of the lane!

We got a major dump yesterday and last year's ploughing guy is not doing it anymore! I called another guy and left a voice mail. I sure hope he just comes and does it. I'm sure I can get out to the road and had better as I have a 9 AM appointment at the car dealership. You can't just get an extra car key these days - you need an appointment for programming! I think bratty Lucy stole the other set from my pocket and has them stashed in the dog garden along with her other treasures!

After that I have a doctor's appointment about my knee. Tell me, girls, would it be tacky to shave just one leg?

I'll be back in a bit. Stay safe and warm
Old 01-07-2005, 06:24 AM   #2  

Ruth! I say go for it...shave one leg! We'll never tell! We had snow here yesterday too, but not too much, which I am grateful for. When there is a snow emergency, there is no parking on my street. Most houses in my neighborhood have no driveways, so we all have to park our cars in designated school parking lots. It's not a terribly long walk, but when it's cold out, having to walk down to retrieve a frozen, snow-covered car in the early AM is... well, YUCKY! So yeah, we don't like when they declare "snow emergencies" around here too much.

So, I have a vegetable question for you chickies this AM. Being someone who is in the "I don't really like veggies" Club, I am looking for more veggies to try. I am sick to death of broccoli and cauliflower and even my favorite--zucchini--is getting old. I eat salads, mostly mixed spring greens, baby spinach (but, for some reason I hate spinach when it's cooked) and I love arugala - but in the colder months I much prefer some hot veggies. Are there any greens that you eat that you especially like? And if so, how do you like to prepare them? I guess what I am looking for here is some variety. I definitely want to step up my veggie consumption! Oh maybe I'll try to find some eggplant recipes today too. I haven't had that in awhile.
Thanks for your ideas and suggestions and have a great day on the Beach!

Last edited by Kryss; 01-07-2005 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:47 AM   #3  
I vant to draw your blood

Good morning, Chickies~~

Ruth, I say be a wild woman and don't shave at all. I boycott the razor all winter long (except for my wedding anniversary and Valentines day ) Keeps my legs warmer, I'm convinced

Kris, have you ever eaten collard or other "greens"? The way they make them down here in the south ain't half bad... of course you have to modify it to be SBD friendly... Just wash them, slice them up into managable pieces, then saute them in some EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) with some turkey bacon sliced into bits and some minced onion and a clove of minced garlic. When they've wilted some, splash just a wee bit of chicken broth on them, put a lid on them, and turn down the heat and let them cook until they're tender. If you'd like to spice them up, sprinkle with some red pepper flakes like you find in Italian restaurants. Zo zimple, zo eazy. I like them with some boiled pinto beans.

The Flu has come to visit our house. Dh caught it somewhere and brought it home yesterday. I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed that he keeps it to himself.

Other than that, nothing much going on here. Gotta go make my lunch...hope you all have a great day on the Beach!

Mamacita
Old 01-07-2005, 06:51 AM   #4  

Thanks Mama, I am going to try that. I've never had collard greens in my life. (Do you watch Rachel Ray too? EVOO)
Old 01-07-2005, 06:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning!
Ruth, I agree with Kryss, just shave the leg that's going to be looked at. Only you will know! Be very careful driving in all that snow, I sure wish we had some of it. The temps here have mostly been in the 50s lately!! I say if it's winter, then snow!

Kryss, have you tried sauteed cabbage? Just heat some olive oil, then toss in your shredded cabbage with some garlic (and onions), and cook til the cabbage softens. It's delicious, especially if you use the red cabbage. I do green beans the same way.

There's nothing exciting going on here today. Going for my workout soon, then a bit of grocery shopping. I'm looking for a tasty way to cook shrimp for a Phase 1 supper, any ideas would be appreciated!
Old 01-07-2005, 07:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Morning Mamacita! I like that word, EVOO. Sure hope you don't catch the flu, don't let him breathe on you!
Old 01-07-2005, 07:06 AM   #7  

Good Morning Beach chicks!

Ruth, I would say skip the shaving too. Think of all the bucks doctors make, they can put up with a little hair!

I am suprised there is any snow left in that system to get to you folks farther east, but I must admit that I am glad our share is over for now. I hope everyone stays warm and safe! I get to go to work today. YAY!

Did I really say that? Yes! I do love teaching most days.

I have to toss a salad together for lunch and make breakfast for everyone. I am a little worried about tonight, as we have to go out to eat for the first time. One of our friends invited everyone (a group of about 15 friends) out for dinner. We are going to a Thai restaurant, so I am hoping there will be something OP for us!

Well, everyone have a wonderful day! I will pop on between classes today to see what is going on. Have fun at the beach!

Nally
Old 01-07-2005, 07:30 AM   #8  
We are all Beautiful!!!

Morning all!

I managed to get up and work out this am - unbelievable!

Ruth I would shave both legs or don't shave either. Because they may want to look at the other knee because you may be favoring it due to the soreness in the other one.

Kryss - Try getting a veggietarian cookbook. They do wonderful things with veggies.

Mama - I've been skirting the flu for weeks now. Everyone around me has had SOMETHING! So far so good.

Cottage - Not much going on here either!

Naly - Good luck tonight. Not sure what kind of advice to give except maybe tell them you are diabetic and you need a special diet low in sugar and starch. Or call ahead and see what may fit your diet.

Have an OP kind of day!
Old 01-07-2005, 07:38 AM   #9  
A Lily from my yard!

Wow hard to believe this many peeps already. I'm up and coughin my head off this morning. That's my biggest problem now. If I still feel bad monday I'll go see the doc. Still not sleepin worth a hoot. I wonder if it could be the steroids that he used in the nerve block. Well not to much on my agenda today. I have some Home Interior I need to get delivered and other than that a lil cleaning around the house. Although if I continue to feel like I do right now a nap maybe first on my list! lol
Ruth... To shave or not to shave... I have only shaved the one leg before. We have a shower stall (small) only in our bathroom so it is very hard to shave my legs in there. They'll never know.
Well it sounds like all y'all chicks are off to a good start this morning. I was gonna post to everyone but I am gonna have to get off here. My head is spinnin like a top. Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-07-2005, 07:51 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

Tee-hee! You chicks give good advice. Actually I think I'll just cornrow my legs and maybe do something with little beads! ROFLMAO!

Bamie, get better!

Anchor, good going on the workout.

Nally, I love to hear of teachers who love their job!

Cottage, I'd forgotten fried cabbage. That'll be what I do with the turkey sausages tonight.

Mamacita, I am going to turn my back on my northern heritage and try collards.

Kryss, I'm with you on veggies. I am really sick of broccoli and cauliflower and have given up on Brussels sprouts.

See y'all later. My tub is running and I have to get Harry cranked up and started on the day.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:54 AM   #11  
Trapped Skinny Person

Morning chickies

Ruth - I am with Anchor on this one - I say do both or neither - just think how weird it would be if you did just one then he wanted to look at the other as well

Kris - I don't know what to tell you about the veggies as I am in the same boat - let me know if you come up with some really good recipes ok

Mama - you didn't get the flu shot? Tsk tsk - make DH sleep with BIL

Cottage - I love making shrimp alfredo with whole wheat pasta on Phase 2 - maybe try that over spaghetti squash for phase 1? Look on Google for a lowfat alfredo sauce recipe - they are pretty easy to make. - I also add mushrooms and asparagus to mine - aww now I am hungry

Nally - welcome back to the world of the working
Be careful with the Thai food - don't they use a lot of sauces? Probably all corn starch - I second the suggestion to call ahead and see what's available there.

Anchor - Congrats on working out! I haven't yet fit any exercise into my schedule yet - next on my list of to dos.

Bamie - go back to bed - take it easy and get better. *Sending chicken soup vibes*

Me - I have managed to stay OP so far - today is day 5 of my phase 1 restart - hey should I be doing this for 1 or 2 weeks? Since it is a restart I mean? I am down 7 lbs so far - yay water weight

No major plans today - it's my last day at this job - I start a new one on Monday (so I may be MIA for a couple days).

I have a late holiday party on Sat - and will do my best to stay OP.

Have a good day and weekend all

P.S. Oh ya something weird happened to me yesterday - something that has NEVER happened before.........I stopped eating when I was full - even though there was more food on my plate....weird huh?

Kim
Old 01-07-2005, 08:04 AM   #12  

Height: 5'-2"

whoa!! It's not even 8:30, and there are already a kazillion posts!!

Ruth, I just wanted to say... wear knee socks, and just shave the knee.

I've got to run... healing hugs for all the sickies... ... and love to all of you... hope to be back later!
Old 01-07-2005, 08:07 AM   #13  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Morning chicks.... wow you chicks are posting like crazy, I am feeling lazy this morning, it is still snowing here but they did not close schools I am back on track today just like I promised I had my last shift last night so it is all about me now. I had an OP breakfast and have a turkey soup started that is full of veggies, I would like to add some barley but can't remember if we can have that on phase 1??? Well I must run and start the car for hubby he will be home here soon to take it to the dealership for new coil springs (recall). I will check in later.

I started the water game as well this morning so if I have to choke down water you chicks should play as well.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:14 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

No barley on Phase I, Little Chick.

All leg shaving has been cancelled. Neighbour Liz has had to borrow my car to take a kid to school because hers won't start. Right now she is stuck at the end of my lane and we are calling in the troops to push her out. I won't push but will drive. So....we take Julie to school and then I get my car back on time - I hope!

I think I'll have a Scotch and one of Harry's Ferraro Rochers!

Just kidding, Ellis!
Old 01-07-2005, 09:35 AM   #15  

Ruth - I say just don't worry about it at all.

Kryss - Try this recipe http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=156 It is in the Freezer/Make Ahead Meals - Phase 1. It is called Simple Eggplant Casserole. I have made it many times since Ruth posted it. I normally add mushrooms and zucchini to it in addition to the eggplant but that is optional. Slice the zucchini a bit thin if you add it to make sure it gets cooked.

Mama - Those greens sound good! I'll have to give them a try. Hope no one else gets the flu.

Cottage - Take a look at my Shrimp Creole recipe http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44047 It is only phase 2 if you serve it over rice. I like to put it over shredded cabbage for a nice phase 1 meal.

Nally - If you get a chance, see if the restaurant has a web site or give them a call to ask about their menu. It is better to be prepared. It is really hard to eat out on phase 1. Maybe someone here can help you with some OP thai food. Or search the forum for Thai. I think we talked about it once before?

Good morning to everyone else! You are posting faster than I can reply.
Closed Thread